Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2018, 15:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis: Steering too hard & my saga with Nexa

@Vibhanshu Try and get the wheel alignment done outside of Nexa Service center. The high speed issue you are experiencing might be due to misalignment. Speaking from my personal experience with a different car (Vista).
Old 27th December 2018, 15:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Vibhanshu, the company recommended pressures are 36 front and 32 rear. Do try that and post the feedback. 4 psi less than recommended may give a drag or sticky feeling too.

Happy to hear Maruti is actively looking into your issues after our superb forum has highlighted your problems and GTO moving it to a separate thread gives it a far better reach.

Hope this mess is resolved soonest.

Cheers
Thanks Cyborg. I've tried 36 as well, the steering was lighter but the stickiness was still apparent. Plus the ride became too harsh. Also there's the point of comparison with other demo cars that I've driven which don't have the stickiness.

At a point I thought it was subjective too. I drive a 2014 Ford Fiesta (facelift version) which has one of the best steering system I believe. I was careful to not let that affect my judgement for Ignis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@Vibhanshu Try and get the wheel alignment done outside of Nexa Service center. The high speed issue you are experiencing might be due to misalignment. Speaking from my personal experience with a different car (Vista).
This is new. I was actually present during the alignment and all the bolts were tightened using the torque specifications mentioned in the manual. I always thought a bad alignment would pull on either side. And it's not just high speed, generally anything above 40-50 kmph (and at 0 too, takes effort to move). Thanks for pointing out - I'll get it double checked outside
Old 27th December 2018, 16:11   #18
BHPian

I feel this stickiness whenever i drive my brother's Polo, exactly the same way you explained here. But my brother doesn't feel it at all. If all Ignis drive this way, then i think you've to adopt to this behavior.
EPS are calibrated differently, I hate EPS of VW (Polo), Hyundai (i10, Accent) - but love the new gen Fords. HPS are in a different league, but unfortunately its dead due to mass market demand.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th December 2018 at 16:17. Reason: Minor formatting
Old 27th December 2018, 17:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
If all Ignis drive this way, then i think you've to adopt to this behavior.
Exactly what I'm afraid of. But given that I've driven demo cars which are better, I'm optimistic for the outcome.

I knew Ignis doesn't has great steering. I read about it in Team-Bhp official test drive before purchasing the car. Didn't knew it's doing to be that bad. Again, test drive vehicles were not this bad as I'm experiencing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
EPS are calibrated differently, I hate EPS of VW (Polo), Hyundai (i10, Accent) - but love the new gen Fords. HPS are in a different league, but unfortunately its dead due to mass market demand.
I'd pick i10's steering anyday over Ignis's (Nexa) steering. 3.8 Turns lock to lock, without proper return action, is a proper biceps exercise (my 2014 Fiesta has 2.7 turns). My wife, who's a first time driver, is okay with this. But she also prefers i10 Steering (she learned on the same) because it had good return action making it easier to drive.
Old 27th December 2018, 17:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Yes, the wheel alignment was done. But I didn't note the values after. Assuming it would have been in the range. Given that only toe values are altered it should be in place because I don't see car going in either of the directions. But I can perhaps check (pull the records), next time I'm at the service center.

I maintain 32 on all tires.
Just asking because if there is too much of toe in, the steering will feel sticky, when you post the alignment report, we can see how much of toe in is set, making the toes 0 can improve the stickiness factor a bit if toe is the reason.

The Alpha variant has the 175/65/R15 size, isn't 32 too less for this? What is the recommended pressure written on the door?
Old 28th December 2018, 11:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Just asking because if there is too much of toe in, the steering will feel sticky, when you post the alignment report, we can see how much of toe in is set, making the toes 0 can improve the stickiness factor a bit if toe is the reason.

The Alpha variant has the 175/65/R15 size, isn't 32 too less for this? What is the recommended pressure written on the door?
I'll double check this then. Thanks.

Front is recommended for 36. I've tried that also. Everything became lighter i.e. steering a bit light, stickiness also a bit light - all even. So it didn't eliminate the problem, just reduced everything by say 5%. Plus, ride became too hard so went back to 32.
Old 28th December 2018, 12:07   #22
Team-BHP Support

We have an Ignis AMT and I would say it's steering is not the best. The assist is high at low speeds that makes it too light and when it cuts off (at higher speeds), it feels tight. I like tight and sharp steering, but yes it feels kinda odd, especially when one moves between cars like Grand Vitara, Endy and an Ignis. The mom in laws Ritz has a very similar feel to be honest. So my suggesting is before you go breaking down your car in the hands of incompetent mechs:

- Ensure air pressure is set within specs for the car
- Get alignment checked at a reliable place, if car has run more than 5k kms, do rotate also
- Take multiple test drives of other ignis's

Again this is based on my observation of my wife's car and I can't really be sure unless I drive yours
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 18:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I'll double check this then. Thanks.

Front is recommended for 36. I've tried that also. Everything became lighter i.e. steering a bit light, stickiness also a bit light - all even. So it didn't eliminate the problem, just reduced everything by say 5%. Plus, ride became too hard so went back to 32.

Hi

The steering experience narrated by Vibhanshu does not seems feeble which can be cured by wheel alignment, tweaking tyre pressure.
As he told increasing Tyre pressure too much will make stiff ride besides putting more impact on suspension and body. Seems like the EPS motor, its Power supply, torque or speed sense are faulty.
I purchased Ignis AMT Delta, last week and no sign of steering malfunction up till now. Yes as pointed by many persons the Return to centre action is not eager.

Prospective buyers should not take it as a blocker or drop point.
Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 19:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Disabling the power assist will make the steering heavy, but if it is still driveable, do drive it that way and see if the sticky feeling continues.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
We have an Ignis AMT and I would say it's steering is not the best. The assist is high at low speeds that makes it too light and when it cuts off (at higher speeds), it feels tight.
Hmm... assist is actually not high at low speeds. There's an underlying heaviness to it.
At stationary - the steering is proper heavy and takes good effort to turn.
10 kmph - 30 kmph - Assist increases and becomes relatively light. At these speeds there no steering return action unless you accelerate which causes mechanical return action.
40 kmph and above - Stickiness becomes apparent. Return action exists but only partially and depending of turn etc.
Quote:
I like tight and sharp steering, but yes it feels kinda odd, especially when one moves between cars like Grand Vitara, Endy and an Ignis. The mom in laws Ritz has a very similar feel to be honest.
This is new. I remember driving previous generation Swift (and the original generation) and Ritz twice. I remember all of those cars being quite different w.r.t. Steering than Ignis.
Quote:
So my suggesting is before you go breaking down your car in the hands of incompetent mechs:

- Ensure air pressure is set within specs for the car
- Get alignment checked at a reliable place, if car has run more than 5k kms, do rotate also
- Take multiple test drives of other ignis's

Again this is based on my observation of my wife's car and I can't really be sure unless I drive yours
I've done all the above and still no improvement. Except that my car is new (2K on odo). Now, Factory team would be checking out my car so fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
Hi
I purchased Ignis AMT Delta, last week and no sign of steering malfunction up till now. Yes as pointed by many persons the Return to center action is not eager.
Perhaps you'd like to drive my car for feedback, if you're in Mumbai
Quote:
Prospective buyers should not take it as a blocker or drop point.
Thanks
I 100% agree. We bought the car because it was better for our needs than any other car in the market. I am banking on the fact that this issue is a one off, even though the steering may not be it's strong point. We love the car for what it's good at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Disabling the power assist will make the steering heavy, but if it is still driveable, do drive it that way and see if the sticky feeling continues.

Regards
Sutripta
Not sure if this can be done. Power steering has many functions inside it such as locking mechanism. And most importantly, the system/ECU will just show error on the console and won't even let the car start.
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:13   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis : Official Review

Quote:

About the Sticky Feel
Unfortunately, the sticky feel is still there! It's less apparent at low speeds. But once you are out on long stretch and above 60 or 70 kmph and let's say you want to change direction or do correction in direction - that's when you realize that steering is not smooth and there's an internal friction. Perhaps "Stiction" is the right way to describe it. This gets very scary at high speeds, because you apply more force to steering and realize that you rotated too much and then you make corrections.
Is this a problem you believe is only with the automatic ones?

My dad has a ~6 month old Ignis (manual) which I have been driving over the past month; and have taken this on long highway trips for speeds ranging upto 1XX kmph (abiding by the forum rules ), but haven't found any steering malfunction.

Let me know the exact circumstance that you have; I can try to replicate it. But honestly so far I have found the steering too light to my liking; but otherwise not an issue.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 3rd January 2019 at 15:14. Reason: :)
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Is this a problem you believe is only with the automatic ones?
Cars I've driven:
- Manual Demo Car (20K+ on Odo) - No issues
- AMT Demo Car (20K+ on Odo) - No issues
- 2 Brand New Alpha AMT (less than 50 kms on Odo) - Problem existed.
Quote:
My dad has a ~6 month old Ignis (manual) which I have been driving over the past month; and have taken this on long highway trips for speeds ranging upto 1XX kmph (abiding by the forum rules ), but haven't found any steering malfunction.
I wouldn't call it malfunction. There are no errors on dasbboard OR when the laptop is connected. All values come as per standards. But it's a 'stickiness' that exists that makes lane changing at moderate to high speed a nervous exercise.
Quote:
Let me know the exact circumstance that you have; I can try to replicate it. But honestly so far I have found the steering too light to my liking; but otherwise not an issue.
I've posted the details on this thread. Kindly read the previous post. In a nutshell, I have to consciously apply extra force to get the steering moving (Stiction). As a result, I end up putting more force than needed, resulting in more turn than needed. And I end up making corrections. Imagine this in the entire driving experience. I'm always on high alert while managing the steering. On the demo cars, it's natural. I can make small adjustments sub-consciously like natural driving (no initial Stiction). One can literally feel the hardness (stuck) one the move. Once you apply more force, it would move. My guess is that, the lubrication of the power steering is not ample, that's why software are not showing any issues.

Maybe this issue which BMW Z4 suffered. (It's a guess only).

I'm awaiting a confirmation from Nexa Factory team for dates. I'm optimistic to get these questions answered.
Vibhanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:07   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've posted the details on this thread. Kindly read the previous post. In a nutshell, I have to consciously apply extra force to get the steering moving (Stiction). As a result, I end up putting more force than needed, resulting in more turn than needed. And I end up making corrections. Imagine this in the entire driving experience. I'm always on high alert while managing the steering. On the demo cars, it's natural. I can make small adjustments sub-consciously like natural driving (no initial Stiction). One can literally feel the hardness (stuck) one the move. Once you apply more force, it would move.
Understood - thanks for the explanation. No, I haven't found any such situation.

On a side note, I need to correct myself after checking with the family; the dad's car is actually much older vehicle; so maybe the issue isn't with these car(s).
Quote:
I'm awaiting a confirmation from Nexa Factory team for dates. I'm optimistic to get these questions answered.
All the best, hopefully they do come with something concrete!
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have a September 2018 Ignis Zeta Manual. I just did a Delhi-Kolkata-Delhi round trip, including the return trip being in one go for continuous 23hrs. The car was fantastic at high speeds with no issues to the steering. Yes it's super light at low speeds and no stickiness like you mentioned at higher speeds.

Not sure about how many kms your car has covered, but I think if it is substantial you may have messed up the front tyres. The Ignis is a very very light car. The front tyres do need to be inflated to a higher Psi to take the weight of the engine. You will hardly find cars which have a difference of 4psi between front and rear tyres, if any. If the company has recommended the same, there must be a reason. That too, 36Psi in itself is a high number.

My suggestion is put the rear tyres to the front, take it upto the recommended pressures and check once again.
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I have a September 2018 Ignis Zeta Manual. I just did a Delhi-Kolkata-Delhi round trip, including the return trip being in one go for continuous 23hrs.
Good to hear that! Ignis can actually crunch miles.
Quote:
The car was fantastic at high speeds with no issues to the steering. Yes it's super light at low speeds and no stickiness like you mentioned at higher speeds.
Okay, mine is definitely not super light at low speeds.
Quote:
Not sure about how many kms your car has covered,
2K Kms right now. But the issue has been from Day 1 of the delivery.
Quote:
but I think if it is substantial you may have messed up the front tyres. The Ignis is a very very light car. The front tyres do need to be inflated to a higher Psi to take the weight of the engine. You will hardly find cars which have a difference of 4psi between front and rear tyres, if any. If the company has recommended the same, there must be a reason. That too, 36Psi in itself is a high number.

My suggestion is put the rear tyres to the front, take it upto the recommended pressures and check once again.
Tried 36 also, didn't help. Tires haven't been rotated but alignment has been done multiple times. I agree, it's a very light car but doesn't that also mean that such high psi is not required especially when Ignis's suspensions are also stiff?

I'm not challenging the engineering behind it but we all know that many of us don't follow exact ratings. Rather lot of us adjust the tire pressure depending on tire manufacturer, sidewall stiffness, road conditions etc, ofcourse respecting the psi recommendations too. But such differences barely creates an issue for anyone.

Do you maintain 36 always? How has your experience been with the ride quality and especially braking?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks