Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2019, 12:46   #16
BHPian

re: Engine head replacement on my Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
I was at the Tata service center today for regular service and some minor problems with my car (Hexa XTA) and was informed that last night (7th Jan 2019) they received a circular to replace the 'head' of certain cars and mine was one of them.
After you are done with the recall (ofcourse, after verifying that it is a genuine recall), can you please post a screenshot from TMSC app to confirm this? Below is a screenshot of my Hexa's earlier recall.
If it is indeed a recall, it will be labelled as Campaign. You can post communication that is done with Tata Motors as well - if you have one and don't mind posting. This will help all the owners and this forum to know what is going on.

Engine head replacement on my Tata Hexa-whatsapp-image-20190109-12.36.56-pm.jpeg
vinodvayyat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 12:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Wow.. really feel for you buddy. As far as the customer is concerned, this is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

Latest products already show a huge improvement in product quality but if this news is true about engine head replacement, i guess TATA's quality improvements were just on the outside!

Anyways, all our cars are running flawlessly as per many ownership reports and there are no such issues that even remotely hint towards the engine. If in case this turns out to be true, i would think twice about going for the replacement, as would many others am sure!

If it's a rumour, then it's a disappointment that a member had to post such a thread because of a statement made by a careless employee at TASS. I understand how he would have felt and would sincerely request him to give that personnel a piece of all our minds!
abhi7013 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 13:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I was at the Tata service center today for regular service and some minor problems with my car (Hexa XTA) and was informed that last night (7th Jan 2019) they received a circular to replace the 'head' of certain cars and mine was one of them. I confirmed, if by 'head' he meant the whole head of the engine, and he agreed . He has now ordered a new head for me.
Can you share some more details about the problems that you had initially visited your TASS for?

The recall is not known to my service center as well. Looks like your TASS is pulling a fast one on you.

Last edited by ampere : 9th January 2019 at 20:48. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
mostlynerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 14:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE: It actually is a proper full blown head replacement.

My car was bought in August 2017, so must be manufactured in May - July 2017. This ain't good news. No one likes their engine opened. Head replacement at the service center means new gaskets, new sealants, et al. If the work is not done properly, it could mean leakages and I could be in for multiple visits to the service center.

Can someone with links in TML share more light on this. What is the issue, why does it need to be replaced?
Its almost 24 hours after this post was put in TBHP and there has been no response from the owner of this post seeking confirmation. This leads me to believe the genuineness of this post. Being a forum which is read by many auto enthusiasts, unless and until the report is confirmed this post should not have found found its way here. Lets be Fair.

MODS please note.

Regards
Sandy
SaNdY_AR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 15:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Just confirmed from the Eastern Zone After Sales Service Head of Operations - there is no recall for the engine head replacement for the Tata Hexa, nor any updates scheduled for the same.
RavenAvi is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 15:49   #21
BHPian

I find this piece of news about the recall hard to believe without solid proof. This is a proven engine that has been around for quite some time (since the Safari) and there have never been such problems in the past (never came across, but please correct me if I am wrong). Also, if there is indeed a faulty batch, then there should be same stories coming in from Safari owners as well. I believe it might be some TASS issue where they are trying to play some tricks.
AdiSolEn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 17:58   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNdY_AR View Post
This leads me to believe the genuineness of this post.
Please relax. Jalsa has worked full-time with Team-BHP & raced in the VW Polo Cup. Trust me when I say this, he knows a thing or two about cars.

Wait for him to revert and please don't take the thread off-topic. Whether there is a recall or not, I can count on him to come back with full details.
GTO is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 19:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone with links in TML share more light on this. What is the issue, why does it need to be replaced?
As I had said in my opening post,

I posted this so that I get confirmation of the validity of this information that I received.

I am not trying to spread a rumour or misinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Just confirmed from the Eastern Zone After Sales Service Head of Operations - there is no recall for the engine head replacement for the Tata Hexa, nor any updates scheduled for the same.
  • I will post details only once I receive more details from the TASS.
  • I shared over here the information I received verbally from the SA. My car has since returned from the service station without any work being done because they claimed to have ordered parts and the said part will arrive only a few days later. Once I am summoned again to the service centre, I will be grilling them for details.
  • Team-BHP is a discussion forum, only because of this thread and the existence of forums with knowledgable members like this, have I come to know that something is fishy and should enquire more before getting anything done to my car. So closing this thread, would not serve the purpose of a discussion forum.

@MODS: Maybe we can add a question mark to the title of the thread for the time being. That’ll take care of most problems the members have pointed out with this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynerd View Post
Can you share some more details about the problems that you had initially visited your TASS for?

The recall is not known to my service center as well. Looks like your TASS is pulling a fast one on you.
I had visited the TASS for the 30,000 km regular service, some metallic vibration sound emanating for the engine bay (this sound definitely does not seem to be cylinder head related, nor did the TASS SA suggest that this was an issue related to the cylinder head, it could be related with some mounting as per him and will be diagnosed further when the car goes back) and a manual mode gear shift problem where sometimes the car refuses to register a driver request for a downshift.

This TASS is trusted by me and my SA seems to be a genuine, honest and straight-forward guy, he's worked on my car before and has always given me excellent service. I wouldn't publicly bash them unless I am 200% sure of any wrong doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please relax. Jalsa has worked full-time with Team-BHP & raced in the VW Polo Cup. Trust me when I say this, he knows a thing or two about cars.

Wait for him to revert and please don't take the thread off-topic. Whether there is a recall or not, I can count on him to come back with full details.
Thanks GTO for the trust placed in me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now my actual post

Now that it has been confirmed by many of you that no other TASS seems to have any information regarding this, here are all the possibilities of how this information has reached team-bhp (some might seem stupid, but the possibilities must be listed):
1. SA mis-read or is/was mis-informed and thus I was misinformed.
2. SA straight lied to me.
3. I mis-understood what my SA told me (highly unlikely, but still a possibility).
4. I am lying to you (I promise, I am not lying)

So, I will explore the first 3 possibilities and come back with information ASAP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2019 at 07:54. Reason: Removing quoted posts which have been edited
jalsa777 is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 20:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Tata Hexa recall: Engine head replacement

Mod Note: Do NOT post biased / fanboy messages in favour of any manufacturer. We have ZERO tolerance of the same. Also, do NOT personally attack any BHPian.

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2019 at 07:48.
Old 9th January 2019, 20:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:

@MODS: Maybe we can add a question mark to the title of the thread for the time being. That’ll take care..
I guess without any concrete evidence, this thread is turning out to be a misinformation campaign, though inadvertently, against TATA. This thread is already having repercussion in the Harrier thread highlighting TATA in a negative light.

Mods please lock the thread instead of adding a question mark. The OP is not 100% sure if it is a recall and this itself warrants a closure instead of speculation.

Last edited by doxinboy : 9th January 2019 at 20:15.
doxinboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 20:34   #26
BHPian

Mod Note: Do NOT post biased / fanboy messages in favour of any manufacturer. We have ZERO tolerance of the same. Also, do NOT personally attack any BHPian.

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2019 at 07:49.
pk_del is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th January 2019, 20:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
As I had said in my opening post,

I posted this so that I get confirmation of the validity of this information that I received.

I am not trying to spread a rumour or misinformation.
We understand your intention however certain sections of your earlier posts (quoted below) sounded quite affirmative. It applies to the title of this thread as well. The 'story' changed from "full blown head replacement" to "car has since returned from the service station without any work" and it makes the entire thread quite, odd.

Quote:
UPDATE: It actually is a proper full blown head replacement.

Quote:
I shared this because this is a big recall and I feel Tata should inform the customer about it and why it is necessary.
Anyway, as others have also asked, this thread deserves to be closed and the title changed to something appropriate.

Last edited by Biraj : 9th January 2019 at 20:49.
Biraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 20:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:

I had visited the TASS for the 30,000 km regular service, some metallic vibration sound emanating for the engine bay (this sound definitely does not seem to be cylinder head related, nor did the TASS SA suggest that this was an issue related to the cylinder head, it could be related with some mounting as per him and will be diagnosed further when the car goes back) and a manual mode gear shift problem where sometimes the car refuses to register a driver request for a downshift.

This TASS is trusted by me and my SA seems to be a genuine, honest and straight-forward guy, he's worked on my car before and has always given me excellent service. I wouldn't publicly bash them unless I am 200% sure of any wrong doing.

I had a metallic vibration sound from the engine bay some time ago. Turned out to be the engine cover which was a little loose. Maybe it's as simple as that. TASS SAs with more experience can typically diagnose these very quickly.
mostlynerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 20:57   #29
BHPian

@jalsa777,
From your experience, do you see any symptoms that you feel might demand major work on engine, regardless of what TASS is saying. Slightly worried because I too own a XTA and inching towards 40k.
Old 9th January 2019, 21:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
@jalsa777,
From your experience, do you see any symptoms that you feel might demand major work on engine, regardless of what TASS is saying. Slightly worried because I too own a XTA and inching towards 40k.
I am currently at 30000+. Absolutely no issues, noises of any kind. Just enjoy the car. Every car is different and there is no guarantee that your experience will be the same as others.
mostlynerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed