Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2020, 01:45   #511
BHPian

Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
(typically the clutch plate, slave cylinder, release bearing, pressure plate, flywheel), clutch replacement does not go wrong. If you experience a spongy feel on the pedal, tell them to bleed the oil lines (once again).
Thank you for the advice, Rahul.

My SA sent a message today evening saying that the flywheel is fine and doesn't need to be replaced. The rest of the parts have been replaced today. I was informed after the replacement. He has sent the photos of the new parts being installed. Will be going to collect the vehicle tomorrow. Will test drive the car and see if there is any spongy feel.

Will update with the total costs as well.
FloatingCanvas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:04   #512
BANNED

These are some signs that indicate that your clutch needs repair or replacement:-

1. Abnormal Shifting Sounds- When you drive a manual vehicle, you get to know the normal sounds that the car or truck makes when shifting gears. Any change in your vehicle's shifting sounds could indicate an issue with the clutch or gears.

2. Clutch Stickiness- If your clutch pedal becomes difficult to operate, you may have trouble shifting gears when you need to, which can lead to unsafe driving conditions. This stickiness, which may cause your clutch to take longer to move or require more pressure generally just requires repairs.

3. Excess Vibration- Numerous automotive issues can cause your vehicle to vibrate unnaturally during use. However, if you notice that the steering wheel or the entire vehicle vibrates heavily when you shift gears, the root of the problem is likely related to your clutch.

4. Gear Slippage- Perhaps the most obvious sign that something is wrong with your clutch is that your vehicle won't stay in your chosen gear. When your vehicle slips out of gear, you may notice a sudden deceleration. In some cases, you may lose control of the vehicle until you get it back into gear.

5. Shifting Difficulty- In addition to problems depressing the clutch pedal, clutch issues could also make your normal gear shifts rougher than they should be. If you have to force the clutch to move, the gearbox likely needs repairs.
ButterRider 7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:38   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas View Post

Will update with the total costs as well.

Full clutch replacement of my i20 Elite Diesel was done at Advaith Hyundai. Odo-64000 km. Entire clutch assembly with all associated parts replaced. Flywheel seemed to be in good condition and was not touched. EGR cleaning also done.

Total cost came to about Rs. 28k. Negotiated with SA to reduce labour charges a bit and final bill amount was Rs. 25,775, with taxes.

The clutch feels very light and smooth post replacement. Had forgotten what a relief light clutch can be. No abnormal sounds or vibrations. Car pickup seems to be improved too.

Attached are the invoice details.
Attached Thumbnails
About clutch wear & replacement-screenshot_20201214113057_drive.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-screenshot_20201214113110_drive.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 14th December 2020 at 22:57. Reason: As requested
Old 14th December 2020, 11:56   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterRider 7 View Post
These are some signs that indicate that your clutch needs repair or replacement:-

4. Gear Slippage- Perhaps the most obvious sign that something is wrong with your clutch is that your vehicle won't stay in your chosen gear. When your vehicle slips out of gear, you may notice a sudden deceleration. In some cases, you may lose control of the vehicle until you get it back into gear.
If the car slips out of gear, it shall be something wrong in the gearbox. Why a faulty clutch would cause the gear to disengage? And anyway, slipping out of gear is unheard of. The synchromesh gear does not seem to have any reason to disengage on it's own, once engaged.

Quote:
Full clutch replacement of my i20 Elite Diesel was done at Advaith Hyundai. Odo-6400 km. Entire clutch assembly with all associated parts replaced. Flywheel seemed to be in good condition and was not touched. EGR cleaning also done.

Total cost came to about Rs. 28k. Negotiated with SA to reduce labour charges a bit and final bill amount was Rs. 25,775, with taxes.
Clutch replacement costing Rs. 28k at 6400 km. Was there anything wrong with the way the car was driven?
Old 14th December 2020, 12:26   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Clutch replacement costing Rs. 28k at 6400 km. Was there anything wrong with the way the car was driven?
I bought the car pre-owned in 2018 with the odo about 46k km. The car was showroom serviced throughout and in immaculate condition. The car is a Sep 2014 model. I used it from 2018 with a light foot. Since May 2020, Dad is using it, with a driver from his office. The commute now is 95% in city - with about 50% being peak Bangalore traffic, everyday. (From ODO around 58k)

Noticed slight hardening of the clutch from 60k km onwards. At 62k, the hardening increased after 1hour+ drives in city. Around 63,500km point onwards, it was getting a bit more hard after city drives. Finally had to get it changed once it started juddering.
Old 14th December 2020, 17:54   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Noticed slight hardening of the clutch from 60k km onwards. At 62k, the hardening increased after 1hour+ drives in city. Around 63,500km point onwards, it was getting a bit more hard after city drives. Finally had to get it changed once it started juddering.
Ok, so 6400 km was a typo. Clutch replacement at 64,000 km with good amount of driving in traffic isn't unexpected.

Clutch pedal going hard after some driving for some time is one indication that the clutch is slipping (and hence getting hotter) and the replacement is getting due.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 19:39   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so 6400 km was a typo. Clutch replacement at 64,000 km with good amount of driving in traffic isn't unexpected.

Did not notice the typo at ALL! Even when you specifically asked about it! My bad.
Old 6th March 2021, 22:25   #518
BHPian

This is my first post in this wonderful forum.
This forum has helped me a lot in making various informed decisions and helped me reduce my maintenance bills.

I would like to share my experience on this topic and I believe can help others in reducing their bills too.

I own Hyundai fluidic verna diesel SX(o) model 2014. The car has done 80000 kms and has now started giving me some age related issues , which I had to address. I will probably keep the car for another year or two as in Delhi NCR registration is only for 10 years. Obviously I would like my expenses to be as low as possible.

My car clutch has started to give me trouble since last 6 months or so. The clutch pedal was feeling heavy after driving for 20/30 kms and when in the middle of stop start traffic with half clutch pressed. There was difficulty slotting gears specially 1,2,3 gears. Reverse gear produced a scary gurgling sound. Symptoms used to disappear every morning with fresh start.There was no loss of pickup/fuel average or slippage.

Reading the forum I learnt that my master and slave cylinder could be faulty and may need a replacement.

I showed up at my usual ASS and some other ASS and non ASS. Almost all said to get clutch plates/pressure plate/bearing replaced. None said anything regarding master or slave cylinder. When asked about it almost all said that final required replacements will only be known after opening the clutch. So as per them my bill would be between Rs 16000 to Rs 45000(If flywheel is also replaced) depending on work done. This thing made me uncomfortable as I never wanted to spend so much money. Then a friend recommended a good non ASS who straightway opened the bonnet after listening to symptoms and examined master and slave cylinders and suggested to change them too as they were found leaking and gave a reasonable confirmation that flywheel need not be changed. As per him flywheel requires a replacement only if clutch plates are totally worn out, which doesn't seem to be the case as there is no clutch slippage. As per him cost would be around Rs 23000 for clutch plates/pressure plate/bearing/master/slave cylinder. Although less then ASS but still it was high.

Next I called up Gomechanic to ask them about clutch overhaul charges and if they could agree to only labour charges with replacement parts provided by me. They called back after enquiring from workshops and agreed to doing only labour work. Charges for labour were fixed at Rs2000/.

I immediately started looking for a good spare parts shop which provided original parts. My search ended at " BKS motors" at Delhi lothian Road , Kashmiri gate. I reached there at 11:00am sharp when shop opens. I have learnt that it's a busy shop so best time is early morning.

They immediately suggested to buy OES parts and not OEM , although they sell both. As per them there wouldn't be any difference in results.
So I bought following from them
1. Clutch set. Make PHC (phc valeo, made in korea) Rs 4650/
2. Clutch bearing ... Hyundai OEM Rs 786/
3. Master cylinder....TCIC(Made in korea) Rs 1300/
4. Slave cylinder. . TCIC(Made in korea). Rs 764/
4. Bosch dot 4 brake oil. 500ml. Rs 165/

Total expenses Parts Rs 7600/-

I got clutch replacement done at Gomechanic unnati automobiles, Indirapuram and they did a clinical work in around 4hours. Work was supervised by me. Labour Rs2000/(Including clutch plates/pressure plate replacement/bearing replacement/master/slave cylinder replacement/clutch bleeding.

Total expenses Rs 9600/

I have driven around 500kms till now and my clutch now works as good as new.

Although I did use so called "aftermarket" parts but I am still happy after saving so much with results as good as OEM Parts. Fellow team bhpians can suggest possible aftereffects I might have which I should be careful as I have used Aftermarket Parts.

I am also attaching photos of parts used work done.
Attached Thumbnails
About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_111745.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_114130.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_112649.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_110746.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_111720.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_111630.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_112707.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_112307.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_114218.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_114531.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_104600.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_112710.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_133031.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_132928.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_111656.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_110737.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_110550.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_142539.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_133001.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_112655.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_114121.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_111746.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_114225.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_111712.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-img_20210301_112303.jpg  

drsachin is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 10:09   #519
BHPian

From past few days when moving the car from standstill to 1st i can feel some weird judder/vibration in the clutch pedal mainly and accelerator pedal as well a bit. Felt as if something is loose somewhere. My car has ran 45k Kms and is a petrol Grand i10. I dont get these once the car is moving in the higher gears. Car is also accelerating alright. What could be the issue any suggestion ?
Old 10th August 2021, 00:29   #520
BHPian

Guys, need a little help. My 2006 Honda city ZX, which is at 1,10.000, had a sudden failure in the middle of the road today. Inspite of giving acceleration, the car just stopped bang in the middle of the road. Also it was very hard to push the car on the side as if the brakes are stuck. Had to tow it back home.

What added to the confusion was that I was coming from a mechanic after getting the brake switch fixed ( the car's brake lights were continuously on ). As of now the car is not moving inspite of giving acceleration. I can shift to 1st, leave the clutch and nothing happens. So all things point to a failed clutch.

Can anyone guide me what is the OEM make of clutch in Honda city ? and the approximate cost of replacing the same at Honda.
I just checked Boodmo and it has a brand called Valeo listed ( the pressure and clutch plate costs Rs 4,500 ). The Honda OEM ones are listed at Rs 10,000 at Honda.

Can anyone has any recommendation for the brand I should go for? Should I stick to Honda or aftermarket FNG is fine?
WanderinNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:05   #521
BHPian

I had an issue with my Grand i10's clutch that I felt for a while now. The car is 8 years old, 41K driven - mostly in bumper-to-bumper Bangalore traffic.

For the past few months, I was gradually finding the clutch pedal to get heavier to operate. And then, about a week ago, I started hearing grating/creaking noises while pressing and releasing the clutch pedal.

I got it checked by Advaith Hyundai, Bellandur - I was expecting the worst. It turns out it was only the clutch cable that needed replacement. According to my service advisor, the clutch itself should last till about 60,000-65,000 kilometers, provided there is no adverse change in the driving style.

All in all, damage to the pocket was about INR 1400, which is not bad at all.
Old 18th November 2021, 11:30   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasKinger View Post
For the past few months, I was gradually finding the clutch pedal to get heavier to operate. And then, about a week ago, I started hearing grating/creaking noises while pressing and releasing the clutch pedal.

According to my service advisor, the clutch itself should last till about 60,000-65,000 kilometers, provided there is no adverse change in the driving style.

All in all, damage to the pocket was about INR 1400, which is not bad at all.
Looks like I spoke too soon, and needed to make back-to-back posts after a week. The clutch pedal is still light, smooth, and noise-free after the cable replacement.

It has developed a strange and concerning issue. I'm unable to slot into 2nd and Reverse Gears. While shifting from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 2nd gears takes a lot of effort, almost 90% of the time it slots into Neutral instead. Reverse gear too, takes 4-5 tries at least, and when it goes into reverse, it makes a horrifying grating sound.

Getting this checked out ASAP. I'm a little scared.
TejasKinger is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 14:57   #523
BHPian

Clutch Master and slave cylinders probably needs replacement but most service centres would like to change them together with clutch plates and not alone
Old 29th March 2022, 09:54   #524
BHPian

Hi guys. Need some info regarding the clutch on my Mahindra Scorpio Bs6 2021 model 2.2 Mhawk engine. Odo reading is 4500kms.

I just completed a 1500km road trip from my home in Darjeeling to New Delhi. I will be heading back home next week so will be driving another 1500kms back.

Last night when I was driving back to my hotel after meeting a friend, I accidentally drove my vehicle with the handbrake engaged. I think I must have driven around 2.5-5kms with the handbrake on. After that the clutch pedal went to the floor completely. I stopped the vehicle. Then after 30 min the clutch pedal bite slowly started coming back. By 1 hour the clutch was almost back to normal.

So I just wanted to ask what long term damage I may have caused to my clutch system. Also just wanted to ask if I should take the vehicle to the Service station since I have a 1500km drive back next week.

With the handbrake engaged, I can understand the brake system overheating and causing some wear and tear. Can anyone shed some information as to why the clutch was affected? Has it got something to do with the clutch fluid heating?
Old 29th March 2022, 10:26   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post

With the handbrake engaged, I can understand the brake system overheating and causing some wear and tear. Can anyone shed some information as to why the clutch was affected? Has it got something to do with the clutch fluid heating?
Brake and clutch systems share the brake fluid from the common reservoir
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks