Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2015, 18:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto - Diesel engine stalled on the highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
Update :
Should I be more concerned ? Please let me know what sort of surprises can I expect.
Things to bear in mind before the ASC guys open up the engine.
Bro, I dont want to sound judgmental, but from the tone of your posts, you are ready to drop the hammer even before giving a fair chance to the ASC.

Let us hear what they have to say, though prima facia, the long service interval seems to have contributed to your perils.

--Anoop
Old 16th November 2015, 18:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The vehicle starts intermittently but I can hear the engine rattle. I don't want to end up cooking up the engine assembly.
Quote:
Update :
I called up FIAT RSA. They sent a Rescue Personnel guy who inspected the vehicle, cranked up and after observing the rattling noise from the engine compartment .
a) When you checked the dip stick level, was the engine in cold state ?
or was it just after the engine had stalled ?

b) Did you hear any rattling noise while driving before the engine stalled ?
Old 16th November 2015, 19:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
  • My vehicle has done ~87000 kms.
  • Last service done at ~65000 with all the clutch and timing belt replacement made as per FIAT recommendation for 60K service.

My worst fear is the FIAT ASC simply looting me in the name of Engine replacement. etc with a huge bill estimate.
You have missed the service by a huge difference in Kms, also as per owners manual, the 65K service should have been done at 60K or 4 year, which ever is earlier so that makes this a poorly maintained car. Now you are at the mercy of FIAT, hope there are no major damages and get some discounts on spares & labor. Is this a 75Hp or 90Hp car? Have you changed the timing chain earlier?
MilesAndSmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 19:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
22000kms since the last service?
How can you?

I have had a detailed discussion with Fiat guys regarding oils and filters.
UFI fuel filter can easily be used for upto 20K kms without any issues.
But that Selenia oil is no good beyond 10K kms.
I am not sure, but it can be timing chain snap as well, symptoms point out to it.
You are at fault here, so you cannot go running after Fiat. Just pray that its not something major.
I'm not prepared to run after FIAT accusing them, Instead i need information I need to be aware of information and whether to really believe in every thing what they say once they diagnose post opening of the engine assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Bro, I dont want to sound judgmental, but from the tone of your posts, you are ready to drop the hammer even before giving a fair chance to the ASC.

Let us hear what they have to say, though prima facia, the long service interval seems to have contributed to your perils.

--Anoop
Thanks Anoop, I'm not being judgmental except that I have to be prepared for what FIAT ASC is to say. I agree its a mistake from my end to not service it at the defined interval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
a) When you checked the dip stick level, was the engine in cold state ?
or was it just after the engine had stalled ?

b) Did you hear any rattling noise while driving before the engine stalled ?
a. I was in the middle of my trip when this event occurred. The engine
was not in the cold state.
b. I heard a squeaking sound right before it stalled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAndSmiles View Post
You have missed the service by a huge difference in Kms, also as per owners manual, the 65K service should have been done at 60K or 4 year, which ever is earlier so that makes this a poorly maintained car. Now you are at the mercy of FIAT, hope there are no major damages and get some discounts on spares & labor. Is this a 75Hp or 90Hp car? Have you changed the timing chain earlier?
It's a 90HP MJD, Timing chain belt replaced during my 65K interval. Yes being at the mercy of FIAT scares me the most after having read about similar such experiences by others.
srivatsahg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 19:24   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I'm attaching the picture of the oil dipstick reading. Mods please excuse my one liner response
+1 to all who have noted the 22K service delay.

The issue can be multifold -
1 - The oil itself is 'gunked' up, which is messing with the oil level sensor. When you pull the dipstick out, rub the oil between your fingers. It should feel 'clean'. If you feel a certain amount of roughness it indicates oil that is beyond its use by date.
2 - The fuel filter is clogged (sputtering engine)
3 - The air filter is clogged (change maximum at 10-12K in Indian conditions)
4 - Heat damage - one key aspect of the engine oil is to also keep lubrication up even in heated condition of car - if you were highway driving the engine does heat up. Coolant should ideally keep it at working temperature - however if you didnt have a coolant check/ radiator flush done at about this time, it could mean lower cooling. This will affect the engine temperature. Also, the oil being old and possibly contaminated (soot like you said) can stop flowing so well, which can further be the reason for this issue.

I think it should be resolved by the Fiat guys easily - an OBD scanner should show the errors. Also, when they drain the oil, the amount of debris will act as an indicator.
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 19:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

What is done is done - Can not change it. One can only say "Lesson learnt".

Coming to the issue, assuming that the car is out / almost out of warranty, my personal / sincere suggestion is as follows:

1. Get in touch with a reputed third party repair service such as Bosch.
2. Change Engine-Oil, Oil-Filter, Fuel-Filter and Air-Filter.
3. Get the fuel tank cleaned and fill-in fresh fuel.
4. Crank and check if things work - fingers crossed.

After this, think about future plan if required. Above 4 steps can be done at a Fiat dealer workshop also, by requesting them if you know somebody there.

I would have done this if I was in this situation. But, to tell you frankly, I would never have delayed service (for any reason what-so-ever) in the first place.

Anyway, let us hope for the best. Please update!
Chethan B G is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 19:53   #22

I think you will have no reason to uphold against Fiat or FASS as you have overshot the service interval by 7,000 kms.I service my punto every 10,000 kms as i think it is a safe service interval for mjd.Timing chain changed at 65,000 kms is also 5,000 kms behind schedule

Last edited by Eddy : 27th November 2015 at 16:35. Reason: As requested
Old 16th November 2015, 20:57   #23
BHPian

I think the OP has already realized the mistake made. Let's not point it out in each and every post. It feels awful anyway, when your ride is bust, and adding more criticism, doesn't help his cause. Shit happens. Srivatsa, my friend, leave behind what happened and take it to FASS, and maybe you could just ask them to replace all filters, fluids and oil in front of you and try. An OBD scan prior to that, would also reveal if other faults persist. This expense, in any case, you had to bear 7k kms earlier. May be you will be plain lucky: its just clogged fuel filter or whatever. My 2 cents, if you know an experienced bhpian or a relative well versed in cars, get the entire process done in front of him. If the car starts as it is, good, lucky you. Else, it needs further investigation. Just, do not allow them to tear down the engine on day 1. If they "threaten" to charge "parking fees" pay it. Everything said, ASS is no Gods favorite angel, and they WILL try to inflate bills and blow things out of proportion at the drop of a hat or perceived ignorance on the part of the customer. Once again, get in touch with an experienced bhpian or relative ASAP, OFF the forum, and NEAR the car. Take an informed decision with his help and not via hearsay.

And I think it is 10k Kms...not 1k!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 16th November 2015 at 21:09.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 21:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I agree that was a mistake on my part to prolong the time of servicing. Vecto motors Mysore Road, had informed me that my next service was due on 90,000 kms. I took that for granted without bothering to re-check the manual.
There's no need to refer the manual.
- The MFD will give you an advise of "Next service due in XXXX kms"
- and if you overshoot that service window the car will display a telltale lamp in the form of a light bulb, yellow in color
- this lamp will stay lit throughout when the switch key is on
- in addition to this, the MFD will display yet another notice "Service coupon expired, XXXX kms!".

I am really sorry to say this, you should have been more diligent. Whatever thing that you drive - a Nano or a supercar - it is simply irrelevant when you consider the fact that the car is supposed to protect the lives of you and your beloved when you are on the road. It is your responsibility to keep it in top-notch condition and not that of some service center guys.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 16th November 2015 at 21:02.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 21:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
I think the OP has already realized the mistake made. Let's not point it out in each and every post. It feels awful anyway, when your ride is bust, and adding more criticism, doesn't help his cause. Shit happens. Srivatsa, my friend, leave behind what happened and take it to FASS, and maybe you could just ask them to replace all filters, fluids and oil in front of you and try. An OBD scan prior to that, would also reveal if other faults persist. This expense, in any case, you had to bear 7k kms earlier. May be you will be plain lucky: its just clogged fuel filter or whatever. My 2 cents, if you know an experienced bhpian or a relative well versed in cars, get the entire process done in front of him. If the car starts as it is, good, lucky you. Else, it needs further investigation. Just, do not allow them to tear down the engine on day 1. If they "threaten" to charge "parking fees" pay it. Everything said, ASS is no Gods favorite angel, and they WILL try to inflate bills and blow things out of proportion at the drop of a hat or perceived ignorance on the part of the customer. Once again, get in touch with an experienced bhpian or relative ASAP, OFF the forum, and NEAR the car. Take an informed decision with his help and not via hearsay.

And I think it is 10k Kms...not 1k!
Thanks lapis_lazuli, I shall definitely get back on what ASC has to say. I would definitely more than glad if any BHPian who would be willing to take his time off to be present if at all they suggest opening of engine assembly.

Last edited by GTO : 17th November 2015 at 13:31. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
srivatsahg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 22:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact I have admitted the mistake on my part.
I was about to mention this. I really appreciate it.

In fact, most people would have simply avoided to mention this and gained sympathy.

Just avoid cranking before carrying out the first-aid. My gut feeling is that you do not have to open the engine. All the best.
Chethan B G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 07:14   #27
BHPian

Someone I know had a similar situation where the car stalled with pur any prior warning. The MID displayed some warning lights and the car just refused to start. It was towed to the service center and they finally diagnosed that the issue was with the turbo which gave up due to a mechanical failure.
The car was back to normal as soon as the turbo was replaced.
So may be you can pass this information to the service center to include this check as well when they start diagnosing. Iam not suspecting anything major in your case and I hope that the diagnosis and the fix would be completed asap and you get your peace of mind back.
Also, FIAT winter camp is starting today and they usually throw in some discounts on spares and labour, check on this with the FASC so that you can avail that benefit too. Kindly keep us posted on the progress.

PS : From previous posts, the car was last serviced in Feb 2015 and has seen quite some running in the last 9 months, so may be a good Idea to get all the other aspects checked and addressed too in case needed after the main issue is fixed.

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 08:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

everybody needs a fng you can trust and consult for first hand info so that you have an idea on what specific things and words to drop while communicating with ASS. Then there is lesser chance they will take you for a ride.
Old 17th November 2015, 08:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm attaching the picture of the oil dipstick reading.
Why does the dip stick register oil levels that are well beyond the point of the 'H' or High mark?

The last stub which is about an inch long is the only place where the oil mark should be visible. My car uses the same dip stick but not the same engine.
Old 17th November 2015, 08:54   #30
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto - Diesel engine stalled on the highway on account of my ignorance

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
The car was back to normal as soon as the turbo was replaced.
So may be you can pass this information to the service center to include this check as well when they start diagnosing.
Sure I will. Thanks for sharing this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Why does the dip stick register oil levels that are well beyond the point of the 'H' or High mark?
The last stub which is about an inch long is the only place where the oil mark should be visible. My car uses the same dip stick but not the same engine.
I always keep a bottle of Petronas Selenia 5W40 handy during my long drives. I have added the oil myself during my last long drive to Goa. (Unfortunately I just topped it without draining the existing oil reserve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
everybody needs a fng you can trust and consult for first hand info so that you have an idea on what specific things and words to drop while communicating with ASS. Then there is lesser chance they will take you for a ride.
Sorry @lurker Could you please care to explain what's fng ?

Last edited by GTO : 17th November 2015 at 13:34. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
srivatsahg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks