Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2019, 21:10   #31
BHPian

re: Engine head replacement on my Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynerd View Post
I am currently at 30000+. Absolutely no issues, noises of any kind. Just enjoy the car. Every car is different and there is no guarantee that your experience will be the same as others.
Thanks. My car is fantastic and have done multiple long trips including Bangalore - Bhutan - Bangalore. So far I am enjoying the car to the maximum without any worries (not even 19inch bad dreams ).

But this news, if confirmed, may steal some of my enjoyment. Don't want that to happen.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 21:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
Thanks. My car is fantastic and have done multiple long trips including Bangalore - Bhutan - Bangalore. So far I am enjoying the car to the maximum without any worries (not even 19inch bad dreams ).

But this news, if confirmed, may steal some of my enjoyment. Don't want that to happen.
As of now it looks like this is one car and one overzealous TASS. No indication of a recall of any sort.
mostlynerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 22:06   #33
BHPian

Dear PK,
This was in response to the question of why I had gone to TASS in the first place.

I would like to remind you that a recall is for something the manufacturer thinks could be wrong or will go wrong down the line, it need not be something that is in response to a conditon diagonised in a particular car.

In simple words, the minor problems with my car are independent of the cylinder head replacement issue.
When I happened to be there, I was informed that the TASS has received this information and my car matches the VIN number set that needs to get the head replaced. This is in NO WAY RELATED to the problems I face.

As already stated earlier by me, I absolutely love my car and I am proud of what Tata has achieved. I'd be the last person to bash Tata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
We understand your intention however certain sections of your earlier posts (quoted below) sounded quite affirmative. It applies to the title of this thread as well. The 'story' changed from "full blown head replacement" to "car has since returned from the service station without any work" and it makes the entire thread quite, odd.

Anyway, as others have also asked, this thread deserves to be closed and the title changed to something appropriate.
If you wish for the sequence of events, here it is, hope it gives clarity:
  1. I go to TASS for service and minor niggles.
  2. They check my car, and think of possible reasons for my complaints. They think it could be engine mount related and just enquire in the store if a spare mount is available, because they want to be sure that before they get below the car and open a few things, they have the part available in case it needs to be replaced so that unnecessary time is not wasted. The store manager, Additionally and independently, informs the SA that this cylinder head replacement is due for my car as part of recall. SA conveys that information to me. On further inquiry, he added that they received a circular last night and he will get clarity and get back to me.
  3. I also get informed that they have ordered the parts (those which are part of recall) for my car.
  4. I inform them that they can keep the car if the parts will arrive within a day or 2, else if it is going to take longer, I will take car back and bring it in later when the parts arrive. I ask them to call me by evening to inform me about the time frame. (They also tell me that mine is the first car they're ordering these parts for and thus they aren't sure about the time frame)
  5. I leave from TASS, leaving my car with them. Then I make my first post informing you guys about this and at the same time being sceptical about the information in the first place. (Refer to my first post)
  6. Later in the day, I get informed that that parts will take a week or so to arrive and that the recall related work will take approx 10 days to be completed. They also inform me that I should take the car away and use it for the time being and bring it back to TASS once parts arrive. Additionally, SA suggests that later when the car is here and the engine work is going on (as part of recall), they will have plenty of time to properly check for the source of the vibration sound that I was complaining about.
  7. When inquired about why 10 days, i was told that maybe the head will arrive fully assembled with valves et. al., then it will be plug and play, or it might arrive without any of that, then they will have to send it to the lathe for fitting the valves, guides, et al. On the same phone call, I agree with their logic about taking the car away and using it till the parts arrive. In my head I am thinking team bhp members will help me with more information before I have to send my car back.
  8. I make a new post on this thread, confirming that it is a cylinder head replacement (based on what the SA informed me as stated above)
  9. I send the driver and get the car back without any work being done.
  10. I am here, discussing about the issue, learning, reading about allegations of my loose ethics and clarifying my actions on this forum that I have come to love and respect.

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2019 at 07:56. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
jalsa777 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 22:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
[*]I am here, discussing about the issue, learning, reading about allegations of my loose ethics and clarifying my actions on this forum that I have come to love and respect.[/list]
Nobody (at least, I) is questioning your ethics. It seems the TASS you are dealing with tried to pull a fast one. My earlier post was about the tone of your initial posts which didn't sound like a query rather came across as information.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Your car is fine and rest of the anxious Hexa owners can also relax.
Old 9th January 2019, 22:57   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynerd View Post
Looks like your TASS is pulling a fast one on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
It seems the TASS you are dealing with tried to pull a fast one.
Highly unlikely, why would a dealer try to do something that may result in them getting heavily penalized; along with a huge reputation loss for the dealer as well as the brand?

Until a car has missed service intervals or is heavily misused with clear signs of the same, there is no scope of such a repair getting done out of warranty. And under warranty repairs are not something as simple as a do and get paid thing, like it's done with customers.

This kind of repair is not something that a dealer can carry out at its will, such warranty repairs (NOTE: If dealer is trying to pull a fast one, he will have to do it either under warranty or make customer pay) which include costly components or require huge cost of getting the job done are always and always carried out only and solely after seeking an approval from the regional level officials / teams. And that happens after properly informing customer via written communication and getting a thorough inspection done by the engineers sent by the company itself. Don't forget that Tata sends engineers to Hexa owners over way smaller issues, here we are talking of engine head.

So, if a dealer is trying to pull a fast one and do it under warranty, they need to have a corrupt set of Tata officials too. And trust me guys, no dealer would do that with the car of a well known BHPian like Jalsa. If we go by the SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) then pulling a fast one in this case is next to impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I can count on him to come back with full details.
+1, let the man appear with the finer details, standing together and speaking the same language; we can get anyone to sit up and listen to us. Contrasting each other until finer details are out there; we are only weakening our own case.

Quote:
my car matches the VIN number set that needs to get the head replaced. This is in NO WAY RELATED to the problems I face.
Please update once you get summoned by the dealer, we can't deny the scope of a silent recall (I have seen Ford dealers during initial days completely unaware of the Ecosport harness replacement recall, heck; Ford never announced 17 inch tyre recall but owners are getting them replaced for free) or Tata only informing the dealers or service stations serving a particular set of customers - a full fledged recall has huge positive and negative impacts altogether (Especially for brands like Tata, and engine head is something that can create a panic), hence maybe they have decided to go a silent way. Awaiting your next update bud, let's see what they have to say and how good a reasoning power they have got.

Last edited by VKumar : 9th January 2019 at 23:05.
VKumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 23:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Tata Hexa recall: Engine head replacement

Mod Note: Do NOT post biased / fanboy messages in favour of any manufacturer. We have ZERO tolerance of the same. Also, do NOT personally attack any BHPian.

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2019 at 07:45.
gowda79 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th January 2019, 23:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Why so impatient? A member and that too one who has worked with the forum, gives a first hand information on what he received from the dealership. Till it is proved otherwise, why can't we stand by the account? All those who are anxious or concerned only about their own car's resale should very well approach their respective dealership or Tata Motors themselves and clarify the matter at the earliest.

Last edited by thoma : 9th January 2019 at 23:36.
thoma is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 01:03   #38
BHPian

Mod Note: Do NOT post biased / fanboy messages in favour of any manufacturer. We have ZERO tolerance of the same. Also, do NOT personally attack any BHPian.

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2019 at 07:45.
pk_del is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th January 2019, 01:44   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure why so much panic / frustration when someone hints of a not-so-positive experience with TATA!!

Jalsa mentioned it's a re-call; in my limited knowledge, a recall is almost NEVER for the entire vehicle / model ever built. It's mostly a batch or some batches of the model built. And that's because, some component (from a vendor, belonging to a certain batch) is found not to sticking to the spec.

So, those who don't get a call for replacement, please be happy and enjoy your vehicle as you have been. Those who have to (if at all), please get it done, test it well over time and continue to enjoy the vehicle. A re-call doesn't also mean, something is already gone wrong - most of the times, it's a PRO-ACTIVE replacement to avoid a possible issue.

So, not all Hexas will have the problem; just some of those built during a certain phase. Why am I sure ? Because, it's the same engine doing duty from the Safari 2.2L Varicor time? And I havent read about engine issues in the Safari (or at least the head replacement). If TATA wasn't happy about the engine, they wouldn't have dragged it this far. (And as I understand, the XUV also runs on this engine and I doubt there will be a change in the head for XUV alone. PS: Well, the Scorpio too has the same engine).

For God sake - Jalsa owns a Hexa, just like some of you do. He has all rights to post a news which he is told, which is equally disappointing / worrying for him as for any of you guys! Why did he post it here? - what better place to get a confirmation than one of the biggest forums - he probably couldn't find the same number or even half of the responses here, if he probably were to check within his circle.

If any of you think one enjoys writing bad about their own vehicle - I have no words! Even more if any of you think someone spent 20L to buy a car so they can bad mouth it!!!

Am sure the title will be promptly updated if there is no re-call; have happened in the past too. TATA is not going to shut down tomorrow because of this thread - so please chill.

I understand the love for the Indian brand & manufacturer - it's great to see that, but please don't be blind because of that. Let's show some more restraint before going all out on a member questioning his credibility / character.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 10th January 2019 at 01:58.
swiftnfurious is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 07:43   #40
Team-BHP Support

I love what Tata is doing with its latest models, was very happy with that fact the Nexon gathered full five star safety rating in the recent NCAP tests, but it’s almost like a mob against the Jalsa for reporting something for the benefit of fellow-owners!
Voluntary recalls on identified issue shows manufacturer responsibility and not a sign of weakness. I wonder if the conspiracy-theory supporters will apologize for questioning the OP’s ethics if the said updates are carried out on his car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
@jalsa777,
From your experience, do you see any symptoms that you feel might demand major work on engine, regardless of what TASS is saying. Slightly worried because I too own a XTA and inching towards 40k.
A perfectly sane response from a Hexa owner; this would be my response as well if I own the car
vb-saan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 07:51   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Moderator Note: If anyone has an issue with this thread or suggestions for the same, use the REPORTING FUNCTIONALITY. But we will NOT permit any personal attacks on BHPians or any fanboy posts on Team-BHP.

This thread has been cleaned up & many posts are deleted / edited.

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2019 at 07:57.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 08:23   #42
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa recall: Engine head replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
All those who are anxious or concerned only about their own car's resale should very well approach their respective dealership or Tata Motors themselves and clarify the matter at the earliest.
Impatient because of the magnitude of impact, if this is a recall. Like many mentioned, it takes a lot of courage to invest 20L on a car, be it Tata or Honda, in Indian context.
When there is negative news, its natural to get worried.

Like suggested, many owners have already checked with their contacts about this 'recall' and the answer seems to be negative. And I don't think their, or at least mine, concern is resale. It is mostly about ability of TASS to perform such complex activity.

Even if this issue is limited to Jalsa999's car, it should be addressed properly by TaMo, and I completely understand his situation. At the same time it is not a 'recall', but a car specific issue. I think an update to the thread title would resolve most of the complexities !

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 10th January 2019 at 08:26.
Old 10th January 2019, 08:36   #43
BHPian

Thank God this is a false alarm, I was a bit upset when I saw the first post, for a friend had purchased based on my recommendation and of course detailed review of Teambhp. His other ride is a BMW ,which he doesn't use much these days, he prefers the plush ride of Hexa. Luckily I did not inform my friend, so he continues to enjoy his ride without any worries.

Tata, continue with the good work and I hope we see all negative image being erased in the next few years. I hope to own the Harrier as my next ride, provided they launch an AT, they lost me earlier when they did not launch the AT Nexon and I settled for Ecsoport.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 08:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

This recall comes as a bit of a surprise as this engine has been around for quite a while. The original design of this engine was done by AVL and has been shared with TATA and Mahindra. If TATA are doing a recall for the Hexa, this should ideally spill over for any vehicle that uses this engine, unless, TATA have made extensive modifications to the block or head.
Old 10th January 2019, 10:00   #45
BHPian

Quote:
1. SA mis-read or is/was mis-informed and thus I was misinformed.
2. SA straight lied to me.
3. I mis-understood what my SA told me (highly unlikely, but still a possibility).
4. I am lying to you (I promise, I am not lying)

IMO, it's either (1) or (3) and most likely (1). Often I have seen how messages change shape and color when transmitted through people. And how often have we seen the SAs not being thorough in things they do or say. If it turns out that there was no circular, the culprit must be fired.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks