Team-BHP - ECU Remaps : About Tools, Software & Tuners!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   ECU Remaps : About Tools, Software & Tuners! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/190894-ecu-remaps-about-tools-software-tuners-10.html)

There are so many tuners, offers and a lot of competition. Few guys ask me who is the best tuner. That's a very tough question and it has no answer frankly. I always say Choose the tuner based on the car which you are going to remap. I personally know many guys running with remaps from different tuners. Based on what I have seen / heard, I will list down few cars and who are good at it. This is just my personal opinion.

VAG Turbo Petrols :
Only 2 names come to my mind : APR & Revo Technik. These 2 firms are well known globally and invest a lot on research and development. The cost would be little more, but worth it.

E Tuners motorsports : They are relatively new in India. The dealer is based out of Bangalore. E Tuners Motorsports have done couple of VAG builds. Their own Laura 1.8 TSI does 0-100 in 4.6 seconds (GTech logged). They have done IS38 build on new Octavia 1.8 tsi (again first in India).

Pete's : JBS / Custom Code maps - Custom Code is also a good VAG tuner. Pete's has done many VAG builds. They are known for good support all over the country.

VAG Diesel :
I have read good reviews about Tune O Tronics here. Many Bhpians are happy with their TOT tuned 1.5,1.6& 2.0 TDI.

Code 6 is also doing many VAG diesel cars. I know few friends and they are satisfied. Code 6 Tuned 1.5 TDI Polo was the quickest in recent drag event, Bangalore.

E Tuners Motorsports : They are new, but already showed their metal in recent drag event. Their Audi A6 was the fastest diesel car of the event.

Fiat cars & S-Cross 1.6
I would recommend Wolf Moto here. They are the best in country for Fiat cars. They are the only tuning firm in the world to crack processor of Fiat 1.3 MJD and 1.4 TJET ECU and develop switchable maps. They can also offer normal remap if the customer doesn't want switchable maps.

I am running with Wolf moto remap and extremely satisfied. We have 18 remapped 1.6 S-Cross in our group and 13 of them are by Wolf. Code 6 tuned S-Cross 1.6 is also very fast :)

Ford cars
I would suggest Code 6 here. They have remapped highest number of Ford Ecosport, New Figo / Aspire. They have good rapport with Ford service centres and the support is really good.

Other Indian Cars :
Choose the tuner after doing some research. If the tuner has already remapped few cars(the same car which you are looking to remap) and experienced, better to go with them. Tuning Firms like Quantum UK are good here. They have many dealers all over the world and their file writers will have experience on many cars.

Luxury cars :
I do not have much idea here. I will not experiment remaps here. I would be more than happy with plug and play tuning boxes here. May be after warranty period, would consider remap.

Some Points which many get it wrong :

1. Customer A : Tuner X has done very good remap on my Jetta : Suppose a customer B has S-Cross, he should not judge the tuner based only by the Jetta remap. That's where things go wrong. Always check if the tuner has remapped the same car and has got good reviews.

2. Dyno : Tuner B says our car has done 170 HP on dyno. What does that say in real? NOTHING! This is as good as not even doing a dyno run, it's only for marketing. Dyno figures make sense only if the tuner shows both stock and remapped graphs. We should see the percentage gains, not just the dyno graph of remapped car.

3. Pricing : Today, you can remap a car from 10k to 35k. There is nothing like low price remaps would be bad and high price remaps would be good. Pete's remap is just Rs 9500 now. Say for Polo GT TSI, Pete's V3 is the most powerful I have ever seen based on logging data.

End of the day, remap is not rocket science. The tuner can give good maps and support depending on how much he is ready to invest on tools and ECU definition files etc. Invest around 10 lakhs on tools & software, get some good tuned files for common Indian cars and anybody can be a tuner here stupid:.

Multiquote :rules:
Thank you for suggesting this GTO. This will make not only our members’ but my life easy too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Naren (Post 4330686)
There are so many tuners, offers and a lot of competition. Few guys ask me who is the best tuner. That's a very tough question and it has no answer frankly. I always say Choose the tuner based on the car which you are going to remap. I personally know many guys running with remaps from different tuners. Based on what I have seen / heard, I will list down few cars and who are good at it. This is just my personal opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saurabhkum (Post 4326016)
Probably it's one of the best times to get the car remapped. Apart from these 2, Superchip is offering 15%, Revo 25% and Quantum Tuning ( G T Tunerz, Delhi) around 10%.

Thank you for sharing with me.

Has anybody here tried DTE Systems’ Power Control X?
https://www.chiptuning.com/en/skoda/...ercontrol.html

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by proxax (Post 4350634)

It's a tuning box. DTE is a known brand, it should be good. I believe you are looking for performance upgrade in Rapid. For this car, remap is much better than box. Most of the tuners in India have good tunes for 1.5 / 1.6 TDI :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Naren (Post 4350679)
It's a tuning box. DTE is a known brand, it should be good. I believe you are looking for performance upgrade in Rapid. For this car, remap is much better than box. Most of the tuners in India have good tunes for 1.5 / 1.6 TDI :).

Thank you Dr.Naren
My 2015 Skoda Rapid TDI DSG has clocked over 65000 km in 29 months of ownership. Not once waxed or polished (SHAME). I'm not keen on a performance upgrade; both BHP and Torque are adequate. I most miss the pedal response and overtaking ability on the highway. Laboured lower gear crawling when driving in the city does not bother me. I've got a lead foot anyway. My friends don't let me drive their Honda's. I only wish to find the simplest and most effective route go back to the previous state of tune which made me open my wallet and heart for the car.

Post EA189 Update
I've done over 6500 km in a span of three weeks after the forced update and 60K Service. The engine clatter has not gone away as "promised" by Gurudev Motors in Chennai. I gather that oil burners clatter upon cold start; but after reaching 90 degree C? Unacceptable. Highway mileage has dropped from 21 kmpl to 16.5 kmpl. Calculated using Tank-up to Tank-up method while driving Chennai-Bangalore-Hubli-Pune-Mumbai Route 10 days ago. Before the EA189 Update mileage on the same route was 21.2 kmpl; that too when service was due in under 1500 km and engine oil levels and coolant were never topped-up. Yes, it was approx. 1000 km per tank-up :thumbs up

My larger concern with the EA189 update?
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System is now under load as the carbon/soot is increased due changed Air Fuel Ratio, the combustion of the mixture is not complete, reducing NoX but increasing soot/carbon particulate. Worried about failure of EGR or Diesel Particulate Filter in the long run. I am keen on owning/driving/using this car beyond 200,000 km in 5 years.

The Near Future & Past Experience
Spoke with Tune-O-Tronics from Bangalore and KIIRUS from Mumbai (using Alienware KESSv2) earlier today. Was persistent to ask for Mass Flow (MAF) and Fuel Injection Volumes. Did not receive satisfactory replies; only reassurances. One suggested tweaking or shutting off the EGR valve or reducing the opening times; cold-air I chuckled 'there is a cooler integrated in the EGR system'. [Somehow I don't buy the cold-air theory similar to my aspersions about filling Nitrogen in tyres and being lazy for a month. I check air pressure every 4 days.]

I'm not happy to tweak a few parameters and load other components like high pressure fuel pump, lines, seals and valves etc. My startup is going to keep me neck-deep in water to find time to keep this baby running smooth. I am certain I am going to do more road trips than ever before. Growing older and learning from a bad experience of owning a used Porsche Cayenne V6 Diesel (2008) has taught me the value of using a full-map over tweaking existing ones.

Sometimes, I wish I was still 24 and had the relaxed mindset to go for a drive at 3 AM and find stuff to fix the next day. lol:

Simplest Fix?
Is there a way to Subscribe to https://erwin.vw.com/ and acquire the pre-dieselgate map/file?

Should I buy a completely new Chip/ECU Box? EU-OEM/After-Market?

Self-Install DTE Systems' Power Control X?

Explore asking Service folk in Mumbai for injection quantity deviation? [SCREENSHOT ATTACHED]

Quote:

Originally Posted by proxax (Post 4351284)
I only wish to find the simplest and most effective route go back to the previous state of tune which made me open my wallet and heart for the car.

Remap is not what you are looking for. You wish to rollback to previous version. I don't think VW would help you in this. I know few tuners who can do this. But, I have heard that it's not possible in all cars. Contact these 2 tuners and see if it is possible.

1. https://www.facebook.com/Etuners-Mot...1711105125774/

2. https://www.facebook.com/gttunerz/

Doing remap will give you more power and torque. You are not looking for it. Even if you want to remap, rollback to previous version and the tuner should work on that file.

What are the remap options available for XUV500, I tried searching but couldn't find much. Looks like RD dual channel seems to be the only popular options available. Experts, please advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saurabhkum (Post 4384607)
What are the remap options available for XUV500, I tried searching but couldn't find much. Looks like RD dual channel seems to be the only popular options available. Experts, please advice.

XUV 500 can be remapped. But it's little complicated ECU. Most of the tuners don't touch it. I would say RD dual channel box is a better option here :).

Hi Doc,

Which India remap company(s) would you choose to remap a Mahindra Thar? (2013)
From a standing start and going up steep hills, it's a dog. Need low end grunt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Naren (Post 4384610)
XUV 500 can be remapped. But it's little complicated ECU. Most of the tuners don't touch it.

Any reason for this? Why is it considered complicated? Would be interesting to know the reason.

Spike

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 4384951)

I have not driven any remapped Thar till date. But, I follow all the tuners in social media. Based on that I would suggest as

1. GT Tunerz / Quantum UK
2. T8 Performance tuning
3. Code 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR (Post 4384977)
Any reason for this? Why is it considered complicated? Would be interesting to know the reason.

The ECU has to be opened to read and write the files. But that is not the challenge. To establish connection with ECU, 4 or 5 pins from the processor should be soldered. Time consuming and needs skill. I know one of the famous tuner in Bangalore who bricked XUV 500 ECU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Naren (Post 4384991)
The ECU has to be opened to read and write the files. But that is not the challenge. To establish connection with ECU, 4 or 5 pins from the processor should be soldered. Time consuming and needs skill. I know one of the famous tuner in Bangalore who bricked XUV 500 ECU.

Which ECU generation is that? Never heard something like this. What is the "standard" procedure for other ECU's?

Spike

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR (Post 4384995)
Which ECU generation is that?

Bosch EDC17C63

Quote:

Never heard something like this. What is the "standard" procedure for other ECU's?
I am talking about establishing connection with after market tuning tools. They basically hack into OE system. To bypass the TPROT, ECU has to be put in boot mode. The after market tuning tools have different type of connections depending on the ECU. For example even my S-Cross has EDC17 ECU. But we need to connect the probe to only boot pin on the board, rest of the connections are done outside the ECU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Naren (Post 4384998)
Bosch EDC17C63

To bypass the TPROT, ECU has to be put in boot mode. The after market tuning tools have different type of connections depending on the ECU. For example even my S-Cross has EDC17 ECU. But we need to connect the probe to only boot pin on the board, rest of the connections are done outside the ECU.

Ok, I don't know what they do in the aftermarket scene and how they do it. But still cannot somehow understand why would they do it, considering the ECU is from a "similar" generation, maybe the pin configuration differs significantly. Anyways, thank you for the info.:thumbs up

Spike

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR (Post 4385001)
Ok, I don't know what they do in the aftermarket scene and how they do it.

I too don't have much knowledge. There are around 10 tool manufacturers in the world. They work on different ECU, bypass tuning protection etc and establish protocols to read and write. Communication by OBD port is very easy. But, these tool manufacturers are not able to develop OBD protocols for all the ECU.

Quote:

But still cannot somehow understand why would they do it, considering the ECU is from a "similar" generation, maybe the pin configuration differs significantly.
There are many versions in EDC17 itself. Yes they do differ significantly :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 4384951)
Hi Doc,

For Thar I had done a fair bit of research and best I found was Code 6. Stage 2 with EGR block plate, Catalystic Converter removal, replace one bit of turbo plumbing to SS (or it gets pinched under load) and BMC airfilter. Car was a hoot to drive when I had it and the new owner also messages me once in a while, with a huge grin. I have another 2 friends having vehicles running same configuration with large tyres and are quiet happy with low end compensation.