Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2007, 00:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

IKONic problems

ive got a 2000 ikon 1.6....bought it second-hand...in september 06'..the cars done 24000.

The car had been serviced in june by the previous owner and during that service..an a/c job and ENGINE JERKING job had been done.

Its december now have drive the car since 3 months without any problem what so ever..BUT a week ago the car started jerking again..what happens is when iam pickup in first there is no problem but when i shift from 1st onto 2nd the car starts jerking at low rpms 2800 or so.

This jerking has gone from bad to worse in the past few days...the jerking has started as soon as i pick up in 1st, it doesnt idle like it used to on the smooth engine tone...there are like gaps of sound when she idles(if you know what i mean) and it jerks through all the gears.

Also the release of the clutch is very very late now..if from stand still i try to lift of at half clutch pressed it wont move, when my leg is almost of the clutch that is the time she will go forward.

Spoke to a friend today he says it has something to do with the ignition coil....also he said it may not be firing on all cylinders

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2nd January 2007, 00:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Happened to me once, only at high rpms.

Try changing your spark plug wires.
Old 2nd January 2007, 00:30   #3
BHPian

may be the coils, we too faced somewhat similar problems at 44000kms or so on our 2001 1.6 Ikon
Old 2nd January 2007, 00:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Even i've had the ignition coil problem in my ikon.Its an inherent problem.
Old 2nd January 2007, 04:10   #5
BHPian

I also faced same problem for my 2000 Ikon 1.6. The fault was traced to the cylinder control cable which was half eaten by MICE. So the car was firing on 3 cylinders.
We changed that wire and then car was smooth again!
Old 2nd January 2007, 09:31   #6
BANNED

Hey Danny Boy,

If you remember I had told you of these problems 3 months back. You car is overdue for a major tune up, clutch overhaul and servicing.

Viper
Old 2nd January 2007, 13:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, it is either the ignition coil or the plug cords or the clutch. please replace the ignition coil & the plug cords first & see how it is. if it still continues, then i am afraid your odo has been tampered since there is no way the clutch will fool around at 20 odd k kms.
Old 2nd January 2007, 19:27   #8
BHPian

Is this problem faced after cold AND warm starts? If yes, the problem could be with a number of things including:

a) ignition: Wire upgrade and/or a coil replacement might help.
b) clutch: as mentioned, get clutch overhaul done if necessary, although u shouldn't require it.
c) intake manifold fuel 'pooling': cleaning out or polishing your intake manifold will help.

If the problem is only evident at cold starts, I'd advise a longer warm-up time followed by gentle revs. This will help the fuel flow more uniformly.

Let us know how u end up fixing it!
Old 3rd January 2007, 00:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

well iam sure its not tampered with since i bought it off a close cousin.
Well i think the clutch is showing signs of wear because its been under "aunty driving"
Confirmed with the ford garage today its the ignition coils.
Dam this is going to delay my Conical Performance filter from viper.
Old 3rd January 2007, 19:53   #10
BHPian

While you're at it, Get the Throttle and Injectors cleaned also, Not only will it improve the pickup and power, it will also save up the Fuel for the Conical Filter
Old 14th January 2007, 03:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

So i went to Wasan ford(deonair) finally since my Chief insisted...to fix my ignition cable ..on getting there i learnt that this is the most common problem for the ikon..and iam lucky that mine has taken so much time to fail(had been done in 2003 previously).well my total estimate for my ignition coil 4500/'(incl labour,vat..etc)...NOW what the quoted me for my clutch is absurd..9000/-
and 3000/- service..what is the approx pricing for the clutch for the 1.6 ikon.
Old 6th April 2007, 23:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

New Problems!!!!

..The guys at ford have messed up my fuse box i think...At first...i had gone to them with a problem that when ever i accelerated in 1st gear nearing 5000rpm all the lights used to go out...took it too them..they fixed that..but now whenever i use the brake all the lights(not incl the headlights) come on..the parking lights,dash lights,instrument cluster...all come on...
The other problem is that when is when i am turn off the ignition and my foot is on the brake, the engine keeps running...after i release the break the car goes off...now is this a problem or does that usually happen..???
Old 7th April 2007, 00:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

oh man, you seem to be getting into too many problems. my sympathies. Your fuse box is all screwed up. Ask them to check it fully.

Engine running when foot is on brake and igintion is turned off is definitely a problem. Dunno how it occurs though. First time I'm hearing this.
Old 27th May 2007, 15:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

So,
Sofar i had the A/c problem that cropped up sometime back...Where as the A/c on cooling for 1/2hr would suddenly throw out hot HOT AIR...as if the heater were turned on..
But ive got that sorted out.Thanks to a few members suggestions about the water diverter valve.So coolings back to normal.

The Clutch.
Now the Clutch is Due for Replacement.
Needed to know where can i get the clutch replaced for my car.
Should i get it done from the dealer itself.
What is the approx cost.
Need to replace clutch plates,pressure plates..etc
Old 28th May 2007, 11:45   #15
BHPian

Man, you are having a lot of problems with that car!! My ikon has done 65K kms and no major problems.. my clutch is due for an overhaul i guess replacing clutch pressure plates would be around Rs.8000. Has the jerking problem been sorted out??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks