Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2022, 23:55   #1501
BHPian

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
I have finally found that carpm garage pro works with Toyota Corolla 2003.
Hi pta320, hope your Civic is doing good. Kindly let me know the OBD scanner/scan tool/app you're using for it.

Am newbie on this and willing to learn. Please educate.
Old 11th February 2022, 00:07   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
Hi pta320, hope your Civic is doing good. Kindly let me know the OBD scanner/scan tool/app you're using for it.

Am newbie on this and willing to learn. Please educate.
Bluedriver and carpm garage pro work fine on Civic. Bluedriver is not available in India and i won't suggest getting it from US, there are better scanners available here which do the job for a lot less.

I haven't tested any cheap generic elm327 with Civic but I don't think there will be any issue with it as it has much more modern ECU and has a much wider support.

I would suggest you to buy a cheap ELM327 from Amazon and try to use it with torque app. Most certainly it will work otherwise you can return it pretty easily on Amazon and you can always get something like carpm garage pro. The problem with generic elm327 adaptors is that they only support newer cars usually 2006+. An old Corolla has the annoying Toyota OBD (JDM one) and requires a genuine adapter which can work well with custom strings.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 00:14   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
I would suggest you to buy a cheap ELM327 from Amazon and try to use it with torque app. Most certainly it will work otherwise you can return it pretty easily on Amazon and you can always get something like carpm garage pro.
Thanks! Will have a word with you before I purchase. Will the data from OBD help in diagnosing errors such as a blown ignition coil or a failed injector?

And, will the below link be of any use to you and the members here?
https://www.hondash.net/

Last edited by eccentric : 11th February 2022 at 00:15. Reason: Grammar?
Old 11th February 2022, 00:30   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
Thanks! Will have a word with you before I purchase. Will the data from OBD help in diagnosing errors such as a blown ignition coil or a failed injector?

And, will the below link be of any use to you and the members here?
https://www.hondash.net/
If any of your cylinders are misfiring then most likely there will be an error code stored in the ECU namely P030x , x being the cylinder number. Misfiring sometimes trigger the check engine light if it has been happening for a while.

OBD scanner will easily detect the fault code if it is in the ECU so you can figure out which cylinder is misfiring.

Then you can proceed with misfire checklist to detect whether it's the spark plug, ignition coil or injectors.

Torque pro app also makes it possible to directly read live injector data and ignition coil data. You need to setup PIDs for that. Some plugins have added PIDs , you need to find one for Honda. In this way you can also diagnose a misfire which doesn't throw any code.

This video is also useful :

Vehicle test results in torque pro only works with ECUs that support mode 6, Civic should do that but I haven't tested it , will inform you once i manage to run another scan on Civic.

I haven't used Hondash, can't really comment if it's worth it or not. So far torque pro appears to be the best thing out there, and with Honda plugins it will mostly be able to do everything that Hondash does.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 10:54   #1505
BHPian

I just found out I have a decade old obd2 wired scanner. Bought from scantool.net, model is OBDLink SX.

What will be the software to go with it? Will it work with Octavia Mk1?
Let me know if anybody uses such a model.
Old 25th April 2022, 11:54   #1506

Hello,

I am looking for a way to check DPF soot accumulated because I have been having some issues with it’s accumulation inspite of drving solely on highways.

Do the cheap ELM732 based OBD2 scanners on Amazon show carbon soot on DPF or any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance !
Old 3rd June 2022, 12:45   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
I saw this review for ELM 327 OBDII device on amazon.

Link for device
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01DVU666M

It mentions removing fuse of OBDII port will help in prevention of car theft. Is this true?
Found out that its true after all. Now I'm in a dilemma whether to use the adaptor to monitor my driving or try and remove the fuse as an anti-theft measure. I think I will go with latter as continuous monitoring wouldn't be possible.
Old 24th July 2022, 13:54   #1508
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Mine is a 2010 petrol Altis, the one with the old 1ZZ FE engine. Now as I understand, this is the old engine but with some tweaks and modifications to the ECU. I had purchased the super mini ELM327 v1.5 but could not find success. I read on another thread that for the Corolla 1.8 petrol, the adaptor should be "ELM327 v1.4" instead of "ELM327 v1.5".

Whether using the v1.4 hardware would work or should I give up attempting to connect with ELM altogether?

Outside of Team BHP, few sites say that my Toyota cannot be read with OBD II compliant scanners while some say that 1996 onward, Toyota are OBD II compliant.
My Fortuner 2010 model does connect with obd2 bluetooth adapter and it uses a protocol named JOBD JDM CAN .(ISO 15765). Car Scanner and HobDrive softwares do work with it. You can try these two softwares.

But no luck with my 2008 Swift Diesel which connects only with SZ Viewer app which has a very basic interface. If you want raw data you can try it.

Last edited by dilipkumar7278 : 24th July 2022 at 14:00. Reason: Add new information
dilipkumar7278 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 16:25   #1509
BHPian

Does anyone know which OBD2 scanner works with Volvo cars in India?
I have been looking at various options available on Amazon in India but pretty much all of them have poor reviews and complaints that there is no customer service available.

Thanks.
Old 13th January 2023, 11:57   #1510

I own a XL6 MT Alpha (2019 model) and am looking for On -Board diagnosis tool Bluetooth version.

Can the experts advise here for the same and link to buy.

Thanks.
Old 27th January 2023, 13:31   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I have recently acquired a professional OBD Scan Too. The model is Autel Maxicom 808Z. It has support for almost every car globally and also for Indian manufacturers like Maruti, Toyota, Honda, VW etc etc. Here is the link of the tool I purchased. https://autel.com/mk2/3990.jhtml

I will be happy to assist and help folks on TBHP in case they need to diagnose or do routine stuff like Sterring Angle Reset, DPF Regeneration etc for their cars. This is NOT a paid or in any way a commercial offer. It is purely for enthusiasts and like minded members of the community.

I also have the VW VCDS cable and software which works fine on my VW Polo GT TSI 2017 model. As you would be aware a lot of interesting tweaks can be done for VW cars using this.

Just reach out to me in case you need any help related to these.
Traveler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 00:18   #1512

I'm looking to make use of an OBD scanner (cheap Chinese one) in my next pre owned car purchase.
Can someone guide whether odometer tampering can be detected with OBD scan? And if so, then which Android/windows software to use?

Recently also came across this picture from ECO inspection (pre owned car inspection service by droom) where they get power and torque figures for the car.

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-img_20230211_001258.jpg

What software can we use to get the same/similar results?

I tried using virtual dyno but it's pretty difficult to use (needs frontal car area, drag coefficient, etc)

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 20th February 2023, 10:15   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford@XL6 View Post
I own a XL6 MT Alpha (2019 model) and am looking for On -Board diagnosis tool Bluetooth version.

Can the experts advise here for the same and link to buy.

Thanks.
I've been using gomechanic goconnect obd 2 on my WRV for a couple of months now. This is not the standard elm327 scanner nor does it have a Bluetooth. It connects via the android or iPhone gomechanic app using inbuilt gsm network (you don't need a separate sim). So you can connect it from anywhere on your phone, track live location, get geofence alerts, driving score for each drive, know the parked location and the duration, towing alerts etc along with the obd scanning with error codes. Unlike other similar obd2 devices, this one is cheaper (I got for around Rs.1800) and there is no yearly subscription charges. One time purchase for a lifetime use. You can check the below url if you would like to purchase. Please note it doesn't work with other third party apps like torque pro etc. This should be ideal for people who don't want to go too technical but still want to have a obd device that can make your car smarter.

https://gomechanic.in/goconnect-obd-device

I also own a obdlink mx+ imported from the US. Used it for 3+ years and now switched to gomechanic for the added benefits.

Last edited by bajoseph04 : 20th February 2023 at 10:18. Reason: Typo
bajoseph04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 08:06   #1514

Folks, I bought carpm garagepro OBD2 reader & app for my XUV5OO 2017 model. From day 1, I have observed this error U1001 & P170F on the report (attached part of the report). There are no warning lights in the car and I haven't observed any drop in performance.

During last service I asked Mahindra ASS to run a scan from their official scanner and there were no fault codes detected in their scanner. They have not given any printout of the report, but they did show me the scan result that there is no error code in the vehicle scan.

Car has run ~78k kms and I don't have the extended warranty anymore. Should I be concerned on reports from third party scanners or should I trust the Mahindra ASS. Also can this be an issue with the scanner compatibility or is there any other app which is you can recommend to scan?
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-carpm.jpg  

Old 8th April 2023, 15:13   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford@XL6 View Post
You can use Vgate iCar (2, 3 or Pro) scanner with SZ Viewer Android app (available on Playstore).
Sumedik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks