Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 22:15   #751
BHPian

Re: The single BEST fuel additive: 1 for Diesel and 1 for Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Rather than the FE improvement, the engine runs smoother. I do not remember the quantum by which the FE went up. There was some improvement.
Thank you for your response! I have ordered it on Amazon now, and am planning to use it as soon as it arrives.

I read from people's posts here that it should be 200 ML of Liqui Moly to 50 litres of diesel, but my Punto's fuel tank is only 45 litres.
Is it safe to use the whole 200 ML of Liqui Moly in 45 litres of diesel? Has anyone tried this before? Is there a minimum distance we need to drive after adding this in the fuel tank?

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 8th February 2017 at 22:18. Reason: Adding one more question
Old 9th February 2017, 11:08   #752
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Fuel Additives Thread

@Joxster; I do not see any issue. Just hold about 10% ie 20 ml back. Hardly matters if it is 15 or 25-30ml.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 14:43   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Joxster; I do not see any issue. Just hold about 10% ie 20 ml back. Hardly matters if it is 15 or 25-30ml.
Thank you for clarifying sir! My last question remains unanswered however . Is there a minimum distance I need to drive after adding the Liqui Moly into my diesel tank?

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 15:18   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Thank you for clarifying sir! My last question remains unanswered however . Is there a minimum distance I need to drive after adding the Liqui Moly into my diesel tank?
I do not think I am qualified to answer that one. My own guess is that this may not be that significant, since the stuff is going in through the fuel route.If it was being added to the sump then the duration / distance will be more important.
Old 10th February 2017, 15:03   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post

Cheers
For any fuel additive, injector cleaner, fuel system cleaner etc. to be effective, you need to actually make them run through the entire system at constant pace.

Since you are from same city as I am, you should be able to relate to what I am saying next. Say you filled your tank with additive or cleaner at CyberPearl IOC petrol bunk at Hitec City. For it to show its effectiveness, a good pace trip from Gachibowli to Airport through ORR is sufficient.

Hope this helps.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 15:32   #756
Senior - BHPian

I just loaded 16,000 MT of Gasoline (Petrol) and we added around 3000 litres of this additive. Attaching a copy of the MSDS for the information of those who wish to know what exactly these additives are.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MSDSHFA_2072GB).pdf (78.6 KB, 2047 views)
pedrolourenco is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 17:24   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
For any fuel additive, injector cleaner, fuel system cleaner etc. to be effective, you need to actually make them run through the entire system at constant pace.

Since you are from same city as I am, you should be able to relate to what I am saying next. Say you filled your tank with additive or cleaner at CyberPearl IOC petrol bunk at Hitec City. For it to show its effectiveness, a good pace trip from Gachibowli to Airport through ORR is sufficient.

Hope this helps.
This definitely helps! Thank you!

I will update the differences that I find with my engine post using this product.

Cheers
Old 10th February 2017, 18:20   #758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I just loaded 16,000 MT of Gasoline (Petrol) and we added around 3000 litres of this additive. Attaching a copy of the MSDS for the information of those who wish to know what exactly these additives are.
An explanation will help here. The attached sheet is a data sheet. Context, product common name, your usage, benefits etc will help
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 20:47   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
An explanation will help here. The attached sheet is a data sheet. Context, product common name, your usage, benefits etc will help
I'm just the transporter of the fuel (it's quite difficult for me to use such a large quantity). The additive is basically an Octane booster. It was added to the fuel to get the Octane rating up to the customers requirement.
pedrolourenco is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 21:45   #760
Senior - BHPian

The additive contains Xylene as I suspected. Its quite popular along with Toluene as an octane booster and is often added to race fuel.

I have been adding some xylene to my car along with acetone as I read that while acetone helps in atomising the fuel better it drops the octane levels a bit so my mix is 1:1 ratio of acetone to xylene and I add this mix to my tank at 2ml per litre of petrol. Results are pretty much the same as plain acetone, so then I read up and apparently xylene is added to fuel in approx 1:10 to 1:5 ratios, basically to get from your fuels octane rating up to the desired octane rating.

Is there a cheap source of xylene ? In the US and UK its available in bulk as a paint stripper so its quite cheap. I got mine in a 500ml bottle from the chemical market and it was quite expensive. Im sure it will be available in the regular market if we can figure out the "Local Name"
Old 12th February 2017, 21:53   #761
BHPian

Has anybody tried Stanadyne's Performance Diesel Injector Cleaner?

I have noticed restrained performance of my car's engine lately. It is a 2010 VW Vento 1.6 TDI.

Since these engines are notorious for high rates of fuel injector failures, a fuel additive actually causing failures is, of course, not something I would want. Would it be safe to try out this product, considering that?

Last edited by halfbytecode : 12th February 2017 at 22:21.
Old 13th February 2017, 13:31   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
The additive contains Xylene as I suspected. Its quite popular along with Toluene as an octane booster and is often added to race fuel.

I have been adding some xylene to my car along with acetone as I read that while acetone helps in atomising the fuel better it drops the octane levels a bit so my mix is 1:1 ratio of acetone to xylene and I add this mix to my tank at 2ml per litre of petrol. Results are pretty much the same as plain acetone, so then I read up and apparently xylene is added to fuel in approx 1:10 to 1:5 ratios, basically to get from your fuels octane rating up to the desired octane rating.

Is there a cheap source of xylene ? In the US and UK its available in bulk as a paint stripper so its quite cheap. I got mine in a 500ml bottle from the chemical market and it was quite expensive. Im sure it will be available in the regular market if we can figure out the "Local Name"

True, but its not that simple. Most of the time, Xylene & Toluene that we get in Indian market are not usable in their existent form. They are either industrial or lab grade products. One time I was recommended to use paint thinner in my bike (I luckily did not use it), which a friend tried and ended up with blown seal and seized engine.

The mass marketed products (India) have Xylene and Toluene and derivatives (processed) that either increase the Octane number or bind with residues (incase of cleaners) and make them less gummy to be burnt.

Remember the Boric acid craze with bikers few years back. Some may swear by it and others will just pass it as snake oil tactic.

Be cautious in Indian market scenario especially chemicals.
Old 15th February 2017, 14:12   #763
BHPian

I recently got my hands on the Abro Injector Cleaner (Diesel) for my Ecosport TDCI.

On Amazon it had acceptable reviews and a good price ~ INR 220

The car has done 33K and runs without any issue. The only nitpicking I could do was it used to send some jerks in the cabin in case of sudden acceleration.

The instructions said to use a 1% mixture.

So after a full tank (~50L) I waited for the car to run for about 225 kms (usual efficiency is between 14-15 KMPL in BLR city traffic) and poured the entire bottle at night.

The next morning while cranking the car i felt the idle was smoother.

Within 20 kms of driving I could feel a noticeable drop in the typical diesel noise and vibration and it feels a step closer to petrol now (Ecosport TDCI anyways does not sound half as bad as Honda diesels).

I certainly don't feel an increase in power - just better overall refinement.

The jerks while sudden acceleration are almost gone.

So, I would say good for the money. Just don't expect huge power or acceleration gains.

Any elaborate experiences from Liqui Molly Diesel additive that folks can share? I am yet to check if there is any impact on the FE numbers.
srvshaun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 17:34   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvshaun View Post
I recently got my hands on the Abro Injector Cleaner (Diesel) for my Ecosport TDCI.

On Amazon it had acceptable reviews and a good price ~ INR 220
Absolutely, and I vouch for it (ABRO). I got the black petrol version : 2 for a ridiculously low amount. It is made in the USA.

I used to feel a wee bit of hesitation and shudder while releasing the clutch in first or while recovering from a slowdown over a speed-bump in second gear in my Punto 1.2. Within the first 50 kilometers, it is all gone and there is a definite smoothness that I can feel. The first tankful is still to be exhausted but the second bottle will be used after one/two normal fuel ups to conclude that it's not placebo effect I am falling for . Or maybe one shot is good for some 5000-6000kms. Don't know. Need to experiment.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 24th February 2017 at 17:35.
Old 24th February 2017, 21:11   #765
BHPian

As mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread, I experimented with the STP injector cleaner - full bottle to tankful - Ecosport TDCi. Immediately afterwards I went to a road trip to Lucknow. (Tankfull was for the same purpose). Few things I noticed:
  • Engine is silent like a petrol now, on idle.
  • Mileage Achiever - 24.5 KMPL (From the standard 22kmpl on the same route).
  • Smoother acceleration.
  • No black smoke on hard acceleration.
  • Zero Clatter in cold start.
BB311 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks