Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2014, 11:04   #136

Re: Fiat Punto engine failure @ 57000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Please correspond with higher ups of fiat and raise a complaint in their website. They may offer you 25% discount like they did for me. Also they respond to fiat-india facebook page if you raise a complaint. Still I didn't go with them for repair as I don't know what all prices they will inflate to extort money from me.
Thanks Arunkk. Will it be possible for you to share the contact details of Fiat company officials please?

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th December 2014 at 11:09.
Old 28th December 2014, 11:41   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid77 View Post
I am in a similar situation with my Fiat Linea MJD Emotion, 2010 done 60K. I have a quote of 1.4L from the dealer. Half Engine assembly, Turbo recon and other stuff. I am unable to decide if its worthwhile to invest so much in a 4.5 year old car (who knows what problem is going to prop up next!!), or simple go for a new car......must say that I am completely disillusioned by the attitude of FIAT and its Service Network....would also advise strongly against going for any of their products.....
Mind sharing the story as to how and what led to this situation ? It would help the other Fiat owners be careful in their endevour towards keeping a vigil.
Old 28th December 2014, 12:19   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Mind sharing the story as to how and what led to this situation ? It would help the other Fiat owners be careful in their endevour towards keeping a vigil.
Sure.....it all started when I started getting a sound from the engine at around 57000 kms. The car is registered in Bangalore but, we have relocated to Agra (UP) now.....the FASS in Agra () diagnosed it as a timing chain issue....I was told that this is a known issue and that the timing chain replacement has been mandated by the company at the 60000 kms service....the car was out of extended warranty....so, I gave the go ahead and the timing chain was replaced ...my expense was around 11K......

Last Sunday...we were on our way to Delhi via Yamuna Expressway.....the speed was 110-120 kmph....after crossing the 3rd toll...which is a run of around 125 kms...suddenly the car engine started making knocking noise which went on increasing....I stopped to check.....it seemed to be coming from top of the engine.....nearest FASS was Obeoi FIAT, Noida......managed to trace their contact details....they advised to bring the car directly to the SC slowly.....I did just that.......

The investigations led to the diagnosis that the engine bearings had scrathes and one of these were even chipped off....the debris from this has circulated in the entire engine and engine overhaul was the only option.....oil was sufficient as required.....but was silvery in colour due to the debris.....the turbo alignment was out completely and needed repair......half engine block....different types of packing and gaskets......

I had no option but to leave the car and take a train back to Agra from Delhi with the family.....

Yesterday I got a quote for 1.3 Lakhs from the FASS....break up as follows:

HALF BLOCK 50000
TURBO RECON 23000
OIL PUMP 6000
WATER PUMP 3200
INLET VALVE 2000
EXHAUST VALVE 3500
OIL SUMP 1000
HEAD GASKET 1600
AUTO TENSNEOR 2100
SEALER 1200
SERVICE 7500
MISCELLANEOUS 5000
GASKIT SET 11000
LATH WORK 3500
LABOUR 9500
TOTAL 130100

Have no idea what to do now.....Any suggestions most welcome !!

I think I will go for the repairs...have to accept some responsibility for this as during the timing chain replacement there were debris in the oil as well....and the SA suggested to check the engine bearings as these might have scratches but, I ignored......the car seemed to work absolutely fine for the last two months ...so I thought my decision was correct....however in hindsight, we should have checked those bearings.......and I was wrong.....

Please help on the fairness of the charges.....

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th December 2014 at 13:22.
Old 28th December 2014, 13:06   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The detailed breakup of engine overhaul cost is as below.
Sl. No. Part Name Numbers Amount
12 Piston 9800
13 Piston rings 4900
16 Gudgeon Pin 950
Usually pistons come as a set with rings and pin. Get it confirmed.
Old 28th December 2014, 13:45   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arunkk. Will it be possible for you to share the contact details of Fiat company officials please?
First raise a complaint in the fiat india website. After that, with the complaint number you can correspond with Mr. Mangesh Kodalkar (mangesh.kodalkar@fiat.com).

Quote:
Sure.....it all started when I started getting a sound from the engine at around 57000 kms. The car is registered in Bangalore but, we have relocated to Agra (UP) now.....the FASS in Agra () diagnosed it as a timing chain issue....
Your story feels like a Déjà vu for me. I went through the same ordeal and the odo reading also same! Except the case that I didn't let them change the timing chain as there was no engine noise at that time. Not changing the timing chain even after their recommendation was the main point quoted against me by fiat. Now here is your case where the engine gave up even after timing chain was replaced !

Now I wonder whether there is any known issue with their 2010 batch of cars. Knowing fiat, it is very well possible that they already knew about it and just avoided a mass recall and instead decided to make more money out of these mass premature engine failures.

Quote:
TURBO RECON 23000
For punto, I got new turbo from OEM supplier turbo energy limited for Rs.12000/-.
If Linea uses VGT turbo, then price may be different.
But you can get it from them only if you are getting it repaired from outside.
You can find the local dealer contact details from their website:
http://www.turboenergy.co.in/after-m...ce-center.html

Last edited by arunkk : 28th December 2014 at 13:50.
Old 28th December 2014, 14:52   #141
BANNED

Quote:
For punto, I got new turbo from OEM supplier turbo energy limited for Rs.12000/-.

If Linea uses VGT turbo, then price may be different.
IIRC, the Linea does use VGT turbo as the engine in it is 90PS which according to the website catalogue quote MRP 32490.

Anurag.
Old 28th December 2014, 14:58   #142
Senior - BHPian

how can somebody make turbo for just 12000? that is cheaper than Chinese ebay turbos
Old 28th December 2014, 16:12   #143
D C
BHPian

Quote:
He suggested me to go for it as my extended warranty was going to get over. He quoted a price of 11.5k for doing this.
Arun, sorry to hear about this incident. I am just curious, why does a change under warranty cost 11.5k?

IMO, service advisors do not recommend a change of a part unnecessarily, because they always give you the damaged part back to you and most of the time you can identify if it was damaged.
Old 28th December 2014, 16:14   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
how can somebody make turbo for just 12000? that is cheaper than Chinese ebay turbos

Hey that is true, when mine was changed under warranty around 3 years back, it costed Rs 13500 on the bill. Mine is a Swift Diesel of course, but none the less, the FGT's are not that expensive.
Old 28th December 2014, 17:17   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Arun, sorry to hear about this incident. I am just curious, why does a change under warranty cost 11.5k?

IMO, service advisors do not recommend a change of a part unnecessarily, because they always give you the damaged part back to you and most of the time you can identify if it was damaged.
Though its under extended warranty, it doesn't cover the entire cost. What was told to me that the price will increase further if the warranty period expires.
Anyway seeing what is happening to others, I just saved that amount by not going for the change as my engine would have given up anyway after few more kms.
And in the workshop I got it repaired, they said there is no visible damage to the timing chain and this engine failure just cannot happen due to this.

Last edited by arunkk : 28th December 2014 at 17:19.
Old 26th February 2015, 13:01   #146
Senior - BHPian

Traveled about 400 KMs in my friend's 2011 Ritz VDi, which had 1.45L on the odo. The timing chain was replaced at 1.2L. The engine is still in fine nick performance and fuel consumption wise.
If Maruti can do it why not Fiat?
Old 26th February 2015, 18:12   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Traveled about 400 KMs in my friend's 2011 Ritz VDi, which had 1.45L on the odo. The timing chain was replaced at 1.2L. The engine is still in fine nick performance and fuel consumption wise.
If Maruti can do it why not Fiat?
Dear Rajeev, I request you to read the thread more deeply. My personal view is somewhere some one is not telling the truth. To me it appears to be a catastrophic oil failure most likely due to mixing of two grades. Kindly read my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
Thanks for the photos. As I stated earlier in my posting, the catastrophic failures is due to compromised lubrication.......

I am sorry, such a collapse of an engine, that too a Fiat multijet which powers many a car brands, at 57000 km is heart breaking and i sincerely think it is man made and not manufacturing defect. At many ASS/ work centres, we have to have systems not only fool proof but also monkey proof!

Views are welcome.
Old 26th February 2015, 19:16   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Hi,

Even the bigger turbos if you get it off the shelf, are cheap. Under 15000. Eg: Scorpio Turbo is 13000
Old 26th February 2015, 19:24   #149
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi,

Even the bigger turbos if you get it off the shelf, are cheap. Under 15000. Eg: Scorpio Turbo is 13000
Are these made from scratch or re-worked ones?
Old 26th February 2015, 19:28   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Are these made from scratch or re-worked ones?
Brand New ones. Company TEL.

By the way, a reworked turbo ie, one that got its entire core assembly changed, is as good as new. The outer shell of the turbo, doesn't wear out.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks