Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2019, 15:23   #31
BHPian

Re: VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Could you share the part numbers for both the Brembo disc and pads? Thanks!
Don't remember the part numbers. Got them sourced from Yolo Chennai.
Later people started getting some issues as mentioned earlier, because of a dip in QC apparently for the goods being made in the China factory.
Intelsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 17:24   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Hope somebody tries the Brembo pads with the stock rotors and report on the issue.
Here's my experience with Brembo red pads on stock rotors: Link (VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear)
BigBrad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 16:11   #33

Dear Team,

I have a 2016 Polo 1.2 Petrol which has run 6500 KMS. The car has mostly been parked and driven occasionally. I am getting a rhythmic brushing sound (The tempo varies with speed) when applying the brakes.

I believe the culprit is rust or something stuck in the braking components.
The car is parked in a covered garage with a concrete floor, but the climate in my city is very humid and damp throughout the year and I am getting this noise after the car has been idle for about a month during the monsoon season.

I am not able to make out from which wheel the sound is originating from, but I guess it is one of the rear wheels. Can someone please help me to self diagnose the issue and DIY solutions. I do not want to blindly follow any gibberish the ASC throws at me and go for costly repairs/replacements.

Note: The car is still under extended warranty. Just wanted to mention this if in case I may have to push for something.

Thanks & Regards.
VirginWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 17:01   #34
Team-BHP Support

My 2012 Polo 1.6 is on its 3rd set of discs at 30000km

First set was replaced under warranty around 18000km under its first owner. I recently bought it but found the braking below par. CarSmiths found that they were warped.

The discs cost around Rs 2500 a pair. Fairly cheap but I dont think mine will last that long
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 18:03   #35
Team-BHP Support

I have experienced severe judder on the stock setup while braking from speeds in excess of 100 km/h.

As I'd suspected, the rotors were warped.

Since I had planned to undertake a long drive at least once every month and given that my work takes me to satellite towns near Bangalore, I'd decided to upgrade not just the rotors but the calipers and pads as well.

The upgrade to 288 mm rotors (as opposed to 250-odd mm rotors) and larger calipers (GTI OEM) with new pads has transformed the braking performance of my car.

Unfortunately, as I was desperate to change the setup, I had to shell out some serious dough and source parts that are pricier than they could have been. But with the right research and patience, you can upgrade your brakes (rotors, calipers, carriers and pads) for around 25k. I find that this investment is worth it, considering frequent pad and rotor changes for the stock setup. In conclusion, I strongly recommend people to give this a try.
suhaas307 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 07:29   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The discs cost around Rs 2500 a pair. Fairly cheap but I dont think mine will last that long
VAG has done something here, the disks have gone cheaper than before and the quality has improved.
So, your current setup is better than the previous ones. Hopefully, should last longer as well.
Intelsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 08:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelsingh View Post
VAG has done something here, the disks have gone cheaper than before and the quality has improved.
So, your current setup is better than the previous ones. Hopefully, should last longer as well.
I don't think the quality has improved but the other way round. My earlier Vento's brakes feel better than the Ameo's. Not sure of that is true for all but this is my personal thoughts and feeling.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 16:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
.......This time got the discs skimmed at a multi brand center and that resolved the issue. Now the odo is at 47k and I have started to feel the shudder when braking from high speeds again. The car is in the service center for the 5th service and a disc replacement has been recommended. Since I skimmed it last time and given past history the issue will become worse soon. Hence have asked to replace.

This post has pictures of the discs before and after skimming
Hi Rajeev,
I picked up a used Vento Highline lately and noticed the shudder as soon as I hit the highway last weekend. Considering very bad experience with VW Whitefield when doing pre-purchase vehicle check, I thought of exploring some other place.
I saw in the thread about wheels wisdom and your annual membership, but also mentioned some multi-brand service center which actually did the skimming. Any pointers to the this multi-brand place?
Thanks.
Old 29th June 2020, 01:26   #39
BHPian

For those who think VW has begun making use of better quality rotors, I guess it's just the opposite. My Nov 2019 Polo TDI has done just 5.8k kilometres and I experienced the dreaded steering judder for the first time today. It is very prominent when I brake from 90 kph onwards and peaks between 70 and 50 kph as speeds come down.
karan86 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 16:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan86 View Post
For those who think VW has begun making use of better quality rotors, I guess it's just the opposite. My Nov 2019 Polo TDI has done just 5.8k kilometres and I experienced the dreaded steering judder for the first time today. It is very prominent when I brake from 90 kph onwards and peaks between 70 and 50 kph as speeds come down.
Thank you for letting us know about this in this thread. It is really unfortunate that the issue is still not sorted; the product has been around for around 10 years.

Hope you would be taking it up with them to get it replaced.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th September 2020 at 15:35. Reason: Minor spacing
raman.aries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 18:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

After going through this thread, I am shocked to see that the newer cars are having brake issues. I own a 2012 VW Polo 1.6 petrol and have completed around 75k kms till date and have had a brake rotor and brake pad change only once in the 08 years of ownership.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 13:03   #42
BHPian

Guess the issue persists. Mine is a 2019 GT TSI which just crossed 10,000KM. The infamous shudders have started while braking from speeds over 100+.

I reported the same to the VW Service Center here and they said the same ol story. Driving Style, Automatic Transmission and no skimming possible. The quoted price for a pair of rotors and pads are Rs. 5000.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th September 2020 at 15:36. Reason: Minor spacing
Old 9th November 2020, 12:46   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealtoman View Post
Guess the issue persists. Mine is a 2019 GT TSI which just crossed 10,000KM. The infamous shudders have started while braking from speeds over 100+.

I reported the same to the VW Service Center here and they said the same ol story. Driving Style, Automatic Transmission and no skimming possible. The quoted price for a pair of rotors and pads are Rs. 5000.
I hope you got it replaced for free from them.
Old 14th January 2021, 19:11   #44
BHPian

My 4 month old Vento (with 2500km on the odo) started shuddering at speeds of 80kmph with vibrations clearly felt on the pedal and steering. Took it to the service center and was told that brakes are a wear and tear item and would not be covered under warranty. Spoke to more responsible people at the ASC and after leaving the car for 3 days, got it back today with both brake discs replaced free of cost. The SA informed me that the original discs seem to have some defect and he's put in some 'upgraded discs' which he was unable to substantiate. It beats me how it could have been damaged at 2500km - bad quality perhaps?
Attached Thumbnails
VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-img_20210114_190725.jpg  

VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear-img_20210114_190748.jpg  

YakubKC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 10:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raman.aries View Post
I hope you got it replaced for free from them.
No luck mate. Had to pay up as they said its a wear and tear part. But the new brakes seems to be of better quality though.

Most Viewed