Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2016, 18:08   #406
BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

After reading the thread for several times I have somehow decided with the following method to go for a complete car detailing. I am still not sure whether this combination is the correct one, so please rectify any mistake present.
As like other DIY detailers, I want the shine to stay and not disappear just after one month of detailing.

1.Wash the car with shampoo dry in shade.

2.Clay the car using a clay bar with ONR solution as lubricant.

3.Use M105 cutting compound to remove all swirls and deep scratches.

4.UseM205 ultra finish polish to finish off.

5.Finishing off by applying DG601 with DG105 to protect the shine.
6.Apply collinite 845 wax on top.

Questions:-
1.Is m205&m105 recommend for a newbie like me if I would be applying it with my hands? I do not have a rotatory or a da polisher.
2.I wanted to use m21(sealant) and top it with m26 or collinite 845,but Sanjay from Bringinbest wants me to use duragloss. Which one is better?
3.I want the shine to stay so at what frequency should I wax the car to upkeep the shine.
Old 29th May 2016, 18:42   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaSierra View Post
After reading the thread for several times I have somehow decided with the following method to go for a complete car detailing. I am still not sure whether this combination is the correct one, so please rectify any mistake present.
As like other DIY detailers, I want the shine to stay and not disappear just after one month of detailing.

1.Wash the car with shampoo dry in shade.

2.Clay the car using a clay bar with ONR solution as lubricant.

3.Use M105 cutting compound to remove all swirls and deep scratches.

4.UseM205 ultra finish polish to finish off.

5.Finishing off by applying DG601 with DG105 to protect the shine.
6.Apply collinite 845 wax on top.

Questions:-
1.Is m205&m105 recommend for a newbie like me if I would be applying it with my hands? I do not have a rotatory or a da polisher.
2.I wanted to use m21(sealant) and top it with m26 or collinite 845,but Sanjay from Bringinbest wants me to use duragloss. Which one is better?
3.I want the shine to stay so at what frequency should I wax the car to upkeep the shine.
Answers and suggestions:

1) These Meguiar's products are for professional i.e. detailer's use. For DIY and hand application I'd recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Compound followed by claying. Use Ultimate Polish next.

Finish off with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0 or Ultimate Wax. These are synthetic waxes/sealants. After 12-24 hours of cure time give it a coat of Collinite 845 which is a Carnauba wax. If you are really up to it, use Collinite 476s It is tough to wipe off but this is one wax that lasts a long time.

As with all waxes remember to use THIN coats. THIN is IN! Excessive wax is wastage of the product and makes it far more difficult to wipe off.

2) No experience with Duragloss

3) Waxing frequency depends on the colour of your car (darker colours need more frequent waxing IMO especially when parked in the Sun) how frequently the car is washed, how it is washed and with what shampoo etc. Also, where you park your car also affects the longevity of the wax coat. If you car is in a covered or stilt parking, wax it every 6-8 weeks. If it is mostly parked outside in the hot Sun then give it a wash and wax every 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th May 2016 at 18:45.
Old 29th May 2016, 20:28   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Answers and suggestions:

1) These Meguiar's products are for professional i.e. detailer's use. For DIY and hand application I'd recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Compound followed by claying. Use Ultimate Polish next.
Isn't the claying done right after washing and before applying the ultimate compound?
Another question, will I get the same results with the consumer line products that I would have got if I had used the professional range products? I also read somewhere that m105 and m205 can also be applied by hand.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th June 2016 at 08:20. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 29th May 2016, 22:35   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaSierra View Post
Isn't the claying done right after washing and before applying the ultimate compound?
That's the way I'd do it. Use the compound, wash the car, use the clay bar before proceeding to the polish and wax. You can clay before using the compound if that's what you wish.

Quote:
Another question, will I get the same results with the consumer line products that I would have got if I had used the professional range products? I also read somewhere that m105 and m205 can also be applied by hand.
You should get the same results. The main differences in consumer and professional products:

a) The tools used to apply the product
b) The experience involved in getting the best results.
c) Available in larger quantities for detailing garages
d) Wide pro range to enable detailers get the best results

The manufacturer recommends application using a power tool but it can be applied by hand.

I'd recommend going with the consumer range as they are generally cheaper, available in consumer level quantities plus easier to use. In the end it's your call. Good luck and do post before/after photos.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 13:51   #410
BHPian

Just used Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax. What insane beading. As good, if not better than Sonax BSD + Sonax PNS combo which I also currently have.

Absolutely value for money as well. Superb 70-30 (not the cheap 80-20) 40x60 MF and a soft foam applicator in a nice aluminium tin. Love it!

Thank you Detailedclean.in for getting it here for the same price as the UK! (No affiliation at all, just recognition!)

Will post beading pics soon!

Last edited by d_himan : 25th June 2016 at 13:52.
Old 28th June 2016, 00:37   #411
Senior - BHPian

User Review: Mother's California Gold Synthetic Wax
Note:
I shouldn't be reviewing these products as I have very little experience with them. Do bear with me as this will be my first review on the forum

Monday morning! I don't how or why I was so jobless to check out that email from Amazon! But I'm glad I did. They were running some good offers on their Mother's range of products!
I had to choose between the deep gloss carnauba wax or the longer lasting synthetic wax. I decided for the latter for longer protection. I wasted no time, called up my dad, and ordered the last 2 pices in stock! The second one being for my bro who just bought a new Grand i10
MRP:3500 (or so I thought)
After discount: 900
Received it 2 days later.
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_0337.jpg
Decided to apply it on the i10 since it was new. Well, I learned a lesson. You STILL need to clay the car however new it is!
Here are some pictures. I guess its pretty good as my previous experience was with 3M's wax, which was disappointing to say the least.
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_0318.jpg
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_0320.jpg
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img20160623wa0002.jpg.jpeg

At the end of the day, after a drizzle.
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_0329.jpg
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_0333.jpg
I guess the water beading effect is decent. I applied a very thin layer. Wanted to apply another layer later but couldn't.

Here's another picture showing how much I used. Due to the firm nature of the paste, only a little amount comes onto the applicator pad! Easy to apply and easy to wipe off!! It satisfied me for the price paid!
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_0338.jpg

Will I buy it next time?
Well, no. I'm looking forward to try the Colinite 845 next time around. After that, it depends!

But here's the other part of the story!
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_0339.jpg
This pack was defective! Was returned the next day.
Remember about the MRP?? 3500??
Well, somebody needs to explain this!!
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img20160622wa0003.jpg.jpeg
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img20160622wa0004.jpg.jpeg
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 07:07   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
.....Well, no. I'm looking forward to try the Colinite 845 next time around. After that, it depends!.....
I've a bottle of Colinite 845 bought around last Diwali - the ingredients are separated into liquid and solids and can't be mixed even with vigorous shaking.
Old 28th June 2016, 07:33   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
I've a bottle of Colinite 845 bought around last Diwali - the ingredients are separated into liquid and solids and can't be mixed even with vigorous shaking.
A quick search reveals that you should heat it up in a bowl of hot water. I understand that the wax is temperature sensitive
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 12:56   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
A quick search reveals that you should heat it up in a bowl of hot water. I understand that the wax is temperature sensitive
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
It's not hot water, but warm water. The wax melts at ambient temps of about 30-33 C. Once you see the wax getting back into its liquid form give the bottle a good shake (keep your finger tightly on the cap) so that all the constituents of the wax bottle have a chance to mix. The shaking also serves to melt the wax faster.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 08:32   #415
BHPian

Hello friends, i just bought Chemical Guys Jet Seal Sealant for my car but on many forums i have seen people recommending to remove any early coat of wax/ sealant before applying a new one.

I applied Meguiars wax around 2 months back on my vehicle and wish to strip off the wax for applying the sealant and need your suggestions for the same. Kindly let me know the easy and safe way to strip off the wax, not hurting my clear coat. I have heard compounding a car removes old wax but at the same time i do not wish to compound my new car.

Also, some people on international forums have suggested dish washer but i think it is not very effective and it can hurt the clear coat at the same time. Is their any easy DIY solution or shampoo that can do this for me. Looking for your help guys. God bless, happy detailing.
Old 23rd January 2017, 16:00   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
Kindly let me know the easy and safe way to strip off the wax, not hurting my clear coat.
Wipe the car down with isopropyl alcohol, that will strip the wax/sealant
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 17:30   #417
BHPian

No affinity with the website. But found a great deal at Carpowergrid.com. Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer with a MF cloth at Rs.620! This is the lowest I’ve ever seen world-wide. Grab it while it lasts. I ordered one for myself plus a few other items to make the cart Rs.1000 and avail free shipping.
d_himan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 18:06   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
No affinity with the website. But found a great deal at Carpowergrid.com. Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer with a MF cloth at Rs.620! This is the lowest I’ve ever seen world-wide. Grab it while it lasts. I ordered one for myself plus a few other items to make the cart Rs.1000 and avail free shipping.
Awesome! Thanks! But I see the packaging has changed. Is it the same product quality wise? I actually own the older silvery gray bottle which I absolutely love. Hope they have not changed anything chemically.
Old 22nd February 2017, 20:09   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazer2013 View Post
Awesome! Thanks! But I see the packaging has changed. Is it the same product quality wise? I actually own the older silvery gray bottle which I absolutely love. Hope they have not changed anything chemically.
Newer packaging, change in colour from white to blue. I had the grey bottle too. Tried it, exactly the same feeling of application. This should reassure you: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=376429
Old 22nd February 2017, 22:43   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Thank you for the heads up! Ordered a few sets along with other sonax stuff.

My grey bottle finished last month too

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_20140106_105126.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks