Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2020, 18:14   #1

Alternator regulator replacement

Vehicle : Alto Lxi (2003)
Kms driven: 52k

I am an absolute noob and sorry for the long post.

1.5 months back I was driving to my hometown (61km journey). Along the way (15 kms in) I had my engine oil and coolant replaced. It must have been around 35-40kms after this, suddenly the horns become faint. The vehicle was constantly running so I was puzzled how battery could affect the journey. I had to make a stop at a restaurant and of course couldnt start the engine after this. A few cab drivers (who suggested alternator issues) nearby helped me push start and I drove to my home. The next day I had a car battery person come to my home. He checked the battery (5+ years old) and said that the battery is faulty and I replaced it to a new Amaron. I had driven about 60 kms on the new battery and then at once I couldn't start the car from a stop I had made a few minutes ago. This time the horns didn't give me a warning. I went to a nearby Maruti Authorised Service Centre (not showroom center) and they said they had to replace alternator regulator, alternator belt, and clean the starter motor brush and quoted 3100/-. I let them do it and the car has been going fine (1000kms) except that whenever I am going half clutch I hear a rattling noise along with the vibration from the front of my car (probably inside the bonnet). Im fact I hear this whenever my car vibrates for example wrong gear while uphill etc. As soon as it starts driving it goes away. Does improperly repairing the alternator assembly in anyway affect the engine? The service station is too far from my current and I needed to know if should wait until I go there (in 30 days) or have the nearest showroom service station check my car. Also could they tell if the regulator was actually replaced or they duped me? The nearby showroom service station charges mandatory 750 for vehicle sanitization before inspection which I'm willing to pay if it is the best option.

PS : Could the first engine oil/coolant place have messed up the voltage regulator in anyway?
groundhog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 21:30   #2
CSA
BHPian

re: Alternator regulator replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
Does improperly repairing the alternator assembly in anyway affect the engine? The service station is too far from my current and I needed to know if should wait until I go there (in 30 days) or have the nearest showroom service station check my car. Also could they tell if the regulator was actually replaced or they duped me? The nearby showroom service station charges mandatory 750 for vehicle sanitization before inspection which I'm willing to pay if it is the best option.

PS : Could the first engine oil/coolant place have messed up the voltage regulator in anyway?
First thing there is no part number available for Voltage Regulator in Maruti Suzuki Parts Catalogue. Maybe any terminal or grounding terminal of Alternator got rusted over time.
I cannot say what is causing rattling sound in engine. Kindly check for any loose bolt or nut where repair was performed. Avoid using half clutch because it will wear your car's clutch.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th October 2020 at 04:56. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
CSA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 22:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSA View Post
First thing there is no part number available for Voltage Regulator in Maruti Suzuki Parts Catalogue. Maybe any terminal or grounding terminal of Alternator got rusted over time.
Thanks
In that case should I first go to a showroom service station and ask them to check what repair has been done on the alternator? They told me it was a TVS brand regulator and tht they took it to the TVS service station to get it replaced. Also the starter motor brush cleaning (1000/- rupees included in the total bill of 3100/-). Does that sound bogus?
Old 18th October 2020, 23:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Alto Lxi (2003)
Kms driven: 52k

had my engine oil and coolant replaced.

35-40kms after this, suddenly the horns become faint.

He checked the battery (5+ years old) and said that the battery is faulty and I replaced it to a new Amaron

had driven about 60 kms on the new battery and then at once I couldn't start the car

had to replace alternator regulator, alternator belt, and clean the starter motor brush and quoted 3100/-. I let them do it and the car has been going fine (1000kms) except that whenever I am going half clutch I hear a rattling noise along with the vibration from the front of my car (probably inside the bonnet)
The engine oil and coolant replacement have no connection with the electrical issue.

An alternator should not give issues at 53k kms.

I suspect your belt was a little loose and as a result it was slipping and your battery wasnt getting charged by the alternator.

Was the oil replacement done by the same MASS that changed the belt and serviced the alternator?

At the time of replacement of your battery, was the voltage on the battery checked with the car running? It should have read 13.8-14.2V with car running and approx. 12.6V with engine off.

On the vibrations at half clutch, it is just that your pressure plate is getting old and weak, and that is causing the car to shudder when you set off from a full stop.

There was no need to service the starter but it is ok since your car is 17 years old.

Easiest thing for you to do is to measure voltage across battery and verify if the values are as above.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 23:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Easiest thing for you to do is to measure voltage across battery and verify if the values are as above.
Thanks for the help.

Will get that done ASAP. I guess since it's only been a month, the MASS where I get this done could also verify if the alternator belt was in fact replaced or just adjusted.

And no the engine oil was changed at a different place.
Old 19th October 2020, 00:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSA View Post
First thing there is no part number available for Voltage Regulator in Maruti Suzuki Parts Catalogue.
But there are child parts available in Denso or Lucas TVS and that's what workshops use to overhaul the alternator. MASS used similar Denso parts in my 800 too.

Alternator regulator replacement-20180321_111139.jpg

Alternator regulator replacement-20180412_155649.jpg

Alternator regulator replacement-20180412_155603.jpg

Alternator regulator replacement-20180412_160515.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 09:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Vehicle : Alto Lxi (2003)
I let them do it and the car has been going fine (1000kms) except that whenever I am going half clutch I hear a rattling noise along with the vibration from the front of my car (probably inside the bonnet). Im fact I hear this whenever my car vibrates for example wrong gear while uphill etc. As soon as it starts driving it goes away.
I am struggling with exactly same problem on my wife's Alto K10 2013 which has done 47k till date. After a body shop repair at MASS which included hood, fender and some engine parts replacement, this noise appeared. Since then i have taken this car thrice to the service center but they are not able to figure the noise. Every time it is more of some lame excuses given like "Sir when you come for service we will check this". This time when i went to them, service was due ,however i told them i want the problem rectified first. They took test drives twice with two different people on board. They said lets put a new air filter assembly, do throttle body injector cleaning and also see if engine mounts are bad. They did everything and serviced the car too. But the problem is still there. Now they say it may be due to worn out clutch which is causing vibrations. Now, the car makes noise every time when the clutch is half way through. Though it used to make this noise at neutral idling too earlier but that has reduced with time. I was so pissed that i thought of discarding the car and then not buy again a Maruti(May be it can happen on any car but the engine noise along with body rattles makes a Maruti worse than a old DTC bus)

Last edited by RaSing : 19th October 2020 at 09:28.
Old 19th October 2020, 18:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Alternator regulator replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Now, the car makes noise every time when the clutch is half way through. Though it used to make this noise at neutral idling too earlier but that has reduced with time. I was so pissed that i thought of discarding the car and then not buy again a Maruti(May be it can happen on any car but the engine noise along with body rattles makes a Maruti worse than a old DTC bus)
Please get the entire clutch assembly checked - pressure plate, friction plate and the release bearing.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks