Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2019, 12:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parked VW Ameo catches fire. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Another theory is whether a rat nibbled a fuel line which runs on the drivers side.
I would exclude this as something similar had happened in my Abarth. The rats chewed the wires and in less than 10 km, the whole tank was empty. I opened the window and smelt petrol fumes. Parked the car and called RSA. Was towed to the garage and the pipe was replaced. There was no fire / petrol catching fire despite it spilling on the hot engine and surroundings.

Only way it could happened was if there was a spark from a wire (one more rat bite?) combining with the spilled / leaking fuel.

Last edited by ajmat : 5th June 2019 at 15:35.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 12:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Fire from a mechanical fault only happens through fracture or friction. This car had been stationary.
Exactly my point! He should instead first try to find out the root cause of the fire. Here, it seems he is already hell bent on pinning it on the car / VW. There is no use if he cannot prove it.
Old 7th June 2019, 12:40   #18
BHPian

I could be foolish to ask this. But are you sure, the car was not on for whatever period of time it was parked? Being a petrol car with the parking being road side it is easy to miss the car being in idle.
Old 7th June 2019, 20:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
I could be foolish to ask this. But are you sure, the car was not on for whatever period of time it was parked? Being a petrol car with the parking being road side it is easy to miss the car being in idle.
OP says the car was parked for over a week. Even with a full tank, I don't think it will have enough fuel to idle for that long.
Old 12th June 2019, 14:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

This is horrendous! Well, take the legal route if they’re not going to help and keep their heads high and not extending support to obtain approval from insurance. But, legal route will take its time but will pay you at the end. As you’re aware legal route also will require a lot of patience as it will run its course before the judgment is made. If things go well in favor of you, by then VW will wake up and might get in touch with you to arrive at a feasible solution to settle the matter. Not pushing you to proceed with it but the fact of their ignorance is pissing me off.

VW makes great cars but their service has always remained a gamble which everyone knows by now. This is why Maruti, Hyundai are great at customer service (not 100%) but atleast to an extent that proves Indian customers are happy with the big two here.

Good luck and hope your hard earned money is recognized here and your car is restored to its glory.
Old 12th June 2019, 16:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
VW makes great cars but their service has always remained a gamble which everyone knows by now. This is why Maruti, Hyundai are great at customer service (not 100%) but atleast to an extent that proves Indian customers are happy with the big two here. .
I neither own a VAG car or one from Maruti or Hyundai. But I can say that if this car was a Maruti/Hyundai, they would not have behaved any differently from what VW is doing in this case. They are all the same.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 19:46   #22
BHPian

First up this is terrible. Next, a car doesn't just spontaneously burst into flames even if a random match stick or cigarette falls on it. It is not a powder keg made of gunpowder. Has a CNG or LPG tank been installed in the car? Was there any other electronic item kept in the car? Anything with a lithium ion battery? They are notorious for bursting into flames.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks