Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2017, 13:41   #106
BHPian

Re: Maruti's AMT woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Slightly off-topic, but here you go...

https://www.team-bhp.com/abbreviations
TSM, doesn't seem to be part of this list. I'm curious as well.
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:32   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
TSM, doesn't seem to be part of this list. I'm curious as well.

Territory Sales / Service Manager perhaps.
slicvic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 21:25   #108
Senior - BHPian

An update from my side - after evaluating multiple AMT cars, I finally went ahead and booked the Ignis Delta AMT and joined the AMT Gang...

Now, I will be watching this thread closely hoping that some kind of permanent fix is worked out soon...

In the meantime, is there any special PDI to be done for an AMT car?!

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 8th May 2017 at 21:27.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 10:51   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
An update from my side - after evaluating multiple AMT cars, I finally went ahead and booked the Ignis Delta AMT and joined the AMT Gang...

In the meantime, is there any special PDI to be done for an AMT car?!
Congratulations on your booking! The K12M engine reportedly fares better with the AMT as compared to K10. So you can expect your experience to be better and smoother than K10+AMT combo
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 23:11   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Congratulations on your booking! The K12M engine reportedly fares better with the AMT as compared to K10. So you can expect your experience to be better and smoother than K10+AMT combo
Yes - I fully agree with your statement and I felt the same during the Test Drive. The Ignis AMT has less lag in gear shifts as compared to the Celerio and the Tiago AMT. The Dealer has promised Delivery within this month itself, so the wait has begun for the car delivery.

Kudos to Maruti for providing Dual Airbags and ABS across all variants of the Ignis. If they had missed these safety features in the lower variant I would have had to go for the Celerio or Tiago but now I was able to go for the Delta variant without having to compromise safety
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 19:04   #111
BHPian

It's been one and a half months and 740km in my Celerio ZXi AMT. My satisfaction level with the car is dropping with every drive. I'm facing the following:

1) Jerky and slow AMT:
The acceleration in this car, esp from standstill, is GRADUAL. I get honked at every time I take off after traffic lights turn green. It's not even close to any other vehicle other than an auto-rickshaw with passengers.

The AMT is jerky throughout. The jerks are mild in 2nd and 3rd gear, but it's a proper 'shove' when AMT shifts from 2nd to 1st in crawling traffic. Its dangerous in-fact. If someone is right ahead of my car, he/she might get hit. It's almost as if the AMT released the clutch too early.

2) Poor FE:
My driving is mostly on the weekends, with the odd weekday drive to-and-from office. I'm getting an avg of 12.6-12.8 km/l. I was expecting at least 16. (I drive in the city only. Haven't touched highway yet. It is after all a city car!)

The jerk/shove issues started a little after first service. Wonder if it s got anything to do with that.

Overall, the slow pick-up and un-smooth ride is so annoying that I have stuck on to my old scooty to commute daily. Celerio has now become a very expensive weekend shuttle to the movies, restaurants etc.

Is anyone else here facing similar issues?
Old 23rd May 2017, 20:32   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker86 View Post
It's been one and a half months and 740km in my Celerio ZXi AMT. My satisfaction level with the car is dropping with every drive. I'm facing the following:

1) Jerky and slow AMT:

2) Poor FE:

Except for the 1-2 delay in shifting, there is/was no jerk in my car both with new and worn out clutches. Also, I have never got a honk from people behind, since usually I accelerate upto 20kmph in first and only then allow the shift to 2 to happen. By then, I would have created a considerable gap behind my car, unless the driver behind also is equally aggressive.

Till date, I have had zero issues with covering gaps in traffic. Sometimes creep will take time to pick up speed, and a gentle throttle input will get it going easily. I also drive a much powerful SX4 alternatively, so I am not exaggerating. It is only at higher speeds that the smaller engine will run out of pulling power and takes its own time to pick up speed. In fact, I like the power delivery at lower speeds more than my SX4. The latter is fun after the midrange.

Downshifting from 2-1 happens to me when I am braking, and when the brake pedal is pressed in 1st and 2nd the clutch disengages, which doesnt cause jerks. The only time I got a surprise was when I was in manual mode and shifted from 2-1 without braking, and the revv matching caused a surge in movement, but calmed down immediately. Apart from this, in D mode I havent felt this since most of the times the shift from 2-1 happens when braking.

Regarding FE, I think expecting 16 running around in the city is quite optimistic. My car gives 14-14.5 on the MID(aggressive acceleration + empty roads in the morning). If I dont use the car when I am out of station, and my dad uses it for errands and sunday shopping, the MID show 11-12.5. However, neither does he drive in an FE oriented manner and the car usually idles at short stops to run the AC. The MID is reset whenever I fill up hence, will get the figures for that cycle only. I fill up every week.

The best mileage I have got during my office commute was 16.1kmpl during the last week of 2016 when most people were on vacation and the roads were relatively very free. The empty roads also made me drive more sedately, just to experiment what the car could deliver. End of the week the MID was showing 16.7kmpl. However, my aunts Celerio shows 9-10 on the MID since she is still new to driving and doesnt drive for more than 1-2 kms at a stretch.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 09:17   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker86 View Post

1) Jerky and slow AMT:
The acceleration in this car, esp from standstill, is GRADUAL. I get honked at every time I take off after traffic lights turn green. It's not even close to any other vehicle other than an auto-rickshaw with passengers.

The AMT is jerky throughout. The jerks are mild in 2nd and 3rd gear, but it's a proper 'shove' when AMT shifts from 2nd to 1st in crawling traffic. Its dangerous in-fact. If someone is right ahead of my car, he/she might get hit. It's almost as if the AMT released the clutch too early.

2) Poor FE:
My driving is mostly on the weekends, with the odd weekday drive to-and-from office. I'm getting an avg of 12.6-12.8 km/l. I was expecting at least 16. (I drive in the city only. Haven't touched highway yet. It is after all a city car!)

The jerk/shove issues started a little after first service. Wonder if it s got anything to do with that.

Overall, the slow pick-up and un-smooth ride is so annoying that I have stuck on to my old scooty to commute daily. Celerio has now become a very expensive weekend shuttle to the movies, restaurants etc.

This is not at all normal. I am driving an ZXi in AMT avatar as well. Apart from the occasional confusion AMT shows while downshifting from 2-1, I haven't faced any of these issues. My FE as per MID stands at 19.5 with 25% city drive and AC on most of the time. I suggest you get the car checked at ASS asap. My other drive is a Swift VDi and the lack of power is evident when driving Celerio. However, it's not that bad and I never got honked for being slower than the traffic behind me.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:33   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Except for the 1-2 delay in shifting, there is/was no jerk in my car both with new and worn out clutches.

Till date, I have had zero issues with covering gaps in traffic. Sometimes creep will take time to pick up speed, and a gentle throttle input will get it going easily.

Regarding FE, I think expecting 16 running around in the city is quite optimistic. My car gives 14-14.5 on the MID(aggressive acceleration + empty roads in the morning).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
This is not at all normal. I suggest you get the car checked at ASS asap.
Thanks guys, I'm gonna get it checked at the next opportunity I get. The slow acceleration I can live with, may also be because I drive with a very light foot. But either way its not brisk at all.

Good to know that you both haven't faced the shove/jerk issue during 2-to-1 shift in slow traffic. I can get it checked and not pass it off as a design flaw.
cityslicker86 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 11:26   #115
BHPian

IMO the slow and jerky shift from 1-2 is inherent to all AMTs. My Tiago XZA also have the same problem. I usually drive in the manual mode. The sport mode in Tiago also solves the issue to large extent.
Old 24th May 2017, 12:54   #116
BHPian

First of all rating this thread 5 stars!! It's quite an eye opener and a great pool of information for anyone looking to buy Maruti AMT cars.

I have almost finalised (and already booked) the new Maruti Dzire 2017 Petrol AGS (AMT) model. However the posts on this thread about Maruti's AMT issues have got me worried. Haven't seen any issues on the previous Dzire diesel AMT on any thread. So hoping that the bigger 1.2 / 1.3 engines work better with the AMT.

During the test drive, I absolutely loved the manual shifting option and it's feel. Can anyone comment on whether using the manual shifting option for long durations or many times can affect the AMT unit / setup in any way? Know it's a dumb question , but not sure how Maruti's AMT units work considering all the issues with Celerio and Alto.

Also does the AMT chipset automatically disengage the clutch when the brake/handbrake is engaged during signal stops etc.? Or is manually shifting to Neutral the best option?

Any feedback from fellow Team-BHPians on the previous Dzire AMT version would be greatly appreciated.
Old 24th May 2017, 13:28   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post

During the test drive, I absolutely loved the manual shifting option and it's feel. Can anyone comment on whether using the manual shifting option for long durations or many times can affect the AMT unit / setup in any way?

Also does the AMT chipset automatically disengage the clutch when the brake/handbrake is engaged during signal stops etc.? Or is manually shifting to Neutral the best option?
For the first question, using manual mode most of the times will theoretically prolong the life of the actuator and valve assembly since compared to automatic mode, the number of shifts are lesser. For example, when I know I am approaching a turn or a hump and need not accelerate further, I let go of the accelerator. In automatic mode, an upshift happens which is unnecessary. This can be avoided if we are manually switching gears. In the same way, the kickdown from 5-4 is very sensitive. In fifth gear, a gentle press of the pedal will send the transmission back to 4 if speeds are less than 80kmph.

Hence, such unnecessary up/downshifts can be avoided in manual mode. Though it is not proven to be better for the transmission, in principle there will be lesser number of shifts for the same distance travelled in Manual mode compared to automatic. However, if you frequently cycle gears in manual mode, that effect is contradicted.

Regarding pulling the handbrake while in D or M, the clutch is disengaged but the transmission stays in gear. However, if this continues for more than 10 minutes, the transmission goes into neutral and stays there until you move the selector to N and then back to D or M. Leaving it in D and pulling the handbrake is not advised since in order to disengage the clutch, the clutch actuator will be pressurized for extended periods of time which again in principle puts unnecessary wear and tear on the system.

Imaging pressing the clutch and keeping the car in gear in a signal in a manual transmission - Here in the case of the AMT the transmission actuator unit will be taking this load. Hence, not recommended.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 15:57   #118
BHPian

During a 900km drive around the western ghats, climbing hairpin bends between Manipal and Agumbe was disastrous. It started displaying Transaxle warning light which is scary when you are crawling behind a huge truck at 10kmph at a sharp hair pin bend. Operator manual says to keep the parking break engaged and start moving in first gear using acceleration. This is not practical where you need 1st gear mid-clutch crawling in a manual shift car. So, if you are planning to drive around the hills, strictly stay away from AMT. Hill-assist is a really big thing when you are climbing a steep flyover in a city in slow-moving traffic as well.

Highway performance was decent with 21kmpl driving at 60-80kmph speed. Highly recommended for sedate driving style. Any attempt to go faster will shift the gears in the wrong direction and make you slower. Ergonomics of the seats are really bad; which is obvious in a long trip.

Last edited by Romins : 30th May 2017 at 15:59.
Romins is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 00:14   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
During a 900km drive around the western ghats, climbing hairpin bends between Manipal and Agumbe was disastrous. It started displaying Transaxle warning light which is scary when you are crawling behind a huge truck at 10kmph at a sharp hair pin bend. Operator manual says to keep the parking break engaged and start moving in first gear using acceleration. This is not practical where you need 1st gear mid-clutch crawling in a manual shift car. So, if you are planning to drive around the hills, strictly stay away from AMT. Hill-assist is a really big thing when you are climbing a steep flyover in a city in slow-moving traffic as well.

Highway performance was decent with 21kmpl driving at 60-80kmph speed. Highly recommended for sedate driving style. Any attempt to go faster will shift the gears in the wrong direction and make you slower. Ergonomics of the seats are really bad; which is obvious in a long trip.
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your experience with the AMT. Yes, it is an infamous transmission when it comes to performance. Personally test driven one, and experienced it.

Did you try manual mode on the ghat sections or choose the automatic mode instead? Additionally, can you please highlight the traffic condition and if possible the revs that you were doing, so that others don't face the same problems again? And di you take your car to the A.S.S after this issue?

Regards,
vishy
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 12:03   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Hi,
Did you try manual mode on the ghat sections or choose the automatic mode instead? Additionally, can you please highlight the traffic condition and if possible the revs that you were doing, so that others don't face the same problems again? And did you take your car to the A.S.S after this issue?

Regards,
vishy
Traffic conditions was the worst I ever experienced at ghats. Serpentine queue of vehicles and a slow moving truck in front. I tried both M and D mode, either mode doesn't help you to hold on and move slowly in first gear. So I had to use my left foot to apply brakes; while applying the accelerator a little to keep it moving inch by inch. Another issue is that all other cars with manual gears will be faster than us and they keep honking at us. I couldn't engage M mode and keep up with a Santro or Alto.

It was a rented car from Revv; so I can't take to a service center. Trans-axle warning from operator manual page says to switch off the engine and wait for a while if the warning comes up. There was not even an extra inch to park the car on this road. So I decided to continue driving.

Frankly, I was a little panicked and couldn't bother to look at anything other than the truck in front of me. I am an experienced driver, including driving in ghat sections. So I am sure I didn't revv too much.

Last edited by Romins : 31st May 2017 at 12:04.
Romins is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks