Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2007, 17:25   #1
BHPian

Car shudders in lower gear

Hi Guys,

Have been facing this problem for a while with my swift LXI. Current reading is 19.6K kms. Lately, my car shudders in the lower gear (usually first, rarely 2nd) when I am putting it in motion from stationary. This happens irrespective of whether I am starting the car in the morning, or at a traffic light.

This usually happens as I am releasing the clutch plate (with the gear on 1st). I have realised that if I keep the cluth depressed for a few secs longer and release it real slow (as compared to what i normally do), this does not happen. I use to drive light foot initially (damn driving schools), but not in the last 8- 9K kms.

A friend who keeps good knowledge abt automobiles says that its simply becoz of the no of kms my car has run (clutch play?) and if i tell the service center abt this, the will make the necessary changes in the setting.

I wanted your opinion on whether it is something serious which requires immediate attention, or if it can wait for the next service (another 25- 30 days to go) or it is something that I have to simply adjust my driving style to.

Cheers
Ajay
Old 13th March 2007, 18:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Have been facing this problem for a while with my swift LXI. Current reading is 19.6K kms. Lately, my car shudders in the lower gear (usually first, rarely 2nd) when I am putting it in motion from stationary.
I suspect clutch slippage. But at 19000 kms? have you been doing burnouts and wheel-spins excessively?

Have the clutch assmembly and related parts investigated ASAP and demand replacement if faulty. I assume your car is still under warranty.
Old 13th March 2007, 19:00   #3
BHPian

Thanks Aditya,

No burnouts and wheel spins here. Will get it investigated. Yup it is still under warranty (thank god i havent upgraded my headlights yet )

Cheers
Ajay
Old 13th March 2007, 19:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Do get it checked as soon as possible, because Ajmat's swift also had a clutch failure and his car was below 10000kms if i remember correctly.

Drifter
Old 13th March 2007, 21:20   #5
BHPian

I have the same problem with my OHC VTEC and i suspect my clutch. But i don't think I have ever noticed it slip.

Infact the more I let it slip intentionally the better shift I get (while shifting).

Last edited by Pankaj401 : 13th March 2007 at 21:23.
Old 13th March 2007, 21:51   #6
BANNED

Hi Guys,

Swift has a known clutch issue. I have had 4 cars come to us after the service centre refused warranty where we had to replace clutch due to varying reasons. All cars had clocked under 12k kms and none of them got warranty.

@Ajay - Changing the headlightbulb cannot void warranty for your clutch. At the most it can void electrical warranty.

Viper
Old 14th March 2007, 00:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi Guys,

All cars had clocked under 12k kms and none of them got warranty.

Viper
Could be becoz rubber parts are not covered under warranty? assuming that i gotta change mine as well, how much wud it cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
@Ajay - Changing the headlightbulb cannot void warranty for your clutch. At the most it can void electrical warranty.

Viper
Yup. That was sarcastically directed at the dealers/ manufacturers who will go to any lengths to deny us the benefits of warranty

Cheers
Ajay
Old 14th March 2007, 01:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Could be becoz rubber parts are not covered under warranty?
Arrr... Uh... your clutch plates are made out of rubber?!!

Btw... I have at times felt this at lower gears in my car as well. But it has more to do with the way I release the clutch. If I hurry too much in releasing the clutch and accelerating away and the release of the clutch and the pressing of the accelerator goes a bit out of synch this shuddering happens. Releasing the accelerator immediately and then again pressing it more gently solves the issue. Check out that possibility as well.
Old 14th March 2007, 04:41   #9
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My swift had this issue at 4000kms dude its a regular thing with the swifts get your clutch checked.And yeah you dont get warranty on it coz its a wear and tear part which technically is correct but is a load of humbug coz its not just 1 car its the whole line.

Last edited by nitroxx : 14th March 2007 at 04:43.
Old 14th March 2007, 06:30   #10
BHPian

My friend, having a SWIFT ZXi also complained of a similar issue at 6k kms and got his Clutch parts serviced / replaced.

But I have not faced this issue, and I have done 20k+ as of now in my SWIFT VXi.
Old 14th March 2007, 10:34   #11
Awaiting Email Confirmation

goldsun consider yourself really lucky coz most of the guys I know face the same issue.
Old 14th March 2007, 10:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Arrr... Uh... your clutch plates are made out of rubber?!!

Btw... I have at times felt this at lower gears in my car as well. But it has more to do with the way I release the clutch. If I hurry too much in releasing the clutch and accelerating away and the release of the clutch and the pressing of the accelerator goes a bit out of synch this shuddering happens. Releasing the accelerator immediately and then again pressing it more gently solves the issue. Check out that possibility as well.

I thought there was some rubber pad... but them am a big Zero when it comes to automobiles

Yup, even I am hoping that its a simple clutch- accelerator coordination issue. Maybe I will ask a friend to take a spin on a few occassions.

Cheers
Ajay
Old 14th March 2007, 10:52   #13
BHPian

reading this thread I fear I have also joined the bandwagon. For last few days at low speeds there has been voilent shuddering on quick clutch actions. It happened too today morning, and the engine stopped. !! That this problem happened within a week of 2nd service is a matter of concern
Old 14th March 2007, 13:36   #14
BHPian

hey guys my Swift has run 29k and I am facing this problem of shudder since the last free service which was at 20k on the odo. I asked the engineer to check the issue but he said the clutch plate has worn out due to my oversize tires (I was flabbergasted) he suggested that I might require a clutch overhaul and imagine this at 25k on the odo. So I am due for overhaul in the next service. The costs indicated was 6k, as we need to replace the entire clutch assembly??? and not just the plates as in Swift this is what's to be done. Now that you guys have highlighted this issue on cars which have run much lesser than my car, I will have to do some shouting to see if Maruti will do something about this!!!!!.

Any suggestions senior BHPians??
Old 14th March 2007, 14:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
since the last free service which was at 20k on the odo.
The schedule that i followed was 1K, 5K and 10K. After the 3rd free service (@ 10K), I was told my next would be at 20K or 12 months from 10K. I doubt there is a free service at 20K.

I use stock tyres. In all probability they will blame it on my driving style.

Cheers
Ajay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks