Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2015, 10:44   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post

1. Do I need a Wax and sealant ? or just one would do ?
2. Which wax and Sealant combo would you recommend?
3. Which clay should I buy ? Soft or Regular ? any brand suggestions ?
4. Can I use water as the lubricant while claying ?
5. I have a can of Formula1 Carnuba wax (liquid), should I use it till its over ? will it introduce new swirls ?
6. I also, have a can of F1 wash and Wax, should I dump it or use it with the new wax if I am buying them ?
7. When your jopasu duster gets a bit dirty, do you clean them or dump them for a new one ? (dumb question I know)

Apologies for the flurry or question, just that most of my previous vehicles have been silver/white/beige colors, so a bit paranoid with the Red one now..
1.Warm deep glow and wet look - Wax
Glossy finish and hard candy look - Sealant

2.Sealant - Ultima paint guard plus. For the sheer ease of use and durability
Wax - Hybrid - Collinite. Pure wax - Poorboys Natty Blue(very under rated)

3.Get Ultima Elastrofoam or carpro clay block. Lot easier to use and does the job better than clay. Clay bars are a passe now.

4.No. Use Optimum No Rinse or Ultima Waterless Wash plus.

5.Wax does not induce swirls. Yes you can use it.

6.Use it. No problems

7.Wash with a very mild soap and cold water and hang dry.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 12:53   #362
BHPian

Hello friends.Due to water shortage, many societies including mine have prohibited car washing. Is there any product which can be used to wash the car without using water? I wash my car twice a week and polish once in 2 months. I try to avoid using hard water as it dulls the finish and leaves residue.
urban legend is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 10:57   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
Hello friends.Due to water shortage, many societies including mine have prohibited car washing. Is there any product which can be used to wash the car without using water? I wash my car twice a week and polish once in 2 months. I try to avoid using hard water as it dulls the finish and leaves residue.
I'm using Optimum No Rinse car wash. For washing, I use 20ml dissolved into 1 litre of water. I use pressure sprayer which is available in shell pumps. 1 litre of water is more than enough to wash my Punto Evo. If you are really conservative you could wash your car in 750 ml or even 500 ml. After washing with ONR, the car really shines and after that you can polish and apply wax.

Are you expecting an answer like this or are you looking for a solution without using a single drop of water?
puntoer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 22:10   #364
BHPian

Thanks puntoer ; I will use optimum no rinse wash and shine and post my feedback.
Old 11th September 2015, 15:31   #365
BHPian

I have this mantra.

1. Stop going to Gym atleast 3 days before.
2. Eat good biryani for 2 days (or 3 days).
3. Start washing car on 3rd day (when you have not eaten biryani).
4. Use 2 bucket system.
5. After mild wiping post washing, do a coating of Collinite Fleet Wax. Or if its Sealant's time, go for sealant coating.
6. Rest for a while and chase crows / pigeons from the locality.
7. Start Wax on and wax off process.
8. Feel pain in every part of the body.
9. Crash on the floor and sleep for the whole day.
10. Wake, take bath, watch movie and admire your wax work on the car. Chase the cat that pissed on the freshly cleaned and dressed wheels. Say bad words about cat and its family.
11. Chill out. Sleep.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th September 2015 at 17:26. Reason: References to alcohol removed. Please refer to our rules before posting!
prithm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 10:31   #366
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Guys,

1. Do I need a Wax and sealant ? or just one would do ?
Sonax Polymer NetShield for the best durability, Sonax Extreme Protect & Shine for ease of usage while compromising on durability just a little bit, Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer if you just want a spray that you can use once a month and admire the beading & sheeting as well as wonder how your car stays clean after the rain and dust

Quote:

3. Which clay should I buy ? Soft or Regular ? any brand suggestions ?
Anything is fine. Ultima Elastrofoam lasted me almost 2 years.

Quote:
4. Can I use water as the lubricant while claying ?
Better to use UWW or ONR or at least a QD

Quote:
7. When your jopasu duster gets a bit dirty, do you clean them or dump them for a new one ? (dumb question I know)
I replace it every 3 months. have tried washing it but it's just not the same.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 19:24   #367
BHPian

Been reading through this thread for a bit as well as the Collinite 845 thread for info on waxes. I recently get a 'teflon' coat done on my two month old red Swift as the cleaning guy has covered every inch of it in swirl marks despite repeated instructions. The treatment was done at Maruti and was simply a machine application of 3M Perfect-it swirl mark remover (06064) and a hand application of 3M Show Car Paste Wax (39526). They will give me two follow up wax coats after six months.

I was wondering if I want to maintain a coat of wax on the car's paint, would it be OK to use Collinite 845 or do I need to look at other products? Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 16th September 2015, 16:38   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
Been reading through this thread for a bit as well as the Collinite 845 thread for info on waxes. I recently get a 'teflon' coat done on my two month old red Swift as the cleaning guy has covered every inch of it in swirl marks despite repeated instructions. The treatment was done at Maruti and was simply a machine application of 3M Perfect-it swirl mark remover (06064) and a hand application of 3M Show Car Paste Wax (39526). They will give me two follow up wax coats after six months.

I was wondering if I want to maintain a coat of wax on the car's paint, would it be OK to use Collinite 845 or do I need to look at other products? Any tips would be appreciated.
I have not used Collinite but I believe it is a good brand.

I am recently started using Meguiars Yellow liquid wax 26 and I have to say it is one of the best wax I come across. Application is easy and the gloss is fantastic but the downside as per the Meguiar's forum members is it will not last long.

I usually perform the cleaning and polishing in the below form
Wash -> Formula 1 Scratch out (to remove scratches) -> Meguiar's Ultimate Polish -> Meguiar's Yellow liquid Wax 26.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Meguiars-Hi-T...item4af0407d8c

Previously I have used 3M wax and Formula 1 wax. 3M was okay but Formula 1 was very bad to remove after the application.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 17:37   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I have not used Collinite but I believe it is a good brand.

I am recently started using Meguiars Yellow liquid wax 26 and I have to say it is one of the best wax I come across. Application is easy and the gloss is fantastic but the downside as per the Meguiar's forum members is it will not last long.

I usually perform the cleaning and polishing in the below form
Wash -> Formula 1 Scratch out (to remove scratches) -> Meguiar's Ultimate Polish -> Meguiar's Yellow liquid Wax 26.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Meguiars-Hi-T...item4af0407d8c

Previously I have used 3M wax and Formula 1 wax. 3M was okay but Formula 1 was very bad to remove after the application.
Thanks for the info. However, my concern is that since the service centre used 3M paste wax 39526 which is not available in India in stores especially online, which product would be suitable to complement the existing wax's protection and not cause any issues with it? I thought of Collinite since it is basically a non-abrasive hard wax. I may be mistaken, though.

The Meguiar product you mentioned looks reasonably priced, too. Seems like an attractive option. Wonder how it compares to the other products and if it will be suitable for the existing coat of wax.
Old 16th September 2015, 17:45   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. However, my concern is that since the service centre used 3M paste wax 39526 which is not available in India in stores especially online, which product would be suitable to complement the existing wax's protection and not cause any issues with it? I thought of Collinite since it is basically a non-abrasive hard wax. I may be mistaken, though.

The Meguiar product you mentioned looks reasonably priced, too. Seems like an attractive option. Wonder how it compares to the other products and if it will be suitable for the existing coat of wax.
I suggest you to wash your car and apply "new" wax on your car. In my experience, you can safely change the wax for your car. Meguiar's products are one of the best in the detailing business. AFAIK Meguiar's Yellow liquid Wax 26 is not an abrasive wax.

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish however contains mild abrasives.
Old 16th September 2015, 18:04   #371
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you to wash your car and apply "new" wax on your car. In my experience, you can safely change the wax for your car. Meguiar's products are one of the best in the detailing business. AFAIK Meguiar's Yellow liquid Wax 26 is not an abrasive wax.

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish however contains mild abrasives.
You know, I'd remove the wax the service centre applied but I paid a good 3k for the whole treatment. Don't want to undo their work (read my hard earned money) just yet. Wanted to preserve it.
Old 16th September 2015, 21:57   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Meguiar's products are one of the best in the detailing business. AFAIK Meguiar's Yellow liquid Wax 26 is not an abrasive wax.
Well, I googled around and noticed that this product has some pretty good reviews and the price is also much lower than Collinite 845. As a cheaper alternative it seemed to be a good deal so I ordered a bottle from the link you shared. Since it is Meguiar's it shouldn't be bad. What do you suggest on applicators? Do I need a Meguiar's pad or any other foam pad or microfiber cloth will do?
Old 16th September 2015, 23:34   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meguiar's M26 is an EXCELLENT and very underrated wax. There aren't man expensive waxes that come close to the looks provided by M26.

Few pics of a friend's palio wearing a single coat of M26 :

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img20150501wa0017001.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img20150501wa0016001.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img20150501wa0009001.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img20150501wa0008001.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 00:01   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Meguiar's M26 is an EXCELLENT and very underrated wax. There aren't man expensive waxes that come close to the looks provided by M26.

Few pics of a friend's palio wearing a single coat of M26
Whoa! Is that black chrome?? That is some serious mirror-like glaze! Oh, wait... That's what it says on the bottle! Seems like I did right to take the suggestion on getting the yellow 26.
Old 17th September 2015, 21:08   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I googled around and noticed that this product has some pretty good reviews and the price is also much lower than Collinite 845. As a cheaper alternative it seemed to be a good deal so I ordered a bottle from the link you shared. Since it is Meguiar's it shouldn't be bad. What do you suggest on applicators? Do I need a Meguiar's pad or any other foam pad or microfiber cloth will do?
I suggest you to buy Meguiar pads. This pad has dense foam. They don't absorb the wax / polish like a normal sponge. One example is the sponge comes with Motomax polish / wax.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Meguiars-Gold...-/221871442493

First apply the wax with the applicator pad and allow it to dry for atleast 15 minutes. To check whether the wax is dry or not, rub your finger against the waxed area and the wax should not smear.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...The-Swipe-Test

Place your vehicle in a sunshade and apply wax. Make sure the temperature is less than 30 c. If the surrounding area is damp (rain) you have to wait for more time for the wax to dry.

Once the wax is dry, wipe the area with a Microfiber cloth. It is better to wipe with multiple microfiber cloths.

Note: Don't apply wax on plastic / rubber area. It will change the colour.

@sunnyboi: The Palio looks awesome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks