Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 14:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to mention this in my previous post, but I love the HPS when I'm pushing her hard. It's just that it has it's own share of disadvantages.
Old 17th April 2009, 16:39   #62
BHPian

I agree with Immortalz that HPS is better, I love it in my Santro, Its more stable than EPS when on high speed.

Having a EPS on small cars is something i can't make up my mind with HPS is more stable IMHO.
Old 17th April 2009, 23:11   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Yes. Those are few of the aspects that come under the feel.

The feel is something like this: When you drive, your wheels feel the road, and experience certain forces - like say when the road is tilted/sloping, wet, sandy/gravelly, pot holed.
When you twist your steering, the wheels turn, and face some resistance from the ground.

All these forces are more strongly felt by the wheel when it is stationary or slow.

So anything that your wheels experience, if that can be transmitted to steering wheel, so that you as a driver can also experience it - that construes the FEEL.

Now mostly in EPS it is observed that it feels dead. Its almost like those arcade racing games you play. There is a floating feeling, no resistance coming from the steering.
Very well described alpha1. I felt the difference in the steering feel when I test drove the swift compared to my previous Indica which has HPS. Also I think the HPS feel can be tweaked and can be made lighter- which I feel driving the Chevy Spark which has HPS. It is not as light as the EPS found in the Swift, though lighter than my Indica steering. I think vehicle weight and tyre width size matters too.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:46   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Now mostly in EPS it is observed that it feels dead. Its almost like those arcade racing games you play. There is a floating feeling, no resistance coming from the steering.
You have given words to my feelings.

EPS is lifeless for me. Recently I drove a WagonR for around a thousand kilometers (Goa-Hampi-Goa) and felt the very strong difference

HPS gives you the feedback of the car, the actual feel of the road, EPS seems to be artificial world.
Old 28th May 2009, 14:00   #65
BANNED

See : Electric Power Steering VS Hydraulic Power Steering
Old 28th May 2009, 17:17   #66
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
An informative read. I still prefer a hydraulic power steering for the feedback at higher speeds, though I drive cars with both hydraulic and electric assist for the steering
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:22   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Sorry for reviving this very old thread, but couldn't refrain myself from writing something. I could not agree with the article in the link above, especially the conclusion. The fact is that it's easier to "tune" a proper feedback from a HPS(or EHPS) than from an EPS unit.
For example, the Honda Civic marketed in Europe has an EPS unit and the driver oriented Japanese version has an EHPS unit. There is a youtube video where an auto show (I think Top Gear) tried out both the versions and guess what, they chose the one with the EHPS for it's sheer involving drive. (Sorry, could not put a link to the video as I'm writing from my office)
Even at the time of purchase of my first car, when I had to choose between the Wagon R and Santro Xing, I discarded the Wagon R because of it's over servoed EPS. There was absolutely no feedback from the EPS at any speed and I wanted to drive my car, not just turn a dead wheel to point my car at the direction where I wanted it to go.

And I'm really amazed by comments which tell "EPS is safer". This is just bogus!
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:44   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
For example, the Honda Civic marketed in Europe has an EPS unit and the driver oriented Japanese version has an EHPS unit. There is a Youtube video where an auto show (I think Top Gear) tried out both the versions and guess what, they chose the one with the EHPS for it's sheer involving drive.
Check your info. AFAIK, Honda does not use EHPS anywhere.
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:16   #69
BHPian

I guess there are pros and cons to both.
EPS - for lighter vehicles, lesser maintenance
HPS - for heavier vehicles, more powerful but increased maintenance costs. There have been many instances where the oil seals start to leak - my esteem had this problem and I had to shell out about 2500/- bucks to renew the seals.

Same goes with the EPS - it would probably overload on heavier vehicles - added to that maintenance involving carbon brushes and contacts.

EHPS on the other hand - I guess that would be for oversized/offroader vehicles. That I would presume (since we work on electro-hydraulic steering systems on ships) the hydraulic pump unit is electrically driven. But I could be wrong.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:27   #70
BHPian

what is the frequency of changing hydraulic power steering fluid? is it important to change it as I don't find a mention in the Maruti owner's manual makes no mention of changing the fluid but only asks for checking and topping up periodically.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:43   #71
BHPian

What would be the one on a Maruti Esteem 2004 BS3 ? HPS or EPS
Old 8th July 2010, 10:14   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
what is the frequency of changing hydraulic power steering fluid? is it important to change it as I don't find a mention in the Maruti owner's manual makes no mention of changing the fluid but only asks for checking and topping up periodically.
What Maruti? It probably isn't mentioned because your car has an electric power steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
What would be the one on a Maruti Esteem 2004 BS3 ? HPS or EPS
Hydraulic.
Old 30th March 2012, 09:33   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Know your power steering

Got this material from my old HDD. May be useful for beginners.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Different types of Steering Systems + Examples.pdf (1.47 MB, 171875 views)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 08:11   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Know your power steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Got this material from my old HDD. May be useful for beginners.
Material related to the above post. Bit lazy to dig out the materials from my old HDD
Attached Files
File Type: zip Steering.zip (2.03 MB, 115 views)
Old 5th May 2012, 08:54   #75
Senior - BHPian

Know your power steering: Should the Oil Filter replaced with Fluid Replacement?

Around 2 years ago, The "Lower End" of the Pipe that is connected to the Power Steering Fluid Reservoir got hit and broken in rural area. At that time, the fluid leaked and the Steering became hard. On checking, we came to know the leak and the pipe was somehow "attached" and fluid was topped up.

After some days (4-5 months) the Power Steering Rack started leaking. So got it replaced with refurbished one.

Yesterday while observing the Pipe which I mentioned above had got wet with oil. Also it had become too soft. So thought of replacing it. On showing the old sample to the spare parts shop, he told me that the pipe has got sored and the oil filter also has to be replaced.

So I bought the oil filter and came to mechanic. He said "There is no need to replace the Power Steering Oil Filter. Its simply waste of money and nothing else".
I only got the pipe replaced.

Who is correct?
Should I replace the Oil Filter?

FYI, the Oil Filter is Paper-Type and its cost is Rs.139/-
Car in question is Indigo LS that has run 2,34,500kms.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 5th May 2012 at 08:57. Reason: Added the car details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks