Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2020, 16:42   #31
BHPian

Re: Benefits of flat-bottom steering wheels

I was looking for this topic for sometime.

Any idea how much it costs to upgrade the steering? I suspect that removing the steering mounted audio control and airbags wont be easy on pocket or otherwise.

Having said that, I would just love to have a flat bottom steering as its easy to handle compared to the traditional one.
Old 11th February 2020, 18:52   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgritesh View Post
Any idea how much it costs to upgrade the steering? I suspect that removing the steering mounted audio control and airbags wont be easy on pocket or otherwise.
Upgrade =what? Change to an aftermarket steering wheel? Steering mounted controls isn't a big deal, they can easily be integrated. Couplers & converters are available for those. But never install an aftermarket steering wheel if it means losing out on the airbag.

As for a "change" like in case of VAG modular cars - it can be done without causing any loss of steering mounted controls or airbags. Its a costly affair as you'll have to find the right compatible unit & in many cases would have to import one! The best thing to do is if one has a VAG DSG equipped car. If I had one - I'd pick the GTI steering wheel with paddle shifters and plonk it into my car. Costly - but totally doable.
Quote:
Having said that, I would just love to have a flat bottom steering as its easy to handle compared to the traditional one.
Can you please elaborate how it is easy? A genuine question as I have since long been trying to understand the benefits of it.

P.S. - Welcome to TBHP btw! See you around.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 22:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
I was looking for this topic for sometime.

Hello,

You did not mention the make and model of your car. For example if its a hatchback, then replacing the entire steering wheel with airbags and mounted audio controls will be somewhere between 8000 to 10000.
Old 11th February 2020, 22:35   #34
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Can you please elaborate how it is easy? A genuine question as I have since long been trying to understand the benefits of it.
Easy might not be the right word, but it does play a role in providing easier and better grip when you hold the flat part, while turning or just holding from bottom.

The level of comfort might be subjective and may vary with each individual, at least to me the flat feels better.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 23:21   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Easy might not be the right word, but it does play a role in providing easier and better grip when you hold the flat part, while turning or just holding from bottom.
Agreed .
If the door arm rest is well placed cushioned, even I drive with right hand at the base of the wheel on access controlled motorways at peace. And yes, I believe a correctly sized flat bottom of the wheel will be more ergonomically suitable then.
Old 12th February 2020, 10:46   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

I own a Brezza with round steering and back home we have new Dzire with a flat one. It felt easy to handle the petrol Dzire compared to my diesel Brezza.

But now when I rethink about it, I think I was trying to compare apple and oranges.

I assume it would void the warranty to replace stock steering with anything else, so will have to wait on this. In fact, considering the hassle involved I might even drop the idea.

Again, it may be a mistake on my part to compare the handling of two different cars only
efgritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 21:35   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

There are times when I'm glad that my Polo isn't younger. It would have the flat-bottom steering wheel if it was. So just posting to add my vote: against.

The only advantage I can think of would be when driving long, straight roads with one hand on the bottom of the wheel. And yes, I am aware that steering like this would fail a British, and probably other countries, driving test.
Old 23rd April 2020, 22:19   #38
BHPian

I love the flat bottom one. It looks smashing ! But would prefer the rounded one, specially while making those awful "U" turns, though space would be much better, specially for taller people.
Not sure how a flat bottom one would fair on "U" turns.

Last edited by hareshjethwani : 23rd April 2020 at 22:21.
Old 24th April 2020, 00:51   #39
BHPian

My car has a flat-bottom steering wheel and I absolutely love it! Besides the sporty looks which make the interior of my Octavia RS 245 more appealing, the feel of using it is very comfortable, especially on highway runs which is 70% of my driving. Contrary to what a lot of members have posted here, I find it very easy while doing U turns and just generally steering. In fact, I think that it will be hard for me to go back to a car with a round steering wheel, haha

In low-slung supercars, a flat-bottom steering is almost a must, to avoid hitting/bruising the top of your thighs. The angle which you need to get into the drivers seat necessitates this, and even with a flat-bottom steering wheel there is hardly any clearance for your legs while getting in. I'm speaking from the personal experience of getting into the driver's seat of Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Nissan GTRs etc. And no, I'm not overweight at all.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 01:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

All my life i've had circular steering wheels. I too love the flat bottom ones though i've limited experience with them since the time I bought a Seltos and driven only 15k kms with it.

It took a while to get the hang of it. Even in this short period I find it easy to grip and turn - especially from lock to lock and in dead slow parking speeds. You'll feel the compactness because of the flat bottom. It does feel sporty and adds to the haptics. I've not quite observed if it's really helping the ingress and egress. Theoretically it should.

I guess it's a matter of readapting to it after all.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 25th April 2020 at 01:36.

Most Viewed