Team-BHP - ECU Remaps : About Tools, Software & Tuners!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   ECU Remaps : About Tools, Software & Tuners! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/190894-ecu-remaps-about-tools-software-tuners-33.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic (Post 4467722)
The tuner who I got my remap done from also said that the car can be remapped to that power figure but told me that it is safer to keep it to around 170 bhp to ensure long time reliability.

Which tuner did you use? Did you also do a TCU remap?

Has someone remapped their Honda Brio?
It's a pocket rocket , but poor drivability in low gears.

I know gains won't be substantial, but would still like this for smoother drivability.

Not keen on setting hot laps or speed benchmark.
Needless to say this car is a N.A car

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 4680771)
Quick answer is No. Remap does not alter the gearshift pattern at all.

Thanks clevermax for your input.

Based on your Input I have a few doubts.

We have a 2016 octavia 2.0 TDI AT in the family and are taking quotes for remap in Mumbai. We are not keen on and part upgrade as vehicle is under extended warranty. Objective of remap is being competent with Other Germans with 2.0 TDI

ToT:
Stage 1: 170 hp and 390 nm for INR 29k no tcu map.
Stage 2: 195 hp and 420 nm for INR 36k + down pipe and air filter and again no tcu map.

Wolf:
170 hp and 390 nm for INR 30k
TCU map is another INR 21k

Please suggest which map is better.

Do we need to go for tire upgrade ASAP or we can hold with a fairly new set of good year eagle nct5 run for 16k kms.

Thanks in anticipation

Quote:

Originally Posted by puntOOs (Post 5138509)
Which tuner did you use? Did you also do a TCU remap?

Remap was done by WolfMoto. Yes a TCU was done as well.

Hi Folks

Have been following this thread religiously, appreciate the knowledge and commitment on subject matter. I have a 10 year old 66000 Km run Jetta (preowned) all good till date, except for the horror when the gear cable linkage broke during a highway run. I am based out of Bangalore, I just found out today that the Jetta had undergone the diesel gate fix prior to me purchasing the car. I have always thought of stage 1 remap, just that I do not want to end up taking the risk of loosing reliability by changing the stock map. I would like to keep this car for another 5 years( fingers crossed)

Considering the age of the vehicle, do you guys recommend remapping the Jetta?
  1. Wolf vs Bay6 for 2 L TDI- Bay 6 is a stone's throw away from the place where I stay in Bangalore, Engineering exponent is around 14 km
  2. I am not a fan of high speed driving, however I love in gear acceleration and the Torque surge.
  3. EGR delete- soft vs hard? And does it throw a check engine light once you do this
  4. The most important part, will my reliability be sacrificed by remapping as its a 10 year old car?
  5. The usage is limited. Very little city driving, long highway drive once in 2 months.
  6. i have just got the service done, timing it was changed 2 months back
It would be great to have your feedbacks on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drift87 (Post 5151833)
Considering the age of the vehicle, do you guys recommend remapping the Jetta?

66000 km is not much if your car is running fine. But do note that a remap will add extra stress on engine components, incase if any part is weak / failing it might show up early.

Quote:

Wolf vs Bay6 for 2 L TDI- Bay 6 is a stone's throw away from the place where I stay in Bangalore, Engineering exponent is around 14 km
If possible try to drive 2.0 TDI from both the tuners and decide. Generally Wolf has got better customer feedback compared to Code 6. You can also check out Tune O Tronics who is well known for 2.0 TDI remaps and builds.

Quote:

EGR delete- soft vs hard? And does it throw a check engine light once you do this
It might show CEL if you do only hard delete. Soft delete in ECU map would be sufficient :thumbs up

Has anyone got their i10 remapped? Especially getting improvement in bottom/low end drivability?

Quote:

Originally Posted by saurabh_v8 (Post 5140714)
Thanks clevermax for your input.

Based on your Input I have a few doubts.

We have a 2016 octavia 2.0 TDI AT in the family and are taking quotes for remap in Mumbai. We are not keen on and part upgrade as vehicle is under extended warranty. Objective of remap is being competent with Other Germans with 2.0 TDI

ToT:
Stage 1: 170 hp and 390 nm for INR 29k no tcu map.
Stage 2: 195 hp and 420 nm for INR 36k + down pipe and air filter and again no tcu map.

Wolf:
170 hp and 390 nm for INR 30k
TCU map is another INR 21k

Please suggest which map is better.

Do we need to go for tire upgrade ASAP or we can hold with a fairly new set of good year eagle nct5 run for 16k kms.

Thanks in anticipation

I have got my Octavia 2016 TDI MT stage 1 from Petes Cochin. As per them the output is 190 BHP and 400 NM torque. Since MT there was no TCU upgrade. Though I haven't done any dyno the car behaviour has totally changed. Not that stock was bad, but after remap it is really very fast and even in 4th gear you can reach insane speed. The stock tyres (Pirelli P6) had lot of wheel spin even in 2nd gear under heavy acceleration and I changed to 225 45 17 and suspension upgraded to B6.
I was infact debating between Pete's, Code 6, ToT and Wolf and finally went to Pete's considering their experience with VAG and they are the official dealers for Bilstein. I was very close to finalizing Wolf based on the amazing customer reviews. Overall I am totally happy with the map.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic (Post 5147226)
Remap was done by WolfMoto. Yes a TCU was done as well.

Is TCU map really necessary? Please let me know how does it help
When I spoke with wolf in detail they said it is required so that dsg holds a gear until red line.

But this can be achieved by enabling sports mode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saurabh_v8 (Post 5156049)
Is TCU map really necessary? Please let me know how does it help
When I spoke with wolf in detail they said it is required so that dsg holds a gear until red line.

But this can be achieved by enabling sports mode.

I can't say whether it is necessary or not, but I think there is some miscommunication / misunderstanding in this regard. A ECU/TCU remap does not make the DSG hold gear till the red line. As far as I know, it just helps the DSG to efficiently shift as per the remap. My car definitely doesn't hold till the red line on 'D' mode. As rightly mentioned by you, this can be achieved in Sport Mode / Tiptronic Mode.

Hello guys,

I have recently got hold of a Jetta 2.0 TDI CL manual, its a 2013 with 96k on the odo. Condition of the vehicle is good, where, flywheel, clutch kit, front lower arms have been replaced when the car was at 89k. I am getting the timing belt and water pump replaced as part of 8th year service.

First of all, I wish to know if it is safe to get the car remapped at 8 year and 96k odo.

If yes, below are my expectations/ preferences from the remap -
  1. Reliability - I know I am asking for too much, but I would wish the car to be reliable as far as possible post remap
  2. Low end torque
  3. Good drivability, I don't want to compromise on the ride and handling
  4. Increase in fuel economy

I am not much concerned on the 0 to 100 timings and dyno numbers. I want a practical car with an added amount of fun, both highway and city drives.

Please suggest a good remap which could suit my preferences (I am from Bangalore). I have gone through posts on this thread and forum and see that WolfMoto, Code6 and TOT are the ones members have preferred, again depending on the car/ engine etc.

Thank you all in advance.

KK

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redex (Post 4995513)
Hi,
I work 4 months in a garage, 4 months farming and spend 4 months in India. I am 65 and should be retired but cannot give up !!!!
I have 5 vehicles including a 17 year Ford Focus 1.8TDDI diesel, in the U.K. This version of diesel engine has been around for about 30 years !!! I have never bothered with re-mapping or chipping as I believe the best solution is just to buy a car with a bigger engine. However older inter-cooled turbo diesels have more scope for improvement than current models. Current diesels have much less scope as they are already at a fairly high state of tune for the sake of performance and economy, and reduced engine capacity.
My trusty Focus Ghia Estate now has over 240,000 kms on the clock. It spends its life on daily round trips of 160km to and from work. 80% of the time is spent on expressways cruising at about 120kph and 20% on back roads at an average of 40kph.
I have a friend who owns a "re-map" company, and as we are having 2 vehicles re-mapped at our garage I have been offered a "FREE" re-map on my Focus. (Probably an attempt to gain further business, if I find it worthwhile).
My aim is not out and out performance, but to improve the overall economy, as I intend to carry on driving in the same fashion. I am looking to improve the fuel efficiency. I run my car from full to about 80 kms from empty and refill, usually once a week and about 45 litres. I average about 23km/l.
Standard the Focus weighs about 1.8 tonnes, has 89 BHP and 200nm torque. The express way portion (80%) of my diving is at 2,900 rpm/120k/ph. At that engine speed it produces about 78HP and 186nm torque.
I am going to have a custom re-map to optimize torque at 2,900 rpm (about 270nm).
Currently the power is 89HP @ 4,000 rpm, torque is 200nm @ 2,000 rpm.
The 1st stage re-map is 114HP and 256nm maximum.
The 2nd stage re-map is 135HP and 300nm maximum.
The re-map being created is a compromise between stage 1 and stage 2. I have no intention of exceeding 3,000 rpm (130kph in top gear)and will carry on driving as usual. High rpm in a diesel just makes more noise, you generally don't go any faster, just strain the engine.
I will update this post and let you know about economy improvements and any noticeable performance improvements (I will make an exception for this and run the engine to peak HP, which currently is about 4,00rpm, although the torque drops by over 20% at 4,000rpm)
As a famous American once said "It's HP that sells a car, but torque that wins races !!!!)
Regards Neil

Hi,
8 months and 18,000 kms later, (not been working as much otherwise it would normally be nearer 32,000kms). The Focus suffered typical Bosch VP30 injection pump electronics failure at 244,000kms. Fitted a replacement pump (and treated the engine to a full service, cam and aux belts, water pump, thermostat, alternator, tensioners etc etc), fuel economy remained at 19kml (not the 23kml in the quote above, that was a conversion error from mpg)
Had the opportunity to have a "free" re-map (including delete egr) at 251,000kms.
89 BHP to 120BHP, 200nm Torque to 260nm.
Now at 262,000kms. I have covered approximately 11,000kms with the re-map and averaged an increase in fuel efficiency of approximately 4%. Oddly this is the same increase in efficeincy I got when I tried BP Ultimate Diesel instead of the standard fuel (I always use BP as I have a "free" fuel card).This is over 12 full tanks of diesel.
My driving routine is the same for virtually every trip I make. Same roads, same speeds where possible. Daily round trips of 160km to and from work. 80% of the time is spent on expressways cruising at about 120kph and 20% on back roads at an average of 40kph.
I feel that this is due to the increase in torque (50nm) at my cruising speed (2,900 rpm). I really need a lower final drive ratio to get this down to 2,500rpm but the option is not available. I am stuck with the 5 speed box with the lowest final drive and cannot change it for the later 6 speed in the 1.8tdci version.

Improvements following re-map/egr delete.
1. Better starting
2. Much smoother tick over from cold.
3. Significant improvement in acceleration.
4. Less tendency to labour at low rpm (below 1,500rpm where the turbo
spools up)
5. Less drop off in power over 3,000rpm.(see note below)
6. Better fuel efficeincy, up from 19km/l to 19.8km/l

Note : I don't usually go over 3,000 rpm and generally try to keep the revs between 1,500 and 2,900rpm (the sweet spot for overall performance/efficeincy) when changing up the box. Anyway torque starts to fall away above 2,500rpm.
Once a year I do run the car WOT for 5kms, (I have access to a private circuit), and each time it has always reached 178kmh (exactly as the specs quote!). I consider it a test of the overall condition/reliability of the engine, and a good clear out of junk.
Is it worth it ? Simple answer is yes for the seat of the pants feel, and no if you want to save money, (unless you do the kind of mileage I do). I could recover the cost in less than 2 to 3 years !!!
Stay safe. Hoping to get to India soon for up to 4 months (an escape from our winter). Flights and visas are starting to open up. Then its back to my trusty 8 year old (modified) Suzuki Access 125.

Considering a remap for my 2014 BMW 320D. Car has run only 20000 kms. I am in Kolkata.

1) Are remaps recommended for this engine / model?

2) Does is reduce the reliability of an old engine (8 years)

3) Can this be done remotely from another city? OBD Cable + Teamviewer?

4) If 3 is a yes, who is recommended for BMW Diesels?

5) If 3 is a No, recommendations for Kolkata tuners?

I am considering a 6 year old 1.8 TSI Octavia with DQ200. The car has low mileage and has 2 remaps - TVS DSG remap and Revo engine remap. Both are stage 1. The owner of the car suggested me that with TVS DSG remap, one can be almost 100% sure that DSG failure would not happen as TVS has the best software for DSG. I understand a remap could make DSG more efficient and always keep the car in right gear (stock DSG in my GT would not downshift from 2 to 1 even at 1000 rpm).

Does anyone have more information or experience on effectiveness of TVS remap for DQ200? Does it really decreases DSG failure chances to say under 5%? Or are all DQ200 destined to fail irrespective of anything? Should I consider this car as except for its age it is very well maintained?

Quote:

Originally Posted by manish84 (Post 5198524)
Or are all DQ200 destined to fail irrespective of anything? Should I consider this car as except for its age it is very well maintained?

Consider a DQ 200 like playing a game of Russian roulette. You don’t know when the bullet will strike you. It’s a gamble and as is the case when you’re gambling, no one can accurately tell you the outcome.You might get away with no harm and then again you might be harmed.

Remaps to the gearbox are liking adding bullets to the Russian roulette chamber increasing the probability of failure.

If you can handle potential gearbox failure and the associated problems and costs that come with it, then you can go ahead and buy the car.

If you are looking for a gearbox that does not fail, then this is not the car for you.