Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2008, 12:03   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
It'll touch 200kph on the odo with ease. Filter & Headers. Stock not sure.
Well Dan, technically speaking, I can go upto 999.9 on my odo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
I too have touched 170Kms, but was not able to go beyond that as the road ended. And didn't get an opportunity to test it beyond that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@gogi - We have touched around a 180 in our Ikon and one of my friend's did a good 190kmph speedo indicated.
The Max I've touched is 180(speedo indicated)- on the Expressway, on a flat stretch. This was in a 2001 model 1.6 (Euro 1) I also have a 2003 Nxt - I Think this one goes to just below 180, will test it with the GPs next time I'm on the expressway and update here.
Old 20th November 2008, 18:01   #92
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I have a 2004 1.6 nxt.Great drive i must say.But of late the coolant started getting drained every two days.Got it checked out at SC Ford and they checked out the entire line the coolant passes through and changed all worn out parts.they charged me 22k's.I was present the entire time the car was in the workshop.So i no theres no leakage now..but a couple of days later it gets drained again..

The engine now does not start unless cranked 7-8 times..took her back to ford they had a complete check.turns out the compression is not as high as it should be..They also said that the coolant was seeping into the block.thats how its getting drained.Their solution open the head and check it out.But the service rep refused to give me an estimate???the only estimate he was willing to give me was for the head gasket.And also stated wort case senerio change the head...

Rest alls fine checked the harness.cleaned the njectors, fuel pressure is also fine, throttle body looks good.

Does ny one know a good mechanic in mumbai where i can get the head work done.As the FORD A.S.S. is very expensive.I live in Malad.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:53   #93
BHPian

how much are they quoting for the head gasket BTW? i found out that the gasket with head bolts costs around 2.5k. but not sure how much labor if it is just changing the gasket.
Old 24th November 2008, 18:12   #94
Senior - BHPian

I had a very similar issue. i just tank it up with water and start. the issue was with my thermostat valve not functioning. removed the unit and found it defective. found out that the valve wont open and there was return flow as steam to the coolant tank. that was how the coolant was deprecaiting. after we opened up the unit, we were kind of in a dilemma about changing it as the unit costs abut 3.5k. asked them to drill a small hole in the valve to see how it works. never had a problem till date. this was about 3 months back
Old 26th November 2008, 10:58   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I had a very similar issue. i just tank it up with water and start. the issue was with my thermostat valve not functioning. removed the unit and found it defective. found out that the valve wont open and there was return flow as steam to the coolant tank. that was how the coolant was deprecaiting. after we opened up the unit, we were kind of in a dilemma about changing it as the unit costs abut 3.5k. asked them to drill a small hole in the valve to see how it works. never had a problem till date. this was about 3 months back
Govigov they cheched the thermostat valve and it seems to be fine..Dont no yet what the exact problem is..
Old 17th December 2008, 09:49   #96
BHPian

Hey guys.Any body here nos a reputed mechanic around Malad area in mumbai..
Old 3rd January 2009, 21:23   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
Well Dan, technically speaking, I can go upto 999.9 on my odo!
YA. BUt you got the point right.

Ok so Here iam again with the next set of problems.

1) Some pipe thats connected from the coolant box to the engine burst on a sunny sunday. Coolant leaked and car overheated and started smoking.
So i sent it to the garage and got it check, apparently that whole assembly had to be changed so a job of 200/- cost me 3000/-.

Had gone to lonavala for newyears and while on the way back i decided to stretch the ikon's legs a bit and had some REV limting driving. This unfortunetly was with the a/c on at times.

A/c worked well even after that. As soon as we hit traffic in mumbai the car started to overheat and after a certain point of time the a/c stopped cooling and the car started to heat above normal.
I open the bonnet and heard a hissing sound coming from the part that had got changed. Now what could be the problem..????

The Compressor comes on and also the blower but there is no cooling at all.

Heres the pic that shows where the part is that had to be changed. Sorry bumbed the photo from NC's gallery since it had the hood open.

IKONic problems-ikon.jpg
Old 3rd January 2009, 22:11   #98
Senior - BHPian

thats where the thermostat valve is located ??
Old 3rd January 2009, 22:41   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
thats where the thermostat valve is located ??
Iam guessing so...

ALso now the fans and the compressor dont come on even though the a/c switch is on. Ohh and i have a brand new battery so i doubt it can be the battery.
Old 3rd January 2009, 23:44   #100
BHPian

The Hissing sound probably is due to extreme pressure in coolant system due to overheating, get check your radiator fan,thermostat,coolant temp sensor again. Is your coolant level normal ?

Its good idea to keep checking for initial few days the coolant level for any leaks/radiator fan working, etc after any kind of major repair in coolant system.
Old 4th January 2009, 13:43   #101
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jetu.

Got the car checked today. Seems that the condensor unit had a leak in it so and has lost all the gas. Also the radiator fan and the engine fan is one unit. So the car heats up since the fan doesnt come on.

Can the condensor be fixed. Should i replace it..??
Old 4th January 2009, 14:44   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Also the radiator fan and the engine fan is one unit. So the car heats up since the fan doesnt come on...
True, the fan is coomon for both, but did mechanic find out root cause why the fan doesnt comes on? even if condenser is leaking the fan should come "ON" when A.C is switched on.

Quote:
Can the condensor be fixed. Should i replace it..??
depends where leak is, but better change it.
Old 4th January 2009, 19:17   #103
BHPian

Check your fan relay. The A/C can be switched on only after the ECU senses the fan relay has switched on. It seems that earlier the operation may have been errratic and now its not switching on.
Regarding the Car working perfectly during your drive, at speeds of 90 plus on long drives , the engine temperature actually comes down. I have noticed this behaviour a lot of times in all weather conditions. Maybe due to increased air flow over the radiator.

OT, why did the thermostat housing have to be replaced ? The actual location is below the area you have indicated - it is a black plastic cup shaped body mounted on the engine with tubes coming out and usaully doesnt fail, execept for mishandling while replacing the thermostat.
Old 6th January 2009, 00:07   #104
Senior - BHPian

Problem solved.

A/c condensor had a leak in it. This is what he charged me

1)Gas charging :1250/-
2)condensor repairing : 450/- (but the $ didnt stop there)
3)Full A/c flushing : 250/- (Was that necessary??)
4)Comp Oil : 200/-
5) Bumper open and fitting : 200/-
6) Vaccum Cleaning : 300/- (FOR WHAT)
7) Radiator Fan Fuse wiring checking : 200/-

Total : 2850/-

Paid 2000/- after some Higgle Haggle. But i still feel its too much

Now the radiator Fan doesnt switch off like it used to. It remains on. What seems to be the issue.
Old 6th January 2009, 15:36   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Now the radiator Fan doesnt switch off like it used to. It remains on. What seems to be the issue.
are you sure that the car isn't overheating? is the coolant getting over faster than usual? or maybe it isn't circulating. what about power - is it normal?

overheating could lead to a blown head gasket which will cause loss of power & mileage. it will also lead to overheating because heat (and oil) will be leaking into the coolant. that's my understanding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks