Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 19:41   #16

Just checked with teh mechanic he says the battery is dead :(

Now how much does the new one cost ? Any particular specs about it to take into consideration ?
Old 17th September 2008, 16:17   #17
BHPian

Suggestion needed for refurbished battery in NCR

Dear BHPians,

My Indica back home was left idle since May 2008 & no body even started it. It had a just 1.2 years old Exide battery which is now deep discharged.

So the car was not starting, my cousin jump started with a sumo battery tried to recharge in vain. So he decided to took off the battery & went to exide service, they kept battery for one day on charger & returned it.

All was fine for next 2 days & again the battery went down in just 24 hours of idle, I guess due to deep discharge it is now internally damaged & needs replacement.

But i am coming back to India in october & intends to sell my Indica, so dont want to invest in a new battery. Please suggest me about availability of refurbished battries good for next one year. Or any other pocket friendly solution since i want to sell the car. the solution which gives good service for next one year, to the future owner is good. Otherwise else the car is in good mechanical & electrical condition.Now my cousin takes it for ride of 10-15kms every week to keep parts rolling.

Is it a good Idea to get it repaired with a battery wallah or replace it with a refurbished one, and if yes:
1. where to get it done in NCR?
2. How much should it cost?

The brand new Exide costed me 2500INR in exchange of OEM Exide wich did good service.

Please suggest!

Last edited by arunforu1 : 17th September 2008 at 16:21. Reason: Additional Information & error correction
Old 17th September 2008, 16:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Friends, Got my SL500 Starter battery changed and Paid 17000 !!!!!
No options, No other battery would fit without alterations. Its a Special size made by Varta for Mercedes SL to fit the place left by the designers of the CAR!! Its a Small battery and would normally cost 4000 max.
The battery ran down completely and so some plates got weak, My fault.
Old 17th September 2008, 19:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
Dear BHPians,

My Indica back home was left idle since May 2008 & no body even started it. It had a just 1.2 years old Exide battery which is now deep discharged.

So the car was not starting, my cousin jump started with a sumo battery tried to recharge in vain. So he decided to took off the battery & went to exide service, they kept battery for one day on charger & returned it.

All was fine for next 2 days & again the battery went down in just 24 hours of idle, I guess due to deep discharge it is now internally damaged & needs replacement.

But i am coming back to India in october & intends to sell my Indica, so dont want to invest in a new battery. Please suggest me about availability of refurbished battries good for next one year. Or any other pocket friendly solution since i want to sell the car. the solution which gives good service for next one year, to the future owner is good. Otherwise else the car is in good mechanical & electrical condition.Now my cousin takes it for ride of 10-15kms every week to keep parts rolling.

Is it a good Idea to get it repaired with a battery wallah or replace it with a refurbished one, and if yes:
1. where to get it done in NCR?
2. How much should it cost?

The brand new Exide costed me 2500INR in exchange of OEM Exide wich did good service.

Please suggest!
I would advice against doing repairs on the battery. Past experience has shown that the job is far from safe - one 80AH Amron exploded after my dad got it refurbished against my advice. It was doing duty in our inverter.

Get a new one. You'll get some money (possibly trivial) for giving the old battery as junk.
Old 17th September 2008, 22:35   #20
BHPian

It is always better to get the same battery size as the original. A small difference is dimensions should be ok provided it does not come too near the bonnet. I still wonder why the batteries have so less life.

I live in the US now for some time and got a battery replaced for my Honda Accord. The old battery was from 2000. That means it lived 8 years. The new one has a 100 month warranty. That is close to 8 years of warranty. Of the 8 years the first 3 years carries a full replacement, whereas after that, the battery will be replaced by calculating the depreciation and you need to pay some extra amount.

But all this leads me to believe that batteries in India are not made reliable enough. I think the manufacturers are not doing enough to get the same quality as in other countries.
Old 20th September 2008, 22:21   #21
BHPian

My Fiat Adventure 1.6, was having DIN 50 Exide battery.
One cell of it died completly, and it was required to be replaced.
When i went to TATA dealership, they told me that they have Amaron battery, which is much better than Exide one.
I have installed it on their advice.
Can anyone tell me how to find the DIN no of my Amaron battery, and what does actually a DIN number signifies.
Old 20th September 2008, 22:40   #22
BHPian

Long lasting Exide battery.

I have the original battery in my Palio GTX and the car was purchased on 21st July 2003.
No hiccups as yet and car starts in the first crank. The battery is the Exide DIN50 but one of my patients who is a battery dealer is not very much in favour of the present lot of Exides that are there in the market.
He says the quality has come down drastically.
He still prefers Exide tubular batteries for the invertor but for automotive batteries he prefers Amaron, Bosch, Panasonic and in 4th place TATA green.
He states that all other batteries have compromised over the years.
DIN50 batteries are extremely difficult to procure in Cochin and most have resorted to using Amaron DIN44.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 20th September 2008 at 22:46.
Old 20th September 2008, 22:51   #23
BHPian

What the DIN number signifies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
and what does actually a DIN number signifies.
Deutsches Institut für Normung : Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Old 19th October 2009, 20:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have a DIN44MF Exide Freedom on my Uno which seems to have gone Kaput. Can anyone tell me what is the AH rating of the battery and alternative battery models. The car is not used very frequently hence I wouldn't want to spend too much money on the battery.
Old 10th March 2011, 20:32   #25
BHPian

Re: Battery Woes!

Hi,

After almost 4 years of usage the Amaron DIN 55 battery of FIAt Palio 1.2 ELX went dead. I am now in the market for a new battery for my car, preferably another AMARON. My local batterywala quotes Rs.5600/- for a DIN 55 4 yr warranty AMARON battery. He also suggested another brand called "BASE" a Panasonic company for Rs. 4700/- with 4 yrs warranty.

And there is another - AMCO with 1 yr warranty at Rs. 4100/-

Now I am confused which one to opt for.

Guys, your suggestions and recommendations please.

Cheers!

Sparkglow
Old 10th March 2011, 20:56   #26
Team-BHP Support

Base terminal is from panasonic and i have not heard any bad reviews yet. So if you are cost conscious you can try it. No harm, just my view.
Old 11th March 2011, 09:37   #27
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu! Whats ur take on AMCO with 1 yr warranty?
Old 11th March 2011, 10:55   #28
BHPian

Hi Sparkglow,

I got my Scorpio battery replaced with Amaron Black battery 10 months back for Rs.3300(in exchange of old battery for Rs.200 or so).

I went through all the Amaron battery types on their website and if the website is correct, all Amaron batteries(black,green,pro etc) are technically same and the cost difference is only due to the higher warranty they offer on the other types.

Amaron Black battery has 18 months replacement warranty and nothing after that(no prorata warranty). Cost of other Amarons was much higher, almost double. Since technically all of them are same, the battery should be good for 3 years as the other batteries. It made more sense to me going for a battery change every two years at this cost rather than going for double the cost batteries. This gives me more peace of mind since I always have a near new battery than a 3 year old battery in prorata. Even if I had the prorata warranty, i'll have to shell out more money to replace and since I had inverter, other classic cars and tractors, I went for Black.

Maximum Replacement warranty is only 18 months on any Amaron batteries of 65Amps(or 70Amps dont remember). Higher replacement warranty is available only on 65Amps or low.

I suggest you check if a Amaron Black is available for your car. I think the black battery with 18 month replacement should be available for a much lower cost. I used 70Amps battery but the original battery is 65Amps which is same as in Indigo. I think it may fit your car as well.
Old 11th March 2011, 12:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Hi Sparkglow,

I got my Scorpio battery replaced with Amaron Black battery 10 months back for Rs.3300(in exchange of old battery for Rs.200 or so).

I suggest you check if a Amaron Black is available for your car. I think the black battery with 18 month replacement should be available for a much lower cost.
Oops! Saw ur reply to my post a lil too late! I went with BASE Terminal (Panasonic) for Rs.4100/-

Cheers!

Sparkglow
Old 22nd December 2012, 22:43   #30

Hi All,

I have Palio MJD 2008 model. Car has done 40000kms. Yesterday morning
after a short journey of 6 kms, I turned off my engine at traffic
signal. When the signal turned green, my car failed to start.

After getting some help from passerby to push the car & started it with
gear. Later, a friend suggested me that the battery could be weak
possible culprit. After that I incident I have done about 25 odd kms.

Yesterday morning I didn't face any problem. However, took it to a local Exide dealer
to get the battery checked. The mechanic said one of the cells was dead &
I better go for a new one.

Am looking forward to your suggestions or opinions on:
1. If one of the cells isn't charging well, should I go for an
upgrade.
2. What are the current options for batteries in the market for Palio Stile
3. Any idea on the cost. The dealer suggested me to go for Exide New DIN44 which cost Rs
4800 w/ buyback of the current one.

Thanks,
Vivek

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks