Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2016, 22:41   #676

re: The fuel additives thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
Yet to understand the point why people would want to pour it themselves when you anyways get it readily available at the petrol bunk near you (atleast we do in Delhi). But then, to each, his own.
One thing I noticed from using System G and System 2/3 (as I use them on my motorbikes) is that their shelf life is not that good. Also exposing them to high temperatures can change their nature.

It happened at least a couple of times that I left this additive in the car for months and I found some kind of black powdery sediment that ha d formed inside the container. I had to discard them as I didn't want to risk the injectors. So it is advisable to carry it only when filling up petrol.

Also, the guys at the petrol bunks don't care what they pour into our fuel tanks. If there's something amiss your fuel system could be compromised. Due diligence is therefore recommended.

Nothing wrong in stretching your legs a bit to see what they're up to. But you're right we have to be weary with these chemicals especially when administering them ourselves.
jana_jr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 21:41   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yet to understand the point why people would want to pour it themselves when you anyways get it readily available at the petrol bunk near you (atleast we do in Delhi).
Not all bunks carry the additives. Also, a person may want to used a specific brand of additive.
Example - I am currently trying Adon-P with HP petrol. Additive from one place, at a bunk that does not carry additives.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 08:25   #678
BANNED

Guys,

While filling up diesel at my regular pump that I have been visiting since 4 years (Indial Oil), noticed the pouches of Adon-D hung near the fuel dispenser unit.

Casually, I asked the guy whether we get the same in bottles rather than pouches? He replied A Yes. I asked what is the price per bottle? He said it is Rs 160.

So I bought one to try on my car and then decide the further purchases.

The Fuel Additives Thread-img_20160127_075646horz.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 08:51   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Yet to understand the point why people would want to pour it themselves when you anyways get it readily available at the petrol bunk near you (atleast we do in Delhi). But then, to each, his own.
I think you are mentioning to filling moped (not even Motorcycle) with that quantity. It hardly does anything beneficial at that quantity or noticeable change in a motorcycle.

For car, forget it. Good luck finding a person who has the patience to open every single sachet and pouring it in for the quantity of fuel.

Bottles work best for car owners. Quantity in sachet will not even wet the inlet tube of fuel tank, leave alone doing anything good for the engine or the fuel pump.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 16:31   #680

Re: The fuel additives thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
I think you are mentioning to filling moped (not even Motorcycle) with that quantity. It hardly does anything beneficial at that quantity or noticeable change in a motorcycle.

For car, forget it. Good luck finding a person who has the patience to open every single sachet and pouring it in for the quantity of fuel.

Bottles work best for car owners. Quantity in sachet will not even wet the inlet tube of fuel tank, leave alone doing anything good for the engine or the fuel pump.
I must say that you're probably misinformed. The usual filling amount for cars is 1ml per litre and for two wheelers 2ml per litre. And the word from the experts is you will see a notable difference after two tank fills. But if your injectors or carburetors are already in bad shape (and needs tuning) this additive isnt going to make any difference.

I havent used the sachets but I'm told they cost about 10 bucks for a 40ml sachet which is good for 40 litres of petrol for cars.

See link to Addon,

http://neopetconindia.com/pro_ServoAddonP.html
Old 28th January 2016, 17:53   #681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Casually, I asked the guy whether we get the same in bottles rather than pouches?
bottles are more convinient. Good that the larger bottles are available.

Quote:
Good luck finding a person who has the patience to open every single sachet and pouring it in for the quantity of fuel.
remember two wheelers and the 2t oil pouches and how they used to add oil to the petrol ? well, the bunk attendants are quite familiar with the technique, and they do it quite easily.
Old 29th January 2016, 09:50   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana_jr View Post
I must say that you're probably misinformed. The usual filling amount for cars is 1ml per litre and for two wheelers 2ml per litre. And the word from the experts is you will see a notable difference after two tank fills. But if your injectors or carburetors are already in bad shape (and needs tuning) this additive isnt going to make any difference.

I havent used the sachets but I'm told they cost about 10 bucks for a 40ml sachet which is good for 40 litres of petrol for cars.

See link to Addon,

http://neopetconindia.com/pro_ServoAddonP.html
I respectfully disagree with you jana_jr. I am well aware of the quantity mentioned on the pouches and on the bottle and in their website. Been a user of other products also. So need no intervention.

Try it yourself and let me know what difference you see from the quantity mentioned. Only factor that can make a difference is that the fuel quality at your end may be better than what we get here. I have used both on my motorcycle"s" and my car. 1mL / liter is just underplaying. Its just too little for too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
bottles are more convinient. Good that the larger bottles are available.

remember two wheelers and the 2t oil pouches and how they used to add oil to the petrol ? well, the bunk attendants are quite familiar with the technique, and they do it quite easily.
Well they do. But its way too less a quantity to bring any significant change under normal conditions. Fuel fouling will render this quantity over a week's time useless. 2T oils are much heavier and thicker when compared to Adon product. This is nothing more than a potent concoction. The rate of dispersal and its specific gravity is very close to the fuel itself. So, the quantity mentioned in my humble opinion is too less. I too followed "standards" mentioned, but it just doesn't cut the cheese and give me a visible improvement.
Old 29th January 2016, 10:19   #683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. Fuel fouling will render this quantity over a week's time useless. ... This is nothing more than a potent concoction. So, the quantity mentioned in my humble opinion is too less. I too followed "standards" mentioned, but it just doesn't cut the cheese and give me a visible improvement.
If you dont like it, dont use it .. Simple ! Or if you want to, use it your way. No need for anyone to go the other way.

Quote:
The rate of dispersal and its specific gravity is very close to the fuel itself.
By design.
Old 29th January 2016, 10:31   #684
BHPian

Quote:
If you dont like it, dont use it .. Simple ! Or if you want to, use it your way. No need for anyone to go the other way.

By design.
Sure. Lets agree to disagree on this then. A healthy discussion indeed.
Old 29th January 2016, 14:32   #685

Quote:
I respectfully disagree with you jana_jr. I am well aware of the quantity mentioned on the pouches and on the bottle and in their website. Been a user of other products also. So need no intervention.

Try it yourself and let me know what difference you see from the quantity mentioned. Only factor that can make a difference is that the fuel quality at your end may be better than what we get here. I have used both on my motorcycle"s" and my car. 1mL / liter is just underplaying. Its just too little for too much.

Well they do. But its way too less a quantity to bring any significant change under normal conditions. Fuel fouling will render this quantity over a week's time useless.
Its OK to disagree prithm and I see why you do. No product has worked for all of us in unison. I have used Iftex, Addon and Wurth on 3 different cars viz Fiat Palio 1.2ELX, Opel Corsa 1.4 Gsi and Mitsubishi Lancer LEi 1.5 over 8 years and I did see a huge difference in the engine cranking, mileage and throttle etc.

The primary idea of this additive is to clean up the injectors but only gradually - a non-invasive way as opposed to cleaning up the injectors manually. But if the fuel quality is bad you're unlikely to see any tangible performance improvements except for saving yourself of a fuel system compromise.

This additive isn't going to help much with bad fuel quality. So for your case the best thing would be to frequently cleanup carburetors/injectors, and throttle bodies regularly.

Quote:
2T oils are much heavier and thicker when compared to Adon product. This is nothing more than a potent concoction. The rate of dispersal and its specific gravity is very close to the fuel itself. So, the quantity mentioned in my humble opinion is too less. I too followed "standards" mentioned, but it just doesn't cut the cheese and give me a visible improvement.
The 2T oils come into play at the time of combustion not before and these additives complete their job well ahead.
jana_jr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 23:41   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 2T oils come into play at the time of combustion not before and these additives complete their job well ahead.
Some, like the ELF EMDFA-200 are also said to boost the Cetane number. This would help in the combustion cycle, and resultant release of energy. I am hoping that the ADON-D has this benefit.
Old 1st February 2016, 19:38   #687

Quote:
Some, like the ELF EMDFA-200 are also said to boost the Cetane number. This would help in the combustion cycle, and resultant release of energy. I am hoping that the ADON-D has this benefit.
Did you mean Octane? Because I know of some fuel additives from Wurth which can boost the Octane in fuel. If my memory serves right they even sell a wholesome Octane Booster. The only downside being cost. I have only used a Wurth Fuel Additive but not their Octane Booster.

However, I dont think you'd get any of that in Addon or Iftex.
Old 1st February 2016, 19:56   #688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did you mean Octane?
Cetane is to diesel, what Octane is to Petrol.

The point in my post was from product literature - as on the packing of the product.
Old 1st February 2016, 20:18   #689

Quote:
Well they do. But its way too less a quantity to bring any significant change under normal conditions. Fuel fouling will render this quantity over a week's time useless. 2T oils are much heavier and thicker when compared to Adon product. This is nothing more than a potent concoction. The rate of dispersal and its specific gravity is very close to the fuel itself. So, the quantity mentioned in my humble opinion is too less. I too followed "standards" mentioned, but it just doesn't cut the cheese and give me a visible improvement.
From enquiring, I came across a "Wurth Fuel Injector & Valve Cleaner" which could help with your bad fuel problems. Again cost may not be as low as Addon, but I think in your case it will be worth it. A mechanic who (has worked on cars in both Dubai and Singapore for 15 years out of a total of 25 years) suggested that this cleaner is very effective and he said that they had used on them cars that they had serviced in Chennai as the fuel quality is not upto the mark more often. He also said that it was difficult for them to source it.

Maybe, you could give it a try and search it in the auto bazaars of Hyderabad in the same way I found the Wurth additive I used in the auto bazaar a.k.a G.P. Road in Chennai. Good luck

Quote:
Cetane is to diesel, what Octane is to Petrol.

The point in my post was from product literature - as on the packing of the product.
OK. Not sure about the diesels. My memory is quite hazy on what I read about the diesel additives but I think I saw an additive for the Common Rail engines in their catalogue. Not sure if this is indeed available in India. But I will be visiting this shop I go for additives and I will let you know what I find out.

Last edited by Eddy : 1st February 2016 at 21:36. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:58   #690
BHPian

Although I bought a dual pack of IFTEX System D I was not sure what does Hyundai recommend for its cars, especially CRDI Engines.

I got this doubt basically on a crooked comparison

IFTEX sells the regular use "Clean System D" and the periodic (service interval) use "Clean System D Extra"

The IFTEX website says the following:
IFTEX Clean System D is a premium multifunctional diesel fuel additive, with outstanding clean-up and keep-clean properties. Most convenient to use by adding to the fuel tank in the recommended proportion. Designed to keep the fuel system free of performance inhibiting deposits.
  • Recommended for all modern diesel engines operating under high driving stress.
  • Recommended for all vehicles equipped with direct or indirect injection fuel systems.
=> missing mentioning CRDI engines.

IFTEX Clean System D Extra is a premium concentrated multifunctional diesel fuel additive, with outstanding clean-up and keep-clean properties. Designed to keep the entire fuel system free of performance inhibiting deposits in one tank. Most convenient to use by adding to the fuel tank in the recommended proportion.
  • Recommended for all modern diesel engines operating under high driving stress.
  • Recommended for all vehicles equipped with direct, indirect and CRDI injection fuel systems.
Now, this could be a mistake on the website. But that led me to know what does Hyundai say on this and found a Hyundai customer care page on fuel additive:

FYI: Hyundai Car Owners
http://www.customercare.hyundai.co.i...itives-24.aspx

For Diesel, Bardahl's Diesel Combustion Improver and 3M's Fuel Tank additive are recommended. I hope they are aware they are recommending this to present diesel cars from hyundai which are CRDI (don't think if they sell any other!). Further, there is also recommendation information on Engine Oil Additive, Transmission Additives, Radiator Additives, Cooling System Additives as well.

Now trying to source Bardahl additives. Unfortunately, with regard to specs, usage details, even HOEC Bardahl india website doesn't seem to give details. http://hoecbardahl.com/

My opinion: And further there are just too many products in their portfolio that as a consumer it is so confusing what is recommended to use, when, how often.. So i will go try them on demand basis, i.e. if I see symptoms of knocking or low performance, I would go for the "treatment" products.

Most Viewed