Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 14:09   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service

Quote:
I am not sure if you are open to the pre-worshipped route, most customers of the niche segment are not.
They are Expecting around 30 Lac , any idea on procedures to get this transferred from CC plates to regular ? I believe we will have to pay Road Tax on Original Purchase price , what happens to Customs ? anyone having some recent experience on this ?
Old 24th February 2015, 14:25   #122
Team-BHP Support

Re: Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

They are Expecting around 30 Lac , any idea on procedures to get this transferred from CC plates to regular ? I believe we will have to pay Road Tax on Original Purchase price , what happens to Customs ? anyone having some recent experience on this ?
No customs duty has to be paid by you. You have to pay tax on depreciated cost. Depends on RTO to RTO.
If invoice value is 60 lakhs, afte r5 years it will come down to 30 or so, at 6% this means 2-3L tax
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 18:54   #123
BHPian

I know this might sound obvious at such a late stage, but have you written to the car magazine editors like Hormazd etc? Im sure one of them will take up your cause and escalate the matter to the right people. IMHO guys like CP Mistry and Ratan Tata arent the right people to approach as this matter isnt really in their top 10 list of things to do- need to find the guys whos jobs would be at stake if they dont react well to this!

I hope this gets resolved- kudos to you for your patience and consideration in not selling the car on.
nirav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 12:10   #124
BHPian

Hi Madmonkey,

Here is some potential good news for you,

http://www.business-standard.com/art...2501024_1.html

Now companies and directors are both responsible for events like yours including jail time!!
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 13:31   #125
BHPian

Hi Mad Monkey,
I have been going thru your posts quite honestly with UTTER Dismay and anger as the LR has been one of my Dream cars and you have shattered that dream completely.

Given the photos and Videos you have taken, you sure as hell have a strong case and you should take them to Court/Consumer Court. I just cannot figure out why you have not done that as yet ???

All the emails , photos and videos can be used as evidence.

I just hope JLR India /UK are reading about this issue . They have just lost one more potential customer for sure. better a BMW than this piece of crap.

Just a thought........Why don't you ask reputed magazine publishers like autocar India and their editor Mr Hormazd Sorabjee to help you. I heard he is a very helpful bloke.

Regards,
Seacat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 15:07   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey View Post
I have already written to Mr. Ratan Tata & Mr. Cyrus Mistry

Attachment 1342372

Attachment 1342373

Still yet to receive a reply from either one of them .

I did follow up the these letters with calls to the chairman's office at Bombay House .
I was put in touch with Mr. Shailesh Chandra who deals with Tata Motors issues at the Chairman's Office

After a few phone sessions he did get the people at JLR india to somewhat behave and they then offered extended warranty . Though this was only after JLR India had lied about my behavior to Mr Chandra .

Hey Mad Monkey,

Is there any update on the situation?
Completely unacceptable service.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 20:37   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
I just hope JLR India /UK are reading about this issue . They have just lost one more potential customer for sure. better a BMW than this piece of crap.
I can't stress on this enough, the vehicle has been maintained at JLR India's corporate workshop i.e the workshop owned by JLR India (TATA Motors) and not with a dealership.

I emailed JLR UK a detailed history of the vehicle. They simply forwarded it to the same people in JLR India I was already dealing with.

More details on this coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Hey Mad Monkey,

Is there any update on the situation?
Completely unacceptable service.
Yes, there is an update. Have uncovered a major SCAM with JLR INDIA.
  1. They have resorted to tampering with my vehicle to conceal DEFECTS (caught them on CCTV!!) .
  2. They have even gone to the extent of manipulating JOB CARDS and the SERVICE HISTORY of my Discovery.
  3. A non-genuine part was found in my vehicle. Makes me question the authenticity of repairs and parts used on previous occasions.

A detailed post on the same shall follow soon.

PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN DEALING WITH TATA MOTORS AND JAGUAR LAND ROVER INDIA !!
Mad Monkey is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 11:08   #128
BHPian

Quote:
I can't stress on this enough, the vehicle has been maintained at JLR India's corporate workshop i.e the workshop owned by JLR India (TATA Motors) and not with a dealership.

I emailed JLR UK a detailed history of the vehicle. They simply forwarded it to the same people in JLR India I was already dealing with.

More details on this coming up.

Yes, there is an update. Have uncovered a major SCAM with JLR INDIA.
  1. They have resorted to tampering with my vehicle to conceal DEFECTS (caught them on CCTV!!) .
  2. They have even gone to the extent of manipulating JOB CARDS and the SERVICE HISTORY of my Discovery.
  3. A non-genuine part was found in my vehicle. Makes me question the authenticity of repairs and parts used on previous occasions.

PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN DEALING WITH TATA MOTORS AND JAGUAR LAND ROVER INDIA !!
What? The corporate workshop of JLR went on to the extent of manipulating facts and playing around with the tampering of vehicle? That Non Genuine part is shocking

I thought of Tatas as one of the ethical lots amongst Indian Corporate muck, but this places them right at bottom with dirtiest of the herd.

Mad Monkey: Its not a big complicated process to file a consumer complaint and then circulate a copy of the complaint with media. Please visit this site to register your complaint online with national consumer helpline : http://nationalconsumerhelpline.in/ComplaintFile.aspx

Further reading and how to go about lodging a complaint at district consumer forum: http://www.vakilno1.com/legal-faq/fi...complaint.html

Needless to say, please preserve all the evidences that you have got in terms of receipts, emails, pictures and videos et al. They will be very useful.

I know it will take some time on your part to complete the rather lengthy process of going to the district consumer forum, but IMO, it worth every penny of millions you have spent on this lemon and every frustrating moment dealing with this corporate mafia.

Quote:
A detailed post on the same shall follow soon.
Any further news?
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 12:29   #129
BHPian

Let me start by filling in the blanks.

3rd June, 2014
The vehilce was sent to the workshop since the vehicle refused to start and the intrument cluster displayed an airbag warning. JLR technicians reset the vehicle and drove it to their workshop. It was sent to the workshop with nearly a full tank of diesel.

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-tank.png

The vehicle was personally returned to me by the Operations Manager on the 10th July, 2014.

There was almost no fuel and the instrument cluster indicated the fuel level was below reserve level. The periodic service (paid) had also not been carried out even after my giving them several written reminders.

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-tank-2.jpg

Not only this, there were damages on the interior and exterior of the vehicle.

The damages, as acknowledged them were as follows:
  1. Headlight grille crack
  2. Noise and rattles in the car
  3. Firewall beading loose
  4. Ft RH door trim marks
  5. Periodic Service of the car
  6. LH front door moulding turned white
  7. Foot-well light not working
  8. Ft RH mud flap broken
  9. Head light to be checked for fogging
  10. Scratch marks on sill panel near B pillar
  11. Control Knobs surface peel off

Imagine receiving your vehicle from the workshop like this:

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-damaged-trim1.jpg

Damaged Interior Panels

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-damaged-trim2.jpg

Damaged Interior Panels

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-knob1.jpg

Damaged AC Control Knob

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-fogging.jpg

Fogging in the headlamp

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-crack.png

Headlight grille crack

Also, one fine day, for no good reason, the suspension decided to go into extended mode. I was parking the Discovery at my residence, the ground is perfectly flat.

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-suspension-extended.jpg

I sent the Discovery back to the workshop on the 25th of July.

19th August, 2014

The vehicle developed starting problems from 16th August, 2014.It would not always start on the first try . Locking and unlocking the vehicle multiple times would reset the vehicle and it would eventually start. However, on 19th August, 2014, the vehicle refused to start at all. My discovery had to be taken to the workshop on a flatbed (6th flatbed ride !!).

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-7115-flatbed.jpg

I e-mailed the Vice President (Jaguar Land Rover, Tata Motors India) and the National Service Head soon, notifying them of the same.
Mad Monkey is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 12:58   #130
Senior - BHPian

Mad_Monkey, usually when one sends out a corporate email, it is opened by the secretary or assistant. And it is at this level where there is connivance with dealers and company employees. Is there a way to reach these eminences directly without their personal office or staff, is what I would like to know. Someone like Hormazd SorabG may be more helpful in this matter as he may be on personal terms with Cyrus Mistry or Ratan Tata, and let them also know of the shenanigans taking place here.

I mean what do these people have to lose, their credibility is on the line and it's being toyed around with by some non-entities without their knowledge.
Old 17th March 2015, 13:41   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Mad_Monkey, usually when one sends out a corporate email, it is opened by the secretary or assistant. And it is at this level where there is connivance with dealers and company employees. Is there a way to reach these eminences directly without their personal office or staff, is what I would like to know. Someone like Hormazd SorabG may be more helpful in this matter as he may be on personal terms with Cyrus Mistry or Ratan Tata, and let them also know of the shenanigans taking place here.

I mean what do these people have to lose, their credibility is on the line and it's being toyed around with by some non-entities without their knowledge.
I don't know how true that would be. Attaching screenshot of an email where Cyrus Mistry himself got the email on his phone and forwarded it to his office for further action. Then again, this might not be true with other corporate honchos. I was impressed by seeing that personal intervention from the MD of a corporate house and that's the reason I thought of Tatas to be more ethical than other business houses in India.

Notwithstanding, your point of approaching Mr. Sorabji seems like a good suggestion too. I would also recommend making this story viral through twitter and FB. May be our own T-BHP FB page can re-run the story by tagging Tata Motors / JLR and if there exists official pages of Ratan Tata and/or Cyrus Mistry. Mods: Any merit here in this suggestion?
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-img20150317wa0001.jpg  

1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 15:05   #132
BHPian

As my Discovery disappeared into the horizon on the 19th of August, I silently wondered when I'd see it again.

The Operations Manager, who personally attends to my Discovery requested I leave the vehicle with them for an extended period of time. He claimed that he'd like to subject the Discovery to 1000 kms of rigorous testing before he handed the vehicle over to me. I agreed, rather reluctantly, hoping it'd ensure peace of mind for the next 10000 kms.

The vehicle was returned to me on the 30th of September, 2014.

Now, 30th September was the day Mumbai witnessed freak showers. Absolute hell had broken loose on the streets thanks to the sudden downpour. Little did I know that these showers were about to uncover a new set of problems that the workshop had left in the car. If they planned on surprising me, they succeeded!

Imagine my plight, when in the middle of a terrible downpour, my front wipers refused to work! I could see the nozzles spraying water on the front windscreen when I pushed the button, but the wipers didn't function. I soon realized, on pressing the button, the nozzles would spray water on the front windscreen, but the rear wiper would get activated. If I triggered the rear wash-wipe, it'd spray the rear windscreen and wipe the front!

Talk about things that can be tragic and funny at the same time!

For a moment, I thought I had forgotten how to activate the wash-wipe function. I reached for the glovebox to check the user manual, and lo! The glovebox light didn't come on. There I was, in a 3 ton monster, parked at the side of a busy road in the suburbs, amidst heavy rainfall, trying to read the service manual because my wipers won't work properly. *FACEPALM*

But wait! It doesn't end there! The malfunctioning wipers and the non-functioning wipers weren't the only problems JLR decided to surprise me with. There was more damage to the interior!

Name:  Damage around instrument cluster.PNG
Views: 2400
Size:  321.7 KB

Damage around Instrument Cluster

Name:  Damage around instrument cluster  2.PNG
Views: 2015
Size:  291.3 KB

Damage around Instrument Cluster (another angle)

Name:  Damaged StartStop Button.PNG
Views: 2649
Size:  502.4 KB

Damaged Start-Stop Button

Name:  Degradation on Binnacle.PNG
Views: 1781
Size:  503.8 KB

Nope, they did not fix the AC Control Knobs

Name:  CPillarTrim  Airbag Tab sticking out.PNG
Views: 1750
Size:  561.2 KB

If you are wondering what is sticking out from the C-Pillar, it is a part of the curtain AIRBAG .

On the 18th of October, the Park Brake Warning flashed on the instrument cluster. I notified the Operations Manager of the same.

The Discovery was taken to the workshop to rectify the Park Brake Fault to fix damages caused by them in the first place!

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-park-brake-warning-1810.png

Picture of the Park Brake Warning

The jobcard given to me, was hand written (!!); more on this later:

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-jobcard-1810.jpg
Scan of the Job-Card

The Discovery was returned to me on the 19th of November, 2014 after having spent a month at the JLR workshop.

I crushed lemons under the Discovery, praying that the lemon crushing ritual would fix this behemoth of a lemon. I also arranged for a small puja of the Discovery, broke a coconut and sprinkled water on the car. To top it off, I offered some prasad to the Operations Manager, which he accepted with grace. I'm pretty sure he was praying slightly harder than I was.

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-1911.jpg

The very next day, the air-con behaved erratically. I had no control over it; re-sharing the video link:

Last edited by Mad Monkey : 17th March 2015 at 15:15. Reason: Problems with attachment
Mad Monkey is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 16:39   #133

Fortunately one of your earlier posts dissuaded me from buying a land rover. I cannot believe this unpleasant experience of yours has continued for so long. I did not expect this from such a reputed establishment such as JLR. I wonder if they guys over in the UK know of your experience, and if they do why they haven't intervened. At this rate the brand is sure to self destruct. No, I don't think even a refund would do for the trouble and loss of time and money it has cost you over the years. RIP JLR.
Strnglv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 16:46   #134

madmonkey why do you keep this piece of junk. Get JLR to replace the car for you, its a lemon. I hope you only use this car in the city because someday you will definitely get stranded far away from home. I have also owned a lemon of a car and I can tell you its not fun when you do break down. I dont see how this car would be considered road worthy in any European country or USA. I was looking forward to the Jag XE coz its almost time to replace my 320d but I think I will stay away from these loons.
junaid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 17:00   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Operations Manager, who personally attends to my Discovery requested I leave the vehicle with them for an extended period of time. He claimed that he'd like to subject the Discovery to 1000 kms of rigorous testing before he handed the vehicle over to me. I agreed, rather reluctantly, hoping it'd ensure peace of mind for the next 10000 kms.
^ the above move IMO does not make sense cause i would never leave my vehicle for a random "rigorous" test of 1000 odd kms to a SA. Many things can go wrong in this span. Also you may never know of part change/s which can take place. The vehicle may / would have been used for their personal use too, you never know ? But, i know as you were frustrated with the series of events & your LR letting you down on so many occasions, so you thought lets might as well try this too. It may have backfired in that span.

Quote:
The vehicle was personally returned to me by the Operations Manager on the 10th July, 2014.

There was almost no fuel and the instrument cluster indicated the fuel level was below reserve level. The periodic service (paid) had also not been carried out even after my giving them several written reminders.

Not only this, there were damages on the interior and exterior of the vehicle.

The damages, as acknowledged them were as follows:
  1. Headlight grille crack
  2. Noise and rattles in the car
  3. Firewall beading loose
  4. Ft RH door trim marks
  5. Periodic Service of the car
  6. LH front door moulding turned white
  7. Foot-well light not working
  8. Ft RH mud flap broken
  9. Head light to be checked for fogging
  10. Scratch marks on sill panel near B pillar
  11. Control Knobs surface peel off

Imagine receiving your vehicle from the workshop like this:
Damaged Interior Panels
Damaged Interior Panels
Damaged AC Control Knob
Fogging in the headlamp
Headlight grille crack
^ Shocking & Really shameful on LRs behalf, i believe even Tata cars shouldn't be trated that way & in this case its a 1 Cr Full size SUV for God sake

Last edited by karan561 : 17th March 2015 at 17:03.
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed