Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 21:36   #1
BHPian

Volvo XC90 - Power Steering failure on day 1

Have been looking for a replacement for my 7 yr old Kia Mohave for quite some time. After weeks of extensive test drives & reviews, narrowed down on the 2016 Volvo XC90 Momentum Plus. Wanted one with black interiors. Fortunately the dealer had only one with Black interiors. Booked that and completed all the financial formalities.

Reached the showroom today afternoon and took delivery after completing the paper work. Started the vehicle and it seemed fine. No errors or warning messages.

Drove out of the showroom and was on my way home when all of a sudden, warning pops up "Power steering problem. Stop safely" .The steering becomes quite hard and had to take some effort to bring the vehicle to the Road side.

It was hardly a kilometer from the showroom when the error started displaying. The vehicle is now in the workshop and they have given me another XC90 as a courtesy car for now. Volvo guys will provide an update by Saturday.

Hoping the car does not turn out to be a lemon

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2016 at 09:57. Reason: Language & typos
praveen_n is offline   (8) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th May 2016, 22:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volvo XC90 - Power Steering failure on day 1

Had something similar with my v40 - within 30-40 km, had a message brake service required. Sent the car back next day. Thankfully it was just a bad sensor and the car was fixed and returned in a day with the sensors replaced under warranty. The service guys at Volvo Bangalore are good and I have had a decent experience with them so far - don't worry. My car also had no issues since then. I think they will fix and return your car soon. Please do keep us posted.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 19th May 2016 at 22:38.
Old 19th May 2016, 23:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

That is extremely sad. I hope it is something minor as a sensor malfunction. Do update us with the their diagnosis of the issue on Saturday.
Old 19th May 2016, 23:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

That must be very very disappointing for you, Right out of the showroom! I really hope it's something minor and you get back the car soon, But it sure does spoil the fun and expectation someone has for that special day while taking the delivery, Hope everything turn's out for the best, Do keep us posted.
Old 20th May 2016, 02:07   #5
BHPian

Even if hope it's a sensor malfunction but logically I thinks it's more than that..I fail to understand how the steering will become hard if the sensor fails
praveen_n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 08:38   #6
BHPian

I wonder how nobody has said this yet. IMO, you should ask them for a new car.
It's not a Maruti or Hyundai or Tata, it's a damn Volvo XC90, that's probably cost you ~80 to 90 lakh Indian rupees, that broke down on you, within a kilometer of the first drive! :O

Volvos around the world are known to last, and this is not a good sign. It's been an unpleasant experience for you, and even if they fix your ride and deliver it to you, there's always gonna be a doubt in the back of your mind, about it's reliability.

My suggestion would be for you to ask them for a replacement. You barely even drove the one that you purchased, so there shouldn't be much of an issue(experts on the issue, please correct me, if I'm wrong)

All the best, and keep us posted on how it goes!
MARCUS_520i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 09:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its quite funny with these so called high end vehicles. They have myriad of sensors to report and beautiful display to tell you whats wrong with various components. Most of the time the sensors themselves (not talking about this but in general) are bad. Whats the use if they cant do what they are supposed to do? I have seen this across mostly euro vehicles.
Old 20th May 2016, 09:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
Even if hope it's a sensor malfunction but logically I thinks it's more than that..I fail to understand how the steering will become hard if the sensor fails
It probably detected an error and went into some sort of limp mode. However this is just a hunch. Could be something worse. In my case there was only a message in the dash - no change in the way the car drove. There could be something faulty in the way these cars are transported and stored which might cause these failures. Volvo should look at these issues.

Who are you dealing with from the service center - Nikhil or Nitesh? I'd suggest you speak directly to Nikhil regarding what is wrong as he the chap who is quite knowledgeable and will hopefully explain whatever is wrong and what they are doing to fix the issue.

If they are unable to solve it within a reasonable period of time, press for another car.
Old 20th May 2016, 12:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
It probably detected an error and went into some sort of limp mode. However this is just a hunch. Could be something worse. In my case there was only a message in the dash - no change in the way the car drove. There could be something faulty in the way these cars are transported and stored which might cause these failures. Volvo should look at these issues.

Who are you dealing with from the service center - Nikhil or Nitesh? I'd suggest you speak directly to Nikhil regarding what is wrong as he the chap who is quite knowledgeable and will hopefully explain whatever is wrong and what they are doing to fix the issue.

If they are unable to solve it within a reasonable period of time, press for another car.
Forgot to update my signature/profile. This is not in India but in middle east.
I believe its not a major issue since the Volvo guys it seems were able to drive it to the service center even with the message displayed. (the steering was hard though).
They have promised an update by tomorrow. For now they gave me one of their test drive vehicles which is an R design. Atleast I have the option of exploring all the controls/features the vehicle has on this one rather than playing around with it on the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post

My suggestion would be for you to ask them for a replacement. You barely even drove the one that you purchased, so there shouldn't be much of an issue(experts on the issue, please correct me, if I'm wrong)

I am going to wait until tomorrow to find out what the issue was. If its something major then I will ask them for a replacement as you suggested. It does not inspire confidence if the vehicle breaks down on day one itself.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th May 2016 at 12:38. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote or Edit original post. Thanks.
Old 20th May 2016, 14:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
I wonder how nobody has said this yet. IMO, you should ask them for a new car.
It's not a Maruti or Hyundai or Tata, it's a damn Volvo XC90, that's probably cost you ~80 to 90 lakh Indian rupees, that broke down on you, within a kilometer of the first drive! :O

Volvos around the world are known to last, and this is not a good sign. It's been an unpleasant experience for you, and even if they fix your ride and deliver it to you, there's always gonna be a doubt in the back of your mind, about it's reliability.

No one said coz its not practical
We have few threads here which shows similar examples. Like reign said, might be small issue.

Love the new XC90's .
Do post pix of the 'R' and your SUV too.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 17:45   #11
BHPian

Collected the car back yesterday finally! It was an issue with one of the sensors within the power steering module but the Engineers from Volvo recommended changing the whole steering column instead of just the sensor which was done by the dealer.
It seems starting with new xc90 the process of analyzing faults in Volvos have changed.The fault detection systems at dealer location is connected to the Volvo datacenter/HQ in Sweden and the vehicle analysis is uploaded directly to the Engineers in Sweden who then recommend the changes that needs to be done. This means fixing a Volvo can take time if the Volvo network is down .(Atleast this is what the dealer informed me) .

Last edited by praveen_n : 25th May 2016 at 17:47.

Most Viewed