Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2019, 20:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Everything about fake exhaust pipes - The new trend in premium cars

Tata Safari Storme has functional tail pipes within those chrome tips but the tail pipes are pretty small making it look like fake ones. Attaching a pic from google showing the tail pipes. Believe the same with Hexa too as I remember seeing those tail pipes but I could be wrong.

But ya, it’s a cheap trick and for those luxury cars, there’s absolutely no need for the makers to mimick and sell it to the customers. In fact, big 3’s can just work towards sales and after sales experience instead of making all this tricks as customers are surely going to buy their cars as they make brilliant ones. These are desperate attempts at making them look all jazzy.
Attached Thumbnails
Everything about fake exhaust pipes - The new trend in premium cars-b34b6caad2844e37957183828268d1c1.jpeg  

gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 12:28   #17
BHPian

Why are luxurious car makers following this trend of fake exhaust tips? I don't think it is saving any cost or adding any aesthetic value to the car. Instead it might add cost as the original exhaust is present and this is being added as an extra part on the bumpers.
Old 25th October 2019, 17:46   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post

I really hated it, it looked cheap, despicable and dishonest.

What is your opinion on Fake exhaust design and its purpose?
I guess the sole purpose of this is to maintain symmetry in the design, that's it, nothing else. I don't think they are trying to cheat here anyway. Certainly it looks good to look at than single pipe only at one side.
Old 25th October 2019, 18:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
The Kizashi actually had functional exhausts, pic from our own forum...

Thank you. Don't know how I missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Minor correction for the Safari, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But the Storme does have two exhausts,

Thank you, Guys. I meant exhaust tip is fake in the sense, it's there for aesthetical reason not functional. There are so many variants of Safari, every day I learn a new thing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
As far as I know, the exhaust pipes of a diesel need to point downward for the regen process to take place. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
EU Regulations state that the tail pipe should be facing downwards towards the tarmac.

Thank you. Could you please provide any source for this regulation. How would a downward pipe change emission?

Also, when I google about the subject, its result is this thread.

Everything about fake exhaust pipes - The new trend in premium cars-11capture.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Could it be that they are facing downwards so people dont see the smoke?..
I don't think it would be effective. Most of the engine smoke these days is colorless except when they are throwing out black/White smoke, which would be visible no matter where the exhaust points.
Who_are_you is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 08:14   #20
BHPian

Here's the latest gen Audi S6 (diesel) having the fake exhaust!!
Old 27th October 2019, 10:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
EU Regulations state that the tail pipe should be facing downwards towards the tarmac. A real exhaust tip facing downward would look just as weird. (Photoshop opportunity for our members to visualise what that would look like!). You will see that all European cars shared here will always have the pipes facing downwards.

The S6 sold state side has real exhausts (has a petrol engine).

Thanks
Not true. My landrover discovery sport MY19, has two exhaust pipes sticking out of the back.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 13:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EU Regulations state that the tail pipe should be facing downwards towards the tarmac. A real exhaust tip facing downward would look just as weird. (Photoshop opportunity for our members to visualise what that would look like!). You will see that all European cars shared here will always have the pipes facing downwards.
The major reason behind the downward facing tailpipes in diesel cars is that the soot particles leaving the exhaust do not fly straight towards the cars/people behind. Another reason is that the black smoke belched out by the diesel cars can blacken the lower portion of the rear bumper. Also most of the diesel cars fitted with a DPF do not have the downward bend.
ram87pune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 17:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
Thank you. Could you please provide any source for this regulation. How would a downward pipe change emission?

Also, when I google about the subject, its result is this thread.

Attachment 1926977

I don't think it would be effective. Most of the engine smoke these days is colorless except when they are throwing out black/White smoke, which would be visible no matter where the exhaust points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Not true. My landrover discovery sport MY19, has two exhaust pipes sticking out of the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
The major reason behind the downward facing tailpipes in diesel cars is that the soot particles leaving the exhaust do not fly straight towards the cars/people behind. Another reason is that the black smoke belched out by the diesel cars can blacken the lower portion of the rear bumper. Also most of the diesel cars fitted with a DPF do not have the downward bend.
Thank your for all your replies. I vaguely remember seeing this information in an Auditography post. However, I'm unable to find it now.

My mistake has been noted and I've asked the mods to change my original post as well.

Thank you!
Old 3rd October 2020, 22:30   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding MG Gloster to the list:

Everything about fake exhaust pipes - The new trend in premium cars-img20201003wa0031.jpg

Everything about fake exhaust pipes - The new trend in premium cars-img20201003wa0032.jpg

Everything about fake exhaust pipes - The new trend in premium cars-img20201003wa0030.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks