Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2004, 11:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda claims their first ever attempt at the diesel engine to set the benchmark. a huge claim with companies like VW, BMW and Merc already big into the diesel game with some of the finest diesel cars around. with Daimler CHrysler being the first ones around with the CDI engines they have come a long way, baby. but with Kenichi Nagahiro( for those who don't know the father of the VTEC, in other words automotive thrash metal) behind the whole project i didn't really doubt their claims. firstly, nagahiro hates diesel's, so the idea behind the project was that this diesel shouldn't sound like a diesel or react like one. and boy, did he succeed. if there is anything that needs to be pulled off to take the game higher, you can bet your life on the fact that either the Germans or the Japs will pull it off.
here is why the Honda CTDi is a breakthrough:
1). Friction Reduction: use of less-dense specific-function diesel oil, special swirl ports and swirl control valve mated to a cooling system and offset cylinders to calm the diesel clatter.
2)Pilots and Balancers: this being a second gen CDI engine, pilot burn is inevitable and a secondary balancer shaft system that sets up anti-vibration to cancel out noise and thrum.
3)Thixotropic Construction: block made of aluminium even though it's considered too weak for cylinder heads. so Honda just went ahead and developed a new way of casting cylinder head from aluminium like laminar plastic injection moulding. this gives a precise, cheap, highly rigid compact engine and is light which is not the case in CDI engines as they need thick sidewalls to withstand presssures created inside the system.
4) the clutch has been made self-adjusting so as not to have high-torque snatch as many diesel saloons esp the BMW 320d.
5) al in all: 2nd gen common-rail direct injection, four valves per cylinder, double overhead cams, variable nozzle turbocharger and a intercooler.

Specs: 2.2 litre Turbodiesel four, 138 bhp@4000 rpm, 251 lb ft @2000 rpm.
0-62 mph: 9.4 sec; 130 mph top speed; 52.3 mpg

question is how does all this new technology measure up to the already existing benchmarks?
CAR UK, the mag pitted the Honda against the BMW 320d and the Jag X-Type. well the Honda did very well, made more torque than the other two cars, had a better mpg figure than the other too cars, better emissions than the other two cars. the Honda is also about a 1000 pounds cheaper than the Jag and almost 3000 punds cheaper than the BMW.
the result of the head-to-head test? the author couldn't put his finger on a winner. the Honda won hands down when it came to the engine and the emissions and the mileage, but was criticised for cheap interiors, compared to a car worth a lot more money?. the BMW as always was the choice for driving dynamics. the Jag won it's brownie points for expressway cruising.

for me the answer was way too easy, the Honda all the way. i have always said this, and i will again, im a sucker for new-gen diesel technology. and the CTDi is the latest gen diesel technology, for now.
Old 26th April 2004, 11:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Old 26th April 2004, 14:16   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Though I trust Hondas dominance more in petrol powerplants, I have no doubts that they will come up with the best diesel engines around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] the Honda is also about a 1000 pounds cheaper than the Jag and almost 3000 punds cheaper than the BMW.
Within a 1000 pounds of a Jag? Ouch...that does not sound like a good deal, it just dosent carry the prestige of the leaping car.

GTO
Old 27th April 2004, 00:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hey great stuff P_Head,

The engine sounds almost too good to be true!

GTO, i guess the costs are still high as they are just starting up...give it some time i guess.

cya
R
Old 27th April 2004, 02:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey GTO, sounds a little pricey, but only till you realise that this is the base spec entry level X-Type. it's also FWD and has been happily raiding the PAG parts bin using Ford hardware. that was the whole plan behind launching the X-Type. the Jaguar loyalists will be cribbing about the quality of this Jag too. though what i do like is that this Jag comes with a torque overboost feature that boosts the torque from 243 lb-ft too 258 lb-ft for short periods.
Old 8th May 2004, 00:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

and for the record...........Honda's diesel Accord has set 19 world speed records in its class at the Papenburg high-speed oval track in Germany. One notable record for a production car in its class (2.0 - 2.5-litre engine) were achieving an amazing 92mpg over a 419-mile economy run. The Accord, driven by British Le Mans driver Robin Liddell, also managed a 133.04mph top speed over a one-mile flying start, and 84.25mph from a standing-start mile. During a 24-hour endurance period the i-CDTi recorded an average speed of 130.38mph. The record-setting car will be on Honda's stand at the Birmingham motor show at the end of the month.
Old 28th March 2008, 01:08   #7
BANNED

Hope this is the engine that makes it here. So CRV & Accord get this. What about Civic & City?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
here is why the Honda CTDi is a breakthrough:

1). Friction Reduction: use of less-dense specific-function diesel oil, special swirl ports and swirl control valve mated to a cooling system and offset cylinders to calm the diesel clatter.

2)Pilots and Balancers: this being a second gen CDI engine, pilot burn is inevitable and a secondary balancer shaft system that sets up anti-vibration to cancel out noise and thrum.

3)Thixotropic Construction: block made of aluminium even though it's considered too weak for cylinder heads. so Honda just went ahead and developed a new way of casting cylinder head from aluminium like laminar plastic injection moulding. this gives a precise, cheap, highly rigid compact engine and is light which is not the case in CDI engines as they need thick sidewalls to withstand presssures created inside the system.

4) the clutch has been made self-adjusting so as not to have high-torque snatch as many diesel saloons esp the BMW 320d.

5) al in all: 2nd gen common-rail direct injection, four valves per cylinder, double overhead cams, variable nozzle turbocharger and a intercooler.

Specs: 2.2 litre Turbodiesel four, 138 bhp@4000 rpm, 251 lb ft @2000 rpm.
0-62 mph: 9.4 sec; 130 mph top speed; 52.3 mpg
Old 28th March 2008, 02:45   #8

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Apparently the ctdi engine will soon grace our shores in the crv.There are pics of the crv with a ctdi engine undergoing testing in the ACI/overdrive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks