Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2020, 06:55   #1
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue

Team-BHP is a responsible automobile forum. What makes this site better than the rest are a complete lack of funding (i.e. advertising) by carmakers and the unbiased, comprehensive nature of reviews that don't miss even minor things. The collective knowledge shared by members for the benefit of everyone (including non-member/guest readers) is another distinguishing feature.

Now, if a roadside reviewer on YouTube says something like "Venue & Sonet are built on the Santro platform", one can just laugh heartily at his/her sheer automobile illiteracy. If a pathetic auto journalist at an archaic auto rag or a video review joker on the idiot box utters stuff like "Indian Venue is built on a completely different platform compared to the global Venue", one can just dismiss the ignorant dinosaur who gets paid by auto companies to put down a rival's product.

However, it's extremely sad if such mighty myths are repeated again and again by members (who simply haven't done their homework) on a responsible forum such as Team-BHP!

It's Time To Bust A Pair Of Mighty Myths!

Mighty MYTH number 1: Venue & Sonet are built on the Santro platform

Simple FACT: Venue & Sonet have got absolutely nothing, nil, nada to do with the Santro platform. The large 1.5 U2 CRDi simply cannot be accomodated into the small Santro platform!

Mighty MYTH number 2: Indian Venue is built on a completely different platform compared to the global Venue

Simple FACT: Indian Venue (QXi) and international Venue (QX) are built on the same platform!

It's time to bust these damned myths once and for all!

I'll show you the technical diagrams of the underside of the monocoque platform of the cars in question here. Wear your reading glasses, take out your magnifying glass, observe very, very, very carefully and decide for yourselves.

Monocoque of Santro (AH2):

Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue-screenshot_202009210219293.png

Monocoque of Grand i10 Nios (AI3):

Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue-screenshot_202009210223042.png

Observe the similarities in the two cars' monocoques? Yes, of course, they look very similar, with a few differences. That's because Santro, Grand i10 Nios and Aura are all built on the same K1 platform.

Now, let's get to the Venue, both Indian and international.

Monocoque of Indian Venue (QXi):

Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue-screenshot_202009210225412.png

Does this even look anything remotely similar to the Santro platform??? NO!

It doesn't take an automobile engineer or a high IQed genius to see this, even a 7-year old child would be able to tell you that the third platform is completely different from the first two! Do observe how six longitudinal members are present on the floor as compared to merely four on the Santro & Nios. Do observe how the front portion of the car has a very different structure compared to the two smaller cars shown before. Do observe the pronounced centre tunnel portion on the Venue as opposed to the flat one on the smaller cars. Do observe the huge differences in the wheel wells, strut mounting areas, fuel filter cut-out area etc. etc.

Now, there can be no better busting of mighty myth number 2 than looking at the international Venue and comparing it with the previous image.

Monocoque of the international Venue (QX):

Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue-screenshot_202009210230312.png

Are the two (QX & QXi) built on the same platform? Of course they are!

Are there differences between QXi and QX even if they are built on the same platform? Yes, there are some differences, not in the platform, but in the strength of steel used for some members.

In all these diagrams, grey represents mild steel. Blue represents high strength steel. Red represents ultra high strength steel (hot stamping).

On the international Venue's floor, Hyundai have used high strength steel in the flat portions also, compared to only the longitudinal members on the Indian Venue. Also, they have used hot-stamped ultra high strength steel in a few places while the Indian Venue makes do with high strength steel in those. The Indian Venue also has the front vertical member in high strength steel while the international Venue only has it in mild steel.

So, the platform of the Indian Venue (QXi) is absolutely the same as that of the international Venue (QX)! The difference is only the strength of steel used in some portions.

Now, that both mighty myths have been smashed to smithereens, there still remains one question. On what platform is the Venue (both Indian & international) built?

Is it the i20 (GB) platform, as I have claimed previously? Let's look at this one now.

Monocoque of i20 (GB):

Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue-screenshot_202009210236372.png

As you can clearly see, while there are some similarities, there are also quite a lot of differences. Hmmmmm, this one didn't quite work out as well as I expected.

So, what's left? The Verna (HCi) is an obvious candidate. Let's take a look now, shall we?

Monocoque of Indian Verna (HCi) sedan:

Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue-screenshot_202009210435312.png

Holy cow! Just look at all the stunning similarities between the Venue & Verna!!! But the Verna happens to be a 4-door sedan. A better comparison would be with a 5-door hatchback. Hyundai do not sell the Accent/Verna hatchback in India, so we will have to look overseas, where they do sell one.

Monocoque of the international Verna (HC) hatchback:

Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue-screenshot_202009210444362.png

This resembles the Venue monocoque even more as it's a 5-door hatchback. Also, do note that the steel used on the Indian Verna (HCi) everywhere is exactly the same as the international Verna (HC). Unlike on the Indian Venue, Hyundai did not skimp on the hot-stamped ultra high strength steel portions on the Indian Verna at all.

Clearly, of all the monocoques we have seen so far, the Verna (HC & HCi) bears the deepest & closest resemblance to the Venue (QX & QXi)!

So is the Venue built on the Verna platform then? The answer would be a resounding YES!

Man! What an utter shock this would come as to those who were peddling mighty myths that the Indian Venue is built on the Santro's K1 platform, while it turns out that the Venue is built on the Verna's K2 platform after all!!!

But, but, much to the chagrin of the mighty myth peddlers, the Verna (HCi) is built on the same K2 platform as the Elantra (ADi)!!!

So, let's go ahead and take a look at the Elantra platform now.

Monocoque of Indian Elantra (ADi):

Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue-screenshot_202009210635162.png

As one can see, the Elantra's platform is almost the same as the Verna's, as they are both the same K2, which also happens to bear the deepest & closest resemblance to the Venue's platform! Elantra does have a few more sections in hot-stamped ultra high strength steel as one can see.

Ah! It clearly looks like the K2 platform is shared by the Elantra, Verna & Venue! Oh my God! The insides of the rabid haters of Hyundai would be absolutely burning up uncontrollably now, since the object of their blind, rabid hate has been proven to be built on the superior Verna K2 platform that is also shared with the Elantra!!!

From all this, it is quite obvious that the Venue (QX & QXi) clearly shares its platform with the K2 Verna (HC & HCi) and also the Elantra (ADi)!

I REST MY CASE!

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2020 at 07:40. Reason: Request to please be civil, polite & respectful at all times. Thank you
RSR is offline   (182) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 10:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Initial Driving Impressions & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post

From all this, it is quite obvious that the Venue (QX & QXi) clearly shares its platform with the K2 Verna (HC & HCi) and also the Elantra (ADi)!

I REST MY CASE!
Thanks for the information very illuminating will verify the same with hyundai cams in the coming days. Additionally would you mind posting one for the new Creta 2020 I know the people would quite like it.

PS This is not a court of law but a place where people can increase their knowledge in the process be better car people and that is done by interaction and scientific proofs, not by getting angry and envoking mods.
Brishti is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 10:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

That's quite a lot of research & kudos for that. I understand next to nothing about platforms & how to identify them as same Or different. To my layman's eyes - all platforms appear the same .
Quote:
Simple FACT: Venue & Sonet have got absolutely nothing, nil, nada to do with the Santro platform. The large 1.5 U2 CRDi simply cannot be accomodated into the small Santro platform!
You mean the platform cannot accommodate the 1.5 CRDi or the Santro/i10 BODY cannot accommodate it? Because most modern car makers would keep their platforms modular/versatile enough to accommodate these engines. The AURA does support all the Venue petrol engines including the TGDI for example & also the smaller ~1.2 diesel engine. How much larger is the 1.5L I wonder. Would be a good investigation to do. Again - I'm not linking this to whether Venue uses the same platform or not debate at all - I don't have an opinion about it nor do I care much. For me all that matters for safety is a GNCAP rating. (Without a rating - all are Datsun Go & all are also equally a Volvo IMO.) So my query is purely from a technical point of view of engine compatibility with the platform in question - slightly off topic from your main point. Sorry about that.

Its okay for a folks to have own opinions & disagreements. Thats what keeps a forum interesting afterall. Debates & agreements to disagree. Afterall, not everyone will always be paying attention to details. Is individuals & their own interests. Even if today someone draws a line saying the platform is same - you'll see 100 new members joining the forum next week, with a different opinion again. Forums are best useful when used with a pinch of salt to pick whats useful from other members & ignore what not likeable after a bit of a debate. Cheers.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st September 2020 at 11:10. Reason: Quote post edited
Reinhard is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 10:57   #4
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post

Thanks for the information very illuminating will verify the same with hyundai cams in the coming days.
You're welcome! I have one request. When you get your information, please do so from a senior engineer (preferably a South Korean) or a car designer. People in other branches would be clueless and may not give you the correct information.

Quote:
Additionally would you mind posting one for the new Creta 2020 I know the people would quite like it.
Sure, sir.

First generation Creta (GS):

Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue-screenshot_202009211043532.png

Second generation Creta (SU2i):

Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue-screenshot_202009211045012.png

Quote:
PS This is not a court of law but a place where people can increase their knowledge in the process be better car people and that is done by interaction and scientific proofs, not by getting angry and envoking mods.
Sorry if I sounded angry, I didn't mean to. I was just a bit over-excited and perhaps slightly frustrated, but absolutely nothing personal against anybody at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

You mean the platform cannot accommodate the 1.5 CRDi or the Santro/i10 BODY cannot accommodate it? Because most modern car makers would keep their platforms modular/versatile enough to accommodate these engines. The AURA does support all the Venue petrol engines including the TGDI for example & also the smaller ~1.2 diesel engine. How much larger is the 1.5L I wonder. Would be a good investigation to do.
I'm not an insider or an expert, but from what I've seen so far, the K1 platform is meant for their smallest cars, and is therefore quite compact & light. The platform doesn't have the ability of accomodating the 1.4 or 1.5 CRDis.

The 3-cylinder 1.0 Kappa T-GDi and 4-cylinder 1.2 Kappa are quite compact motors, as is the 3-pot 1.2 U2 CRDi, but that's not the case with the 4-pot 1.5 U2 CRDi.

Modular platforms are the future, but even then, there are limitations. For instance Renault-Nissan's CMF-A+ platform, while being a part of a modular family, simply cannot accomodate their (currently available) diesel engines.

Last edited by RSR : 21st September 2020 at 11:20.
RSR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 11:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Man! What an utter shock this would come as to those who were peddling mighty myths that the Indian Venue is built on the Santro's K1 platform, while it turns out that the Venue is built on the Verna's K2 platform after all!!!
Thanks a lot for sharing this information. I believed this myth of K1 to be really true and used to imagine a Santro silhouette around my venue

Your information has cleared the confusion.
KVNair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 12:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Team-BHP is a responsible automobile forum.

Thanks a lot for treasure trove of information. Looks like we are all fed with so many contrasting views that it sometimes become very difficult to believe which is true. I stand corrected on this K1 myth.

All these would not have happened had Hyundai/Kia be clear with their messaging regarding safety to public. When there are two 5-Star rated car in the segment and you keep mum on the safety part, one does tend to get suspicious. I am still wondering why they don't boast about the platform sharing with a 20-25 Lakh segment car like Elantra. This when they trumpet in US about its safety rating for their cars.

PS: One of the main quality or trait why Team-bhp is epitome of righteousness is the humility that we carry along with truth. Request you to tone down the sarcasm, irritation and frustration. We all are learning here and its been a privilege to get more information!
RaghuVis is online now   (56) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 13:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
... When there are two 5-Star rated car in the segment and you keep mum on the safety part, one does tend to get suspicious. I am still wondering why they don't boast about the platform sharing with a 20-25 Lakh segment car like Elantra.
I too was wondering about the same. It seems that the reason is already mentioned in the fine print below:

Quote:
... Monocoque of Indian Venue (QXi) ... Monocoque of the international Venue (QX): ... Are there differences between QXi and QX even if they are built on the same platform? Yes, there are some differences, not in the platform, but in the strength of steel used for some members.
So it clears up the confusion that the difference lies in the strength of the steel used but otherwise it is the "same" platform. It also means that there will be differences in the crash test scores between the Indian Venue and international Venue, if these two were to be crash tested.

Last edited by gmhossain : 21st September 2020 at 13:34.
gmhossain is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 17:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's Time To Bust A Pair Of Mighty Myths
This is definitely a big confusion that has existed on this forum and elsewhere for a long time. Hope your detailed post becomes a reference for the future. Thanks for your efforts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNair View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing this information. I believed this myth of K1 to be really true and used to imagine a Santro silhouette around my venue .
Also, you can possibly feel safer now with the knowledge of the car being based on the superior K2 platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Thanks for the information very illuminating will verify the same with hyundai cams in the coming days.
Would be good to hear the confirmation from your verification as well. And once done, I think we can get the Venue Official Thread updated as well to reflect the platform correctly.

Does it mean Hyundai-Kia kept the dimensions of these vehicles this small only because they do not want these to cannibalize the sales of their Big Brothers (Creta/Seltos)? On the other hand, it also looks like a missed opportunity that they could have created the best vehicle in the Sub 4M which could have taken on Nexon/Brezza in the Interior Space as well.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 21st September 2020 at 17:23.
vsrivatsa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 17:45   #9
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

Hope your detailed post becomes a reference for the future. Thanks for your efforts
You're welcome, sir. I must say, I'm sorry if some of my earlier replies to you sounded very sarcastic or snarky.

I didn't mean to sound so, just got a bit over-excited and frustrated that everyone seemed to be jumping on me for trying to make a valid point.

Last edited by RSR : 21st September 2020 at 17:49.
RSR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 18:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You're welcome, sir.
No worries - it looks like you surprised yourself as well with your research apart from the rest of us. While it got promoted from K1 to K2 for many of us, it got promoted from GB to K2 for you as well

Given your knowledge in these areas, I would encourage you to write a more comprehensive article covering the topic of platforms for the "Technical Stuff" section here - I am sure your article would adorn the Home Page in no time!

I think Hyundai-Kia should create a simple page with Platform details in the same way that Maruti has done : URL

Off Topic: Now what surprised me on that page is that Maruti have listed S-Cross under the Heartect Platform while many on this forum including me believe that it is based on the Brezza Platform which is a Global Platform. Brezza and Ciaz are not listed on that page. I guess one confusion ends and another starts...life goes on

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 21st September 2020 at 19:02.
vsrivatsa is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 21:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You're welcome, sir. I must say, I'm sorry if some of my earlier replies to you sounded very sarcastic or snarky.

I didn't mean to sound so, just got a bit over-excited and frustrated that everyone seemed to be jumping on me for trying to make a valid point.
Mate, stop being and saying sorry. It's fine now. Personal attacks are not tolerated and that's conveyed properly to you by admins.

What you've done by sharing what you did, is a service. To improve knowledge. That's great. Move on by contributing like that, positively.

Sorry, i had to write that, seeing all the snag comments, after. Cheers!

Last edited by Aditya : 24th September 2020 at 05:00. Reason: Please refrain from making personal attacks on other BHPians
k_ajay is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 22:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:

I REST MY CASE!
This is a very informative write up. Neither am I a fan or Hyundai nor dislike Hyundai but found the knowledge shared very invaluable.

But this would have been lot better to read if not for all the passive aggressive quips and calling people idiots, fools and some other variant of it.
Yieldway17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 00:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:

I REST MY CASE!
This is an outstanding post . A great great detail of invaluable information. Kudos to you for such a detailed technical post.

I hope the moderators now go back and update the opening post of the Hyundai Venue's official review. It would be a great dis-service if they don't do that.

Quote:
The Venue is based on the K1 platform which made its debut in the Santro
I also wonder from where they got the above information, which is now proven to be clearly incorrect. I am glad that you gave a detailed technical response.

Couple of questions from me. Are we correct in assuming on the below (or) are there any differences in platform or usage of high strength steel between the Hyundai and Kia products?

1. That both the Venue and Sonnet share the same platform
2. That both the Creta 2.0 and Seltos share the same platform

p.s: Just checked the engine bay of the Santro and the Venue from the official review pictures. You are 100% correct that there is no way the 1.4 CRDi or the 1.5 CRDi can be fitted into the Santro's platform!!

Last edited by searacer932 : 22nd September 2020 at 01:03. Reason: added an additional note
searacer932 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:32   #14
BHPian

The Venue/Sonet duo is based on the Santro K1 platform. I watched many reviews on YouTube and none of them talk about this. Everybody is gaga over the features and the looks. No talks about it's safety ratings as well. Also, about the ride and handling part, just Faisal Khan of Motorbeam said that the ride if stiffer and handling isn't that great. Others just have all praises for the Sonet. If you ask me, safety, ride and handling and engine, gearbox are the first 3-4 things that make or break a car. The junta craves just for the features and the looks, that I understand but these experts/reviewers should know better. Also, I am surprised to see almost no talks about Sonet/Venue's safety here on TeamBhp.
itsashishsharma is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 13:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
The Venue/Sonet duo is based on the Santro K1 platform. I watched many reviews on YouTube and none of them talk about this. Everybody is gaga over the features and the looks. No talks about it's safety ratings as well.
It is true that since the Santro's dismissal safety rating everyone is doubtful about the safety of Venue as it was believed it to be based on the Santro (K1 platform).
However, fellow BHPian RSR has provided contradictory results with proof that Indian and International Venue are indeed based on similar platform with differences being restricted to the strength of the steel.

Ofc, the difference in strength of the steel would have substantial affect on the safety standards. But, the main point to be noted is that the Venue is definitely not based on the Santro's K1 platform as several auto portals claim to!

Attaching link to the post by RSR.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4890905

Thank you!
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks