Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2015, 13:50   #106
BHPian

Re: Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service

First of all, madmonkey, hats off to your patience! Everytime, I read your post, I kinda take it personally and lose my cool and I just wonder how you maintain your composure! Considering the money that you have paid for the car and the kind of treatment that the ASC are meting out you, I don't know what keeps you from showing them your dark side!
I see fellow BHPians recommending you to sell the car but to achieve what? What may bring peace of mind to you will only cause a lot of loss and heartache to someone else. And what if that other person is another user on this forum who buys it because it's a Land Rover available at a juicy price? Irrespective of whether you sell it to a dealer or to an individual... if it is bought by another user, it will still keep showing it's colors. I think the best way to get closure is to drag down these JLR ASC people from seats and pile on a lawsuit that will make them hurt. Or, if possible, just ensure that this certified lemon car goes to the junkyard or someplace where it cannot create more problems for itself or other human beings.
Other than that, I am actually out of ideas! :(
Old 20th February 2015, 16:55   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service

Mad Monkey - I am gutted to hear your horror stories with a car that is expected to have bullet proof reliability. I take my hat off to you for showing the patience you have. I may have resorted to other desperate measures to bring the entire brand down and along with them the dealership.

As many other BHP'ians have suggested, it is worthwhile writing to Mr. Ratan or Mr. Mistry and give them the url to this thread.

Damages done by the ASC to the AC switches, interior finishes and then the audacity to blame you really takes the cake.
Old 20th February 2015, 17:03   #108
BHPian

After reading madmonkey's experience, I decided not to complain about TOYOTA's service quality.They did a much better job on my car which coasted around 25% of Discovery 4.

BTW, is madmonkey the original TBHP handle or you decided it after your discovery experience?
Old 21st February 2015, 02:13   #109
BHPian

OMG!!

And I thought these things only happen to the poor men's cars aka Tata and Mahindra. (Before people start bashing me, I am coming from my share of bad luck through my Xylo which is now sold since it was stable.)

Hats off to your patience all throughout. But do you think its worth it?

Selling such an unpredictable car also is not a solution as it will just end up transferring the pain and the huge huge risk to someone else.

Like many people have asked, kindly enlighten us on why are you not dragging this blasphemy of a company to court? You deserve nothing short of a replacement or all your money back which includes the value of a brand new car plus the mental agony which again should be no less than double the value at the least. I am sure you are more than capable of doing this than why not??
Old 21st February 2015, 09:11   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

I am at a loss of words here. What I am unable to understand is that why are you tolerating so much nonsense? Your car gives you repeated problems, spends mot of its time in the workshop where rather than addressing your issues, the workshop people manage to scratch additional body parts. Lastly the management attitude of Tata has been atrocious.

So what is it that is still motivating you to continue living out this ordeal? Or is there more to the story that we don't know?

I had heard that Ratan Tata himself takes interests in solving issues like this. Can't he help you here? Did you try contacting him on twitter?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 16:40   #111
BHPian

I have already written to Mr. Ratan Tata & Mr. Cyrus Mistry

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-ratan-tata0001page001.jpg

Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-cyrus-mistry0001page001.jpg

Still yet to receive a reply from either one of them .

I did follow up the these letters with calls to the chairman's office at Bombay House .
I was put in touch with Mr. Shailesh Chandra who deals with Tata Motors issues at the Chairman's Office

After a few phone sessions he did get the people at JLR india to somewhat behave and they then offered extended warranty . Though this was only after JLR India had lied about my behavior to Mr Chandra .
Mad Monkey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 15:31   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sad to see the car spend more time at the ASC rather than with you!

What does Tata have to say on this?
It really is sad.

Tata doesn't have much to say on this. I have attached the letters sent to the Tata Heads in the post before this. No reply from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I think it's high time you spoke to Ratan Tata directly- am sure you have the werewithal to pull that off. This is getting ridiculous.
I have tried to do that. But to no avail. It became ridiculous a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
Selling a car is only the beginning; the real job begins when you begin to service the vehicle and bring that wide grin on the face of the customer.
I thought TATA has come of age and is more matured when I heard about it's purchase of JLR. But looks like "Money can buy you fancy overseas companies, not their values".
The Tatas are known for ethics, but I don't understand what is happening these days. If only JLR was run like a professional company in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Monkey,

Can you explain to me why you are still wasting your time on this vehicle? It's clearly troublesome - like most high end Land Rovers & Range Rovers are - and whatever you do, it'll never offer you a trouble-free ownership experience.

Please cut your losses, sell it off and buy something else.
Rush, but what about the next person who buys it? It will be a crime to sell it to an unsuspecting innocent buyer. Besides it may not last the full test drive of a new buyer without breaking down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
Mad Monkey, do you practice meditation? Take my bow for this level of patience.

If my maruti would have given half the problems you have faced, I had rather sell the car and be car-less. Luckily, you are a blessed soul, why waste your time, energy and resources on this junk yard car?

Obviously, you have the option to upgrade/lateral-shift or even downgrade. And after all these troubles, I feel you need to pleasantly treat your mind and soul(in-lieu of all the harassment) with a mighty awesome Land Cruiser.

The expected brilliant ownership of a LC may hopefully reimburse your apathy slightly.

Good luck.

Wishing to get a good update from you on this thread.
I have been practising Krav Maga and Taekwondo (if that is how it is spelt), but I should probably move on to meditation.

An LC will cost be 1.5cr odd, which is far too high. A G350cdi would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
@madmonkey
After skimming through your thread the following comes to mind:

1. The vehicle and after sales service provider constantly compete with each other, to be the worst and most frustrating they possibly can.

2. You should sell your car to someone who doesn't have access to the internet. If one were to google land rover discovery problems I'm sure this thread will pop up !
I am sure had the service been competent I would not have faced most of these issues, and even if I had they would have been solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is quite shocking. Why are you still living with this vehicle? Have you tried writing to UK and ask for a replacement?
Believe me, I have tried doing everything. Forget a replacement, I will be happy if they buy back my car at a fair price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Dear Mad Monkey,

Your patience is truly unbelievable and rare in current age. Only that its being wasted on a trash. I just went through whole thread and am really amazed at the incompetence of JLR TATA, the dealer and bunch of jokers you are dealing with.
I STRONGLY suggest you to write to CP Mistry on this and take this to highest possible level. He does checks his email and personally looks into such issues which damage equity of Tata Sons in any way (this is my personal experience with one of the Tata products)
I have tried writing to a lot of people including Mr. Mistry and Mr. Tata, but there has been no personal response from their end, and when the response is delegated we have seen what has happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
The only thing I found amusing about your post was the opening image, in which you used Sai Bab's Fled Beld Services. After that it was all downhill, much like your ownership experience.

I think the time has gone to reach out to the higher authorities, this is clearly a case of the car being poorly serviced. The only way these fools are going to be straightened out is to use a concerted media campaign showing how money doesn't always buy you peace of mind.

Poorly managed, this entire ownership experience. Amazing how your whole experience has been littered with this, it's not a one-off. Get rid of this lemon, sometimes it's no use making lemonade when life (or JLR) hands you some.

Get rid. Simple as.
I am not the only customer has gone through this, the main point of this thread is to bring to the notice of prospective JLR customers how the after sales is. If I can stop a few other people from putting their lives at risk, I will be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveallkaran View Post
Mad Monkey you should dispose off this Tata Discovery and get yourself a Toyota Landcruiser- The Pride of the World, as quoted in toyota ads.
Unfortunately after this whole charade, I don't have 1.5cr to spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
@Mad Monkey : As everybody here suggested, why not put the car up for sale ? Well, I'm sure you will be open with the issues on the car but why go through the turmoil of dealing with such imbeciles. I read your encounter and I'm working up a storm of anger in my mind.

Is there a sentimental thing with this car ? If that's the case may be an Independent Garage can help you. I'm sure there are many Independent Garages who could repair the product once and for all. Warranty you say, but it clearly is not helping the case.
An independant garage probably won't be able to deal with the electronics of this car, then again neither can the official service centre.

I want JLR to fix this car without paying a penny to them, since their incompetence has caused many of the issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Wow - I did know RR (not the other RR) has its share of demons back in UK. So many forums in UK talk about scourging of parts from scrap yards to make their RR work the next day. But to charge 1Cr and NOT provide the service backup for a known issue-monger of a car is pathetic.

It makes me think - the reason why TATA and JLR got together in the first place is..."JLR is after all making Indigo Manza and Tata Safari in a different skin and thats why the 2 companies could sync together"
This is more like the original Indica in different skin, except this has many more things which have gone wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post
1. As most said, firstly, Hats off to your patience!

2. You must raise this issue to Tata and try for a replacement. (I dont know how tough/practical this is).

3. If possible hire a knowledgeable person (may be part-time) who can take care of the car unless it is sorted or when it is in garage. This car has already cost you lot of time and fatigue.

4. Never give the car again to this workshop. They don't respect you, they don't care for your vehicle. Move to an independent competent workshop

5. If you want to sell this lemon, sell it to some one who will rip off the electrics and use the basic car for hobby like off-road (chances are less to find such hobbyists in India)

6. If you love Land Rover, get another Disco/Range Rover and move on! This car is getting worse day by day due to manhandling by the service centre. Its is not impossible to bring it back in shape, but it is going to be very time consuming and difficult to find a competent resource. The work done now needs to be very detailed and precise.

I feel bad that we still cant afford expensive cars in India because of the incompetence of the service staff. I wish you success. Keep posting. All the best!
Thank you.

Already been tried, see my post above.

Exactly when I cannot afford to spend more on this car.

This is a company owned workshop, its high time they raise the standard of work.

Get another Disco/RR Not in this life time.

Thanks for your wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
We can do our bit by tweeting the link to this thread to @jlrindia and @jlrpr. I have already done that.
You can also tag @bmwindia and @audiIN to make JLR feel shameful about the whole thing (assuming they care)
I highly doubt that will make a difference to them, since I am not Salman Khan or Ekta Kapoor, thank you though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
What I am unable to understand is - why could the company not replace the vehicle? 1 . 5 crore is a large amount. What is JLR trying to pull off in India?
That is something I too cannot understand. For a company that is doing so well worldwide, it is stupid on their part to not replace a clearly defective car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
After reading madmonkey's experience, I decided not to complain about TOYOTA's service quality.They did a much better job on my car which coasted around 25% of Discovery 4.

BTW, is madmonkey the original TBHP handle or you decided it after your discovery experience?
Well the handle was decided just for fun, but it is turning out to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am at a loss of words here. What I am unable to understand is that why are you tolerating so much nonsense? Your car gives you repeated problems, spends mot of its time in the workshop where rather than addressing your issues, the workshop people manage to scratch additional body parts. Lastly the management attitude of Tata has been atrocious.

So what is it that is still motivating you to continue living out this ordeal? Or is there more to the story that we don't know?

I had heard that Ratan Tata himself takes interests in solving issues like this. Can't he help you here? Did you try contacting him on twitter?
I have tried everything, trust me.

As stupid as it may sound, this car is still lovely when it does work. Of course that is not reason enough to continue with this. I am till hoping JLR may develop some sense and do something about it.

Thank you guys for your support, I shall definitely update this thread very soon.

p.s - like someone suggested, I did consider donating this car to the BMC to be used as a garbage truck (though I am no Maharaja), but I would not want to see garbage stuck on the streets of Mumbai.

Last edited by Mad Monkey : 23rd February 2015 at 15:33.
Mad Monkey is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 15:46   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know but I have always read good things about Mr. Tata specially regarding customer satisfaction. Is there a possibility your mail just went unnoticed?
Old 23rd February 2015, 16:55   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I don't know but I have always read good things about Mr. Tata specially regarding customer satisfaction. Is there a possibility your mail just went unnoticed?

In follow up to the email, hard copies of the letter were hand delivered to both, Mr. Tata's and Mr. Mistry's respective secretaries.
Old 23rd February 2015, 17:24   #115
BHPian

I have just gone through your thread and I would like to bring to notice a similar kind of experience which we had with Land Rover Freelander 2. While coming back to home, just before 60,000 service mark, the brakes failed suddenly. Since it was in city and the speeds were low, we went and collided with a Wagon R in front of us. After agreeing to pay for the damages of the WagonR, he went away and slowly we drove the vehicle back home by engaging handbrake and driving very slow. Next morning a flat bed arrived and the vehicle was towed to the service station.

The reason for brake failure was drainage of brake fluid because of some loose connection between the brake wire and the brake near the front left tyre. The sales advisor, has stated the following reasons for the loose connection happening
1. Vehicle may have gone off-road and some stone might have hit it
2. The service interval is just 6 months and we were in 6.5 months as 60,000 mark wasn't yet touched and the connection will not last for more than 6 months
3. Cannot actually determine what and why this has happened (this is also one of the response that he gave)

This kind of lukewarm attitude really agitated me and when I confronted him strongly, he coolly replied that "lets thank Gods that nothing serious has happened". After a week, the necessary part arrived from Mumbai and were replaced free of cost and a 60,000 service was done.

The thing which I'm unable to digest is that,
1. My family regularly does highway touring, to the tune of 1500 kms on highway every month in this vehicle. What is something of this sort would happen wen going even in the speeds of 100 KMPH.
2. My grand father, who was in the car at that time have been travelling in cars for the more than 50 years and he says he has never seen anything like this happen
3. The attitude with which the JLR has received the complaint is further horrifying

I has a policy of not buying any car which isn't made in India, as I really doubt how they can withstand our Indian roads and this was our experiment with an import as my grandfather's father had a defender and he was very keen on buying a LandRover. This would be my last LR and I seriously doubt if any other import would be bought
abhiram.soma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 12:41   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey View Post
An LC will cost be 1.5cr odd, which is far too high. A G350cdi would be perfect.
Unfortunately after this whole charade, I don't have 1.5cr to spare.
I am not sure if you are open to the pre-worshipped route, most customers of the niche segment are not.
But this particular classified may just been for you. Giving it a try wont do any harm, besides, this beast shall still be umpteen number of times better than the current disco you are bearing.
Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service-unnamed.jpg

Regards
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 13:39   #117
BHPian

I know the world hates us black robed folks, but have you seriously considered legal action against JLR India, the Dealer and Tata Motors? Not just your ordinary consumer court process, but a serious attack, including filing criminal complaints and civil suits to recover damages. I know the legal route is long, frustrating and often drains you out (or does owning a LR-4 do that). Get a competent lawyer and watch how the fun begins.
Old 24th February 2015, 13:47   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
I know the world hates us black robed folks, but have you seriously considered legal action against JLR India, the Dealer and Tata Motors? Not just your ordinary consumer court process, but a serious attack, including filing criminal complaints and civil suits to recover damages. I know the legal route is long, frustrating and often drains you out (or does owning a LR-4 do that). Get a competent lawyer and watch how the fun begins.
Yes, Better call Saul.
Sorry could not resits, esp with a handle such as "shady_lawyer"

On a more serious note, I think only a court case can make companies take their customers seriously.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 13:50   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, Better call Saul.
Sorry could not resits, esp with a handle such as "shady_lawyer"

On a more serious note, I think only a court case can make companies take their customers seriously.
{OFF-TOPIC} but s'all good man!
shady_lawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 13:53   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram.soma View Post
The reason for brake failure was drainage of brake fluid because of some loose connection between the brake wire and the brake near the front left tyre. The sales advisor, has stated the following reasons for the loose connection happening
1. Vehicle may have gone off-road and some stone might have hit it
2. The service interval is just 6 months and we were in 6.5 months as 60,000 mark wasn't yet touched and the connection will not last for more than 6 months
3. Cannot actually determine what and why this has happened (this is also one of the response that he gave)
I had a similar problem in my Tata Safari.
What was the culprit? Well I had given my car for repair where steering box had to be overhauled. While fitting it back, they had set the turning radius a little beyond recommended, and tire was rubbing against the brake lines. Over 500kms, it cut through. So when I hit the brake on the highway at 90, for the first few seconds it bit, and then the pedal went down. We escaped that day from a major accident. Luckily, since its a Tata vehicle I always carry brake fluids in the car along with other stuff. So every 10-20kms I put in some fluid, and drove on till the pedal became sort of dead again and somehow reached home.

This problem of breaking something else while repairing something else is endemic in Tata motors and their sister concerns. As a result, after every major service job, I ask the vehicle to be put in ramp so I can inspect the underbody. think of it as a PDI checklist you do before buying a vehicle.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks