Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2024, 23:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Gear slotting issues in my VW Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhav96 View Post
I guess I’ll have to go the expensive route with the authorized service centers. Yup parts are exorbitantly expensive and considering my car is ageing, it begs me to ask, is it worth it?
It would be a quite expensive repair at the ASC considering you will need to open the gearbox.
Before this you may need to eliminate a faulty release bearing as well, but most likely it is not a bearing issue, because if it was then it will make a grinding noise once you start the vehicle. Hope its not otherwise you will have a blown clutch as well.

After this, you can open the gearbox and inspect the whole thing, there will be a plate which will house the input shaft and output shaft and this also is a bearing geometry, so do inspect that as well. Replace the synchronizer and also eliminate any other thing which is not in good shape as you cannot be opening the gearbox every time. Usually the gearbox in manual will last long if maintained regularly. I will attach a picture of how your gearbox will look like once you open it, so you can refer the same. Gear slotting issues in my VW Polo-20240410_153657-1.jpg
The left side will be the plat which will have a bearing which also needs inspection thoroughly since you are opening it anyways.
Do also see the housing as well where this assembly will sit. Picture here:
Gear slotting issues in my VW Polo-20240405_183810.jpg

If you can find a very reliable FNG who has the experience/expertise to work on such a major repair, if not get it done at the ASC to avoid hassles by paying the premium.

Happy Motoring!
Old 8th July 2024, 01:12   #32

Re: Gear slotting issues in my VW Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsilver View Post
It would be a quite expensive repair at the ASC considering you will need to open the gearbox.
Before this you may need to eliminate a faulty release bearing as well, but most likely it is not a bearing issue, because if it was then it will make a grinding noise once you start the vehicle. Hope its not otherwise you will have a blown clutch as well.
Yup I did have a busted bearing in the shaft housing the 3rd gear. The bearing ball ended up getting stuck in my clutch and had to repair the clutch set along with getting a fresh bearing pressed in the said shaft. Fortunately i have a person who is really really good with german cars and he fixed it the first time around. I have taken my car back to him to check on the slotting issue, ill be sure to inform him of a synchro problem and lets see if it does not work out, i might have to visit the VW ASC

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks