Paranoid car owner: check
Ingenious solution: check
Interesting read: check
This is why we are on this forum
jaygeetee is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 13:09   #17
BHPian

Re: Using a copper 'dabba' to prevent theft of keyless entry cars

Would common aluminium foil do the same thing?
Old 5th November 2020, 14:45   #18
BHPian

Will not go over again like few others (just 2 posts back) on your choice to feel safe for your car while at home, and this is acceptable to keep the FOB at home in Box instead of simply in a Drawer. Fully understandable and not too far away from ordinary.

But do you really need a solution to carry this around while you go shopping? You don't expect thieves setting up entire team to line up in 'human+relay' chain to connect to your car while you happily shop around or are watching movie in the mall. Like adding 1 person every 30 ft.
vidyanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post

Chances of your vehicle being lifted is 0.03%. For some perspective, one has a greater chance of dying by having a coconut falling on their head than a car being stolen, doesn't mean everyone living in the south walks around with a helmet on their heads now do they?

Again, I mean no disrespect and felt that this was a little ott, but then again your car, your choices, it is a free world after all.
Good one.

So one day I left the key of my vehicle on the door itself, it does not have any fancy buttons. I came back a few hours later and the key is still hanging on the door. Although the vehicle has an immobilizer to keep fake keys away, its just a matter of peace of mind (did someone make an impression of the key?!).

I bought a heavy duty chain and the biggest disc type padlock I could find and started locking the vehicle`s steering overnight even when its inside the covered parking!!

And there is a CCTV camera too for good measure, sleepwell!
Old 5th November 2020, 15:51   #20
BHPian

This sounds like bordering paranoid.

I have a friend who told me what he did to his bike. He used around 10 locks or so to lock the bike in Bengaluru. He accepted that he is having a phobia of loosing things. There should be a name for this for sure. I'm opposite and I don't care much and I was told this too is a psychological condition. Kind of care less.

Last edited by sgmuser : 5th November 2020 at 15:52. Reason: Typo
sgmuser is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 18:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

All those calling the OP paranoid didn't have any of their cars stolen, did they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
My new Creta is only 3 weeks old
While the dabba is great it doesn't make your car theft-proof. If you park your car roadside then please get rid of the car cover and instead get yourself a gear lock as well as a clutch pedal lock. Maybe put something reflective on the gear & clutch lock to make it visible. Get a steering lock also if it isn't too much hassle.

How accessible is the fuse tray in Creta? If its cakewalk then just take out the one which controls any electronic module that doesn't let the car crank.

GPS based car tracking systems also work great in sending SMS alerts but this call for more hassle (can elaborate if needed) and would impact your sleep quality to say the least.

More visible locks / deterrents, less the chances of getting your car jacked. However, if someone MUST have your Creta, they'll take it after spending 15-20 minutes instead of the regular 5-10 mins.

Lastly, keep your insurance up to date, include costly accessories as part of insurance and then just chill. If someone jacks your car, just buy another one!
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:06   #22
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Would common aluminium foil do the same thing?
Faradays cage works with conductors. So yes, aluminum foil will work.
You can try it yourself. Cover your mobile phone fully with aluminum foil and try calling that number. It would be unreachable.

It is really interesting to see manufacturers creating newer tech features but in the end we resort to old techniques (Gear lock, Steering lock) for fool proof safety.
Technology has its share of disadvantages.
J4J is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:17   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Since we are on this topic of thieves stealing cars using remote key, I have an observation to report.

Every time, I keep my phone and the remote key in the same pocket of my pants, the car doesn't detect the key and I can't unlock the door with the access buttons. If I remove either of them from the pocket, the car starts detecting the keys. Phone and the keys don't go well together.

Last edited by ashis89 : 5th November 2020 at 19:30.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 02:28   #24
BANNED

I would suggest investing in a detachable sports steering wheel and taking it with oneself after parking.
COMMUTER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 04:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
I would suggest investing in a detachable sports steering wheel and taking it with oneself after parking.
And what do we do about the airbag, steering mounted controls and horn?
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 04:46   #26
Team-BHP Support

A quick question for the OP, what happens when you park in a public place, like a mall or a restaurant and such guys follow someone, can they not create a clone? In such situation, the permanent key covers, won't that be a better option?
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 08:01   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
And what do we do about the airbag, steering mounted controls and horn?
Horn and steering mounted music controls can be worked around with a WOLO RC 100 and a Bluetooth music system controller. For safety, we can upgrade to a five point hardness which might require a racing seat. I haven't observed rally cars having airbags. The drivers do wear a helmet though.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 10:01   #28
BHPian

Innova Crysta's key has an option to disable the signals from the key to save battery. when there is no signal from the key, no one can amplify it.
raghukodali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:36   #29

The keyless entry always makes me uncomfortable. These key fobs are like credit cards with a wireless chip which does not even ask for the PIN and just a tap is enough to make the transaction.

I have never owned a car with keyless entry myself, hence not aware of the practical aspects.

Can someone please shed some light on these aspects?

1) What is the range of these key fobs?
2) Advertisements mention that having the key in your pocket is enough to press the unlock sensor and open the door. Is it possible that someone else can open the door while the key is in my pocket and I am standing within close range to the car?
3) Do the cars provide any kind of mechanism to disable this feature, maybe for safety?
4) Is it just a convenience feature or does it have any added security enhancements?
vroom_vroom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Ganesha idol to protect the car and now Ganesha dabba to protect the key! Thanks for sharing.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks