Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What handling setup do you prefer? - Understeer/Oversteer/Neutral
Slightly Understeery 12 17.14%
Slightly Oversteery 39 55.71%
Neutral 19 27.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2008, 21:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Numb steering feel in the Swift. The M800 feels more communicative at all speeds. Also very nervous when weight transfer happens under braking. Would not be a bad idea to add some metal ballasts at the back.
Old 9th October 2008, 21:47   #47
BHPian

Sam, that actually was vividly descriptive and quite helpful. How would you describe the behavior over bad roads in the back seat?
Old 9th October 2008, 21:50   #48
BHPian

ABS and EBD, I like to handle the brakes without the Electronic aids.
Note: Just my opinion
Old 9th October 2008, 22:13   #49
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I wish my rear didn't feel nervous on corners
Old 9th October 2008, 22:30   #50
BHPian

This is a very nice topic you've come up with ajith.

Most enthusiasts would like harder suspensions, precise, weighted steering and I think oversteer its so much fun to correct it by flooring the gas! (not that I know at all)

People more concerned with getting from point A to point B with the minimum fuss and maximum comfort would prefer a softer suspension and lighter steering.

Most cars tend to have certain handling/ride shortcomings. For example, Sam doesnt like the way his Verna rolls or pitches. Anyone who drives a Swift (and there are lots of us) probably hate the stiffness of the ride, because its not just stiff, but its also hard.

Some cars put together a good compromise. I've been driving a Fiesta lately, and its more precise than my Swift but its also got a softer ride over the bumps. Overall, its better in every aspect except perhaps the ride height is a little excessive so roll is more pronounced.

I personally like cars that are a little heavy for their size. They feel more planted and the car sticks to the road better even with a slightly soft suspension.
Old 9th October 2008, 23:13   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajith View Post
Sam, that actually was vividly descriptive and quite helpful. How would you describe the behavior over bad roads in the back seat?
Like a horror story. Sometimes I just get off the back seat and sit upfront when the road is bad.

Next time I take a test drive, I'm going to ask the guy from the showroom to drive and I'm going to sit in the back. lol.
Old 9th October 2008, 23:28   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Like a horror story. Sometimes I just get off the back seat and sit upfront when the road is bad.

Next time I take a test drive, I'm going to ask the guy from the showroom to drive and I'm going to sit in the back. lol.
That's what my dad and I do to evaluate the back seat comfort. You should change that Verna to something german.
Old 10th October 2008, 00:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

I like my car to be as neutral as possible with a slight hint of understeer. Suspension should be firm but not too stiff that the car keeps bouncing off road undulations.

Shan2nu
Old 10th October 2008, 09:07   #54
BHPian

Though it takes time to understand your car, I like mine to be predictable. Even if it does have flaws (which every car has I guess), I would want to be aware of it. Don't like surprises on a tricky corner or a tight overtake.
Old 10th October 2008, 10:18   #55
rippergeo

I like the Swift's handling. make that- I love it!
I wont talk about the steering feedback because I know I'll get flamed.
Given the right set of tyres, it can be made to go around corners like a go kart. it can be made to slide at will, it has very little body roll for a car it's dimensions.
I love the way it tightens its line in a hurry when you lift off the throttle mid corner(stupid thing to do- I know)
I also like the way it forgives you when you you push it too hard. it's easy to catch even after you make a hash of things.

Had the chance to drive the 2.5 litre endeavour on some hairpins recently. it was a complete hoot. I was laying rubber and smoking the tyres on every corner, playing with the accelerator in 2nd and 3rd gear
again, for a vehicle its size and stance, there is surprisingly minimal body roll, and it transfers its weight very well, except sometimes when it tends to lift the rear inside wheel during spirited cornering.
The power steering did not seem to give much feed back, most of what was happening to the car was felt through the seat, but it does change its direction quickly and willingly unlike other SUVs I've driven.

BTW Oversteer>>>understeer anytime I'm travelling alone.
if I'm with passengers, it will be the opposite.

EDIT- I hate cars with soft rides

Last edited by rippergeo : 10th October 2008 at 10:28.

Old 10th October 2008, 13:29   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Related Topic : Handling.

Definition of perfect handling from the current breed of Indian cars : BMW 530i. Audi 3.2 FSI may have better grip / poise, but the 5 has so much more feel!
Old 10th October 2008, 13:32   #57
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I drove the 525d recently and feel its the finest sedan on the planet in its class and below when it comes to overall handling and driving pleasure. I haven't driven the petrol 5's, am sure they are a delight too
Old 10th October 2008, 17:57   #58
BHPian

Does this mean that handling can be summed up in the 3 words above?
Old 10th October 2008, 18:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

Even i like the over steer part.
Its more enjoyable that understeer.!
Old 10th October 2008, 21:59   #60
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajith View Post
Does this mean that handling can be summed up in the 3 words above?
Afraid not. There's suspension geometry and damping, weight distribution, rear drive vs front drive vs four wheel drive, steering setup and feedback level dialed in, overall weight of the car and the power to weight ratio, use of lightweight materials in construction, and almost impossibly you cannot ignore the driveline and its gearing. Ultimately so much about how a car behaves in situations and how you handle it depends on the engine's tractability and the gearing. Handling is without a doubt the most complex variable in car manufacturing and in commercial sedans only BMW comes close to perfecting the art. They are simply delicious. That a car simply draws you into the driving experience is testimony to its phenomenal handling.

Oversteer and understeer or the lack of it has little meaning if the suspension is simply not setup to handle the forces a car encounters while cornering

In real world terms a great handling machine is one that inspires confidence as you drive it, and builds it along as you experience all kinds of situations and above all puts a broad silly smile across your face!

The first time I got down after driving a car smiling like an idiot was a brand new 750 iL. I simply couldn't comprehend how a car could grip a road like it was glued to it, as that magnificent sedan did. The 5's are so much more fun. Ofcourse I am leaving the sports cars out of this, they are a different kettle of fish

Last edited by DKG : 10th October 2008 at 22:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks