Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2017, 08:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar

I always advise people to buy a second hand Thar preferably the one with the company fitted AC. Lot of second hand ones lying around at good rates as owners become frustrated with its endless niggles and non practicality.
The authorized service centers are horribly incompetent when it comes to the Thar.

Buy the Thar only if you 1} Are a good DIY mechanic 2}Know a good mechanic 3}Member of Team-bhp 4} Have read through the entire Thar review,issues and solutions threads

For everything else get the Duster AWD or the Izuzu.
tomraven99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 10:55   #32
BHPian

@Parry, its a pathetic experience with Mahindra after sales and its dealers. I recently sent mine for 1st service with a list of complaints to India Garage Poonamalle, Chennai. Other than the oil change nothing else was addressed. Said wiper blades are out of stock, i asked to perform 5 wheel tire rotation which they said they have done it, but the wire strap on the wheel cups have not been touched, asked to fix soft top mount rattle, the sound was arrested but started again before i got home. With the 50+ year old jugaad attitude with dealers, customer cannot expect anything more from them. AND they have hammered nail and rivets in the soft top support frame rod at the rear end near the tail lamp.

If you notice, the base body will not rust so easy, only the windshield frame and doors will catch rust soon. my suggestion is once you get this repaired, take it to a 3M outlet and do a good rust free coating all around and inside the doors, should extend the life a bit.

Coming to my story, fortunate to be born in the family of mechanics I've learnt a bit to maintain cars. I've smeared transparent silicon sealant in the known rust zones. I do not know how to post photos in this forum, so apologize for that.

To tell you why i bought a Thar,
1) This is the only CRDE vehicle with least wiring and electronics, so no fuss.
2) The only troubling things are soft top(safety), leaf spring(spine breaker) & Rust. Everything is trouble free and extremely durable and can take any terrain and weather.

We've had few modern day cars in the family, I had a 2012 Figo diesel (Sold last year), wife has 2011 I10 AT and we have 3 Ecosport diesels (2013 & 14) in the close relative circle. The biggest problem with Ford is the engine. My figo engine failed at 48000Kms and all the 3 Eco's engine failed in less than 60K. Wife's I10 is functionally good but it goes like a dolphin on highways and rusts like mad.

So find a good mechanic out side for vehicle maintenance. Good luck.

Disclaimer: I am no way related to Mahindra other than the ownership of this Thar I have. Wanted to share this since my past post on an Ecosport was deleted with penalty assuming i'm related to Ford.
Living2Drive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 11:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

First, to update everyone following this thread - the Mahindra body shop guys had the courtesy to only SMS me today morning. Why? They broke my front windscreen while fitting the frame. Great! Now we all know about parts availability of the Thar. I was supposed to get my car back by 1-2 pm today. Now I don't know when will I get by Thar back, for which, I think I am the owner, but the dealer will manage to keep it with him for as long as he wishes probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
If you are a automobile journalist, you have the ability to flag things like this to Mahindra. I wonder what Mr. Mahindra will have to say if you tweet him about this.
Have done that, quite a few times. The said person on twitter, apparently active, has not replied, or connected anyone, and neither has the work escalated or being performed better in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
I always advise people to buy a second hand Thar preferably the one with the company fitted AC. Lot of second hand ones lying around at good rates as owners become frustrated with its endless niggles and non practicality.
The authorized service centers are horribly incompetent when it comes to the Thar.

Buy the Thar only if you 1} Are a good DIY mechanic 2}Know a good mechanic 3}Member of Team-bhp 4} Have read through the entire Thar review,issues and solutions threads

For everything else get the Duster AWD or the Izuzu.
I always advise people not to buy one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living2Drive View Post
my suggestion is once you get this repaired, take it to a 3M outlet and do a good rust free coating all around and inside the doors, should extend the life a bit.
Have to check if the nearest 3M outlet offers this service.

Last edited by bblost : 16th November 2017 at 13:40. Reason: as requested
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 14:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

So I got the Thar back,

They replaced the front windscreen, but it doesn't seem like one built for the new Thar. No RFID tags on it, also, it just doesn't feel like a Thar part.

I am going to ask the body shop to show me in invoice which mentions the part number clearly, and that it is meant for this particular variant.

The paint around the windscreen frame is still inconsistent.

The body shop guys stuck the Mahindra emblem on the frame, and with such accuracy, that some alphabets were covered by the rubber beading of the windscreen. Asked them to take off the emblem. No pride in keeping it anyway with such substandard service.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 02:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

As I had updated before, I took delivery of my Thar from the body shop on 16th November, primarily because I needed my car for errands.

But, even after being at the body shop for nearly two weeks, the work performed was inacceptable and inconsistent in many places.

Today, again, I had to leave my car at the body shop, and get a few parts painted & polished again. Which should have been done ideally with 100% accuracy at the time I got DELAYED delivery of my vehicle.

You can see the paint spray on the panel adjacent to the door. Clearly, it wasn't masked at all while painting.
Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar-doorside.jpeg

Inside the paint booth, don't know if such spot paint will be matched well.
Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar-paintbooth.jpeg

The water gutter line next to the windscreen had shown signs of rust, but seems like the previous time it was just covered up rather than scraping the rust off and then painting it
Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar-watergutter.jpeg

The primary culprit of this whole situation, the windscreen still had paint inconsistencies all around. Now this was the only part replaced, and painted as a whole, still this is the case. Speaks volumes about the process being followed.
Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar-windscreen.jpeg
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 07:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 30-year old Gypsy offers a more precise build.
I have no experience of Thar/Mahindra, but with my then new Gypsy bought for life in 2009, I agree with the quote. It rattles and squeaks, but no more today than it did in 2009. And not a spot of rust; granted that Pune isn't a humid place.

The other great thing is that a down the road MASS can service it with ease, with all parts available. Even a rare front seat reclining mechanism when it had to be replaced, was available in a week from Gurgaon. And bullet proof reliability, so usually there is little for MASS to do except check/change fluids and tighten all nuts/bolts.

The only thing it shares with the That is that it is just as unsafe, but driven with that in mind, is actually quite safe.
Sawyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 15:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

More rusting spotted, I'm not even surprised or annoyed anymore.

The customer care executive, Mr. Swapnil tells me that this job is additional.
I don't understand one thing, why don't these guys consider inspecting the vehicle finely for all rusting issues, when that is the primary problem.

Or is it the customers job to keep looking all around, all the time.

Now seems like I will have to send my vehicle back for painting.

Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar-img_4384.jpg

Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar-img_4385.jpg
Old 22nd November 2017, 22:10   #38

There you go!
This problem is just not with That but also with Scorpio. I bought mine in Dec 2015 and had severe rusting issues. I went to the service station in Chennai and asked for the reason; they were not able to justify the problem.
I took it to twitter - believe me, I got a reply within 5 mins from the team who controls Anand Mahindra's Twitter account. I was told to bring my car to the nearest service station and was told that they would replace 3 doors (one being the rear door) and do a repaint for rest of the doors.
They quoted close to 80k for the work and I wasn't charged a single penny. However, even after doing all these, I still see rust all over my Scorpio and I am really worried if it was worth the money to buy one.
Mahindra's quality is unfortunately sickening bad and I am helpless at this point in time. So expect RUST. If it doesn't happen you are a lucky owner!

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd November 2017 at 22:20. Reason: Post fixed. Please take the time to type your posts out for better readability. Thanks!
vprajagopal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 23:07   #39
BHPian

Wow. This is 2017, and you seem to be stuck with a 1980s relic at 21st century (premium) prices. Quite a nice business model at the customers' expense. I was in the market for a Thar as my primary adventure vehicle, and chose the Isuzu mainly because I would prefer to survive an accident (my wife helped me wisen up). No airbags, no ABS, sloppy brakes, loose electricals and fittings, unsafe seating for the kids - I could go on, but this is a well travelled road - the Thar or in fact any Mahindra car just didn't make sense to me. The Isuzu was in the right place at the right time. Their network is weak, but what use is Mahindra's widespread dealership base when service is not provided anyway?!

Really sad to hear of your frustration, and my sympathies. We don't invest so much love into our cars to have this kind of experience at the end of it all. Shame on any manufacturer who treats their customers like this. We only get what we accept in life, and I'm glad you are not letting this issue die down. Potential owners need to hear about the pain, as a people we tend to glorify our choices but no amount of 'heritage' and 'lifestyle' should allow a shoddy product to get away scot free.

Cheers to the good fight!
VivOverland is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 00:34   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
[b][u]First, to update everyone following this thread - the Mahindra body shop guys had the courtesy to only SMS me today morning. Why? They broke my front windscreen while fitting the frame. Great!
What a coincidence, they did the same with my Thar and did not even mention it. I did not notice it as well as I got delivery late in the evening. Next day I was not able to enter office as the parking sticker was gone and I realised what had happened. I understand that windscreen can get broken, not a big deal, but at least they should have the courtesy to inform the customer! The RFID is now gone and I don't know if that will be a problem or not in future.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:43   #41
BHPian

Wow!! Double Wow!!!!

@parrys

First please accept my sympathies.

I have a Scorpio S10 AT from Sep 2016.
I am in the process of writing my review ... Sorry it is taking months.

Let me just raise some relevant points only.

First - even I felt that the service is taking way too much time.
Second - the vehicle is never really 'bug-free'.

However, touch wood - after about 14 months and 18000+ km it is still rust free.

My car has been scratched just above the two from wheels, and a bit above the right rear wheel. I got it fixed in Pune. The quality of work done was exemplary! And the cost seemed reasonable too.

An acquaintance of mine has bought a Thar just a month or so after me. Let me check with him too.

Maybe, I am lucky and I hope the luck holds.

Another point: I had occasion to visit G3 in Mumbai. They were flooded with work. I was told that 6~7 dealerships/service centers had closed down in and around Mumbai - causing this overload in G3. Hence, I took my car to Pune. Since you are in Thane - you can even consider a visit to Pune to see if that is any better!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprajagopal View Post
There you go!
This problem is just not with That but also with Scorpio. I bought mine in Dec 2015 and had severe rusting issues. I went to the service station in Chennai and asked for the reason; they were not able to justify the problem.
In my case, all the body shop workforce says the Thar rusts, and there is nothing to do but keep getting it scraped & painted time and again.
There are many customers who know this, and accept it by claiming that it is good at what it is supposed to do.
What I don't understand is that if the car remains structurally unfit after rusting from so many areas, how does it matter if it can off-road with ease or not. Just a lame excuse to cover up.

Mahindra is not doing anything good enough to justify their shoddy paint & anti-rust processes. And even after escalating the issue on direct e-mails to Mahindra officials, not a single call. And the situation remains as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivOverland View Post
Shame on any manufacturer who treats their customers like this. We only get what we accept in life, and I'm glad you are not letting this issue die down. Potential owners need to hear about the pain, as a people we tend to glorify our choices but no amount of 'heritage' and 'lifestyle' should allow a shoddy product to get away scot free.

Cheers to the good fight!
Heard a lot about other Mahindra cars rusting as well. But both owners & Mahindra officials accepting that the Thar rusts in a way that it is some kind of a privilege feature is just a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
What a coincidence, they did the same with my Thar and did not even mention it. I did not notice it as well as I got delivery late in the evening. Next day I was not able to enter office as the parking sticker was gone and I realised what had happened. I understand that windscreen can get broken, not a big deal, but at least they should have the courtesy to inform the customer! The RFID is now gone and I don't know if that will be a problem or not in future.
I noticed it the minute I saw it. Not only did my toll & RFID stickers were not to be seen. The windscreen now screams 'Auto Shield'.
Doesn't feel like OEM to me.
If it was, the previous windscreen would also have had this mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post

First - even I felt that the service is taking way too much time.
Second - the vehicle is never really 'bug-free'.

However, touch wood - after about 14 months and 18000+ km it is still rust free.

My car has been scratched just above the two from wheels, and a bit above the right rear wheel. I got it fixed in Pune. The quality of work done was exemplary! And the cost seemed reasonable too.

An acquaintance of mine has bought a Thar just a month or so after me. Let me check with him too.

Maybe, I am lucky and I hope the luck holds.

Another point: I had occasion to visit G3 in Mumbai. They were flooded with work. I was told that 6~7 dealerships/service centers had closed down in and around Mumbai - causing this overload in G3. Hence, I took my car to Pune. Since you are in Thane - you can even consider a visit to Pune to see if that is any better!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
You just seem to be very lucky with your vehicles, especially with the Mahindra.
Hope that it remains that way.
One advise, if there is no rust yet, stop washing your car every day. Just ask it to be cleaned with a wet cloth rather than soaking it in water. Should help the cause.

On another note, I have been closely reading your Jazz ownership.
Hope you're getting the hint.
Old 23rd November 2017, 13:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my case, all the body shop workforce says the Thar rusts, and there is nothing to do but keep getting it scraped & painted time and again.
There are many customers who know this, and accept it by claiming that it is good at what it is supposed to do.
What I don't understand is that if the car remains structurally unfit after rusting from so many areas, how does it matter if it can off-road with ease or not. Just a lame excuse to cover up.

Mahindra is not doing anything good enough to justify their shoddy paint & anti-rust processes. And even after escalating the issue on direct e-mails to Mahindra officials, not a single call. And the situation remains as is.
Its really disheartening to see the car getting affected by this rust disease. Perhaps, take these pics to Anand Mahindra on Twitter? He even has the Thar as his cover photo Not sure how much it would help but I have heard stories where in he steps in to push the dealers or known associates to tackle any customer issues. Worth giving a try?

On another hand, you are from Thane-Mumbai? Sea side? Reason why I'm asking is because I have heard this rusting issues cropping up day in and out for those owners living in seaside vicinity. Moisture and air quality affects our cars a lot is what I have heard in person. Perhaps get a good quality painting done with you around in the paint hub at the workshop so that they are aware of the owners presence. I know this is tiresome and time consuming. But giving it a try might get you some peace is what I feel. I know how it feels like totally to get scammed like this but do not give up because your car in Black looks sweet with widened tires.

Quote on the rusting in seashore locations:
Quote:
Why a car rusts faster in seaside locations?
Many people ask why cars rust faster when in seaside locations. Even though we know that water can trigger rusting, car owners that live near the ocean typically find that their cars are prone to rust much earlier than cars that are located in places that are not seaside. However, it is not just the water that triggers the rusting in these seaside locations, it is the combination of the moisture in the air (water) and salt in the air from the ocean water. Water and salt can each lead to rusting on their own. Therefore, it is not a surprise that the combination of water and salt in the seaside air can lead to a car rusting faster.
What you can do to protect your car if you live seaside?
Unfortunately there is not a lot that a vehicle owner can do to prevent the rusting process while living seaside, though you may be able to slow down the process. Most new cars have a coating that is already intended to be a preventative. However, some other things that vehicle owners can do to help slow down the rusting process include more frequent washing, professional rust-proofing, waxing your car regularly, and seal scratches and dents immediately.

It is recommended that you wash and wax your car at least every two weeks when you live in a high moisture or seaside location to help keep the salt and moisture mixture from starting the rusting process. In addition, taking your car to a professional to have a rustproofing sealant put on your car can be helpful. A professional rustproofing agent is applied to all parts - some parts are even removed to ensure they are completely coated. You will also want to make sure that you seal scratches and dents you find on your car as soon as they are noticed. You can do this by applying clear nail polish to the scratches and dents immediately.

Your car may be one of your biggest investments. Doing what you can to protect it from rusting prematurely is important. Preventing, or slowing down, the rusting process starts with understanding what causes rust and recognizing how your vehicle may be at risk for rusting. Once you understand the factors that are located in your geographic area, you may be able to take precautions to limit or stop the beginning of the rusting process on your vehicle.
Source

Lastly;
  • Get it repainted at your own expense with a renowned external painters in your vicinity and do a anti-rust coating. Though this option proves to make a hole in your pocket, a try might save the peace for you only if you are intending on keeping the car.
OR
  • Try another Mahindra outlet to see if they are better in doing these works for you?
OR
  • If none of the above works, it hurts to say, but to get rid of the car purely for Mahindra's incompetency in helping you out and buy a better SUV. I know the feel of owning the Thar cannot be replaced. But if it doesn't bring you happiness and peace, it makes no sense in living with it than to get rid of it to save some time and peace of mind for you.
All the best mate. Keep us posted on the progress you make.

Last edited by gururajrv : 23rd November 2017 at 13:04.
Old 23rd November 2017, 13:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Its really disheartening to see the car getting affected by this rust disease. Perhaps, take these pics to Anand Mahindra on Twitter? He even has the Thar as his cover photo Not sure how much it would help but I have heard stories where in he steps in to push the dealers or known associates to tackle any customer issues. Worth giving a try?

On another hand, you are from Thane-Mumbai? Sea side? Reason why I'm asking is because I have heard this rusting issues cropping up day in and out for those owners living in seaside vicinity. Moisture and air quality affects our cars a lot is what I have heard in person. Perhaps get a good quality painting done with you around in the paint hub at the workshop so that they are aware of the owners presence. I know this is tiresome and time consuming. But giving it a try might get you some peace is what I feel. I know how it feels like totally to get scammed like this but do not give up because your car in Black looks sweet with widened tires.

Quote on the rusting in seashore locations:
Source

Lastly;
  • Get it repainted at your own expense with a renowned external painters in your vicinity and do a anti-rust coating. Though this option proves to make a hole in your pocket, a try might save the peace for you only if you are intending on keeping the car.
OR
  • Try another Mahindra outlet to see if they are better in doing these works for you?
OR
  • If none of the above works, it hurts to say, but to get rid of the car purely for Mahindra's incompetency in helping you out and buy a better SUV. I know the feel of owning the Thar cannot be replaced. But if it doesn't bring you happiness and peace, it makes no sense in living with it than to get rid of it to save some time and peace of mind for you.
All the best mate. Keep us posted on the progress you make.
I've owned motorcycles from TVS (2), Bajaj (1), KTM (1), Royal Enfield (1), Yamaha (1), Honda (1)
I've owned cars such as Maruti Suzuki Alto, Maruti Suzuki Ciaz, Hyundai Verna, Hyundai Grand i10, Chevrolet Sail & this rustic rusting Mahindra Thar.

Yes I stay in Thane, one can claim it to be on the coast, although it is quite far. But out of all the cars & bikes mentioned above, why is it that only the Mahindra Thar is rusting? None of the others were affected, and so badly.

Incompetence is the right word my friend. I am just fighting it up till I have some patience left.

Let me repeat, i love my Thar, it gives me the pleasure of driving an old-school vehicle in today's date and there is no denying that there is no alternative to it. But if it is going to keep me bothered like this, I am better off it. And that would be some good riddance.

PS. I have OCD for things being perfect, and the way I like it. My Hyundai Verna after 8 years of ownership, 1.6 lakh kms on the odo was nearly scratch free & had no rattles at all. So, when I gave in to Mahindra, I accepted to trade off on some points, but rusting, NO!
Old 23rd November 2017, 14:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've owned motorcycles from TVS (2), Bajaj (1), KTM (1), Royal Enfield (1), Yamaha (1), Honda (1)
I've owned cars such as Maruti Suzuki Alto, Maruti Suzuki Ciaz, Hyundai Verna, Hyundai Grand i10, Chevrolet Sail & this rustic rusting Mahindra Thar.

Yes I stay in Thane, one can claim it to be on the coast, although it is quite far. But out of all the cars & bikes mentioned above, why is it that only the Mahindra Thar is rusting? None of the others were affected, and so badly.

Incompetence is the right word my friend. I am just fighting it up till I have some patience left.
Pretty much summarised it’s the QA issue checks done against the THAR at factory level compared to other manufacturers.

Quote:
PS. I have OCD for things being perfect, and the way I like it. My Hyundai Verna after 8 years of ownership, 1.6 lakh kms on the odo was nearly scratch free & had no rattles at all. So, when I gave in to Mahindra, I accepted to trade off on some points, but rusting, NO!
OCD is pretty much existent with enthusiasts like you and me buddy. Don’t give up yet. Try on Twitter with the head himself. See if that way helps you get it restored. Your dealer must be taught a lesson for the level of service competency they have on offer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks