Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2017, 23:16   #1
bkc
BHPian

Explained: The Diesel Injector Cleaning Process

My DD (Daily Drive) Swift diesel, was about to complete the 50000 KM mark and was preparing myself for the service. The car was running rough in low rpms and the noise was irritating. I was on a look out for reasonable injector cleaning service and found one on justdial, called up 'Hema diesels' . The person picked up the phone and I quickly placed my request for my car injector cleaning. He quoted Rs 3000/- for all four (750 a piece), I agreed and fixed an appointment to get the same cleaned. He also said that, the injector needs to be removed and brought to them.
You could refer this below thread for some steps.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-my-swift.html

I quickly made arrangements with my trusted FNG and got the injectors removed. It was tough to remove, the trick is remove all injector wires, rail wire and try removing by rotating the injector with a screw driver. For adamant injectors, without connecting any wires, put the clamp back in a loose manner and crank the engine for 2-3 times. It should pop up, the clamp is put back in loose manner to ensure that, the injector won't fly off with the compression pressure.

Packed the injector with cloth, made sure the tip is secure, carried and handed over to them for cleaning. Took permission from them to shoot some videos and pictures to show others.

The process took some 3 hrs, found, two of the injectors were clogged badly, one was cleaned and rectified, the other had to be replaced with a new nozzle. Another update is, new bosch injector costs 9500/piece with them.

Usually, injector has few critical parts, two among them are nozzle and valve. Nozzle replacement for one injector costed me Rs 2500 and valve, if replaced should cost Rs 4000. If you happen to have bad nozzle and valve, better to replace the injector itself.

Note: Injector sequence/order is important, so, install it in the same slot from where it was removed. Replaced injector or jumbled injector needs to be set in the ECU, before use. Same order is important, for the metal pipes connecting to the injector.

Refer the image below for highlighted reds.
Explained: The Diesel Injector Cleaning Process-injector.jpg

Now, lets know the injector cleaning process.

This is the machine, which checks the injector delivery and return quantity.
Explained: The Diesel Injector Cleaning Process-machine.jpg

Step 1: They check the injector for any faults using the machine and analyse its delivery and return quantities.

Step 2: They do the Preliminary wash with diesel.

Step 3: Buffing the injector with Buffing machine.

Step 4: Clean the injectors with compressed air.

Step 5: Dismantle the injectors.

Step 6: Actual Cleaning of injector parts with diesel and compressed air.

Step 7: Few parts like nozzle and valves are cleaned in the Ultrasonic cleaner for 9 minutes.

Step 8: After the cleaning, the injectors are assembled and the Step 1 is repeated with the machine to check for any faults. If the injector is still abnormal, they re-clean, if the problem still persists, they replace nozzle / valve and check until the output is satisfactory.

Step 9: Pack the injectors with plastic caps for nozzle, fuel input and deliver.

Some more extra information:

The injector holes in the nozzle may differ for different model of injectors. They showed me the below injector with many holes using a manual pump.

Swift diesel injector pattern is shown below:

After the ultrasonic cleaning, the parts appear as if they have been done with a new chrome plating.

Hope the above thread gives some valuable information.

Mods, Please move this thread to appropriate location.
bkc is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 11:04   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Explained: The Diesel Injector Cleaning Process

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Technical Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 11:49   #3
BHPian

A very informative post.
My maternal grandfather deals in kirlosker Diesel Gensets and they use a device very similar to the manual pump shown by you to clean the nozzle.
What is the effect on performance/driveability after doing this?
regards
Old 9th December 2017, 12:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the details. This is the actual method to service the injectors. Maruti service centres also remove the injectors and send them outside for service. I am planning to do the same in my SX4 diesel which has run around 1.2 lakhs km
Dr.Naren is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 12:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
I quickly made arrangements with my trusted FNG and got the injectors removed. It was tough to remove, the trick is remove all injector wires, rail wire and try removing by rotating the injector with a screw driver. For adamant injectors, without connecting any wires, put the clamp back in a loose manner and crank the engine for 2-3 times. It should pop up, the clamp is put back in loose manner to ensure that, the injector won't fly off with the compression pressure.
Injector removal in MJD engines is surely a tricky task, and if its done wrongly, can also spoil an engine.

I have seen my MASS using special tools to remove the injectors. The kit was labelled as MGP, and IIRC its price was in 5 digit figure.

Explained: The Diesel Injector Cleaning Process-20150805_105747.jpg

Explained: The Diesel Injector Cleaning Process-20150805_110655.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 21:58   #6
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risham View Post
A very informative post.

What is the effect on performance/driveability after doing this?
regards
Risham, The vehicle Revs smooth and the rough idle has disappeared but, I am still facing some kind of shiver during turbo zone 1500-2000rpm, this is there right from the beginning and couldn't be solved by MASS or anyone. I Cannot find the root cause for it, experts can shed light on it. Now, I atleast know it is not the injectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Excellent thread.

I have seen my MASS using special tools to remove the injectors. The kit was labelled as MGP, and IIRC its price was in 5 digit figure.
Thanks bro, but the MASS near my place had earlier done this, when I complained of shake issue, they opened injectors with ring spanner and cranked the engine. They just opened injectors, put emery on the injectors and refit.

My car is all good and enjoyable except for the Shake at 1500-2000rpm . Injector cleaning has made the engine feel as good as new.

Last edited by bkc : 9th December 2017 at 22:00. Reason: grammar change
bkc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 14:12   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If you are still facing vibration then the only other thing i can think of is replacing the fuel filter which may be due for replacement anyway
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 14:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Very informative write up. Though I am not sure of whether this is the standard process across the globe for such injectors, these guys do have a detailed procedure, compared to some dealers charging money for some additive or by running the engine with the injectors hooked to a bench. In your case 50k kms might have been too early for such a detailed job, but when this is necessary, such a detailed job might be the best solution.

I had seen a similar case on Youtube by a mechanic Arundev, but he had not explained the steps in elaborate. However in your post I could understand what exactly was done. Just one question, did you also remove the high pressure pump and take it there or they had their own? Since I see that the HP Pump is driven by their machine but did not understand if you had taken that too.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 19:28   #9
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
If you are still facing vibration then the only other thing i can think of is replacing the fuel filter which may be due for replacement anyway
This problem exists since the beginning and it shouldn't be the fuel filter. The shake is not of high speed reciprocation, hence, I guess it is some other moving part which is associated with engine, may be belt pulley, some other other thing.
Not drive shaft, as I can recreate the shake at stand still also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In your case 50k kms might have been too early for such a detailed job, but when this is necessary, such a detailed job might be the best solution.
Just one question, did you also remove the high pressure pump and take it there or they had their own? Since I see that the HP Pump is driven by their machine but did not understand if you had taken that too.
Thank you. Yes, the odo is too early for injector cleaning but, I did it for solving the rough idle of the engine and it did work. I also fear the expensive repair, if the injector fails in the running engine.
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 13:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
This problem exists since the beginning and it shouldn't be the fuel filter. The shake is not of high speed reciprocation, hence, I guess it is some other moving part which is associated with engine, may be belt pulley, some other other thing.
Not drive shaft, as I can recreate the shake at stand still also.
Have you checked clutch?? Many team bhp member including me complained about the vibration at 1500-2000 rpm ( turbo spooling) and it went away with after changing clutch. There is a separate thread running on that issue .

Edit : here is the link

Last edited by arjithin : 11th December 2017 at 13:26.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 13:43   #11
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Have you checked clutch??
Edit : here is the link
+1 to that. Nice thread. My clutch was replaced under warranty around 9000kms on odo, it included flywheel, release bearing and clutch plate.

Moreover, I can create the same shake in neutral gear, at stand still. It isn't anything related to clutch imo, something related to other part.
Old 12th December 2017, 18:46   #12
BHPian

Please check gearbox mounts and engine mounts. The excessive vibration/shake can be because of worn out mounts.

Last edited by GTO : 13th December 2017 at 00:40. Reason: Strictly no SMS language on Team-BHP please
Abhishek_Garg is online now   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th December 2017, 17:59   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Did anybody try 3M Diesel Fuel System Cleaner? I read about this in their website few months back. I have not seen any reviews till date.

Quote:
Reclaim you mileage milestones in just 30 minutes

You've probably been told several times that problems such as excessive smoke, increased fuel consumption, and reduced performance are signs of faulty or worn out engine parts. What's more, the time and cost associated with replacing these supposedly worn out parts are high and more often than not, unreasonable.

The truth, however, is that each of these problems could be the result of nothing more than contamination in your engine's fuel system.

This affordable solution employs a simple yet unique delivery mechanism that allows for treatment within just about 30 mins and without even opening the engine.
http://carcarestores.3mindia.co.in/O...System-Cleaner

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 17th December 2017 at 18:02.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 23:32   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I had been to one 3M store today. They did not have the new Diesel fuel system cleaner service. The owner told me that only few stores have them (available in Bangalore). The cost is around Rs. 3800. Most of the stores don't have them because of the huge cost of the equipment. I am being told it's around 6 lakhs
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 12:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I had been to one 3M store today. They did not have the new Diesel fuel system cleaner service. Most of the stores don't have them because of the huge cost of the equipment. I am being told it's around 6 lakhs
You can talk to the 3M store on 80Ft road- Vinay @9886023040

Most Viewed