Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2020, 18:12   #1
BHPian

Engine oil leak in 1 year old Duster - Renault offers to replace engine

Hi All,

I am posting this on behalf of my friend who is not a member.

My friend has Renault Duster Petrol Automatic which he bought last year in February 2019 and has completed around 7000km till now. He sent his car for annual service and was told that there is leakage in Engine Oil & Coolant.

Service center identified & tried to fix the issues, but still there is leakage of engine oil. They have agreed that there is some problem and have offered to replace the engine as the car is still under warranty.

My friend is skeptical with engine change as he is not sure if there would be any adverse effect due to change and would the car function properly.

What do you guys suggest in such scenario? Should he just go-ahead for the engine change or should he demand for a new car as there can be other such issues in this car.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 6th February 2020, 18:18   #2
BHPian

re: Engine oil leak in 1 year old Duster - Renault offers to replace engine

This is a serious issue and seems to be a manufacturing defect since the car is fairly new for this kind of failure.

Let them replace the engine as this option seems to be most viable at the moment. You never know, what other gremlins might crop up in that engine.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 18:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Where exactly is the leak? You mentioned coolant + engine oil; is coolant mixing with oil? Gasket issues?

If Renault is offering engine change, I think your friend should grab this gesture since this doesn't come easy with most manufacturers. I would be happy living with a complete engine change vs. opening the entire block at service center and tinkering here & there. Changing the engine is not as complex as it sounds and one can be at peace after this change.

Regards
Saket
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 18:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack_himanshu View Post
They have agreed that there is some problem and have offered to replace the engine as the car is still under warranty.

My friend is skeptical with engine change as he is not sure if there would be any adverse effect due to change and would the car function properly.

What do you guys suggest in such scenario? Should he just go-ahead for the engine change or should he demand for a new car as there can be other such issues in this car.
Wow that is really good of renault, just replace the engine and be with it. Replacement of car would be more difficult and he will eventually have to pay from his pocket for taxes etc. I say it is a great deal and should take it.

As long as this is done at a dealership i don't see any adverse issues, just that he would have to get the new engine number updated in the RC and insurance records.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 18:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...offered to replace the engine...
Changing with a full engine straight from the factory, or just changing with a pre-assembled block with pistons + head?
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 08:01   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Engine oil leak in 1 year old Duster - Renault offers to replace engine

Go ahead with the engine change without worry. My guess is that the existing engine has already been damaged due to the oil leak, and hence the offer for replacement. Good gesture from Renault & its dealer.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 08:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Just make sure it’s the full engine they change. A brand new sealed engine. And not just a half engine and the assembly happens in the workshop.

If it’s the full sealed engine, then there shouldn’t be a problem with replacement.
Old 7th February 2020, 11:57   #8
BHPian

Engine change means engine number also changes. Do we have to make changes in RC too?
Old 7th February 2020, 12:26   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK79 View Post
Engine change means engine number also changes. Do we have to make changes in RC too?
Yes; and hence, on the Insurance policy as well.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 12:45   #10
BHPian

Thank you all for your advice. I have shared it with my friend. Let's see if it's complete engine change or only heads.
Old 7th February 2020, 15:02   #11
BHPian

Engine is the best possible outcome in this situation, please ask your friend to try & negotiate to get additional warranty from Renault.
Old 13th February 2020, 14:18   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Please ask your friend to try & negotiate to get additional warranty from Renault.
I don't see how that is possible & why Renault would want to take such a step which has only risk for them?
Old 19th February 2020, 15:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for your advice. I have shared it with my friend. Let's see if it's complete engine change or only heads.
So, finally complete engine replacement in underway.

Thanks again for all your suggestions
smack_himanshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 15:20   #14
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

In your friend's case coolant and oil leak without a trace means that it was leaking into the cylinders and going out through the exhaust.

Go ahead with a complete engine replacement without expecting a new car.
A person I know has also had the 110PS diesel in his Duster changed. In his case the timing belts snapped within a year of use and with less than 20,000 km on the ODO. He got a fully sealed engine which was a plug and play type replacement. He has been happy with it and is close to 60,000 km on the ODO now.
At the most you can state to them the bad effects of the oil and coolant going through the engine and poisoning the catalytic converter in the exhaust and also the O2 sensor since the petrol engines usually have one. They might agree to change these too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks