Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2014, 20:45   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan's self-cleaning Car with dirt-repelling Paint

Nissan Invents "Self-Cleaning" Car with Paint that Repels Dirt!

Nissan Claims -paint technology could make car washes obsolete" and "drivers may never have to clean their car again". - What a relief it would be if this comes to reality!

Quote:
Quote:
It's called "Ultra-Ever Dry" and it's an "innovative nano-paint technology" that repels mud, rain and everyday dirt. One of the usual problems with these coatings is the fact that they have to be re-applied. Nissan doesn't say if "Ultra-Ever Dry" is a one-time application
Quote:
Currently, the Nissan Technical Centre Europe is testing the specially engineered super-hydrophobic and oleophobic paint that creates a protective layer of air between the paint and environment in real-world conditions on a Note hatchback.
The Japanese firm says the tech "has responded well to common use cases including rain, spray, frost, sleet and standing water".
Nissan says there are currently no plans for the coating technology to be applied to new cars as standard, but it is considering offering it as an aftermarket option in the future.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/04/nis...-car-with.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th April 2014 at 21:05.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 22:12   #2
BHPian

This might be a good option where the is no dirt. This technology will surely help against mud and water but until and unless it repels dust won't be making sense in our environment.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 11:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nissan previews Self-Cleaning Car with Dirt-Repelling Nano-Paint Technology

Carscoops
Nissan says cleaning cars will be a thing of the past if their newly developed self-cleaning paint technology has it's way. It's called "Ultra-Ever Dry" and it's an "innovative nano-paint technology" that repels mud, rain and everyday dirt. A Nissan Note, donning the specially engineered super-hydrophobic and oleophobic paint that creates a protective layer of air between the paint and environment in real-world conditions, is undergoing testing at Nissan's European Technical Centre. And I must say, the results are impressive. The Note's right hand side has the specially developed wonder paint, while the left hand side continues with a conventional paintjob.

Nissan's self-cleaning Car with dirt-repelling Paint-nissanselfcleaning12.jpg

Nissan's self-cleaning Car with dirt-repelling Paint-nissanselfcleaning62.jpg

Nissan's self-cleaning Car with dirt-repelling Paint-nissanselfcleaning102.jpg

Nissan's self-cleaning Car with dirt-repelling Paint-nissanselfcleaning112.jpg

Nissan's self-cleaning Car with dirt-repelling Paint-nissanselfcleaning32.jpg

AyAn! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 14:10   #4
BHPian

Re: Nissan's self-cleaning Car with dirt-repelling Paint

I hope and wish this becomes mass market offering. would save a lot of people the hassle of cleaning their cars. Also, it would be great if something on the same lines can be applied on Bikes.
Although, in our indian driving conditions, it has to be really master the art of self cleaning as here Mud, rain etc are not the only things. Oil, greasy hands, dust, the infamous paan peeks and more...
mandhir.s.bajwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 13:43   #5
BHPian

Re: Nissan previews Self-Cleaning Car with Dirt-Repelling Nano-Paint Technology

Very interesting technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
In the above two pictures, the headlights on the side that's coated with this new technology look much more dirtier than the headlights on the side which hasn't got the coating. Any particular reason for this? Could it be possible that the coating is effective only on painted/metallic surfaces?

Even the black colour area right below the painted surface of the right wing mirror is dirty where as the painted area is spotless.

Regards
ASVA

Last edited by ASVA : 26th April 2014 at 13:45.
ASVA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 13:57   #6
BHPian

This is not Nissan's tech, it's just using someone else's. This was posted somewhere online before, but here is the video of the actual technology in action:
hellmet is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 14:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post
In the above two pictures, the headlights on the side that's coated with this new technology look much more dirtier than the headlights on the side which hasn't got the coating. Any particular reason for this? Could it be possible that the coating is effective only on painted/metallic surfaces?

Even the black colour area right below the painted surface of the right wing mirror is dirty where as the painted area is spotless.
The magic paint is only applied to the sheet metal. The headlamps, fog lamps and other non-metallic areas have nothing to do with it. And I'm guessing the RHS headlamps appears to be more dirty because that side of the vehicle might have been subjected to heavier mud slinging, just to prove the mettle of the new paint.
AyAn! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 15:17   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The magic paint is only applied to the sheet metal. The headlamps, fog lamps and other non-metallic areas have nothing to do with it. And I'm guessing the RHS headlamps appears to be more dirty because that side of the vehicle might have been subjected to heavier mud slinging, just to prove the mettle of the new paint.
Or, it could also be that the treated area 'repelled' the dirt onto the headlamp & other areas around it.

On the LHS, the dirt merely stuck to its original point of impact.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 15:59   #9
gemi_kk

Loved this tech Entirely. Thank you Hellmet & Volkman for posting these videos. loved this stuff end to end. I want it on almost all of my stuff. From my Computer table, to Car, bike, shoe, Home windows. If possible, would love to have it on my Jeans too

Any info on the pricing of this? By when Can we expect this tech to be out and for public use?

Old 28th April 2014, 14:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
A great innovation from Nissan. I hope it comes to the market ASAP. Much needed for the Indian market. Hopefully, it wouldn't be horribly expensive to buy.
Oddly enough, the headlights on the Dirt Repelling side are much dirtier.
Old 28th April 2014, 16:31   #11
BHPian

This type of water repellance is similar to what a product called "never wet" delivers. But the main disadvantage and the reason i suspect Nissan has done this on a white car is because the paint surface loses its gloss and acquires a frosted finish, more like a matt finish. But the thing is if applied to a black surface, Neverwet leaves a whitish frosted tint on the surface, which of course never looks good as the non treated surface. Unless the engineers can solve this particular trait, I doubt that this type of technology would become popular. Or I guess maybe Nissan would release it with the lack of gloss and mention it to the customer.

Even in the pictures the side with the coating on the car has no visible reflections which i really think is due to this coating.
Old 28th April 2014, 17:20   #12
BHPian

Really impressive!
So do we see an imminent future where water-servicing and car-shampoos will be rendered obsolete?

But has this technology not been implemented in any of the ultra-luxury cars?
I am wondering how it happened first on a Nissan car, when so many other feature-rich , multi-crore super-luxury brands have not yet thought about such a feature.
Old 28th April 2014, 17:51   #13
BHPian

More than saving effort of maintaining the vehicle clean, i am sure it will help in using less water for getting the car cleaned. So it does have an environment aspect as well to it. And in country like ours which is staring at water shortage will definitely help.
Old 29th April 2014, 10:18   #14
BHPian

Hi Volkman,
Thanks for sharing the details.

This technology would be a cracker of the product and would give likes of 3Ms, car wash & wax companies and the neighborhood car cleaners a run for their money.

Commercial viability (affordability) and total cost of ownership would be the key.
But I am hopeful & I shall be waiting.
Old 29th April 2014, 11:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

I don't think this is going to hit the market as a standard offering anytime soon, at least not for another couple of years. And the aftermarket option would be a little too expensive for the regular Joe.

Till the time car cleaners are available at 200-300 rupee a month I don't think this is going to be a hit in the Indian market. The cost of this coating on the entire car would be equivalent to daily wash for 10+ years hence it wouldn't make sense to 99% of the car owners.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks