Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2018, 20:36   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes C-Class: Grinding noise from the brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
In your friends case, the owner could drive the car himself and bed the brakes in. Unless of course he doesn't drive at all.
You just hit the nail on the head. He has not been in the driver's seat for a long time, and couldn't care about such mundane things as driving - that's the chauffeur's job, and he's paid well for it!
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 21:05   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You just hit the nail on the head. He has not been in the driver's seat for a long time, and couldn't care about such mundane things as driving - that's the chauffeur's job, and he's paid well for it!
No worries! There's something called 'backseat driving" which many of us experience with our spouses.

Either the owner (OR even yourself as you've expended a lot of effort in resolving the problem) could just sit comfortably in the back/front seat and give the driver directions on what to do when a new friction set is installed.

Drivers are generally very clued into vehicles they drive and he would probably be quite appreciative of this process. Heck, it's not every day that you bed in a MB's or any other car's braking system.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 06:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Could it be that there are differences in insulation between the C Class versus other higher level Mercedes models?

Still; you would not expect any mechanical noise to make it in to the cabin.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th August 2018 at 06:18.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 08:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Now what? Any suggestions welcome.
An often overlooked and usually root cause for brake noise problems are the Caliper Guide Pins. If the vehicle is new, odds are it's not lubricated well, and if old, pins are corroded. Or a combination of the two.

Dunno if you have checked already, but it is easy to inspect and be sure to lubricate with some good quality high temp grease.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 11:07   #20
BHPian

2. Use an anti-squeal paste to damp the low-pitch vibrations from the pads & calipers. I narrowed down to a Liqui Moly product available on Amazon. Since this is an entirely reversible process as well as easier to procure the product, I thought I'd give this a try first.

Read this again today and suggest you do the following step-wise:
1) clean the entire braking system, including calipers, with an appropriate cleaner/solvent and reassemble. Do not apply cleaner again after this.
2) Coat the caliper pins with high temperature lithium grease only before reinserting
3) Tighten the bracket bolts using a torque wrench only. But for this you will have to find out the torque value to which the bolts are to be tightened. ----> this is critical

All the best
Old 8th August 2018, 22:01   #21
BHPian

My Honda City automatic makes the same sound !! Clearly not limited to luxo barges!
KaranP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 15:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
My Honda City automatic makes the same sound !! Clearly not limited to luxo barges!
Have you found a solution yet? My Verna AT makes a similar sound too and I've not found out why yet!
Old 16th August 2018, 16:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

My Polo GTI too makes this noise. It's present only at very slow parking speeds and has been there from day one. Not only noise while braking at slow speeds, my car creaks even when the hand brake or regular brakes are engaged and someone gets in and out of the car! The culprit in my car is clear the rear discs. When brakes are not engaged there is no sound when one gets in or out.

I got the car serviced recently and reported this issue. The noise was gone for one day and now it's back. I guess I will have to just live with it.
Old 16th August 2018, 20:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
Have you found a solution yet? My Verna AT makes a similar sound too and I've not found out why yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
My Polo GTI too makes this noise.
This is a common malaise of cost engineered vehicles, including the OP's friends car. The brakes are usually slightly undersized for the task. Not that they will be insufficient, but will suffer from higher than normal temperature related issues.

Next time you take the car for service, either replace the caliper guide pins if not too expensive, else have them specifically open and lubricate the pins as they are rarely serviced. I can assure you there will be a difference.

Cheers.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 13:29   #25
BHPian

Grinding noise while braking on uneven surface

Hello everyone

First of all, a big thank you to the moderators for accepting my membership. Team BHP has been my go-to platform for any car related news or advices. I used to binge-read all the ownership reviews at one point. So once again, thank you so much for accepting my membership. Also, i hope everyone is sound and safe.

I own a Maruti Dzire ZDI AGS. I purchased the car on March 12th (yes, i remember the date precisely because i purchased it from my own funds), The car has clocked roughly around 42,400 kms till date. Before this lockdown, my daily travel commute to office was 35 kms one way (Kharghar-Powai). But once the lockdown started, my commute has reduced drastically and it is expected to remain the same atleast till December 2020.

At the start of lockdown, i used to park my car with handbrake engaged for long duration of time. Nowadays, I park my car in Manual mode without engaging the handbrake (if i park my car for more than 3-4 days).

Now, i feel my Tyres has started to worn out. Though there is still some depth left, i feel the road noise coming from Tyre has increased. Also, on braking in uneven surfaces, i hear the noise more than before. Although, when i brake on smooth roads, there is no sound from the tyres or the brakes. When i went for my last servicing around, 37600 kms they said that the brakes are completely fine.

My car is still on Stock Bridgestone Ecopia Tyres and stock brake pads.

Thus, i'm a bit confused whether the sound is coming from the brakes or the tyres are starting to wear out. Also, why is it that the sound is more apparent when i brake on uneven surfaces and there is no noise when i brake of smooth surfaces. Any advice on this issue will be hugely appreciated. Thank you in advance.

P.S. please feel free to move my post to any other relevant place.
Old 7th July 2021, 06:54   #26
BHPian

Re: Grinding noise from the brakes

My friend's new - March 2021 purchased Mercedes C200 which has <1000 kms on the odo has this groaning, grating/grinding sound when coming to a standstill, and again while starting from a halt. This is especially noticeable when using brakes to hold the car while shifting from D to R and, then back to D at parking speeds.

Our initial assumption was some transmission noise. Some googling diagnoses this as brake noise. The dealership has dismissed it as an absolutely normal phenomenon and replicated the same in a C class and an E class at the showroom. My friend is trying to check with friends and acquaintances who own similar vehicles, for feedback - and push for some solution once the car goes in for it's first service which is due soon.
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 09:22   #27
BHPian

Re: Grinding noise from the brakes

Exact same issue in my 2018 C200, i’m not sure after how many kms in popped up but it’s extremely annoying.

Upon getting it checked at the service centre, the service advisor checked brake pad life remaining which was plenty and assured that this is a common issue, which i can see from this thread.

This issue combined with a not so smooth transmission (another common issue according to google) makes me question the point of buying a german car.

My 5th Generation Honda City is way smoother and comfortable to drive than the C200 and remains by go to choice always

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks