Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 15:40   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
Rust as you mentioned is like cancer.

Suggest what some have indicated. DISPOSE IT.
Under consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Next alternative is for them to give you a whole new body shell and doors, straight from the factory. Is it such a big deal for company like M&M.
Seems like even repainting is a very big deal.
Did you say getting a new body & doors? I guess this would be more difficult for the brand, going to the moon and back for me seems more achievable.
Old 28th November 2017, 18:30   #62
Senior - BHPian

I had rusting issues on the doors of My Figo and on escalation to Ford, all doors were replaced on goodwill warranty !! The dealer & Ford were of the opinion that rusting cannot be solved by re-painting and replacing the metal is the best option.

Looking at your car, it looks like the whole shell will need to be changed to get rid of the all the rust. The other option (less reliable) will be to strip it down completely and make sure the complete body is scrubbed to remove the rust and then repainted with probably a double primer coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
That request has been denied!
Before, and even 30 minutes back when I handed the vehicle.

They say this much work, a complete strip down and the likes is not feasible.
It was the reverse in my case. After seeing the rust on my doors, the dealer wanted to strip down the whole car and check other areas too but I refused, since I was sure they will not be able to assemble everything properly again (Besides I was sure the rust was limited to the doors due to a sponge like packing material used that was retaining water).
Old 28th November 2017, 18:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I had rusting issues on the doors of My Figo and on escalation to Ford, all doors were replaced on goodwill warranty !! The dealer & Ford were of the opinion that rusting cannot be solved by re-painting and replacing the metal is the best option.

Looking at your car, it looks like the whole shell will need to be changed to get rid of the all the rust. The other option (less reliable) will be to strip it down completely and make sure the complete body is scrubbed to remove the rust and then repainted with probably a double primer coat.

It was the reverse in my case. After seeing the rust on my doors, the dealer wanted to strip down the whole car and check other areas too but I refused, since I was sure they will not be able to assemble everything properly again (Besides I was sure the rust was limited to the doors due to a sponge like packing material used that was retaining water).
One of those fairytale stories where the dealer + brand is willing to resolve problems 100%
Old 30th November 2017, 03:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

So I have finally decided to part ways with the car.

The final solution offered was a full paint scraping process with a new overcoat along with anti-rust treatment. However, the car will be stripped down to 0, all parts removed including the dashboard trim.

I am not OK with that.

This is a less than 2 year old car, and stripping it (even though there isn't much) & getting it back up in original shape is too tedious a process. Also, I do not trust that all parts will sit flush as they did on the assembly line (which wasn't perfect in the first place).

So:
A decision made from the heart
Lesson learnt
Lost quite a big sum of money
Moving on...
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 09:09   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I do not trust that all parts will sit flush as they did on the assembly line.
To be honest, there is very little that sits flush on the Thar so I doubt if anything will go wrong even if they strip and reassemble completely.

I hope you are not spending any money in this whole process.

Moving on is indeed the best thing to do. These rust problems are not going to go away if the steel itself is of such poor quality.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 11:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a less than 2 year old car, and stripping it (even though there isn't much) & getting it back up in original shape is too tedious a process. Also, I do not trust that all parts will sit flush as they did on the assembly line (which wasn't perfect in the first place).....
Since you have already made up your mind to sell the Thar, why don't you go ahead, get it fully repainted and be transparent with the new buyer. I'm sure you will get a better deal than you are getting now.

Additionally, with the Thar, the dealership might put back everything better that the factory !
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 12:18   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
To be honest, there is very little that sits flush on the Thar so I doubt if anything will go wrong even if they strip and reassemble completely.

I hope you are not spending any money in this whole process.

Moving on is indeed the best thing to do. These rust problems are not going to go away if the steel itself is of such poor quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Since you have already made up your mind to sell the Thar, why don't you go ahead, get it fully repainted and be transparent with the new buyer. I'm sure you will get a better deal than you are getting now.

Additionally, with the Thar, the dealership might put back everything better that the factory !

It's just not worth the time! All of it!
Rust spots are visible, so the buyer will make an informed choice anyway.
Old 13th December 2017, 02:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so I thank everyone for the feedback shared on this thread.

Putting things into place, I have replaced my RUSTING Mahindra Thar with a brand new Honda Jazz. This time, I made a decision using my head, and not heart.

The deal went as follows:
  1. Went to a Honda dealership
  2. Requested exchange
  3. Honda will take the Thar, clear the pending loan, submit the balance amount as my EMI
  4. Got an amazing deal on the new Jazz i-Dtec V variant in Modern Silver Metallic shade (almost 87k discount)
  5. Had to pay less than 50K overall, and this includes accessories such as mud flaps, floor mats & rear spoiler
  6. Checked the VIN, it's an August 2017 manufacturing

Final nail in the coffin was when Mahindra offered me a full repaint. Now, during spot painting itself, the brand managed to break my front windscreen. Also, I didn't trust the workmanship at Mahindra dealerships to be potent enough to completely strip down the Thar, scrape it well, perform a perfect anti-rust treatment, and then fit everything back in place. Also, it would take easily almost a month to do this. Remember that they took 2 weeks to just spot paint earlier.

Never mind then, I did love my Thar, and do miss it. But then, there was no point holding on to it. On the brighter side, my folks and I can now travel in one car!

Very impressed with the way the Jazz has been running, just 4 days up, and nothing more that I would need. With constant 20+ kmpl, who can ask for more?
Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar-img_20171212_232900_bokeh.jpg
Shot on a OnePlus 5T (Night Mode /Portrait Lens)

Last edited by parrys : 13th December 2017 at 02:32.
parrys is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 05:05   #69
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car, good sir.
I really hope that the Honda Jazz doesn’t make you regret your head over heart decision that the Mahindra Thar forced you to take.

However, I have a question for all the members viewing this thread.

I’ll be in the market to buy a car in the 3rd quarter of 2018, and my initial plan was to buy a Mahindra Thar, as it ticked all my needs & also because I have a soft corner for jeeps.
After going through all the niggles & issues that Thar owners are facing & going through on a daily basis, I’m beginning to feel like it’ll be a bad decision to make a heart over head decision, and that I should settle for something more practical and niggle free.
I would be more than grateful if the community could help me out here, as it’ll be my first car, and I would like to drive it more often, with my peace of mind intact, than see it standing in A.S.C, being fixed for something that isn’t mine, but the manufacturers fault.

Last edited by AShubrah : 13th December 2017 at 05:25.
Old 13th December 2017, 12:06   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Congratulations on your new car, good sir.
I really hope that the Honda Jazz doesn’t make you regret your head over heart decision that the Mahindra Thar forced you to take.

However, I have a question for all the members viewing this thread.

I’ll be in the market to buy a car in the 3rd quarter of 2018, and my initial plan was to buy a Mahindra Thar, as it ticked all my needs & also because I have a soft corner for jeeps.
After going through all the niggles & issues that Thar owners are facing & going through on a daily basis, I’m beginning to feel like it’ll be a bad decision to make a heart over head decision, and that I should settle for something more practical and niggle free.
I would be more than grateful if the community could help me out here, as it’ll be my first car, and I would like to drive it more often, with my peace of mind intact, than see it standing in A.S.C, being fixed for something that isn’t mine, but the manufacturers fault.
One very important point to note - the Mahindra Thar cannot be your primary vehicle. It's just not good enough. So unless you have another vehicle in which you can ferry your family and friends, this is not the only set of wheels you should own.

There are plenty of niggles, and something keeps coming up. But trust me, the pleasure of owning one & driving one is unmatched. But again, not to have it as your primary car.

And considering that the price of a new Thar is now over INR 10 lakh OTR, I suggest you look for pre-owned. Saves money, and in case you get bored, saves a lot of heartache that depreciation migh cause.
parrys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 01:57   #71
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car! I'm sure you will have a trouble free experience with the Jazz.

Shame on Mahindra for delivering a defective product to you and then not even trying to make things right to your full satisfaction

In the end, I honestly think you made the right decision by getting rid of the thar.

Best of luck with the new car!
Paradiddle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 00:54   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
Congratulations on the new car! I'm sure you will have a trouble free experience with the Jazz.

Shame on Mahindra for delivering a defective product to you and then not even trying to make things right to your full satisfaction

In the end, I honestly think you made the right decision by getting rid of the thar.

Best of luck with the new car!
Pretty satisfied for now.
One month up, over 3.5k km on the odo, constant FE of 20+ kmpl. Nothing to complain.

The problem with the Thar is that the company isn't going to rectify things on a product which will soon have to be thrown off the shelf given the strict crash test & emission norms coming up. So yeah, those who want a Thar should be ready to live with substandard quality for a million rupees, or just own it till your patience allows.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 19:59   #73
BHPian

Hi,,

Just gone through entire thread and I am feeling really sorry for you that you had to let go your ' By the Heart' decision due to other's incompetency.

I am also from Thane and owns a Mahindra Bolero which shares equal quality metal as Thar. I have also seen few rust spots here and there and can totally agree with you.

However, i used to service it at Global Gallery (Earlier Salasar) and twice I got it services at NBS Mahindra (At Rey Road) and found that NBS had somewhat competent mechanics and good body shop facility. I had repainted driver side and rear door and found the finishing to be really better than factory.

I know its too late to reply above, however wnated to ask you if Salasar motors (At Kolshet) is good for atleast regular service? Like oil change etc? or is it totally a bunch of scammers?

TIA
offroad_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 03:19   #74
BHPian

Precisely. Check our forum, all the MM550 rebuild stories disappeared after the Thar landed, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Mahindra knows all too well that lots of people want a nice looking jeep but don't want or don't care to go through the headache of building one themselves cause it takes time and effort.

Jeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 13:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post

I know its too late to reply above, however wnated to ask you if Salasar motors (At Kolshet) is good for atleast regular service? Like oil change etc? or is it totally a bunch of scammers?

TIA
General service is pretty decent. However I used to take prior appointment, and also, stay at the workshop till my car is serviced monitoring what's done. So no bad experience on this part.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks