Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2013, 22:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post

You can do a NEFT transfer. They are very reliable and I buy from them regularly. Just add them to your bank NEFT and it will be useful whenever you want to buy anything from them.
Okay, thanks a ton man , i'll ask my dad to do the transfer. Shall do that in a day or two.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 23:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Excellent thread with a wealth of information. Thanks for sharing.

Any clay (not clay lube - I use UWW) that you recommend and places to source them?

Last edited by PatienceWins : 17th November 2013 at 23:52.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 00:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Excellent thread with a wealth of information. Thanks for sharing.

Any clay (not clay lube - I use UWW) that you recommend and places to source them?
Thanks. I currently use Ultima Elastrofoam Clay Block sourced from Ultimate Detailerz in Bangalore. It is almost the same price as any good clay but since it is not a conventional clay bar, it has many advantages. You can easily do a hatch batch about 20 times with it so it turns out to be cheaper than any clay on the market. Plus, unlike clay; if you drop it by mistake you can simply rinse and reuse. In a similar scenario with a clay bar, you will need to throw away the clay.

Eco Car Care also sells their version of the Elastrofoam called Optimum Eraser Clay block. Both Elastrofoam and Eraser cost around Rs. 1,500.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 10:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post

I just looked up the color on Google images and it is a wonderful color to detail. If you use a Sealant or a Hybrid, you will get a very glossy; almost glass like reflections. If you go with a good wax, it will slightly darken the color and look warm and deep. Unfortunately, my current favorite sealant is out of stock with the seller otherwise I would have asked you to try that as it is very durable being a Sealant but looks better than traditional Sealants http://bringingbest.in/index.php?rou...product_id=114

For a Glossy look, pick any of these:
  • Duragloss 111 (Need to wait and then remove post application)
  • UPGP (Probably the easiest to use, just wipe on and you're done)
  • Carpro Reload (A spray sealant like UPGP but need to wipe off post application)
For a deep, warm look of a wax; pick any of these:
I own an opulent purple XUV and am attaching the image along with. Kindly suggest which of the waxes/sealants will be the best for shine and swirl marks?
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20131031_170706.jpg  

Old 18th November 2013, 12:01   #35
BHPian

@pedaltothefloor a very informative thread and very well written reviews. I will pen down reviews of few of the Sealants/Waxes I have used in the past. Thanks for taking the initiative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
I own an opulent purple XUV and am attaching the image along with. Kindly suggest which of the waxes/sealants will be the best for shine and swirl marks?
Manas, that's a cool looking drive you have there . Being dark in color, you can't go wrong with most of the sealants or waxes, they can only make it look better.

However it would be interesting to see how does it look after a coat or two of either FourStar UPP or Black fire wet diamond. Though both are sealants, they are poly charged and always add something extra to the look.

Not sure if Four Star is available in smaller quantity, I bought some 100ml decanted from Ultimate Detailerz, but you will surely get a sample bottle of Blackfire wet diamond for around Rs 400-600, which should last you more than an year.

Other options worth exploring are, Colinite 845 or Collinite 476s.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 14:15   #36
BHPian

In addition to the excellent suggestions by linuxmanju, I would also consider Collinite 915 and Optimum Car Wax as both will darken the color a bit and add some warmth to that lovely color.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 14:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Col 915 would look great on your car. It's not as durable as a hybrid or a synthetic sealant. However other's can't beat the 915 looks on a dark colored XUV.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 14:43   #38
BHPian

Short review of Optimum Car Wax

Washed with Sonax shampoo> Sonax Polish> One coat of OCW> 2nd coat of OCW after 24 hours.

It is really easy and convenient to use this wax. The effort required is
minimal. It took 15 mins to wax the entire car. I think even the laziest of us can keep their cars looking good and protected without spending a lot of money.

Observations -
1. Light scratches which the paste waxes used to hide, remain visible.

2. It doesn't stain black plastic/rubber trim at all and imparts a subtle/matte shine to them. Applying this on my multispoke rims and making them shine was too easy.

3. Dust stuck to the car more than I had anticipated, on the first 2 days.
It was lesser on the 4th day. I cleaned the car and put a cover after that. This "sticking" could be because of foggy weather + construction going on near my house meaning more dust than usual.

4Oz bottle did 2 coats on my Accent, one coat on a Fabia, and still half the
bottle was left. Did I apply too little? Can/should this be topped up with a carnauba wax without compromising its durability?

Dealing with Eco Car Care was good. Very prompt replies to emails.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-ocw-2.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-ocw-3.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-ocw.jpg  

sinhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 16:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Short review of Optimum Car Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Washed with Sonax shampoo> Sonax Polish> One coat of OCW> 2nd coat of OCW after 24 hours.
Bit OT. How is the Sonax Polish? Did you use a polisher or by hand? I have one bottle lying around. Used it once and it needed some good elbow grease for making the slightest effect.
Old 18th November 2013, 16:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:

4Oz bottle did 2 coats on my Accent, one coat on a Fabia, and still half the
bottle was left. Did I apply too little? Can/should this be topped up with a carnauba wax without compromising its durability?
@sinhead, first of all thanks for the information shared, and your car looks awesome.

As far as topping with carnauba goes, as a rule of thumb ( or to the best of my knowledge ), you can top one nuba wax with the other without too much issues with the durability. Having said that, I have not tried it personally, but you can always try and let us know.

Other alternative if you want to avoid cleaning/polishing the surface again is that, you can try some cleaner waxes ( For eg.. Mother's California Gold Carnauba cleaner wax or Turtle Carnauba cleaner wax.. etc), with that you do not need to worry about the underlying wax as cleaners should most likely take care of it.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 18th November 2013 at 16:56.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 17:04   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Bit OT. How is the Sonax Polish? Did you use a polisher or by hand? I have one bottle lying around.
By hand. I find sonax polish good enough, but this is the only polish I have used. So cant give you a proper feedback.

The first time I used it, I emptied half the bottle in one go on my car + considerable effort to apply it and remove it, which gave a very wet, glossy look. It was much Later that I got to know about proper usage & technique.

I don't try to remove swirls and scratches by hand polishing. I have decided to live with them. So my intention this time was - 1) to remove minor swirls/ scratches with minimum effort, 2)the polish abrasives clean the paint surface and leave a good base for OCW and 3)I finish off this bottle I've been hoarding for 2 years, asap so that I can purchase a filler heavy polish.

Posting a recent pic after using this polish - This time using as little polish as necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-sonax-polish.jpg  

sinhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 19:39   #42
BHPian

Quote:
3. Dust stuck to the car more than I had anticipated, on the first 2 days.
It was lesser on the 4th day. I cleaned the car and put a cover after that. This "sticking" could be because of foggy weather + construction going on near my house meaning more dust than usual.
Some LSPs tend to do that but the dust attraction reduces after a wash as you have noticed. I have personally experienced this with OCW on multiple occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Bit OT. How is the Sonax Polish? Did you use a polisher or by hand? I have one bottle lying around. Used it once and it needed some good elbow grease for making the slightest effect.
It's not bad for cleansing the paint by hand and also lays down a decent base for a wax. It wont correct or hide anything though and the doesn't add much of gloss either.

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 18th November 2013 at 19:41.
Old 19th November 2013, 13:50   #43
BHPian

A small review on UPGP

As we all know UPGP is a WOWA liquid sealant and I have found it the easiest to use. I had bought the product from Ultimate Detailerz a few months back and used it around three times on my car.

On using it for the first time, I was stunned because you just wipe on with the applicator and that is it. To do my entire car, it took me around ten minutes for one coat. You will have to use it very sparingly, say 1-2 squirts on the applicator and cover 3-4 square feet. If not, it will leave streaks which would later need another coat. It took a while for me to understand the correct amount and technique to use and now it’s a breeze.

The product would normally take 45 minutes to an hour to set and the magic begins! The surface becomes slick and smooth and the shine begins to show up. However to get the shine you would need to add another coat and this is possible only after an hour of first application.

I’ve used my car in the rains with the sealant on and the paint surface beads like crazy. The water would stream of the bonnet while in motion. The sealant is claimed to last for months post application but I’m yet to test that part of it because I’m using it at least once every month. Mohsin of Ultimate Detailerz has advised that in our Indian conditions and vehicular usage, sealants wont last as long as they are claimed on the bottle, since those are tested under conditions in countries such as Europe. And he’s probably right since my car is parked outside daily, exposed to all the elements.

All said and done, I’m happy with the product, knowing in the back of my head that my paint is receiving a protection which will elongate its sheen for a long time!
alstonlobo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 16:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
A small review on UPGP
Thanks for sharing @alstonlobo. We would love to see pictures of your car with UPGP on it, please share if possible.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-index.jpg

For the benefit of others here, UPGP (Ultima Paint Guard Plus) is a spray sealant that does not need to be wiped off, so it is very easy to use. Ultima is a brand owned by Premium Finish Care in the USA. The Ultima line offers only a handful of products unlike other brands but all of their products are famous for being of exceptional quality.
Old 19th November 2013, 17:25   #45
BHPian

@pedaltothefloor ... WOW!! Simply WOW!!! ... the pictures of your car after the detailing are simply stunning to say the least ... absolutely love it

After seeing your car, I think I may also start doing some experiments to see if I can come anywhere close to how beautiful you made your ride look
anand.shankar82 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed