Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti is considering an online spare parts platform

Maruti is considering an online spare parts platform-images-55.jpeg

Got this survey link from a friend who is closely associated with Maruti.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/X5WBBY7

Maruti is considering this seriously. Knowing Maruti's might and their way of working, if they jump into this scene, it will be a win win for everyone. India's spare business is largely untapped.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 22nd July 2020 at 20:02.
Leoshashi is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:41   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti is considering an online spare parts platform

Great. I hope this clicks and other manufacturers follow. Being able to buy oem spares online will be a blessing for us enthusiasts. This will help to do servicing and maintenance more easily at FNGs at more affordable prices.
Flyer is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 21:00   #3
BHPian

After boodmo started scamming with short quantity and exorbitant shipping charges, it is best if maruti starts online spares portal.

On the other hand, they should have all parts available (don't mind waiting for a bit).
Manoj2268 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 22:17   #4
BHPian

That's some good news! In fact, if they can build a hybrid online-offline model integrating online orders with local Maruti Genuine Parts stores and dealers (I think JioMart does this), this will have a very fast delivery model. I have been dependent on the Maruti Genuine Parts store for all my parts, but some of the parts being imported in my car, do take some time to arrive with no traceability. This should eliminate that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
After boodmo started scamming with short quantity and exorbitant shipping charges..
Their service level has drastically gone down in past few months. From adding high delivery charges (that too, to individual items but not the combined order) to repeated rescheduling of orders, its been a bad experience for me except the first couple of times. I just see the part number there after discussing with my mechanic and go to the store to order one. A colleague who had ordered a 2013 Verna diesel air-intake since 1st week of February from my account, was yet to receive it last week when he asked me to cancel.
Researcher is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 23:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually a win-win for everyone. I was talking to a MASS owner a few days back and he stated that there’s not much margin on the OE spare parts. The spare parts department in his MASS is the only one where expense is higher than the income generated from it. But due to the requirements, he cannot close it. They make most of the money in form of labor charges.

I don’t think MASS would have any issues with this online initiative by Maruti. Car owners will also be happy to get OE spare parts from a genuine channel.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 23:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

It's high time that all manufacturers do this. The Mahindra one is rubbish, there is no guarantee that stuff would fit, it does not take your VIN / exact model number.

Boodmo's OE catalogue is very detailed for the most part, look through the diagram and you can find small trim pieces , washers , etc I wonder what is stopping the manufacturer from doing this, perhaps scared of dealers.

I have had 1 miss with Boodmo so far with a wrong part being delivered but it's okay otherwise, but I'm only ordering cheap trim pieces for DIY, nothing serious. The quality of parts is not OE that I can tell.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 13:49   #7
BHPian

Re: Maruti is considering an online spare parts platform

I think this should be a practise to be followed by every vehicle manufacturer. I still remember the days I have wandered through cities in search of spare parts for my vehicles(mainly motorcycles) for simple DIY jobs. One main issue I have faced is not knowing the exact part name or number, and one thing I have noticed is that most of these spare parts dealers don't entertain individuals very much as they do with mechanics and workshops. So, with the availability of OEM spare parts through an online platform, I hope people with limited technical knowledge (like myself), can easily find and procure spare parts for simple DIY works.
stormdRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 14:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant move!

There are 2 distinct advantages-
1) Original spares will be guaranteed outside the service centres and you can take your car to a trusted FNG.
2) Service centres will be forced to do a good job in order to retain their customers. Customer satisfaction will most likely be guaranteed.

I feel more manufacturers should implement this model.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 14:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Attachment 2033320

Got this survey link from a friend who is closely associated with Maruti.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/X5WBBY7
Have done my part boss; filling out & stating we need to order parts online
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 17:31   #10
BHPian

Excellent initiative by Maruti Suzuki especially since they are the largest, most selling, and most popular automaker in the country. I wonder why they weren't the first mover in this space. Better late than never, I suppose!

I have filled up the survey and bookmarked the Mahindra and Hyundai sites too.

I have used Boodmo several times for my Vista, WagonR, and Liva. I expect a Maruti online store, with an MGP/SGP backbone, will surely help with DIY maintenance and upgrades. Hope they source and supply ample spares for discontinued models too.
Old 23rd July 2020, 18:08   #11
Team-BHP Support

Excellent initiative; this helps those who want to self-service their cars or do so at a FNG. The availability of OEM spares is a big part of why people persist with A.S.S. While I doubt it'd been difficult to source a MGP part until now anyway, this just makes the process more stream-lined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Actually a win-win for everyone. I was talking to a MASS owner a few days back and he stated that there’s not much margin on the OE spare parts.
I'd imagine they'd be unhappy with this since more people would just order the spare parts online and get the work done at a FNG. Since labor costs on service are where A.S.S. make money, they stand to lose out on customers who'd switch to a FNG just for the lower labor costs.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 18:43   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

A good move by the car maker always with a 50 % plus share in our market. However, the initial 12 question survey asked for should be optional for buyers.

Next they should value ownership of older Marutis and provide MGP spares for older SS80, SS80DX, SB 308 and the older Maruti vans. Thousands of these are still running on the roads. Their spares are getting scarce, especially for the old SS80/SS80 DX and the older SB308's. Cosmetic and also mechanical/electrical spares that used to come as OE are very hard to source these days in the market. This will earn for them handsomely, as well as establish a connect with the old car owners.

Secondly, Maruti is very liberal with it's workshop manuals for their car models. Hopefully these will be available online.

The online sales if cared for properly will be a rage for Maruti owners.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd July 2020 at 18:45.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 20:17   #13
BHPian

This is why Maruti is market leader, and here I am struggling to buy spares from the service center.

Well done Maruti
Old 24th July 2020, 11:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is a good move to keep prices transparent. Hope Maruti sets this up quickly and other manufacturers should follow as soon as possible. Although I must save I have never had an issue with the availability of spare parts for my Ritz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Next they should value ownership of older Marutis and provide MGP spares for older SS80, SS80DX, SB 308 and the older Maruti vans. Thousands of these are still running on the roads. Their spares are getting scarce, especially for the old SS80/SS80 DX and the older SB308's.
Yes, that would help a lot of classic Maruti owners. Nissan did something similar globally. As part of their Heritage Parts program, they started building parts for classic cars like the R33 GTR.
ChiragM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 12:37   #15
BHPian

This is the best news I have heard in a very long time. I currently use boodmo for all my parts purchase, which i find very convenient. On my last service, my MASS quoted me double the price in boodmo for an unpainted OVRM. Boodmo OEM parts catalog helps me to understand my car better. However, boodmo does not have parts manual for my make/model, which is an '06 esteem. If Maruti can directly sell parts, and share workshop manuals, that will be a huge boon. This will help long term ownership of a Maruti less worrisome.

Owning both a Maruti and a Renault, I wish other manufacturers, especially with lesser(pathetic) reach too start thinking of this. I hope Maruti forces the market to follow.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th July 2020 at 13:12. Reason: continent = convenient

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks