Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2023, 17:08   #61
BHPian

Re: VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyg View Post
At 28.5K KM replaced rotors with TVS apache (those were the only ones available that day apart from bosch ). Now, am running at 42K KM , (not blaming 14K in 2.5 yrs on Lockdown- i do drive less - only leisure , no work).... I started getting very slight shudder around 40K which can be figured when very high speed and sudden braking . I guess it will go another 4K or so. Lesson - if you have some VW car - be ready to replace these rotors every 20 - 25K or so.

Or maybe, i should have gone with Bosch - If anyone has used those and knows life they give ???
Update on my above post- I finally had to replace the Disc rotor and Pad at 47K KM earlier in Jan 2023. So the last one ran for 19K KMs ... which all service folks are putting on my driving style , But I think VW has to something with this as in other models owned earlier - I went till 35K with no issues on highways . Anyways... Below are details on Replacement part, Cost, etc.

The condition of older TVS one in 19K
VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-old-apacherotor.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Tvs apache are the oem supplier for the VAG group in India. So no point in replacing the OEM part with this part. They are basically the same

For rotors, I recommend Rane followed by Bosch.
As Sagar suggested, and going by few of the threads - asked for Rane during service which wasn't available. So purchased below from boodmo.

Rotor- https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-rane_br331600-55540845/

VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-ranediscrotor1.jpeg

Old and New VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-ranediscrotor2.jpeg

Coming to Brake Pad-
Ordered rane Brake pad but Faced issue with the same - Boodmo mentioned this as compatible for my Diesel Vento (2015-19) , but please not ehtat these are not compatible and cant be fitted.

I contacted couple multi-branch service folks and they suggested against Rane pad which seem to be good in effectiveness but are hard and seem to wear out the rotor disc sooner. Unfortunately, there was no bosch available and the wheels were out taking sun-bath. Had to go for Apache pads as no other choice was there and using older worn-out ones- may kill rotor disc.

Let's hope this time it goes beyond 30K

Replaced both at Express car care at HSR. Service was Okayish- Next day saw some brake fluid leakage and contacted them and was tld that they will call back on what to do and when to be back- Still awaiting call back.
rustyg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 09:37   #62

I am owning 2018 Vento TSI 1.2 Highline and experiencing the front judder when gradually braking from a speed of 100 kmph or above.

I would like to know any sources to get Brembo brake pads, Brembo or any other high quality rotors for VW Vento.

Many people have mentioned Boodmo disc rotors.

Do these last better than the OEM?

Is it possible to retrofit any other car's disc rotors to Vento by any chance?
Old 11th April 2023, 15:57   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptron View Post
I am owning 2018 Vento TSI 1.2 Highline and experiencing the front judder when gradually braking from a speed of 100 kmph or above.

I would like to know any sources to get Brembo brake pads, Brembo or any other high quality rotors for VW Vento.
You can get Brembo from Boodmo and Motrparts. Also check in the local market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptron View Post
Many people have mentioned Boodmo disc rotors.

Do these last better than the OEM?
Boodmo is a shopping platform like Amazon. They do not create their own products.

Sharing the link from Motrparts here: https://www.motrparts.com/product-ca...28-product_cat

I see Meyle discs as well. They are good too. You can give them a try.

Last edited by ankitsharma : 11th April 2023 at 15:59. Reason: Adding link and more information
ankitsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 01:27   #64

I have a 2014 Polo Highline Petrol with over 85k on the odo and brakes are just fine. Recently got the discs skimmed & replaced brake pads with ones from Bosch.
But there are some issues; * whenever I start the car in morning a noise similar to gears grinding is heard. This on first attempt of ignition, after turning it to off and then starting again, no noise is heard.
* Both the front windows squeek when rolled down.
* Acceleration is dampened, couldn't really think of a reason behind this. Tried switching to premium fuel, tried additives. Sometimes when idling I can see white smoke out of the exhaust pipe. After idle acceleration, i can see a blackened?/wet? patch of land just below the exhaust pipe

WHAT COULD THIS BE?
Old 22nd June 2023, 11:44   #65
BHPian

Hey thanks for the info..
I'm thinking of replacing both the discs and pads with Meyle, just checked Meyle brake pads for the Vento 1.2TSI, there are 2 types available online - with Sensor and without sensor. Anybody know which ones will be correct for the 1.2 Tsi DSG model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post

Boodmo is a shopping platform like Amazon. They do not create their own products.

Sharing the link from Motrparts here: https://www.motrparts.com/product-ca...28-product_cat

Old 20th December 2023, 16:07   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I have experienced severe judder on the stock setup while braking from speeds in excess of 100 km/h.

As I'd suspected, the rotors were warped.

Since I had planned to undertake a long drive at least once every month and given that my work takes me to satellite towns near Bangalore, I'd decided to upgrade not just the rotors but the calipers and pads as well.

The upgrade to 288 mm rotors (as opposed to 250-odd mm rotors) and larger calipers (GTI OEM) with new pads has transformed the braking performance of my car.

Unfortunately, as I was desperate to change the setup, I had to shell out some serious dough and source parts that are pricier than they could have been. But with the right research and patience, you can upgrade your brakes (rotors, calipers, carriers and pads) for around 25k. I find that this investment is worth it, considering frequent pad and rotor changes for the stock setup. In conclusion, I strongly recommend people to give this a try.
hi suhas, looking around suggestions to replace/improving creaking discs/pads on my gt tsi i decided to follow your advice. these 4 things mentioned by you, is it possible to order it together from a website or a parts delaer in india ? are these available here ? could you kindly link to these items? thank you.
Old 20th December 2023, 22:28   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
hi suhas, looking around suggestions to replace/improving creaking discs/pads on my gt tsi i decided to follow your advice. these 4 things mentioned by you, is it possible to order it together from a website or a parts delaer in india ? are these available here ? could you kindly link to these items? thank you.
I am not sure if the website continues to advertise this product. You will have to check.

Most tuning firms in the country will have this available readily, or can help you import the parts if necessary. However, be prepared to spend a pretty penny on this upgrade if sourced through local channels as the kits will be significantly marked up.

Also, import duties and shipping has gone up quite a bit as well.

I would still suggest it though, as it improves braking performance and reduces the service intervals for the brakes.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 06:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Try talking or whatsapping this chap. Autofolk.in (Number below): +91 73034 05193

As Ive written elsewhere he is the Brembo distributor/ stockist in Bangalore and I recently bought a full set of Disc Rotors, Brake Pads and Sensors and replaced the ones on my Mini Cooper S which also, by the way, owing to its hyperactive traction control and electronic brake force systems, has a habit of chewing through brake pads and all at a rapid rate of speed.
Attached Thumbnails
VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-img_3263.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 13:10   #69
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if the website continues to advertise this product. You will have to check.

Most tuning firms in the country will have this available readily, or can help you import the parts if necessary. However, be prepared to spend a pretty penny on this upgrade if sourced through local channels as the kits will be significantly marked up.

Also, import duties and shipping has gone up quite a bit as well.

I would still suggest it though, as it improves braking performance and reduces the service intervals for the brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Try talking or whatsapping this chap. Autofolk.in (Number below): +91 73034 05193

As Ive written elsewhere he is the Brembo distributor/ stockist in Bangalore and I recently bought a full set of Disc Rotors, Brake Pads and Sensors and replaced the ones on my Mini Cooper S which also, by the way, owing to its hyperactive traction control and electronic brake force systems, has a habit of chewing through brake pads and all at a rapid rate of speed.

so, i enquired at a few places for the big brake kit. received quotes between 70k-85k. i dont think im going to drop that kind of money. car is got 5 yrs remaining of 15 yrs in delhi.

called up VW today. have been quoted for oem pads+disc: 1850+3500 + labor.

so between the oem and the BBK what is the middle option better than OEM ?

thanks.
Old 22nd December 2023, 13:22   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
so, i enquired at a few places for the big brake kit. received quotes between 70k-85k. i dont think im going to drop that kind of money. car is got 5 yrs remaining of 15 yrs in delhi.

called up VW today. have been quoted for oem pads+disc: 1850+3500 + labor.

thanks.
70-80k for an OEM BBK is ridiculous. Heavily marked up. Possibly by 100%. Not worth it at that price.

Replacement EBC rotors and EBC pads should do the trick for you.

However, if you are willing to experiment a little, you could consider building your own BBK - (1) the calipers, new rotors and pads from a Mk-1 Octavia (calipers should be super cheap to acquire and refurbish if necessary) and (2) carriers for the 288 mm rotors that you can separately import for a small fee of around €50 or so for the part if I’m not wrong.

If you manage to assemble this, you can replicate the OEM BBK at a fraction of the cost of an imported set sourced through a tuner/ supplier.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 13:25   #71
BHPian

Quote:
OEM to be honest provided by the service centres are the worst brake discs (not sure how good the pads are). They rust early - all kinds of lines form on the braking surface and braking effect when hot fades

Last iteration I tried to use OEM German made discs (via boodomo) - It was better than what the service centre usually fits. They showed lesser rust that too post a 1-1.5 years. Braking was much better

This time however, I decided to get better brakes (similar boat as you) - was looking for brembo pads and rotors - however since got to know it wasn't available at the last moment changed it to hella pagid discs + ABS (the brand) pads on the advice of my trusted car guy. The cost total was in tune of 10-15k as far as I remember all inclusive.

Performance wise - The braking has improved several notches. There is no drama and the car simply sheds speed nicely. Its been 2 weeks so we still have to see how they fair in the long run but the outlooks looks good. Could be an option for you too.

Only thing, while sourcing brembo make sure they are genuine, as due to the brand popularity chance of getting non-genuine product is high.
Rahul_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 18:06   #72
BHPian

Quote:
70-80k for an OEM BBK is ridiculous. Heavily marked up. Possibly by 100%. Not worth it at that price.

Replacement EBC rotors and EBC pads should do the trick for you.

However, if you are willing to experiment a little, you could consider building your own BBK - (1) the calipers, new rotors and pads from a Mk-1 Octavia (calipers should be super cheap to acquire and refurbish if necessary) and (2) carriers for the 288 mm rotors that you can separately import for a small fee of around €50 or so for the part if I’m not wrong.

If you manage to assemble this, you can replicate the OEM BBK at a fraction of the cost of an imported set sourced through a tuner/ supplier.
i looked around. its a mess. all the part numbers, too much work considering my current scenario. i think i'll just take up the middle option. a better stock size rotor+better pads. will you be able to link above. im not trying to be spoon fed but theres just so many its all over the place. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
OEM to be honest provided by the service centres are the worst brake discs (not sure how good the pads are). They rust early - all kinds of lines form on the braking surface and braking effect when hot fades

Last iteration I tried to use OEM German made discs (via boodomo) - It was better than what the service centre usually fits. They showed lesser rust that too post a 1-1.5 years. Braking was much better

This time however, I decided to get better brakes (similar boat as you) - was looking for brembo pads and rotors - however since got to know it wasn't available at the last moment changed it to hella pagid discs + ABS (the brand) pads on the advice of my trusted car guy. The cost total was in tune of 10-15k as far as I remember all inclusive.

Performance wise - The braking has improved several notches. There is no drama and the car simply sheds speed nicely. Its been 2 weeks so we still have to see how they fair in the long run but the outlooks looks good. Could be an option for you too.

Only thing, while sourcing brembo make sure they are genuine, as due to the brand popularity chance of getting non-genuine product is high.
this sounds good too. would you be anle to link the exact disc/pad.

there's just so many of them and look identical. im very confused. thanks.

EDIT : also boodmo won't let me see the complete part number.

Last edited by rana_kirti : 26th December 2023 at 18:27.
Old 26th January 2024, 08:47   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post

Thanks buddy - for now, due to lack of time for research, I went ahead and got the OEM discs and brakepads to replace the old ones. I collected the older discs from them and at a nearby workshop in Pimpri (Pune), I was able to get the "Facing" done to remove surface irregularities from those discs. That was just ₹ 180 per disc. So total ₹ 360!

VW OEM Discs + brakepads approximately costed me ₹ 7500-8000 or so including labour.

I have done about 3000 odd km after this replacement and currently the braking performance is excellent without any judder - let us see if this truly lasts long or the issue returns after a while.
Raptron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 13:56   #74

Hi,

I have a 2021 Polo tsi and was facing a lot of issues with the stock brakes. Juddering at 100kmph + and uneven wear of the pads. The pads were almost gone after 15k kms so decided to upgrade to ATE stock replacement pads (sourced from GermanKart) and got the rotors skimmed/phased.

It’s been another 15k kms post the upgrade, the braking has been a lot of better than before, no juddering at high speeds, though felt it slightly once when I was doing around 130/40kmph on the DME and tried checking the brakes on a empty stretch (do not promote or recommend speeding at all). I pads will run for another 2-3k kms and will need replacement for sure.

Thinking of upgrading both the pads and rotors this time considering the below average quality of the stock rotors and do not wish to get them skimmed/phased again.

Has anyone tried ATE powerdisk with ATE OEM replacement pads? They’re the same size and spec.

The ATE powerdisk is slotted. Would appreciate some feedback on this else will go for the ATE made stock rotors (imported) with ATE pads.

Attaching the image for the ATE powerdisk for reference.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-img_8410.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks