Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2014, 11:27   #1
BHPian

Brake Shoe Adjuster Broken!

Hi,

I was reversing my car out of my driveway in the morning when I suddenly heard something stuck as if the car had collided with something. I got down and inspected , the car was clear on all sides. I checked under the car but all clear. I put the car in forward drove a few inches and then reversed and there was no problem.
Then i drove all day as usual and everything was uneventful.

While coming back in the evening, I applied the brakes in some traffic and heard some kind of noise in the rear of the car and the rear right wheel got jammed. I somehow parked in the side and inspected, couldn't find anything.

Then I put the car in reverse and moved a few feet and drove the car forward it could be moved properly, but I heard some continuous noise in the rear right wheel. As if there is something in the drum, I realised something has broken in the drum. I was very close to home so I slowly reached home.

I took the car to Mahindra service near my home and they opened the drum and found that the brake adjuster had broken.

I have been advised to not use the vehicle until it is replaced. Nor do I want to take any risks. I talked to the service supervisor at Oberoi Fiat Noida. He advised me to get the brake fluid line blocked for that side and not use the car . The part is out of stock at Fiat's dealership at Noida and may take a few days.

The Mahindra guys insisted that blocking the line may confuse ABS sensors and further complication could occur. I simply drove very slowly and have parked the car until the part arrives.

Now I have a few questions.
1. How and what could be the reasons for brake adjuster to break?
2. What were the risks that I had driven the car even after its failure?
3. Could it have been very dangerous as the broken part could have got stuck and jammed the wheel while at high speed given that my drive is on Noida expressway?
4. What are the implications of driving the car after removing the Adjuster? (Not that I want to or I will)
5. What is the best best emergency procedure to follow in such situations?
6. To get the lines blocked or not?
7. Shouldn't a critical part like this be always in stock (It must not be a very costly part after all)

Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 12th November 2014 at 15:27. Reason: Typos
car-dent is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th November 2014, 12:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Brake Shoe Adjuster Broken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
Now i have few questions.
1. How and what could be the reasons for brake adjuster to break?
Were the rear brakes opened for service/cleaning some time? May be bad fitment.
Quote:
2. What were the risks that i had driven the car even after its failure?
Damaged brake drum / brake shoes. Maybe wheel cylinder damage.
Quote:
3. Could it have been very dangerous as the broken part could have got stuck and jammed the wheel while at high speed given that my drive is on Noida expressway?
It didn't jam, so no need to worry about what could have happened.
Quote:
4. What are the implications of driving the car after removing the Adjuster? (Not that i want to or i will)
The one wheel will not brake if the adjuster isn't there.
Quote:
5. What is the best best emergency procedure to follow in such situations?
I know you won't be able to do it, so no point in explaining THE best emergency procedure...
Quote:
6. To get the lines blocked or not?
If you are not driving the car and are waiting for the adjuster stock to come in and to be replaced, why block the line?
Quote:
7. Shouldnt a critical part like this be always in stock (I must not be a very costly part afterall)
Can't comment on company policies. But you could check with auto parts dealers/distributors in and around Delhi, and I am sure you'll get a replacement part. BTW, is your car still covered under warranty (I'd guess not)?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 22:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Brake Shoe Adjuster Broken!

I believe that the part would not be in stock as it must not be something that needs replacement on a regular basis. Replacement on account of either swear & tear OR breakage.

On that note do write to Fiat directly and this might get covered under goodwill even if the car is out of warranty. In case it is under warranty get the dealership to take it up with Fiat as a free replacement. There is a guy sitting in Oberoi's basement workshop in the room next to the stores who handles all warranty and goodwill cases on behalf of Fiat. Get on his case and get this sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
7. Shouldnt a critical part like this be always in stock (I must not be a very costly part afterall)
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks