Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2021, 02:28   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ECU Remaps : About Tools, Software & Tuners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
"The gains on the VENTO aren’t much. I would not recommend to remap that car."
Any idea why they'd say this? Aren't there plenty of 1.2 TSI Polos and Ventos tuned all over?
Not sure why Karan responded so. 1.2 TSI engine is not really mod friendly. You get decent gains but 1.0 TSI has better gains. Good remap does make the car more punchy, don't expect huge gains though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Also, I would need suggestions about tuners who have worked on the Hyundai/KIA's 1.5 Diesel.
I would prefer someone available in or around Kolkata. I hardly see any info on tuners in here.
I don't think remap is available for new 1.5 diesels from Hyundai / KIA. The ECU is different and no tools are able to access this ECU yet. I shall check with my sources again and update
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 01:17   #377
BHPian

Remapping ECU, is it worthwhile?

Hi,
I work 4 months in a garage, 4 months farming and spend 4 months in India. I am 65 and should be retired but cannot give up !!!!
I have 5 vehicles including a 17 year Ford Focus 1.8TDDI diesel, in the U.K. This version of diesel engine has been around for about 30 years !!! I have never bothered with re-mapping or chipping as I believe the best solution is just to buy a car with a bigger engine. However older inter-cooled turbo diesels have more scope for improvement than current models. Current diesels have much less scope as they are already at a fairly high state of tune for the sake of performance and economy, and reduced engine capacity.
My trusty Focus Ghia Estate now has over 240,000 kms on the clock. It spends its life on daily round trips of 160km to and from work. 80% of the time is spent on expressways cruising at about 120kph and 20% on back roads at an average of 40kph.
I have a friend who owns a "re-map" company, and as we are having 2 vehicles re-mapped at our garage I have been offered a "FREE" re-map on my Focus. (Probably an attempt to gain further business, if I find it worthwhile).
My aim is not out and out performance, but to improve the overall economy, as I intend to carry on driving in the same fashion. I am looking to improve the fuel efficiency. I run my car from full to about 80 kms from empty and refill, usually once a week and about 45 litres. I average about 23km/l.
Standard the Focus weighs about 1.8 tonnes, has 89 BHP and 200nm torque. The express way portion (80%) of my diving is at 2,900 rpm/120k/ph. At that engine speed it produces about 78HP and 186nm torque.
I am going to have a custom re-map to optimize torque at 2,900 rpm (about 270nm).
Currently the power is 89HP @ 4,000 rpm, torque is 200nm @ 2,000 rpm.
The 1st stage re-map is 114HP and 256nm maximum.
The 2nd stage re-map is 135HP and 300nm maximum.
The re-map being created is a compromise between stage 1 and stage 2. I have no intention of exceeding 3,000 rpm (130kph in top gear)and will carry on driving as usual. High rpm in a diesel just makes more noise, you generally don't go any faster, just strain the engine.
I will update this post and let you know about economy improvements and any noticeable performance improvements (I will make an exception for this and run the engine to peak HP, which currently is about 4,00rpm, although the torque drops by over 20% at 4,000rpm)
As a famous American once said "It's HP that sells a car, but torque that wins races !!!!)
Regards Neil
Attached Thumbnails
ECU Remaps : About Tools, Software & Tuners!-img_20180830_145404.jpg  

ECU Remaps : About Tools, Software & Tuners!-img_20180830_145426.jpg  

Redex is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 10:26   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

My experience with remaps is limited hence wanted to know how easy it is for authorised workshops to trace the remaps and void you warranty? Particularly luxury car manufacturers, has anyone done a remap and got into warranty trouble ?
Old 7th February 2021, 10:32   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
My experience with remaps is limited hence wanted to know how easy it is for authorised workshops to trace the remaps and void you warranty? Particularly luxury car manufacturers, has anyone done a remap and got into warranty trouble ?
It's very easy for them to trace if they are specifically looking for it. All they need to do is log the car.

Most of the diagnostic tools won't raise a flag or alert that the ECU is remapped on it's own except for TD1 code in Audi. Here the tool will alert that the ECU software has been modified.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 7th February 2021 at 10:34.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 14:26   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Remapping ECU, is it worthwhile?

Hi Neil,
Will be interesting to see if a remap gets you any better fuel economy.

There are some very knowledgeable folks on the forum when it comes to remapping:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...re-tuners.html (ECU Remaps : About Tools, Software & Tuners!)

You live in a nice area of the UK. We used to own a place in Suffolk,

With the amount of snow heading your way, I reckon your tractor is probably the best drive for the next couple of days!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 21:26   #381
BHPian

CORRECTION !!!
Quote:
"My aim is not out and out performance, but to improve the overall economy, as I intend to carry on driving in the same fashion. I am looking to improve the fuel efficiency. I run my car from full to about 80 kms from empty and refill, usually once a week and about 45 litres. I average about 23km/l."

Apologies, the post should read 19km/L not 23km/L , I was lazy and used an online converter from MPG to km/L, unfortunately it was US gallons (3.78 litres) not Imperial gallons(4.54 L).
Regards Neil
Old 9th February 2021, 14:01   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
CORRECTION !!!
Quote:
"My aim is not out and out performance, but to improve the overall economy, as I intend to carry on driving in the same fashion. I am looking to improve the fuel efficiency. I run my car from full to about 80 kms from empty and refill, usually once a week and about 45 litres. I average about 23km/l."

Apologies, the post should read 19km/L not 23km/L , I was lazy and used an online converter from MPG to km/L, unfortunately it was US gallons (3.78 litres) not Imperial gallons(4.54 L).
Regards Neil
You won't observe a significant change in fuel economy post remap. There would be marginal improvment due to lesser gear shifts and better low end torque. Expect a drop in fuel economy, if you go pedal to metal. The drop will be more than a stock car.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 18:22   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
I need some help here guys. I'm losing sleep over the diesel gate fix on my almost 5 year old Rapid 1.5 TDI AT.
====
Can I get it done irrespective of the ECU tune?
Hi, have you done any level of ECM tune yet ? i was considering the stage one through black box tuning in pune, supposedly, quantum tuning, however a lot of them referred for GOAPR, sadly they dont have a map for DSG 1.5 AT
Old 18th February 2021, 09:20   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish.shenoy View Post
Hi, have you done any level of ECM tune yet ? i was considering the stage one through black box tuning in pune, supposedly, quantum tuning, however a lot of them referred for GOAPR, sadly they dont have a map for DSG 1.5 AT
Nope..none seemed convincing. I’m considering other avenues though. Will keep this thread informed for sure.
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:14   #385
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Hello Doc, and Hello everyone else. I am planning to get my Figo 1.5 TDCi remapped. I do have a few questions regarding the same. Feedback would be really appreciated.

1. My extended warranty for the 4th year shall be expiring in August of this year. I do have the option of taking the 5th year extended warranty. My query is, how do warranty and remaps go along with each other? If something goes wrong with the engine, I doubt they'd honour my warranty. So if I do decide to go for a remap, I am thinking of not opting for the 5th year extended warranty. Now I know this is not exactly related to the remap, but any insights would be great to hear from the experienced members.

2. I am based in Mumbai. I am thinking of going with code 6 as they have an dedicated distributor in Mumbai and in general, I have seen positive reviews about them. Any other alternates in Mumbai? Any reason why I should or should not stick to code 6? Any risk considering that Mumbai only has a distributor and not a full fledged setup?

3. What is the difference between stage 1 and stage 1+ tuning? I have seen a post from their Kochi Instagram page featuring a stage 1+ remapped Figo and multiple Ecosports. Should I get the stage 1+ if available?

4. Is the only con of EGR delete, higher emissions? Do I have to take any precaution(s) post EGR delete since code 6 does a hard EGR delete. Hope that getting PUC won't be an issue.

5. Let's say the guys at Ford decide to update the car's ECU software, the remap tune shall go away right? Are the tuners in general, who are understanding of such issues? Or is it 20k(another remap) yet again? How often can such a scenario take place? In general, what is the type of support than tuners provide once a remap is done?

6. The car is running of stock 14 inch wheels. I am thinking of replacing the tyres around the 5 year mark(the car has run 23,500 km). Keeping in mind the remap figures of 130PS/290NM, should I upgrade to 15 inchers? I mean technically speaking, I am of the opinion that I should. However, would like to know the opinion of fellow members if that is really necessary and if yes, how much would be the impact? Can it be managed with 14 inchers? Can it wait for an year and a half?

Will Ford offer me some value for my old alloys if I buy the new 15 inchers from them?

These are all the questions that are there in my mind. Will really appreciate any other pointers/advise that I may have missed.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:42   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Hello Doc, and Hello everyone else. I am planning to get my Figo 1.5 TDCi remapped. I do have a few questions regarding the same. Feedback would be really appreciated.

Now I know this is not exactly related to the remap, but any insights would be great to hear from the experienced members.
If they detect the remap, warranty could be easily void.

Quote:
Any reason why I should or should not stick to code 6? Any risk considering that Mumbai only has a distributor and not a full fledged setup?
Wolf is better I believe as there are many owners who shifted from Code 6 to Wolf for this car . If possible, drive both the cars and decide. You should be able to find owners of tuned cars in Mumbai.

Quote:
3. What is the difference between stage 1 and stage 1+ tuning? I have seen a post from their Kochi Instagram page featuring a stage 1+ remapped Figo and multiple Ecosports. Should I get the stage 1+ if available?
I think it's just an aggressive version of Stage 1.

Quote:
4. Is the only con of EGR delete, higher emissions? Do I have to take any precaution(s) post EGR delete since code 6 does a hard EGR delete. Hope that getting PUC won't be an issue.
No issues at all with PUC. My car with even decat downpipe has cleared the test

Quote:
5. Let's say the guys at Ford decide to update the car's ECU software, the remap tune shall go away right? Are the tuners in general, who are understanding of such issues? Or is it 20k(another remap) yet again? How often can such a scenario take place? In general, what is the type of support than tuners provide once a remap is done?
I don't think any tuner would ask you to pay the full amount. It's free from most of them. But, few tuners could charge you a minimal amount for each flash.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 3rd March 2021 at 18:43.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 21:30   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Doc, and Hello everyone else. I am planning to get my Figo 1.5 TDCi remapped. I do have a few questions regarding the same. Feedback would be really appreciated.?

6. The car is running of stock 14 inch wheels. I am thinking of replacing the tyres around the 5 year mark(the car has run 23,500 km). Keeping in mind the remap figures of 130PS/290NM, should I upgrade to 15 inchers? I mean technically speaking, I am of the opinion that I should. However, would like to know the opinion of fellow members if that is really necessary and if yes, how much would be the impact? Can it be managed with 14 inchers? Can it wait for an year and a half?

Will Ford offer me some value for my old alloys if I buy the new 15 inchers from them?

These are all the questions that are there in my mind. Will really appreciate any other pointers/advise that I may have missed.
3)-Stage 1+ is a bit more aggressive as mentioned. I would start off with a Stage 1 map and take it from there. Not sure if Code 6 has the option to fine tune the map as per the customer needs. When I got their tune, it was a pre-set tune for the 1.5 Tdci engine. I moved to Wolf Moto after around ten months since I wanted a tune which I can get customized and also get rid of the black smoke. The map I have now is the second one from WM and I have been running with it since 2 years now with no issues and no smoke. Have done plenty of highway trips after and the car just shines.

4)- If you are closing the EGR for performance gains, there is hardly any. The main reason I did it in my car when it had run just 6k kms is so the engine intake system and valves don't clog up on the long run. With your car already crossed 20k kms, I am not sure how much it would help this case.

6)- If you have the option to upgrade to 15inch, go for it. You can choose the same size as the new Aspire. Wider tyres helps a lot at high speeds, especially braking and cornering.
290nm torque that Code6 mentions is something which I doubt is the realistic figure. Adding to that, a safe tune for this engine with stock parts would be around 250-260.

Last edited by tharian : 3rd March 2021 at 21:31.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 22:22   #388
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
290nm torque that Code6 mentions is something which I doubt is the realistic figure. Adding to that, a safe tune for this engine with stock parts would be around 250-260.
I contacted Wolf Moto and they said that they come to Mumbai once every couple of months. The performance figures they gave are-

Stage 1 113hp / 226nm
Stage 1+ 120hp / 255nm

Now that sounds a bit too modest, especially the stage 1. Even if the code 6 tune is exaggerated, I am pretty sure that it would still be better than the Wolf figures, especially the stage 1. Another reason why I am a bit more inclined towards code 6 is there permanent presence in Mumbai(via a dealer). Cost is another factor but it is secondary.

Since you have used both the maps, I do have another question-

I do like the mid-range Turbo kick. It is quite addictive. That mid range kick is actually missing on the stock Figo and often, I do find myself taking out my dad's Jetta just to get that kick in the pants feel. Having experienced the code 6 remap(and now the Wolf Moto), was the low range of code 6 too bad? While I would lean towards a strong mid range, the low range should be atleast decent if not great.

Also, how much of a difference is there when you compare the midrange of the code 6 and the Wolf in general and then specifically the turbo kick past 2000 rpm?

And since I have already asked about the low range and the mid range, would appreciate your inputs about the top end performance as well.

Last edited by AYP : 3rd March 2021 at 22:31.
Old 3rd March 2021, 22:30   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Doc, and Hello everyone else. I am planning to get my Figo 1.5 TDCi remapped. I do have a few questions regarding...

I have run my remapped car with the stock 14 inch rims and Goodyear tyres for almost 3 years and I had no issues that were concerning, so yes if it isn’t feasible now then the upgrade can definitely wait. The only issues that I personally faced were wheelspins in second gear if I was hard on the throttle on wet roads and ofcourse the lack of slightly extra grip during spirited runs. But again most of this was solved by getting the continental cc5 tyres and I was satisfied. As of today i have gone overboard by getting 16 inch wheels on 205 section tyres. But 15 inch wheels with 195 section tyres would be the ideal upgrade for this car.
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 08:28   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I contacted Wolf Moto and they said that they come to Mumbai once every couple of months. The performance figures they gave are-

Stage 1 113hp / 226nm
Stage 1+ 120hp / 255nm

Now that sounds a bit too modest, especially the stage 1. Even if the code 6 tune is exaggerated, I am pretty sure that it would still be better than the Wolf figures, especially the stage 1. Another reason why I am a bit more inclined towards code 6 is there permanent presence in Mumbai(via a dealer). Cost is another factor but it is secondary.

Since you have used both the maps, I do have another question-

I do like the mid-range Turbo kick. It is quite addictive. That mid range kick is actually missing on the stock Figo and often, I do find myself taking out my dad's Jetta just to get that kick in the pants feel. Having experienced the code 6 remap(and now the Wolf Moto), was the low range of code 6 too bad? While I would lean towards a strong mid range, the low range should be atleast decent if not great.

Also, how much of a difference is there when you compare the midrange of the code 6 and the Wolf in general and then specifically the turbo kick past 2000 rpm?

And since I have already asked about the low range and the mid range, would appreciate your inputs about the top end performance as well.
As for the figures, I have the stage1+ from WM and it works fine for me in all situations. The Code 6 map I had was I think 130bhp/260nm or thereabouts and it was an aggressive map which was fun since it made the car pick up speed quite rapidly once the turbo kicked in. But what I didn't like was the excessive smoke when flooring it which meant the fueling was not right and on the long run, I felt it wasn't good for the engine, and add to that, i didn't want a sudden push when the turbo kicked in since it would be uncomfortable for the people inside the car. The stock engine had a linear increase which is what I wanted even on the remap.
Mid-range was good as well with Code6 which was expected since the turbo kick itself was strong, but the top end was just a bit more than the stock top end. With WM, both the turbo kick and and mid range was a bit lower, but much better than stock and the top end increased quite a bit, but that was something I asked for. The other good thing being, the turbo kick is not uncomfortable and the good thing about that is, you don't feel how rapidly you pick up speed.
The Code6 had a pronounced turbo lag as well, the low end was slightly better than stock. But this was 3 years back and they would have definitely updated their map. With WM, there is hardly any lag and it almost like driving a petrol NA engined car. The engine noise reduced as well with the WM map. Overall, when it comes to overall driveability, WM is better from what I experienced. From a fun driving point of view and for that aggressive pick up of speed, Code6.

I am not trying to market them, but since I have tried both on the same car, just giving my experiences.

Last edited by tharian : 4th March 2021 at 08:32.
tharian is online now   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks