Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2019, 18:17   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago chokes for want of petrol

I find the case to be the same on the JTP as well. In certain situations in 2nd gear the car jerks (a constant jak-jak-jak) like as if the engine is being lugged and there is a complete loss of power, just like it has been mentioned by previous posters. But the thing is it usually occurs at around 1400-1500 RPM and 12-15 km/h. Now, I would understand this behavior if I was lugging the car from <1000 RPM and 5 km/h in 2nd, which isn't the case. Prod the accelerator a little more and it starts pulling or let go of the throttle and press it again and it's okay. This doesn't occur in the other gears. Could anyone shed some light or offer their opinion please?

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 14th November 2019 at 18:22.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 14:30   #32
BHPian

Lots of people have confirmed that when the car starts from cold there is some hesitation in acceleration in 2nd gear. If you shift up to 3rd the car behaves normally. There is some problem in 2nd gear with fuel supply. Could be done transition point in the fuel mapping with acceleration.
ashokabs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 12:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
If you shift up to 3rd the car behaves normally.
Yes, you're absoultely spot on. In fact it kind of surges a little.

Is there any way this can be ironed out(remap)?

I'm surprised to see this is across the board including also to the JTP. Is this the case with the Nexon too since it basically shares the engine with the JTP twins?

Are the folks coding the maps sleeping or what!?

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 18th November 2019 at 12:50.
Old 18th November 2019, 12:57   #34
BHPian

I think there is some problem which Tata Motors cannot overcome otherwise they would have taken action by now. I have learnt to live with the sputtering in 2nd gear after a cold start. I make sure that soon after shifting to 2nd gear I accelerate a little bit and change upto third gear.

One of the problems with the Tiago petrol engine is that the gearing is terrible for daily driving as it focuses only on fuel efficiency.

On the other hand I think the person who originally complained about fuel stoppage in 2nd gear and the car abruptly slowing down has a more serious problem which is not generic in nature. It is a specific problem with his car and it is surprising that Tata Motors has not been able to sort it out even after over a year.
Old 19th November 2019, 14:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
I think there is some problem which Tata Motors cannot overcome otherwise they would have taken action by now. I have learnt to live with the sputtering in 2nd gear after a cold start. I make sure that soon after shifting to 2nd gear I accelerate a little bit and change upto third gear.

One of the problems with the Tiago petrol engine is that the gearing is terrible for daily driving as it focuses only on fuel efficiency.

On the other hand I think the person who originally complained about fuel stoppage in 2nd gear and the car abruptly slowing down has a more serious problem which is not generic in nature. It is a specific problem with his car and it is surprising that Tata Motors has not been able to sort it out even after over a year.
Today I drove Tiago NRG mostly in 2nd gear in heavy Bangalore traffic after a cold start with 5 big people, loading it to possible limit. I had a close eye on the issue being discussed here regarding 2nd gear. I did not see anything wrong with the drive. Rather the engine was willing to pull in 2nd gear and no choking or starving effect was observed. My car is barely 6 months old now with 4000 KM on ODO.
Is this issue primarily seen in cars that have run for a while? Could that be fuel quality?
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 18:23   #36
BHPian

Although the thread is 4+ years old, I owe this back to the forum/fellow readers.

Just to give you an update on this issue, I started living with this issue and every time the issue re-surfaced, the only way out is to clean the spark plug and put it back. I've driven the car for close to 38000 km by now, and have been sent to garages numerous times. But the issue kept coming back once in a while. Just after the 5 years warranty got over. The engine misfired and my wife had a hard time bringing it back home.

The car was sent to Prerana Motors, Kudlu Gate, Bangalore. After a week, I was informed that it was a major fault in the engine and that it would cost around 90K to rebore the engine to fix the issue. I asked for all the details in a printout and asked them if Tata Cars can only do 38k. They asked me to wait for another week, I gave them clarity and also brought to their attention the problem that I have been facing since I bought the car.
After numerous escalations and close to 10 days; I got a quote to replace two spare parts (one not related to this issue) which would cost me around 8k, but they mentioned in case if this issue resurfaces again, and you may have to work on the engine and no other option to resolve the issue.

Herewith attached is the report of when the issue occurred.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf f7b27e1fb9f0d5bf1dd07fd04e9c3549.pdf (77.5 KB, 738 views)
Sai Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 22:10   #37

Hi fellow BHPians,

I own a 2017 Tata Tiago XZ (Petrol) and am facing the below issues -

1) Fuel Pump - On long drives, the fuel cuts off and the car jerks before coming to a halt. This happened several times over the past 2 years and the Tata Service center is unwilling to fix it. I called it several times that there are several posts and videos online explaining the issue, symptoms and fix but the Tata service center folks in both Pune and Hyderabad are feigning ignorance and are unwilling to fix it. Can you please guide to me to any service center or FNG in Hyderabad who can help me resolve this issue?

2) AC Blower - When the AC blower level is changed from 1 to 2 or from 2 to 3 there is a howling/vibrating like sound that engulfs the cabin and we immediately lower the blower to a lower setting. This is intermittent and cannot be replicated every time. Additionally, we also notice this sound regularly when we take a left turn (No sound in right turns). This is a very strange issue and the Tata motors service center is suggesting to replace the entire blower system for 12K which seems to be too steep for a blower. Has anyone faced this issue? Any guidance?
Old 15th June 2024, 08:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveAddictMC View Post
1) Fuel Pump - On long drives, the fuel cuts off and the car jerks before coming to a halt. This happened several times over the past 2 years and the Tata Service center is unwilling to fix it. I called it several times that there are several posts and videos online explaining the issue, symptoms and fix but the Tata service center folks in both Pune and Hyderabad are feigning ignorance and are unwilling to fix it. Can you please guide to me to any service center or FNG in Hyderabad who can help me resolve this issue?
I have not seen this issue in my 2019 Tiago but was wondering why the SA team at TATA service centers do not want to fix this. After reading through this thread I had enquired about this issue in my usual service center but the staff pretended as if they are hearing it for first time. There are multiple cases in my knowledge of similar nature but unable to understand the unwillingness to fix. And it should be fixed for free under warranty (fuel pump price was some 12K then)
FNG is a good idea but are those parts available outside?
Old 15th June 2024, 09:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai Narayan View Post
Update : Visited the Service center yesterday. Service Center folks took for a test drive, I told them clearly I drove 20+kms to here after a brief shower in Chennai. But I did not have any issues by then and the issue is intermittent. I asked them what they have done after a couple of hrs. They said they have cleaned up the Air Filter and also did some clutch ply lubrication. I asked them about fuel pump, but the service engineer courteously downplayed it. I told him, if this issue is gonna repeat, I will come back on them heavily. But he did say, you are not able to showcase during a test drive.

Thanks so much friends for all your insight.
This is a known issue in my manual tigor also ( sold it off as couldn't stand the gutless engine). This is especially pronounced when the engine is cold and ac on. If you shift from first time second without accelerating enough, the engine stutters and mild pops and bangs can be heard. The only way is to dump the clutch and shift it back to first and gained nough speed and shift to second. This is particularly wexing in bumper to bumper traffic. Seems like a low speed ecu fuelling issue which no amount of service center jugaad can solve. It has to be done by tata motors at the factory itself. Sometimes the engine switches off also in cold conditions when you are coming to a roundabout and switch from third to second ( again when engine is not fully warmed up).

Luckily for me, I only kept the car for a year or so and sold it off. Got the tigor ev which although a different kettle of fish, doesn't have the tata motors engine shenanigans.

Most Viewed