Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2022, 15:25   #1081
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Fuel Additives Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
I have little doubt if this is genuine as the quantity in a bottle is almost 10 ml more as per the marking on the bottle.

Any better way to measure 30-40 ml.
Get another bottle from another bunk, and check the label + smell of contents.

Regarding quantity, a rough measure is fine. We dont have to be precise here. A little less, a little more wont make much of difference. I myself add about 30-32 ml for my regular 40-42 litre fill up.

Also, the measurement is where System-D scores over Addon-D. The liquid needs to be pushed out from the bottom into a small compartment at the top, and then poured in into the tank.

Another tip: Add the additive after filling. This helps avoid the frothiness that comes when we add the additive first. For me, I do a top-up than auto-cut-off, and this way I know that all the additive goes into the diesel, and nothing remains in the neck of the tank.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 18:57   #1082
Senior - BHPian

My Mini Cooper S (2012 Model) prefers higher Octane Petrol. The minimum acceptable Octane level one should use is 91 Octane as per the flap of the petrol tank lid. So I used to use Speed from BPCL - normal Speed, Speed 93 and Speed 97 when I could get them. Plus a bottle of STP Octane Booster Juice as pictured below in every tank ful.
Over the last few months Ive been using IOCL XP95 and once in a while IOCL XP100 as a treat for the car. I still add a bottle of the same STP Octane Booster Juice. The car seems to like it. So Im also happy.

Since the car can accept a max of 10% Ethanol as can be seen, I worry deeply about when our terrorist government with its draconian and ill considered and uncaring rules and regulations, may mandate the 20% ethanol mix so as to placate the sugar cane lobby and ensure their feudal votes.
My poor cars may not survive such an evil onslaught.
Attached Thumbnails
The Fuel Additives Thread-f528c036ab5f42e3b79e472b115bc17c.jpeg  

The Fuel Additives Thread-b4832652d310430bb29633d3e0028031.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th July 2022 at 18:59.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 18:47   #1083

Hello guys,
My elder brother used to import oils for industrial supply pre covid and his US counterpart had sent him diesel additives as a sample (10 litres) as they wanted to expand that market but my brother was not keen to get into the retail market hence that remained with him for about 2 years. We did not have a diesel vehicle as well to consume it in house. Last year my mama bought a diesel Sonet and I purchased a diesel Sonet last month.

We have been using this additive since an year and I have also started using it in my new vehicle. Sadly this oil is not available for retail sale but trust me it’s really really good. Increases FE by a margin.

Diesel additives from IOCL and others work wonders too. Need to use it in ever fill up religiously. We never know what is the quality of fuel that’s going in. Yes, we ensure we fill up at right CO pumps but during long travels it may not be possible to ensure quality.

Always buy from quality companies like IOCL etc and use in recommended proportion only. Have a safe trip everyone.
muglikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 23:39   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post

I have little doubt if this is genuine as the quantity in a bottle is almost 10 ml more as per the marking on the bottle. Also, P bottle feels genuine in comparison. Notice the liquid level in the picture below.
Update on this purchase: it was genuine. I have a positive outcome to share.

I did two full tanks and still had some left over, which I lost on a trip to Pune.*
The first use did not really make any difference. I visited Ooty with my first full tank having Addon-D added.

The next full tank with Addon-D was done on the return leg of the Ooty trip near Bangalore, and this is when I started feeling the difference. Next week, I started my journey to Ratnagiri with the same fuel in the tank and I could feel the difference in engine sound, response and MID indicated mileage.

I travelled to Ratnagiri, Pune, Lonavala, Mahabaleshwar, Pune, Solapur, Bijapur and returned to Bangalore. I have never got mileage of more than 20 kmpl with my kind of driving and that too after covering a good number of ghat roads.

On this trip, MID indicated 21.7 kmpl for a total of 2758 KM.*
The top end noise has come down a bit, and the idle and low rev sound has also been reduced.

These are good changes, and I did not even use the full bottle.

I will buy this again in a few months.
The Fuel Additives Thread-20220824_130845.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Another tip: Add the additive after filling. This helps avoid the frothiness that comes when we add the additive first. For me, I do a top-up than auto-cut-off, and this way I know that all the additive goes into the diesel, and nothing remains in the neck of the tank.
This is helpful, I did not remember at first use but remembered as soon as forth started coming out from fuel tank .
KumarS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 19:17   #1085
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone used Bardahl brand of additive? Am at Pollachi and only one shop had an additive and they only had this brand. Told me it's a fast moving one for diesel cars.

Price quoted was 440/- for a 200 ml bottle.

And for brands like the Wurth, LiquiMoly etc, the online prices seem to be the best and probably can't be matched on retail shops.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th December 2022 at 19:19.
Old 25th December 2022, 19:32   #1086

Hello everyone, I come from a town in the northeast that depends on a single petrol pump for it's fuel and sadly it doesn't sell premium petrol. Recently I got a kushaq 1.0 TSI and I was told by a friend (fellow bhpian) that Kushaq's infamous EPC error could be avoided if I used premium petrol. When I explained my situation he suggested fuel additives as an alternative, said it may also reduce typical 3 cylinder engine clatter. He has a polo TDI, said it definitely improved his engine's NV albeit over a period of time. My question is , how accurate is he? If he is then where can I get a good fuel additive for my car? Any suggestions?
Old 28th December 2022, 19:37   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranjan1983 View Post
Hello everyone, I come from a town in the northeast that depends on a single petrol pump for it's fuel and sadly it doesn't sell premium petrol. Recently I got a kushaq 1.0 TSI and I was told by a friend (fellow bhpian) that Kushaq's infamous EPC error could be avoided if I used premium petrol. When I explained my situation he suggested fuel additives as an alternative, said it may also reduce typical 3 cylinder engine clatter. He has a polo TDI, said it definitely improved his engine's NV albeit over a period of time. My question is , how accurate is he? If he is then where can I get a good fuel additive for my car? Any suggestions?
Can't say much about the technical aspect of your query but both Addon P from Indian Oil and System G from BP are good additives that are priced well and effective. Should be enough to make regular petrol similar to premium
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 11:11   #1088

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranjan1983 View Post
I use diesel additives in every 3000 KMs or so. Felt a clear difference in engine noise and smoothness when I used it for the first time. Looks like now a days I got used to it.

Additives claims to improve the fuel quality and removes moisture from fuel system. Believing these claims to be true, whenever I was forced to fill from a not so popular remote pumps I will add additives as well.

The premium fuels like Shell V-Power are just normal fuel with add additives.

I personally have no experience in maintaining a petrol engine so can't comment on the same.

There are many additives CLAIMING to improve the fuel quality and boost octane numbers in the market like Liqui Moly, STP etc. Even VW also sells VW branded petrol additives.

Please have a word with VW service engineers before proceeding.
livewire13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 10:45   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Am at Pollachi and only one shop had an additive and they only had this brand.
, the online prices seem to be the best and probably can't be matched on retail shops.
I used to use liqui moly additive in my Yeti when I had it.
One bottle every couple of tankfuls just to keep things in good nick.
No complaints.
See picture attached.
Its expensive now. But best bought on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
The Fuel Additives Thread-d0125eeb978d455dbd1c5ec956444af4.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 08:49   #1090

Folks, I have been looking for a way to source Servo Adon D for my S-cross.

Read here
<https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/176104-my-maruti-s-cross-1-6l-alpha-stage-3-wolf-202-hp-438-nm-edit-6-years-1-lakh-kms-up-22.html#post4310607>
that it is a Vfm product.

Have been asking around in IOCL pumps in Chennai and it has not been helpful. Online availability too is a question mark. Any suggestions?
Old 28th February 2023, 09:50   #1091
BHPian

Hi all,

What's the best diesel additive to clean the injectors?
The reason I'm asking is my 2019 Harrier has started shaking/rocking at idle (this is very random & infrequent), which goes away if I give a quick dab on the A-pedal. Quick guess is that the injector(s) may be on the verge of getting clogged.

So thought of trying injector cleaner additive.
But since this is my first diesel, I wanted to get advise from the experts here.

Can someone please suggest a good injector cleaner for diesel (safer for Harrier BS4)?

Thanks in advance!

Before
Old 3rd March 2023, 23:56   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Hi all,

The reason I'm asking is my 2019 Harrier has started shaking/rocking at idle (this is very random & infrequent), which goes away if I give a quick dab on the A-pedal. Quick guess is that the injector(s) may be on the verge of getting clogged.

So thought of trying injector cleaner additive.
But since this is my first diesel, I wanted to get advise from the experts here.

Can someone please suggest a good injector cleaner for diesel (safer for Harrier BS4)?

Thanks in advance!

Before
Go with LiquiMoly available on Amazon.

System D & Addon D are available BP and Indian Oil and are also decent options at slightly lower cost. You could use LiquiMoly for the initial cleaning and to see if it makes a difference and if successful you can use the others for periodic maintenance every alternate tank full
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 15:42   #1093
BHPian

My Safari Storme was suffering from injector knocking.

After using one full box of IOCL Adon-D, the noise went away. It took around an year of diligent use. I would often forget to add it while refueling.

After I ran out of Adon-D, I gave up, but within a few weeks the injector noise vanished. I used to get around 9.8kmpl in the city earlier.

Will report mileage after cleanup soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Hi all,

The reason I'm asking is my 2019 Harrier has started shaking/rocking
What is the odometer reading?
I think it's your motor mounts and nothing to do with the injectors, yet.

Nonetheless, you can use IOCL Adon-D as a precaution. There is a lower dosage you can use for prevention, and a higher dosage for clogged/knocking injectors.

You will find dosage instructions on the box.

Last edited by viXit : 5th March 2023 at 15:44.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 11:04   #1094
BHPian

It's around 60K. I don't think it could be the mounts, because the problem is very very infrequent (like once in a month or so).
If it were the mounts, wouldn't the engine shake always?

Anyways, I did use the Liqui Moly Super Diesel Additive & went on for a longish trip (~400 km).
The mileage did improve a bit, but since the engine shaking/rocking is very infrequent, I'm going to wait a month or so before concluding anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
What is the odometer reading?
I think it's your motor mounts and nothing to do with the injectors, yet.
Old 13th March 2023, 19:14   #1095
BHPian

Has anybody started using fuel additives on BS6 diesels? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks