Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2024, 15:16   #1066
BHPian

Re: VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread

OBDeleven will be ideal and seamless to use unlike VCDS which has a long learning curve.
Gotham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 14:48   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
2) Which is a good site selling a proper VCDS cable ?
I am also looking out for a VCDS cable. Any good site from where I will be able to purchase the HEX2 version of the cable? Even if they are Chinese spoofs I am Ok to get and try.
livelyyoungman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 14:51   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham View Post
OBDeleven will be ideal and seamless to use unlike VCDS which has a long learning curve.
Thanks; I just ordered it today.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 15:08   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsilver View Post

Measuring the stretch on the Timing chain/belt

[/h3][/b]
The vehicle when approaches a certain mileage or age will lead to the timing chain/belt to get stretched. There is a way to measure the timing stretch in the form of angles. The logic behind this is that VCDS measures the total stretch by comparing the angles of the crankshaft and the camshaft.
Thanks for sharing all this information. Very interesting. A couple of thoughts and comments. The VCDS doesn’t measure the angle of the crank- and cam shaft directly. There are no sensors fitted that will allow it to do so.

There are however crankshaft and camshaft sensor. It only measures one particular position on the crank- respective cam shaft. Using the RPM of the engine and the fact that the crank- and cam shaft turn at different but fixed ratio the computer can calculate the angle between them.

On some older cars, e.g.my Mercedes W123 you can do the exact angle measurement on the cam shaft.

So it is a calculated value, from two given known reference points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsilver View Post
So a timing stretch can be caused by many things but mostly worn out guides and tensioners.
I don’t think so. Guides and tensioners on most engine have very little or no effect on the timing due to wear . They are designed to operate specifically as not to cause a change in timing as they wear down.

It will almost always be the chain or the belt stretch that is causing the stretch. However, on most car engine when replacing the belt/chain the tensioners and guides are often replaced too.

Rule of thumb is that chains tend to be able to stretch a lot more than belts. (You should see the chain on my Jeep Cherokee!)

On modern cars the timing belt might also drive the cooling liquid pump. So usually that gets replaced too, when replacing the belt. Replacing timing belts and chains is always a big job, so you might as well replace everything that will have wear on it.

Not too long ago I replaced the chain and tensioner on my W123. This winter I am going to replace the belt on my wife’s Ford Fiesta.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 11:16   #1070

I tried ordering the 2024 VCDS from Aliexpress for Rs.2200+, and it looks like they are NOT allowed to ship to India region.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...Cquery_from%3A

@StripleRider03 - Read all your posts and thanks for helping few fellow bhpians. Can you pls DM me, as my DM is not enabled yet. Thanks in advance!

Any other viable options and if any kind soul in BLR can help with cable for a day or two please?

Cheers
Mahi
Attached Thumbnails
VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-vcds-ae.jpg  

Last edited by MahiDesai : 11th August 2024 at 11:30. Reason: Added additional line to the post.
Old 11th August 2024, 18:14   #1071

Hi,

I have bought 2024 1.5 DSG in New Delhi. Is there any workshop around NCR who can tweek VCDS as i am not very conversant with the process? I have some friends in China and can get cable also. Let me know the exact specs and will get in 2 weeks.

Cheers!
Old 21st August 2024, 17:10   #1072

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bush View Post
I am based out of Hyderabad. If anyone wants to play around with coding VAG cars, please DM me. I am eager to try out the cable with more VAG cars and VCDS.
I see this post is more than an year old but do you still have the cable and can you help with tweaking some of the settings on my Slavia (1.5 DSG)?
I stay near KPHB/Hydernagar.
Old 31st August 2024, 12:15   #1073

Hi folks
I've a 2015 skoda Octavia TDI. I was wondering if there are any coders around Bangalore I can take my car to. There are a few niggles I want to get checked. My side mirrors have stopped dimming while my rear view mirror still dims. My seat memory switches don't seem to be working. The car seems to be slightly hesitant to go to 3rd gear from 2nd in city drives (goes to 1750 rpm before shifting) etc.
Old 15th September 2024, 11:09   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickKT View Post
I see this post is more than an year old but do you still have the cable and can you help with tweaking some of the settings on my Slavia (1.5 DSG)?
I stay near KPHB/Hydernagar.
Sure. Please DM me and we can connect.
eagle_bush is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks