Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2024, 18:59   #571
BHPian

Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
However, I sometimes face a shudder when going at extremely slow speeds in the 1st gear (like in crawling traffic). This happens during half clutch only, and once the vehicle picks up speed, everything is perfect. It can happen either when starting from cold state, or can happen after driving for a long time - so I don't see a pattern that can be attributed to "heating" of the clutch plates.
Exactly similar observation but in my case the components replaced were clutch plate, pressure plate, flywheel and slave cylinder.

The vehicle is Vitara Brezza Petrol Jan-21 registered and run 9,270 kms when bought in Dec'23. It has hydraulic clutch with current odo at 19,900 km and clutch replacement at 16.5k.

There was screeching noise like worn out V belt kind and the gear shift showed little hesitation. This was diagnosed to faulty slave cylinder but the NEXA technician assured us that nothing will go wrong and to continue to use it.

Lo and behold, while outstation, the screeching noise turned into terrible metallic rubbing kind of noise.

About clutch wear & replacement-20240522_104645.jpg
Brake oil leaking

About clutch wear & replacement-20240522_113947.jpg
This was the state when tranny was removed

About clutch wear & replacement-20240522_113951.jpg
Soaked in brake oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Bleeding the clutch line will definitely help, do it first. If the problem reoccurs, one of the two components is bad and will need replacing. Its almost always the slave cylinder that goes bad - master cylinder going bad is not common.
The SA insisted on replacing flywheel, even when it was observed to be in good condition, just to prevent the slippage of new clutch, the system was bled as per him.

I can go all guns blazing at him and get the entire set replaced again by involving Maruti but is it worth the time and energy to go this route. By the way the vehicle is in extended warranty till Dec-25 but clutch slave cylinder is not covered by extended warranty.

Any input for troubleshooting and getting this fixed, before going berserk. The gear shifts have become better but not typical Maruti effortless kind. We had Baleno petrol manual from Oct'16 to Dec'23 and it also had it's release bearing replaced in warranty and performed flawlessly except some slippage during winters at around 90k on original clutch.

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th August 2024, 22:52   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhuvan View Post
Any input for troubleshooting and getting this fixed, before going berserk. The gear shifts have become better but not typical Maruti effortless kind. We had Baleno petrol manual from Oct'16 to Dec'23 and it also had it's release bearing replaced in warranty and performed flawlessly except some slippage during winters at around 90k on original clutch.
This is a clutch centering/alignment issue. No matter how many ever times you replace flywheel/pressure plate/clutch plate. If these things are not centered/aligned correctly, they will eventually fail. Usually what happens is, many people will change clutch set, bearing, and cable as well, but the most important is whether all these things are correctly aligned.

I had a clutch burn in 1000kms and in a day when I did Bangalore - Goa -Bangalore.

Whenever they are installing, spare some time and check if they are using the centering tool. Hopefully this can be an answer, after you have replaced most of the things. An example of a burnt clutch due to misalignment. Picture here:
About clutch wear & replacement-clutch-burn-fabia-1.jpg

About clutch wear & replacement-clutch-burn-fabia-2.jpg

About clutch wear & replacement-clutch-burn-fabia-3.jpg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th September 2024 at 13:31. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Bsilver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 09:00   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Our Wagon R is nearly 12 and a half years old currently at 63xxx kms. The clutch assembly was replaced at around 43xxx kms. This is primarily driven by my driver, running is short spans of around 3 kms one way which takes anywhere between 15 minutes to over an hour depending on traffic jams.

I had the opportunity of driving it yesterday for some work at night. The car couldn't climb a small incline with 3 adults and 2 kids. It just stalled and rolled back! I also felt that there is not enough grunt in the engine. The engine just died down. I had to rev hard to make it move. Then I noticed that the car needs more throttle input to start from standstill. It was better a few weeks back.

My question is, is this issue related to the clutch or something is amiss with the engine? There is no white or black smoke out of tailpipe. The fluids are also maintained. The efficiency has definitely gone down to around 6-6.5 kmpl during summers. The car is regularly serviced by MASS with last one done in May.
Old 3rd September 2024, 12:57   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The car couldn't climb a small incline with 3 adults and 2 kids. It just stalled and rolled back! I also felt that there is not enough grunt in the engine. The engine just died down. I had to rev hard to make it move. Then I noticed that the car needs more throttle input to start from standstill. It was better a few weeks back.
The signs that you have mentioned indicate to worn out clutch.

Also notice if the bite point is high, this will conclude the clutch being worn out.

Off-Topic: A friend in family business has MS Wagon R 2016 for common use in family. The car has run 1 lakh plus and was on 11th clutch set and probably 25th-26th rear bumper, thanks to his uncle. He always keeps spare rear unpainted bumper in his garage.
Old 13th September 2024, 08:06   #575
BHPian

Quote:
As updated previously, my clutch was replaced a few months ago due to slippage, and now there is absolutely no slippage. There is no issue in slotting the gears too.

However, I sometimes face a shudder when going at extremely slow speeds in the 1st gear (like in crawling traffic). This happens during half clutch only, and once the vehicle picks up speed, everything is perfect. It can happen either when starting from cold state, or can happen after driving for a long time - so I don't see a pattern that can be attributed to "heating" of the clutch plates.

The key word here is "sometimes". When this problem does happen intermittently, I have noticed that the clutch pedal feels a bit "grainy" or "sandy", and not perfectly smooth.

Could this be a bad master cylinder? Or bad slave cylinder? Or both? These were not replaced when the clutch was replaced.

Or, could it just be air in the lines and needs bleeding?

Thanks!
Quote:
Replaced the slave cylinder, and the problem is fixed now. Verified under various city conditions for few days. Thanks Sunny!
I have the exact same problem. No slippage or loss of power. But the occasional judder in cold start at very slow speeds. Goes away in a few seconds.

During the regular 80K service at HASS, the advisor said need to change the entire clutch assembly( clutch and pressure plate, bearings, master and slave cyclinder) he said changing flywheel is optional. I am bit sceptical of this diagnosis. I would like to try out just replacing the slave cylinder and do a bleeding.

Where did you get this done? What Hyundai car? Mine is a Creta diesel.

Last edited by m8002? : 13th September 2024 at 08:08.
Old 13th September 2024, 13:50   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I have the exact same problem. No slippage or loss of power. But the occasional judder in cold start at very slow speeds. Goes away in a few seconds.
Typical of worn out clutch, 80k for diesel is a sign of your good driving habits.
This will aggravate during cold weather but once warmed up, there will be no sign. I will suggest you to keep driving for now.

Quote:
the advisor said need to change the entire clutch assembly( clutch and pressure plate, bearings, master and slave cyclinder) he said changing flywheel is optional. I am bit sceptical of this diagnosis. I would like to try out just replacing the slave cylinder and do a bleeding.
All that he has advised is correct except the clutch master cylinder (inflate the bill and complete his target) needs replacement only if there is a loss of brake fluid, change in color of brake fluid, spongy feel, sticky clutch pedal, difficult gear shifts etc.

Just to change the slave cylinder, gear box will be taken out to remove clutch plate and pressure plate. Same thing will happen if you plan to change flywheel, clutch-pressure plates, bearing. Just keep driving for now.

Note: Please refer @PearlJam post, I recently did clutch overhaul and replaced clutch release bearing for Vitara Brezza, was wrongly tagged as slave cylinder by mechanic. I stand corrected for lacking information.

Last edited by Bhuvan : 13th September 2024 at 14:09.
Bhuvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 13:58   #577
BHPian

Quote:
During the regular 80K service at HASS, the advisor said need to change the entire clutch assembly( clutch and pressure plate, bearings, master and slave cyclinder) he said changing flywheel is optional. I am bit sceptical of this diagnosis. I would like to try out just replacing the slave cylinder and do a bleeding.

Yes, you can try this first. Mine is a Verna 1.6 CRDI. BTW, 80k is a good enough life for the clutch for our conditions. You might be getting signs of clutch wear, if at all that's happening, if you're a single owner driving your car regularly, and sensitive enough to make out any changes. In which case it might be prudent to change the entire assembly.

Quote:
Just to change the slave cylinder, gear box will be taken out to remove clutch plate and pressure plate.
That's not true. The slave cylinder can be changed in just 15-20 minutes. You can even see the slave cylinder under the hood, atleast for the Verna.
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 14:10   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Typical of worn out clutch, 80k for diesel is a sign of your good driving habits.
All that he has advised is correct except the clutch master cylinder (inflate the bill and complete his target) needs replacement only if there is a loss of brake fluid, change in color of brake fluid, spongy feel, sticky clutch pedal, difficult gear shifts etc.
I was mentally prepared to change the clutch and pressure plates given the mileage. But when he added all the others, was not very sure.

I took the car to a FNG for second opinion today. He said the clutch can easily last another 10-20K kms. The pedal is a bit hard and nothing can be done about it. On the juddering, he said unless he sees/experiences it, he doesnt want to suggest or try any work on the assembly. Asked to just continue driving.

Quote:
That's not true. The slave cylinder can be changed in just 15-20 minutes. You can even see the slave cylinder under the hood, atleast for the Verna.
This is my understanding as well.

Have decided to revisit this at 90K service or if the symptoms become more severe before that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks