Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 12:54   #301
BHPian

Re: Maruti's AMT woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I don't think AMT cars will have any problem in highways. In fact IMHO they are most suitable for the highway travel.

It is the city travel which creates problem with the AMT unit with frequent up shift and down shift which causes clutch wear and tear and also overheating.
Interesting theory but doesn't it then defeat the purpose of an auto gear shift which is mainly required in bumper to bumper traffic. On the highways , there isn't much difference between driving a manual and auto as the gear changes are fewer. I hope things improve with time as India is still an amateur market for Auto gear shifts.
keshav1426 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 14:08   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys I have a Maruti Celerio AMT which I had purchased last year. From past few months I am noticing that whenever I apply brake or the car is moving slowly in traffic it vibrates. The whole car vibrates. What could be the issue. I'm asking cause this was not present earlier. Hope to hear soon.
Have faced the similar issue with my wife's celerio and was hell worried. In fact, it went to the level of very poor response from Car on start-stop sequence. Thankfully, the fix is a 15 minutes job. The SA had the soot removed from a component which I do not recall anymore . 30 minutes job from start to finish, been about 10 months since than issue didn't reappear. However, the technician did say Maruti AMT's have this as a known issue and I should ask for this cleaning in every alternate service.

Hope this helps.
New.Novice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 20:27   #303
BHPian

Thank you guys for the quick response. Glad to know that it's nothing serious. Will get it checked in a day or two. I will post an update on this issue soon.
Old 12th January 2019, 22:58   #304

Car: 2015 Celerio VXI AMT
Mileage: 27500 Kms approx (car runs almost daily around 20 kms +- 5 Kms).
Usage: highway+city mix.

Issue: Shuddering during acceleration from crawl to drive phase in gear-1 around 20K Kms on the Odo.

Resolution: Showed to MSIL Pune service center, they suggested (without any deliberation) that they would change the clutch-plates as a "goodwill" gesture. I didn't talk much over it given everyone knows the initial niggles with AMT after MSIL launch in India. It was kinda an unsaid mutual agreement one might say. Issue resolved.

Update: 27500 Kms on Odo now approx, car runs smooth.

fyi: Celerio AMT has taught me to drive like a maniac due to the ease of driving without manual gear changes hence I sometimes do cause headaches for rash Petrol Swift drivers on road who think they are driving a jet.
The trick is to master the accelerator and you can force-switch gears as required. Catch is, the standard AMT unit gear-change time delays will always be there. You just get used to it and learn to work around it.

Simple post, to let users know that if driven sanely, AMT vehicles are not an issue and can actually give the true economical bliss of automatic transmission cars in a maniacal city traffic during office hours. Even if insanely driven, clutch plate price (MSIL) is bearable for a car owner every 20K Kms I guess.

fyi: went to check Kwid AMT with a friend (and fellow Celerio AMT owner- who btw bought it after driving my car and is also happy now, no clutch plate changes for him as he has hardly clocked 10K Kms and drives much humanely possible) last year just to check the AMT performance, sucks, especially without a manual over-ride on slopes. Good God, what were they thinking?

Drive safe fellas.
Don't drink and drive!
Pedestrians first.
praviin05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 11:08   #305
BHPian

Does anyone else feel that the car performs better under braking when driven in manual mode?
In the 'D' mode, I can feel the car suddenly slip away under braking. This happens when the transmission disengages and shifts down while you are in the middle of braking. You will notice this only under hard braking (say when you want to get down from around 100 to 30 kmph)

Somehow I just am more confident to brake while the transmission is in M.
Anyone else who has noticed this?
Old 21st January 2019, 16:41   #306

@jomson13

You caught that good enough.
I own the AMT vehcile since Aug 2013 and never had such experience as you seem to report in your post and ideally would have taken your post with a pinch of salt however.. sad to say that there is an issue deep within the system.

A few weeks ago I was with a friend visiting a small mall in Pune near MG rd.
When it was time to leave, I ensured the usual protocols before starting the vehicle are checked and turned the ignition key on (N-mode, break pedal pressed, hand break disengaged) and the car suddenly gave a big thud jump for fraction of a second before I felt the system taking back control to ensure the breaks are engaged and so is the clutch. It suddenly dawned upon me that the entire system is a computer controlled drive by wire system and something skipped a heartbeat during that moment thus leading to a thud before the computer finally behaved the way it was programmed to do.

I did report it to the service adviser in my service visit a week later which was anyway due and I was late by about six weeks. No action taken as far as my observation about the adviser feedback goes. No re-calibration done, no system check/update etc. Car is fine as of now. No difference in manual or auto mode driving/braking at all (I rarely and I mean rarely touch the manual mode)

Having said this, I still don't see any reasons to worry. Keep a watch and if you feel a persistent disconnect in manual and auto mode driving, have a word with your service station.

Pardon me if you feel my response does not attend/seem to relate to your concern in any way but again, the entire system is drive by wire and activates after you start the car and hence not surprised to see or hear such minute observations.
praviin05 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 13:27   #307

I just got the newly launched WagonR 2019.

Cannot emphasize enough how good the ASG (aka AMT) is provided you drive in 'M' mode.

I have been driving manuals for a long time and the 'D' mode of the new car wasn't all that cheering because of the occasional drag, latency, the stalling and so many driver-warnings in the booklet (all normal though). So I went over the instruction booklet and realized that driving it on 'MANUAL' might be a different experience and I was correct. The Car is completely under control, gearshifts all without the clutch, just a tap on the stick. You can even skip-shift (say 2nd to 4th, two taps quickly) and of course, engine-braking was back. The best part is when you slow down, the system lowers the gear automatically. Even if you brake at 5th, it shifts from 5th to 1st automatically. Wow! I have since suggested to the dealer that on test-drives, they should demo the Manual mode too. He thanked me but pointed out that buyers are so excited about AUTOMATIC, that the very mention of the word MANUAL would be a buzz-kill/sale-kill.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th March 2019 at 13:28. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Saptadeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 14:07   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praviin05 View Post
Car: 2015 Celerio VXI AMT

Resolution: Showed to MSIL Pune service center, they suggested (without any deliberation) that they would change the clutch-plates as a "goodwill" gesture
This replacement may indeed going to be a regular maintenance activity every 10-20k kms for cars driven in heavy traffic.

I had a similar issue at about 17K kms, with my 2016 celerio: shuddering in traffic, engine would nearly stall but come back to life with a half break press. The AAS replaced something related to the clutch (he said they took apart and rebuilt the clutch, whatever that means) under warranty and the car has been doing well until now. It's at 28k kms.

I'm expecting the clutch problems to return at 35k kms :-) .
Alterlife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 19:56   #309
Senior - BHPian

On a K10 Alto, 3 years old, done only 5.3 k kms, the gear started shifting to N. And the resolution is to change the AMT system.. the owner / driver is a lady, so, the SA is not probably using the exact word, or more probably she is not catching the exact terminology. In

For about 2 months before that, (approx 500 km done during this period) the car would show the orange "Check AMT" light which would go if the a/cwwas switched off even momentarily. On one occasion, the vehicle was returned in a few minutes and she was told that something was tightened. The problem indeed went away then.

Now, starting last Saturday, (so 7 days over, as of today) vehicle is in A S S. Apparently the part would be replaced as a goodwill measure foc, though the warranty is over.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th April 2019 at 09:14. Reason: line spacing
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 20:18   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Now, starting last Saturday, (so 7 days over, as of today) vehicle is in A S S. Apparently the part would be replaced as a goodwill measure foc, though the warranty is over.
All this goes to show that Maruti is using it's brand equity in trying to pedal a transmission that's far from perfect at least under Indian traffic conditions.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 19:46   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

I had changed the clutch latest at 97xx kms on my Celerio. The third clutch kit lasted longer, which I really cant guess why. At 28xxx kms, there was just a slight judder and nothing compared to the last two instances. Hence, I reported this during the 30k kms service done recently. The works supervisor contacted the TSM and then they advised changing clutch kit along with the throttle body. Hence, the same was changed without me having to insist. So my car is now running on the fourth clutch kit, which I expect to be good for another 20k kms. The throttle body is suspected to be faulty when the car jerks around, but in my case there was no such issue. So I wonder why it even needed replacement.

That said, the car is back to its excellent smoothness wrt clutch. I appreciate their prompt response without me having to raise my tone or try to escalate the matter. The only issue is that, this is not the fix to the problem, which I can assure on paper. The judder will definitely return one day. But my experiments will continue. A few weeks back, I did a sort of reverse abuse to the clutch and that indeed helped reduce the judder. Since I was sure of the replacement coming up, I stepped hard on the brake pedal and gave a slight pressure on the accelerator just to get the clutch to the point of engaging. The vibrations due to judder could be felt at this point which is due to the unevenness of the clutch disc/cover. Held it in this position for quite some seconds until the transmission overheating light came up. By this time, the vibrations had reduced, probably due to the clutch disc and cover getting faced evenly. After this, by the time of the service, the judder was very slightly present. But this again was an experiment and by no means the solution, since all I did was to grind the clutch disc and create some evenness, but at the cost of wear and tear.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 10:42   #312
BHPian

In my Ignis AMT run 5000KM I'm having judder at the time of cold start when starting of from standstill for first few minutes. After that there is no issue throughout the day. Is it of any serious concern?
Old 14th April 2019, 07:35   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
In my Ignis AMT run 5000KM I'm having judder at the time of cold start when starting of from standstill for first few minutes. After that there is no issue throughout the day. Is it of any serious concern?
There is a minor judder in my Celerio if I start it cold and leave immediately. It lasts for maybe the first 20 seconds.

Just a little bit of idling in the morning solves the problem. if I start the car when I get in, then put on the seat belt with the engine running and then make a move with just that 5-10 second warmup, there is no judder.

Basically the engine seems to need 10 seconds to wake up in the morning.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th April 2019 at 09:11. Reason: line spacing
Alterlife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 10:19   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I had changed the clutch latest at 97xx kms on my Celerio. The third clutch kit lasted longer, which I really cant guess why. At 28xxx kms, there was just a slight judder and nothing compared to the last two instances. .....
In my 2015 Celerio, the (clutch set + throttle body + flywheeel) was replaced at 21k. Its 32k now and the judder pops up when the car is driven for long in the traffic i.e. about 25 km at a stretch. My daily commute does not include such long traffic drive so usually do not feel the problem, but I know its there sleeping in the engine bay, just need enough heat and grind to wake it up . The judder is significant when taking full turns except when engine is cold, I do not face problem in the morning when taking U turn in the street. My 4th service is due in Aug, lets see how it goes till then. My SA knows me now by car, I am sure he will be unhappy to see me again with the same problem, already feeling little embarrassing now.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th April 2019 at 09:15. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 16th April 2019, 14:57   #315
Senior - BHPian

4 -5 posts back, I have posted about the AMT unit being replaced. The vehicle has come back and what is noticeable is that now, the gears shift at lower RPMs.

In stop and go traffic, the vehicle shudders and vibrates if the brakes are not pressed hard enough. I don't think that is normal.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks