Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2022, 19:39   #46
BHPian

Re: VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear

It is very bad that VW group has not taken any cognizance of the issue and still selling products with the faulty rotors/pads.
I own Skoda Rapid TSI 2021 and this shuddering issue came up near 10K kms. Initially I though it to be ABS pulsating action but then at around 12K the shuddering became serious. At 80kmph steering was vibrating hard enough for the co-passenger to notice.
On my first service @ Raja Skoda Bangalore, the SA told me that my discs have developed scouring and it would need replacement. When asked on the life of rotors he mentioned it to be only 15-16K kms.
This is really a sad state of affairs @ VW because I have never changed my rotors in any of the cars I owned before.

Most of the Rapid owners in the Owners group reported this issue and hence I was planning to put in Vento discs & pads. But after reading this thread I think it would be best to go with aftermarket stuff.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 19:54   #47
Team-BHP Support

Guys, try these imported rotors? They are from VWAG Germany and sourced from ATE. Each unit is priced at Rs 2232.

Link - https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-6r0615301c-33095580/

The cheaper ones are now sourced from a vendor based out of Gujarat (if my memory serves me right) costs Rs 1377 each.

Link - https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-brake_disc-5678902/

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th February 2022 at 20:44. Reason: Corrected the link.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 20:44   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, try these imported rotors? They are from VWAG Germany and sourced from ATE. Each unit is priced at Rs 2232.

Link - https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-6rf615301c-33095770/

The cheaper ones are now sourced from a vendor based out of Gujarat (if my memory serves me right) costs Rs 1377 each.

I think you missed the 2232 link. Both the products are 13xx INR.
Old 16th February 2022, 20:46   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
I think you missed the 2232 link. Both the products are 13xx INR.
Thank you. Corrected the link.

Basically this one:

VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-765a6a70c8fe42a4a032be2d1f375ae8.jpeg

PC users, sorry for the high-res upload.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 22:54   #50
BHPian

Are you sure on this one for 2020 TSI manufactured Rapids ?

I see it is not mentioned explicitly in the compatibility list.

Also the height of this Germany one is an mm higher at 37 mm while the other one is 36mm only.
Attached Thumbnails
VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-screenshot_20220216224956.jpg  

VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-screenshot_20220216224849.jpg  

VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-screenshot_20220216224832.jpg  

Old 17th February 2022, 08:14   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you sure on this one for 2020 TSI manufactured Rapids ?

I see it is not mentioned explicitly in the compatibility list.

Also the height of this Germany one is an mm higher at 37 mm while the other one is 36mm only.
Boodmo’s compatibility list is not updated properly so don’t go purely by that. This works with all the generations of the Polo, Vento and Rapid sold in India. There are no differences to the sizes of the brake discs (256 mm dia x 22 mm thk, 5 x 100 PCD).
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 22:19   #52
Team-BHP Support

If this is the kind of OEMs to whom manufacturers have outsourced the supply of rotors to in the name of cost cutting, then God save us!

Quality of the rotors aside, the absolute disregard for safety and lack of PPE is really concerning! These must be going to some SUV or pickup truck going by the size and number of holes on the discs.
Old 7th March 2022, 01:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
It is very bad that VW group has not taken any cognizance of the issue and still selling products with the faulty rotors/pads.
Couldn't agree more. After some serious thought, I sold off the car in April 2021 and decided never to go for Skoda/ VW (in India).

Last edited by raman.aries : 7th March 2022 at 01:51.
Old 14th March 2022, 15:33   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raman.aries View Post
Couldn't agree more. After some serious thought, I sold off the car in April 2021 and decided never to go for Skoda/ VW (in India).
Oh man ! You probably got too many issues.

Quote:

Basically this one:

Attachment 2273560

Got these from boodmo. Will get this installed in a day or two. Lets see how they go and last.

P.S. I wanted to install them myself, all thanks to your DIY video but right now it would be too much to invest in the equipment and I have few trips coming up one after another starting Holi. Hence would get this done in a nearby garage for 500 INR
Attached Thumbnails
VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-img_20220314_150806.jpg  

VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-img_20220314_151045.jpg  

Last edited by ankitsharma : 14th March 2022 at 15:35.
ankitsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 21:57   #55
BHPian

Quote:

Link - https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-6r0615301c-33095580/

Can anyone share feedback on these Rotors? My 13k run vento has started shuddering again and I see no point in approaching the service centre again for these short term fixes (or rather replacements).
Old 20th August 2022, 21:02   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyg View Post
Hi Rajeev,
I picked up a used Vento Highline lately and noticed the shudder as soon as I hit the highway last weekend. Considering very bad experience with VW Whitefield when doing pre-purchase vehicle check, I thought of exploring some other place.
I saw in the thread about wheels wisdom and your annual membership, but also mentioned some multi-brand service center which actually did the skimming. Any pointers to the this multi-brand place?
Thanks.
Replying on one my own old post from Jan, 2020, to give my experience with the replacement. Seems even newer models are facing the issue and that too much sooner. if only VW fixed it at the root of problem.

Anyways, here is my experience - i took membership of WheelsWisdom and arranged to replace the rotor and brake pad. - Wheels Wisdom folks are really great but more on that in separate and relevant thread- At 28.5K KM replaced rotors with TVS apache (those were the only ones available that day apart from bosch ). Now, am running at 42K KM , (not blaming 14K in 2.5 yrs on Lockdown- i do drive less - only leisure , no work).... I started getting very slight shudder around 40K which can be figured when very high speed and sudden braking . I guess it will go another 4K or so. Lesson - if you have some VW car - be ready to replace these rotors every 20 - 25K or so.

Or maybe, i should have gone with Bosch - If anyone has used those and knows life they give ???
Attached Thumbnails
VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-a4fd78d0aeab413da9241bc27937d76f.jpg  

Old 20th August 2022, 21:26   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Tvs apache are the oem supplier for the VAG group in India. So no point in replacing the OEM part with this part. They are basically the same

For rotors, I recommend Rane followed by Bosch.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 06:56   #58
BHPian

Quote:

Basically this one:

Attachment 2273560

The shudder is back on my 2020 Vento after just 4000kms. I was doubting if it was my driving style that was contributing to the premature wear but have been driving sedately over this tenure - the problem definitely lies only with the OEM quality.

I have bought these ATE discs from Boodmo and require help with the part numbers for brake pads (and any other parts) that I should be buying. Tried researching online but it’s quite confusing. Please help!
Old 20th September 2022, 14:50   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakubKC View Post
Can anyone share feedback on these Rotors? My 13k run vento has started shuddering again and I see no point in approaching the service centre again for these short term fixes (or rather replacements).

The shudder is back on my 2020 Vento after just 4000kms. I was doubting if it was my driving style that was contributing to the premature wear but have been driving sedately over this tenure - the problem definitely lies only with the OEM quality.

I got these ATE sourced imported discs installed along with stock TVS pads. Discs are good and have not developed marks yet ( Have driven 2K+ on them). Braking feel and distance is the same as stock.
Initially there was no juddering but off late, after 5-6 days of non-use the first high speed breaking creates judder and then all is well. I am suspecting the stock TVS pads to be the issue. Will change this soon to ATE or Meyle.

Got a quote of 2200 for Meyle and 4300 for ATE from German Cart on Instagram. They are based out of Calicut, Kerela. They have Textar as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakubKC View Post
I have bought these ATE discs from Boodmo and require help with the part numbers for brake pads (and any other parts) that I should be buying. Tried researching online but it’s quite confusing. Please help!
You can try searching boodmo with filter of your car and manufacturing year. They have IGB, Rane, Bosch and Rolunds. You can try anyone of them. Please do not go for the stock pads with the new ATE rotors. These stock pads are the actual issue IMO.

Last edited by ankitsharma : 20th September 2022 at 14:53. Reason: Adding more information
Old 26th January 2023, 23:41   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Oh man ! You probably got too many issues.

Got these from boodmo. Will get this installed in a day or two. Lets see how they go and last.
Update on these Germany sourced VW rotors:
The setup with these rotors and stock brake pads ran good for about 5k Kms. It was already showing judder once a while but later at every high speed braking it judders. The issue is back.
I had changed my pads to Meyle sourced from Boodmo. Worked good for a week.
Today drove on Yamuna Expressway and at 100+ speeds the judder is back again.
I am really tired of this
ankitsharma is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks