Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2018, 10:51   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car

Hi Everyone,

I recently realized that the boot space in many cars is much smaller than claimed in their brochures. I have two cars: the Jeep Compass (2017) and Skoda Laura (2012).
I think that it may be good if we can all share the actual boot measurements for the benefit of other users with a small hand drawn diagram as such:
So here goes:

Jeep Compass :
Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car-compass.jpg

The way to calculate the boot space is (all values in cm): (Top side of trapezoid + Bottom of Trapezoid)/2 X Length x height / 1000
So the volume of the boot below the parcel shelf is :
((60+79)/2 X 100 x 45) / 1000 = 312.75 Lts
There are two niches of 10L each beside the wheel wells so total is 312+20 = 332 Lts

This is significantly different from the Compass claimed boot space of 440L as it seems they are including the Spare wheel well also in the boot size or they are calculating boot space till headlining which is also not correct.

Skoda Laura:
Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car-laura.jpg

Boot Space below Parcel Shelf:
((86+105)/2 X 100 x 49) / 1000 = 468 Lt
There are two large niches of 20L on each side so total is approx= 508L

(manufacture claimed is 550L - again seems like they have included the Spare wheel well)

I hope that in this thread gradually users will put their own measurements of their cars for the benefit of others so that users can know the actual boot size measurements.

Last edited by Behemoth : 11th June 2018 at 10:52.
Behemoth is online now   (42) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 11:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car

There are no straight lines in a boot - there are curves all around. Eg: where the floor surface meets the boot lid. And there is that curvy wheel well intrusion that can mess up your tape calculations.

Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car-img_3928_800.jpg

With a tape, what you get is rough usable space - not actual boot space.

Last edited by SmartCat : 11th June 2018 at 11:27.
SmartCat is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 11:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
There are no straight lines in a boot - there are curves all around. Eg: where the floor surface meets the boot lid. And there is that curvy wheel well intrusion that can mess up your tape calculations.

Attachment 1770775

With a tape, what you get is rough usable space - not actual boot space.
That's true , and whatever we measure will be +/- 10% due to curvature.
Man I envy the boot space of your BRV with third row down! Could you share the measurements if possible?
Behemoth is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 12:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I hope that in this thread gradually users will put their own measurements of their cars for the benefit of others so that users can know the actual boot size measurements.
While this may be a good exercise theoretically speaking, boot size doesn't tell you everything from a usability perspective.

Wheel arches, angle of the rear seat and the loading lip can significantly affect the carrying capacity of the boot (especially the big check-in bags).
libranof1987 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 14:50   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree. Usability is the key factor. My earlier SX4 had a manufacturer claimed 505 liters of boot space. My current Vento has a manufacturer claimed 454 liters. In spite of the lower official capacity, I can actually fit more in my Vento as compared to what I could with my SX4.

I guess this measurement exercise may be more useful in comparing across different models from the segment rather than comparing with the manufacturer spec itself.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 16:40   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car

Measured the boot of two more cars today: the Renault Captur and the Scross.

The Captur has a decent calculated boot capacity of 360L which confirms my notion that the boot is bigger than the one in my Compass.
Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car-20180616_1628551632x918.jpg

Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car-20180616_1630121632x918.jpg
The Scross has a small boot of only 260L as per actual calculations.
Behemoth is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 16:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

I'm wondering then how the manufacturer calculates the boot space this accurately.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 17:53   #8
BHPian

The hinges of the boot in many sedans also intrude into the boot space, reducing the effective area available for luggage, especially hard items. This can damage or distort the body at the hinge mounts if you slam the boot lid on a full load.
FarPatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 18:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I'm wondering then how the manufacturer calculates the boot space this accurately.
CAD Softwares or any Digital mockup can easily calculate it via age old integration techniques.
adi_gt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 15:29   #10
BHPian

In hatchbacks, estates and utility vehicles the boot space is measured till top of the rear seat or the parcel shelf. In actual, one can store tall luggage items, if need be. Though for safety reasons, visibility from the rear hatch window should not be comprised by stacking luggage till roof.
Old 19th June 2018, 15:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I recently realized that the boot space in many cars is much smaller than claimed in their brochures.
Did you take into account the space in the boot where the spare tyre is stored? That is also part of the boot and needs to be measured. This probably will account for the difference.
Old 19th June 2018, 20:53   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Did you take into account the space in the boot where the spare tyre is stored? That is also part of the boot and needs to be measured. This probably will account for the difference.
Yup that is what I realized and why it is incorrect for companies to report it this way. There is no consistency across companies and in the industry. For example cars like the Ecosport and the TUV300 which have the spare tyre outside have the full usable boot space. Also the Captur which also has its spare below also has full usable boot space.
I started this thread with the hope that actual car owners can share real statistics of the boot dimensions.
Old 21st July 2018, 13:46   #13
BHPian

Ecosport boot space works out to around 307 ltrs by this method of calculation. This is with the rear seats reclined to the max allowable limit. The space available will go up if the seat is set at the minimum recline setting

Last edited by dish : 21st July 2018 at 13:49.
Old 21st July 2018, 14:26   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post
Ecosport boot space works out to around 307 ltrs by this method of calculation. This is with the rear seats reclined to the max allowable limit. The space available will go up if the seat is set at the minimum recline setting
Sounds logical as the claimed boot space is around 350L. With the seats less reclined it would be possible to liberate another 50 L and also there may be some small cubby holes on the sides too. The spare wheel is outside so thankfully that is not included in the boot space area.
It would be great if you could also post the drawing.
Old 21st July 2018, 15:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Various manufacturers use different methods to calculate boot space. This leads to different load carrying abilities as against stated capacity. That is why there is confusion while comparing manufacturer specified boot space.

This link gives more info on this.

Last edited by AMG Power : 21st July 2018 at 16:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks